Consciousness is a Biological Problem

salima

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 02:50 am
@Kielicious,
"How this provides further evidence against the concept of a 'soul' will come up later."...........KJ #700

hmm...i hope not too much later because now i am starting to lean towards the other side of the fence again. what you have just posted looks to me like a reason to suspect that there may be something else in there that hasnt been defined.
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 07:12 pm
@Kielicious,
There is a basic outline that I am generally following, meree baheen salima chan, but I will try to see if I can arrange a post on that a little earlier. As you will probably be able to understand, there is kind of a timing, as well. I hope to lay more foundation (making more points on the field) before developing what understanding is best drawn out of the evidence (connecting the dots, if you will), afterwhich I intend to argue against both the 'soul' camp's position and jeeprs #98 proposition. As I have mentioned somewhere before, my style is usually a bottom-up style (building on a foundation-like argumentation) rather than so much of a top-down style, or a random style (which appears common on internet forums). Unfortunately, what seems to happen at times (not pointing towards anyone here, just general experience) is that since most are of the 'I want it here, now-like' emotion (on forums), they don't want to wait until the foundation has been somewhat properly laid out to argue points--which is why I get retorts to the likes of, 'you're just saying the same thing over and over again, and are not making an argument.'

For the moment, please do trust me, in that while I can see how, with that previous post alone, one may be able to associate (patternize) a 'soul-like' separation out of the situation, it is by far the least likely answer (as seen when other conditions are added into the broth of the overall understanding). One thing to keep in mind with the motor system understandings (and this much is very, very secure an understanding) is that while the cortical areas have control over the sub-cortical areas in motor control, and those, in turn, relay information which helps in cortical feed-forward-like decision making (esp. prefrontal to sensoromotor relay stuff after mid-brain coloring [such as 'emotional attachment' to signals]), when some degree of abnormality occurs in the basal ganglia, that control can be, and very often is, lost. What then occurs, is that that sub-cortical structure is performing on its own to some degree--sometimes more, sometimes less. This is because, as I have pointed out before (and which may well take some more time to more fully appreciate), brain is conscious. (where conscious does not refer to the overall state of the brain having consciousness, but that state which is in the continuum, AND, brain is in the uncountable context.)
salima

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:55 am
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;87776 wrote:

For the moment, please do trust me, in that while I can see how, with that previous post alone, one may be able to associate (patternize) a 'soul-like' separation out of the situation, it is by far the least likely answer (as seen when other conditions are added into the broth of the overall understanding). One thing to keep in mind with the motor system understandings (and this much is very, very secure an understanding) is that while the cortical areas have control over the sub-cortical areas in motor control, and those, in turn, relay information which helps in cortical feed-forward-like decision making (esp. prefrontal to sensoromotor relay stuff after mid-brain coloring [such as 'emotional attachment' to signals]), when some degree of abnormality occurs in the basal ganglia, that control can be, and very often is, lost. What then occurs, is that that sub-cortical structure is performing on its own to some degree--sometimes more, sometimes less. This is because, as I have pointed out before (and which may well take some more time to more fully appreciate), brain is conscious. (where conscious does not refer to the overall state of the brain having consciousness, but that state which is in the continuum, AND, brain is in the uncountable context.)

very intriguing. this may be extremely relevant to my line of thinking, though my line of thinking may be totally irrelevant. anyway, my interest is piqued once again.
Pathfinder

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 05:26 am
@salima,
salima;87814 wrote:
very intriguing. this may be extremely relevant to my line of thinking, though my line of thinking may be totally irrelevant. anyway, my interest is piqued once again.

Do not be swayed by the material Salima, remember that biology cannot answer the metaphysical components of life and do not even try. The reason that biology sounds rational is because they separate themselves completely from the unexplainable. They do not have to have their visage confused because they do not look in that direction at all. It is like a person standing with their back to the mirror and pleased with what they do not see. What is truth remains in the mirror regardless of their ostrich-like stance. Do not bury your head in the sand with them unless you choose to become a biologist.

Biologists do not look in the mirror, they look through a microscope at pieces of life. Philosophers try to take the pieces and put them together by looking directly into the mirror.
richrf

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 07:45 am
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;87820 wrote:
It is like a person standing with their back to the mirror and pleased with what they do not see.

Hi Pathfinder,

Everyone can look in exactly the same mirror and see something different. The details of an image that one might see are completely different for a fashion designer vs. a financial broker.

Becoming aware may be the just result of experience and I do not think it can be rushed. A baby when born gradually becomes more and more aware of the surrounding world. Some things take time. That is why I do not try to persuade. However, I am more than happy to answer questions. Everyone evolves in their own time and own space, and each path, I feel, is legitimate. But one might also want to learn to listen to their heart (their Shen/Spirit) as well as their Will (what they want to see). If it feels incomplete, if it feels sterile and barren, if it feels like something is missing or wanting, then what I do is keep looking.

Rich

Rich
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 06:31 pm
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;87776 wrote:
... afterwhich I intend to argue against both the 'soul' camp's position and jeeprs #98 proposition.

... you may want to reconsider the jeeprs #98 part ... I just re-read it and it seems to be in line with the cutting edge of artificial intelligence, robotics, cognitive science, and evolutionary thinking ... no explicit mysticism that I can detect - only an assertion that there is more of the world involved in consciousness than just neural circuitry ...
Kielicious

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 07:12 pm
@William,
Quote:
But then, with a TV turned off, there is no television show, either. Yet TV shows are not produced by the television, they are only transmitted by it. Take out the blue gun, for example, and the colours will not display properly. Unplug the television and you will see nothing.

Im sorry but this analogy, which has been abused a number of times by skeptics, is not only trivializing the matter and humanities entire epistemology, but also gets us no where fast. Radical skepticism is only entertainment for the mentally shallow. We all have thoughts about the supernatural, living inside a matrix, brains in vats, etc... but, honestly, where does this get us? This mind-numbing thought process has no way of being verified, justified, or has even a single pragmatic property. Should I respond with just the same insanity by asserting some sort of solipsistic scenario? If you want to claim hyperdualism, SUPPORT IT. This goes for anyone.
paulhanke

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 07:36 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;87919 wrote:
Im sorry but this analogy, which has been abused a number of times by skeptics, is not only trivializing the matter and humanities entire epistemology, but also gets us no where fast. Radical skepticism is only entertainment for the mentally shallow. We all have thoughts about the supernatural, living inside a matrix, brains in vats, etc... but, honestly, where does this get us? This mind-numbing thought process has no way of being verified, justified, or has even a single pragmatic property. Should I respond with just the same insanity by asserting some sort of solipsistic scenario? If you want to claim hyperdualism, SUPPORT IT. This goes for anyone.

... hmmm - I don't even know what hyperdualism is, and so am unfamiliar with the history of this TV analogy Smile ... but taking those four sentences in the larger context of the post, they can be read as an analogy that human consciousness can be radically altered by removing key parts of the brain, the body, and/or the world ... that human consciousness, as the dynamic nexus of these, can fail catastrophically and may in fact never have arisen without all three ... perhaps I am misreading jeeprs here - but if you remove those offending four lines from the post would you then find it reasonable? ...
Kielicious

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 07:59 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;87923 wrote:
... hmmm - I don't even know what hyperdualism is, and so am unfamiliar with the history of this TV analogy Smile ... but taking those four sentences in the larger context of the post, they can be read as an analogy that human consciousness can be radically altered by removing key parts of the brain, the body, and/or the world ... that human consciousness, as the dynamic nexus of these, can fail catastrophically and may in fact never have arisen without all three ... perhaps I am misreading jeeprs here - but if you remove those offending four lines from the post would you then find it reasonable? ...

The first half of the post bags on 'materialism' as a support system for the second half of his idealism -claiming that there are some sort of 'rules' or 'laws' of consciousness embedded in reality (i.e. that consciousness is fundamental to reality). This is noted by, "Therefore, I argue, the brain does not create consciousness. The requirements for consciousness create the brain." and why he talks about natural laws by analogy. As for consciousness being affected by environment, seems pretty obvious to me. Losing or gaining sensory perception alters consciousness. That is why if we have electroreceptive organs our consciousness would vary drastically from what we have now. It seems to me that alot of the mythology regarding consciousness has clouded our minds and has kept us wanting to keep the mysterious a mystery. For seeing how the card trick is done by a magician kinda takes away from its value from then on.

Edit: Hyperdualism is where the TV analogy comes from. It poses that the brain is equivalent to a receiver and 'receives' consciousness from some other realm. That is why it came up with the TV analogy.
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 08:02 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;87910 wrote:
... you may want to reconsider the jeeprs #98 part ...

Thanks for you observation, paulhanke, and your taking the time to re-read and go over points made in the process of this thread. I will take that into consideration, and thus will go over other possible relations and connections. I also would like to point out, that I have taken that particular presentation there, in light of other things said in other threads, and an overall position from which that particular post had thus evidently come (although I will not deny that there could be some room for error in understanding, conceptualizing, 'reading').

Also, I have come to reason, thus far (signifying that it would not be the case that a final, nothing more to be known, situation is where I find things) that there is some kind of a seemingly so failing, a slack, or a 'not having considered a few detailed matters of definitions for a number of things'-like discrimination in the 'assertion that there is more of the world involved in consciousness than just neural circuitry'. In my responding to jeeprs #98, I'll test the overall assertion then; also checking to verify any relationship with mysticism (although probably not going into that here on this thread). [which I do tend to sense is there, actually]
richrf

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 08:02 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;87919 wrote:
Radical skepticism is only entertainment for the mentally shallow.

It amazes me how quickly people reveal themselves with their own words. It's as if their own consciousness can't help itself from projecting its own self on other people. For me, it is one of the most fascinating discoveries, and I owe it to Oscar Wilde:

"The highest, as the lowest, form of criticism is a mode of autobiography."
Picture of Dorian Gray
Oscar Wilde

Quote:
"We all have thoughts about the supernatural, living inside a matrix, brains in vats, etc... but, honestly, where does this get us?"
It gets one looking at life from another perspective. One that doesn't require one to make a statement as your quote above. You just find yourself looking at life less dogmatically and more as a natural evolving process in which everyone participates equally. The hierarchy, and the need for the hierarchy, disappears. I don't have to feel smarter or better than someone else. Do you?

Quote:
This mind-numbing thought process has no way of being verified, justified, or has even a single pragmatic property.
It just seems to fit into describing things very nicely. In any case, I never thought much of verification. Often it is just a group of people asserting some idea in order to justify some preconceived notion. This has been the case, as far as I can tell, throughout human history. Something is always felt to be true without doubt. And it continues on today.

Quote:
Should I respond with just the same insanity by asserting some sort of solipsistic scenario? If you want to claim hyperdualism, SUPPORT IT. This goes for anyone.
You can respond in any way you wish. I am always open to new ideas. Some I find interesting enough to follow up on others not. Actually, I find completely new ideas the most interesting. Retreads of ideas that I have already heard a million times does nothing to further my own personal evolution. I welcome new ideas all the time. That is why I am on a philosophy forum. In fact, one of my first threads was asking people for their most creative new idea.

Also, hyperdualism does not at all represent my own personal perspective. I very much believe that the brain and consciousness are one and the same. The brain being something that consciousness created in order to share its creations with others. The information flows through the continuum of consciousness ==> physical ==> consciousness as one seamless continuum, very much similar to Bohm's Implicate Order concept. It is very simple and easy to understand view of life, however, it requires one to accept what is obvious - that there is an observer that transcends the physical. All you have to do is peer through your eyes. That is the observer.

Rich
Kielicious

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 08:32 pm
@richrf,
salima wrote:
I denied consciousness? no, I denied mind.if you deny soul and it is synonymous with mind, you would also have to deny mind.

Well, it seemed like you did but maybe Im mistaken. And the reason why the term 'soul' is synonymous with 'mind' is because of religious personnel, not from secularists.

salima wrote:
I find the term redundant. but we are getting close now I think. the first and second of my queries can be combined by my understanding as follows:
are you saying that mind comprises a part of consciousness?

Im just using the terms synonymously. Mind = consciousness.

salima wrote:
perhaps you mean mind is subjective experience as defined by the content of the experience being confined to thoughts rather than perceived through the physical senses? brain is objective, while mind and consciousness are both subjective, though you can produce evidence to show they exist. is that a fair statement of your position?

No the two are the same, you're confusing terms. Perception is an act of awareness, which is an act of consciousness, which is subjective experience. Although, and here is where it gets even trickier, is that you can perceive stimuli but not be 'consciously' aware of it. (Think change blindness) Remember as far as the evolution of our brains go the prefontal cortex is relatively recent and this area acts a executive planner of sorts -which means 'awareness' (in the sense we are used to) is more modern than primative. So that doesnt mean some primitive life forms arent 'conscious' they just have a lesser 'degree' of consciousness.

But yes brain is objective, while mind or consciousness is subjective.

salima wrote:
regarding the last query I raised: so you think a sense of humor is irrelevant to the issue? I think neuroscience can show where is the domain of emotional content and what physical part of the brain reacts to certain stimuli to produce emotion, do you?

Probably not to fit specific regulations. Humor involves a symphony of several interconnected parts of your brain which is why I said you probably wont find the 'spot' of humor in the brain. You need a lymbic system, occipital or audio lobes (depending on the joke), a prefontal cortex to 'understand' the joke, etc. etc... This is why the ol' saying of only using 10% of your brain is retarded. We use our entire brain.

salima wrote:
maybe it cant-i could be wrong. however a sense of humor is not an emotion-and I am asking, has humor been pinned down like that? in other words for a start, is there an area in the brain which when stimulated with a probe will in every case cause the subject to experience the sense of humor and react by laughing as he would in any given situation he found humorous?

I doubt it but maybe. Yea ask KJ he knows alot.

salima wrote:
and no, I am not saying where this leads us as yet because I dont know. but I feel it is significant.

ok
paulhanke

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 08:38 pm
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;87930 wrote:
I also would like to point out, that I have taken that particular presentation there, in light of other things said in other threads, and an overall position from which that particular post had thus evidently come (although I will not deny that there could be some room for error in understanding, conceptualizing, 'reading').

... yep, I'm familiar with jeeprs explicit dives into mysticism - my observation was more to point out that you happened to choose one of the least mystic/idealistic of his posts (and the one most informed by the situated embodiment concept) to argue against Smile ...

---------- Post added 09-03-2009 at 09:09 PM ----------

Kielicious;87929 wrote:
The first half of the post bags on 'materialism' as a support system for the second half of his idealism -claiming that there are some sort of 'rules' or 'laws' of consciousness embedded in reality (i.e. that consciousness is fundamental to reality). This is noted by, "Therefore, I argue, the brain does not create consciousness. The requirements for consciousness create the brain." and why he talks about natural laws by analogy.

... ah - could be I've misread those parts because I often bag on reductive materialism myself ... that the intelligibility offered up by natural laws demonstrates one of the world's roles in consciousness ... that the human brain evolved out of an evolutionary advantage conferred by mind - "The requirements for consciousness" ...

Kielicious;87929 wrote:
It seems to me that alot of the mythology regarding consciousness has clouded our minds and has kept us wanting to keep the mysterious a mystery. For seeing how the card trick is done by a magician kinda takes away from its value from then on.

Edit: Hyperdualism is where the TV analogy comes from. It poses that the brain is equivalent to a receiver and 'receives' consciousness from some other realm. That is why it came up with the TV analogy.

... totally with ya on that - I see no more need to postulate the brain as a receiver of an ether of consciousness than I see the need to postulate the body as a receiver of an ether of life (or the hormone glands as receivers of emotion, and so on and so on) ...
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 01:24 am
@Kielicious,
Thanks for the note, paulhanke. I will check it out. (as I am basically giving that a little more attention in my outline at the moment . . . though other things will come up too)

salima;87208 wrote:
what is the biological explanation of humor? if there is an area in the brain that is responsible and must be stimulated what is its purpose? a person slips on a banana peel and falls down-why would this be a stimulus to humor? it would seem to be to be a learned response, as a result of the social context in which a person lives. now the question is, by what mechanism does social environment cause one brain to react by laughing and another by crying? how does social interaction change the material in the human brain so that it generates opposite behaviors?(bold mine)
(also see: #38, #50, #56, and #63, as well as above post in this thread)

Some things that maybe we'd really like to pin down to a very sure degree, will be keeping us awake at night for some decades to come...if not until our sun expands to the point of dehydrating the entire planet. I'll take a stab, in a way, at this inquiry--to the extent that I learned in my studies.

The best understanding is that humor, including a sense of humor, is an emotional matter. In a Nature (Vol 391, '98; p 850; Fried et al.) write-up on a surgery performed on a girl for (again) intractable epilepsy, the surgeon was probing to find determine the focal point and so as to not remove too much, an area of the supplementary motor cortex (close to a region in the frontal lobes that recieves input from the brain's emotional centers). He got a surprize when the patient (and as said before, in this part of the operation, the patients are conscious) started laughing quite uncontrollably, and gave any and every reason (left hemisphere interpreter working here) for the merriment, even saying to likes of, 'You guys are just so funny standing around.'

While it is rare, there a number of cases of 'pathological' laughter. This is not to identify it as a psychological matter, but simply one of uncontrollable brain activity. In one case, for example, a young man from London suddenly started to chuckle during the last moments of his mother's funeral. It grew into an outloud, on-going 'belly laugh' which finally stopped after several hours. That evening, his cousin took him to the hospital due to strangeness (the son had been very fond of his mother, no problem there, and so it was so out of place). Two days later, at the hospital, a nurse found him unconsious in bed from what turned out to be severe subarachnoid hemorrhage; he died with regaining consciousness. The postmortem showed a large ruptured aneurysm in an artery at the base of the brain that had compressed part of his hypothalamus, mammillary bodies, and other structures on the floor of his brain.

All cases show that structures of the limbic system are involved. In one report, even the adminstration of morphine had no effect on the laughter. These are the emotional involved structures with amygdala being a big player in a lot of ways, along with the above mentioned structures and a few others. What makes for a smile, and then laughter has theorized to be related to mimicry, coming from the 'threat grimmace,' and worked through an'alarm/false alarm' like relation--showing the canine teeth.

(That reminds me of an event [I'd have to search Science for that again] where one female fan of a particular gorrila at a zoo went to see him often. One day there, she may have been 'smiling back' at her too much, and thus showing disrespect [he may have taken her as being one of the harem members?], so he jumped the rather high wall, grabbed her, bit and hit some, and drug her to a building where he was at that point shot with a knock-out dart. She recoverd, but said she would still visit him.)

Damasio has carefully pointed out that it is most evident that while the brain responds to stimulus with an automatic emotion (the limbic system), it is not until it reaches the state of consciousness, that a 'feeling' emerges. This is something which has been shown in a good number of ways, and through case studies, to be the basic brain build, which in the H. sapien, has developed over time, through social bondings and culture, to be expressed or worked out in a number of different patterns, but all with a similar base. As I have pointed out before, in other areas, the H. sapien brain build is basically the same for all H. sapiens, and only social bonding and in-grouping building to cultural differences, makes the difference [for the most part]
0 Replies

odenskrigare

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 01:33 am
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;87944 wrote:
I doubt it but maybe. Yea ask KJ he knows alot.

actually yes

electrical stimulation in the right place in the temporal lobe can bring on euphoria and laughing fits

in fact temporal lobe stimulation can conjure up very strange feelings that people would not usually have otherwise

---------- Post added 09-04-2009 at 03:47 AM ----------

I'm reading a book about this called Emotion Explained, it's aimed at upper undergrad / early grad level students and has its dull stretches but if you read judiciously you can get a pretty good impression of emotion; its role in learning, cognition and our survival; and our current understanding of its underlying neural mechanisms
Pathfinder

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 05:10 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;72987 wrote:
Materialism is the belief that everything is reducible to matter. So of course the materialist view is that mind is a byproduct of the brain (=consciousness is biological). The brain is something you can examine. In the materialist, or naturalist, view, reality is what you examine through the microscope and the telescope. And you can surely demonstrate that without the brain, no consciousness exists, so it seems to have empirical support. Whack somebody on the head, no consciousness. Do a split-brain operation, observe a patient with damage to this or that part of the brain, and correlate the effect on their consciousness. It is quite simple.

But then, with a TV turned off, there is no television show, either. Yet TV shows are not produced by the television, they are only transmitted by it. Take out the blue gun, for example, and the colours will not display properly. Unplug the television and you will see nothing.

While it is certainly the case that for this or that subject, if the brain is non-functional, then there is no consciousness, why therefore assume that consciousness is something that occurs only within the individual brain? It might be considered that consciousness is actually a collective phenomena or structure and that in some sense it is also external to the brain (and the individual mind). Logically, this is supported by the fact that the structures which determine intellectual ability, such as language, spatial reasoning, and number, not to mention the many years of extra-somatic conditioning that occurs with humans after they are born (or culture), and which shapes their consciousness, are not the product of this or that individual brain but instead have shaped the brain.

Indeed they provide the structures by which consciousness is able to recognise and operate within the world and society. And without these structures - or forms - consciousness could not exist. Bring a child up with wolves, they will run around on all fours and bark. Deprive them of all sensory simulation, they will not even develop consciousness (hard to verify, I admit.) Yet the brain might be functionally quite intact (albeit atrophied). The brain is working, but consciousness has not developed nomally, or is absent, for reasons that have nothing to do with brain function.

For an example of the way in which the consituents of consciousness are neither biological nor internal, let us consider number.

I am sure we don't invent number. Numbers must be independent of particular minds because they are common to all who think. In coming to grasp them, consciousness cannot convert them into its possessions or alter them. Also the mind discovers rather than forming or constructing them, and its grasp of them can be more or less adequate. For this reason, numbers cannot be part of consciousness' own nature or produced by consciousness out of itself. They must exist independently of individual human minds.

Yet numbers are not material objects, and certainly not 'biological'. They are eternal and immutable (leaving aside for a moment questions of conditions at the singularity and other speculations). Certain numerical objects, such as prime numbers, could not exist, because all existing things can be divided, and prime numbers cannot be. They therefore cannot be perceived by means of the senses, but only by reason.

Consider also our grasp of natural laws. We can make predictions about how nature will operate and then test the predictions by experiment. If the predictions are falsified, we change our formulation of the laws. In this way, the law of nature must be higher than reason, because by it, reason is judged. Yet only by virtue of reason are we able to grasp it. And this is because reason is also the outcome of the operation of natural law. But again natural law is superior to reason.

On these grounds, I dispute that either natural laws or numbers are 'in our minds'. Certainly our minds grasp them, but they are not therefore a product of the brain. Yet consciousness cannot function effectively without such structures.

Now let us consider the evolution of consciousness. Certainly as human intelligence has evolved, so too has its ability to calculate and grasp abstract concept, to count and to discover natural law. Were early humans unable to count or predict the movements of the herds then presumably they would not have survived. So one can easily see that natural selection would promote intellectual ability, as it was germane to our existence. It will be hard to dispute that intellectual ability - consciousness - has evolved throughout millenia in response to the requirement to recognise abstract quality such as number and natural law. And that this has now given rise to abilities far above and beyond those needed for simple survival.

Therefore our very consciousness has evolved in accordance to the pre-existing intelligibility and order of the natural realm. So you can say that the intelligibility of the Universe must have pre-existed us, in order for our consciousness to work as effectively as it now does. Our intellectual ability evolved in response to the pressures of survival, in other words, the brain structures which supported just this type of consciousness developed through natural selection. As this happened, we realised greater and greater levels of consciousness (a process which is still in progress.) But that of which we are conscious, and to a large extent the means by which we are conscious of it, pre-exists us, and in an important sense 'gave birth' to us.

Therefore, I argue, the brain does not create consciousness. The requirements for consciousness create the brain.

[With acknowledgement to St. Augustine for the argument from numbers and intelligible forms.]

JEEPERS You nailed it man!

One other thought is how do the biology supporters rationalize the biological function of self-sacrifice? Surely the brains biological function is to do no harm, and yet there are instances where a person will sacrifice their life for a loved one. That suggests a consciousness separate from mere brain function.

What you say here about levels or degrees of consciousness is exactly what I have been saying Jeepers, I applaud your ability to relate it to them with such clarity.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:35 am
@Kielicious,
hi jeeprs-
I am not sure I understand the implication of your post. it seems to me that you are saying numbers and natural law exist apart and outside of human consciousness-yet we have been able to discover and use them, presumably with reason as a sensory function of the intellect? and by that being true does it follow that there is some part of our consciousness that is in effect apart and outside of us?

I am assuming that materialists will not believe there is any such realm beyond the physical and will see numbers as something we created. I was wondering if we could prove we know of anything outside the physical realm that would be enough to prove that there is something of human consciousness that exists in that realm as well. do you think so?

I have to keep looking for something else though, I am satisfied with kj and oden's answer on humor for now. no problem, I am easy to get along with.

my next avenue to follow would be art, the creation and appreciation of all forms of art. because of music having a physical effect through sound waves and vibrations, and colors having effects on emotion, it would be better to consider other forms of art excluding music, dance and paintings. there doesnt seem to me to be any logical reason for art to have evolved as a result of natural selection according to survival needs. for instance what is the reason someone would want to sculpt a statue and why would people want to see a collection of statues? where does this come from and what is its place in biological or neurological processes?

and pathfinder, it isnt going to be that easy. I myself can understand how the concept of self sacrifice would be valuable to prevent utter chaos and to preserve and ensure evolution of a species as a whole. it would be tempered by intellect and rarely used, but certainly a worthwhile addition to the biological makeup of an organism.

by the way, jeep, the article on noe was especially relevant, here is a quote:
"A useful analogy is life. What is life? We can point to all sorts of chemical processes, metabolic processes, reproductive processes that are present where there is life. But we ask, where is the life? You don't say life is a thing inside the organism. The life is this process that the organism is participating in, a process that involves an environmental niche and dynamic selectivity. If you want to find the life, look to the dynamic of the animal's engagement with its world. The life is there. The life is not inside the animal. The life is the way the animal is in the world.
This is perhaps the biggest idea I can talk with you about today: the problem of consciousness and the problem of life are in effect the same problem, and that the problem with so much of the science of consciousness today is that it treats consciousness as somehow separable from the mode of dynamic activity, which is the consciousness."
Kielicious

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 01:12 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;87983 wrote:
actually yes

electrical stimulation in the right place in the temporal lobe can bring on euphoria and laughing fits

in fact temporal lobe stimulation can conjure up very strange feelings that people would not usually have otherwise

---------- Post added 09-04-2009 at 03:47 AM ----------

I'm reading a book about this called Emotion Explained, it's aimed at upper undergrad / early grad level students and has its dull stretches but if you read judiciously you can get a pretty good impression of emotion; its role in learning, cognition and our survival; and our current understanding of its underlying neural mechanisms

Learn something new everyday...
0 Replies

odenskrigare

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 01:24 pm
@salima,
salima;88023 wrote:
my next avenue to follow would be art, the creation and appreciation of all forms of art. because of music having a physical effect through sound waves and vibrations, and colors having effects on emotion, it would be better to consider other forms of art excluding music, dance and paintings. there doesnt seem to me to be any logical reason for art to have evolved as a result of natural selection according to survival needs. for instance what is the reason someone would want to sculpt a statue and why would people want to see a collection of statues? where does this come from and what is its place in biological or neurological processes?

they have a value in society

e.g., music is definitely good at keeping together a band of soldiers fighting for survival and/or memetic transmission, that is, fighting for democracy, for monarchy, for communism, for capitalism, for reason, for dogma, etc.

placing aesthetic value may have a certain evolutionary value in that if you are overjoyed by the sight of greenery and even want to cultivate it you are more likely to survive as compared to living in a blasted dead landscape, at least that was my understanding reading a thread about evolutionary psychology on talk.origins many years ago

there's a clear reason to have aesthetic appreciation for sunlight because with it we can see potential threats in the environment more easily and without it we'll get rickets and starve

and the biological value of attaching aesthetic values to the human body goes without saying

finally, these factors all work together and a lot of our taste in arts / media may be sheer accident from different pressures working together in unexpected ways
jeeprs

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 08:20 pm
@salima,
salima;88023 wrote:
I am not sure I understand the implication of your post. it seems to me that you are saying numbers and natural law exist apart and outside of human consciousness-yet we have been able to discover and use them, presumably with reason as a sensory function of the intellect? and by that being true does it follow that there is some part of our consciousness that is in effect apart and outside of us?

I am assuming that materialists will not believe there is any such realm beyond the physical and will see numbers as something we created. I was wondering if we could prove we know of anything outside the physical realm that would be enough to prove that there is something of human consciousness that exists in that realm as well. do you think so?

Actually since posting that idea, way back when, my viewpoint has evolved a bit. It was kind of an AHA! moment. It was when I suddenly 'got' the basic idea of idealism, the role of the observer in the construction of knowledge, and the fact that reality is 'not what you see through the window' but 'you looking out the window', if you can appreciate the difference.

I am starting to see how this has been developed from Plato->Kant->Husserl->phenomenonology. And I don't think there is a 'realm' as such, but I am not going to go down that road for the time being, it isn't really necessary.

salima;88023 wrote:
by the way, jeep, the article on [Alva] Noe was especially relevant, here is a quote: "A useful analogy is life. What is life? We can point to all sorts of chemical processes, metabolic processes, reproductive processes that are present where there is life. But we ask, where is the life? You don't say life is a thing inside the organism. The life is this process that the organism is participating in, a process that involves an environmental niche and dynamic selectivity. If you want to find the life, look to the dynamic of the animal's engagement with its world. The life is there. The life is not inside the animal. The life is the way the animal is in the world.

This is perhaps the biggest idea I can talk with you about today: the problem of consciousness and the problem of life are in effect the same problem, and that the problem with so much of the science of consciousness today is that it treats consciousness as somehow separable from the mode of dynamic activity, which is the consciousness".

Nothing to add to that observation except to ask the question, do we see something of non-dualism in this analysis?

I think incidentally we are 'crossing threads' here....I will confine my comments to theother thread, the arguments are subtle enough as it is without having to remember which thread we are on....

---------- Post added 09-07-2009 at 02:14 PM ----------

Also, I rather regret having introduced the term 'materialist' to this debate, if indeed it was me that introduced it. Really this originated in a lot of the debates I was having at University in a different context. The meaning of the word has changed somewhat and besides it is really rather a divisive term. So I shall refrain from using it. I think 'physicalist' is a better way of describing the philosophical position and less divisive.