gojo1978

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 07:31 pm
@Theaetetus,
Obama! Obama! Obama! Obama! Obama!

Watching the ongoing issue on BBC news from here in the UK, it amazes and saddens me how ill-informed large swathes of America are about what the President is trying to achieve for them.

I do not believe in god, but if he exists, may he bless Barack Obama. He is a truly great man.
Aedes

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 07:43 pm
@RDRDRD1,
RDRDRD1;80519 wrote:
I thought I'd inject this anecdotal glimpse at "for profit" healthcare excerpted from today's Washington Post:

In August 2005, doctors at Urological Associates, a medical practice on the Iowa-Illinois border, ordered nine CT scans for patients covered by Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield insurance. In September that year, they ordered eight. But then the numbers rose steeply. The urologists ordered 35 scans in October, 41 in November and 55 in December. Within seven months, they were ordering scans at a rate that had climbed more than 700 percent.

The increase came in the months after the urologists bought their own CT scanner, according to documents obtained by The Washington Post. Instead of referring patients to radiologists, the doctors started conducting their own imaging -- and drawing insurance reimbursements for each of those patients.
This is one of the most notorious (and common) offenses in medicine, and there are already resolutions at the American Medical Association to ban self-referral. The example with urologists is the most commonly cited and famous, but there are others (neurologists who own an MRI machine, cardiologists who do in-office cardiac CT scans).

But there is also a gray zone. A surgeon seeing a patient in clinic should have the prerogative to operate on that patient if it's indicated. A cardiologist should be able to do a coronary angiogram or an echocardiogram or a stress test.
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 02:56 pm
@Theaetetus,
I oppose universal health care. Mainly for the reason that it is unfair to have the responsible pay for the irresponsible.
I agree that there should be some overhaul of the free market system in the US, which currently has its problems.
But besides that most of the statistics we hear thrown around are either statistical trickeries or not the fault of health care.
The WHO rating with the US on place 37 is that way because it rates free market systems down.
Life expectancy is simply short because of obesity and the dietary culture of the US. In Japan, with one of the highest life expectancies, they have a very different fish-rich diet.
The cost of health care in the US is high because of illegal immigration and obesity.
Infant mortality is high in the US because children dying within 24 hours are not counted and the US is better at keeping them alive into that time.

Most of the uninsured are young people who rather have a nice car and people who would be eligible under existing government programs but can't be bothered with the paperwork.
Caroline

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:45 pm
@Theaetetus,
Who are the irresponsible exactly nero?
EmperorNero

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:48 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;91041 wrote:
Who are the irresponsible exactly nero?

For example kids who rather buy a nice car than health insurance.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 05:08 pm
@EmperorNero,
And what about the poor who simply cannot afford the unspeakable cost of healthcare to begin with?
EmperorNero

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 05:24 pm
@Theaetetus,
What about them?
0 Replies

gojo1978

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 06:06 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;91060 wrote:
And what about the poor who simply cannot afford the unspeakable cost of healthcare to begin with?

Ah, well, you see, for Nero, that is their fault for being poor. :brickwall:
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 06:09 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;91060 wrote:

gojo1978;91080 wrote:
Ah, well, you see, for Nero, that is their fault for being poor. :brickwall:

Yes, you could say so. "If God loved poor people, he would not let them get sick." Wink
But seriously, instead of forcing others to pay for them why not create a real free market system where they can provide for themselves. Which is what we try so hard to eliminate in the name of fairness.
gojo1978

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 06:11 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;91081 wrote:
Yes, you could say so. "If God loved poor people, he would not let them get sick." Wink
But seriously, instead of forcing others to pay for them why not create a real free market system where they can provide for themselves. Which is what we try so hard to eliminate in the name of fairness.

I'll let Didymos deal with this one alone.

I've said my piece. :surrender:
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 08:12 pm
@gojo1978,
EmperorNero;91081 wrote:

Which do you imagine is the more practical road to take?

1) To somehow do what has never been accomplished - create a perfect, idealistic free market economy in which everyone is well off

or

2) To make slight adjustments in the current system in order to alleviate the unnecessary suffering of millions of people

Which is more likely to be possible in the next two years?
Aedes

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 08:56 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;91026 wrote:
I oppose universal health care. Mainly for the reason that it is unfair to have the responsible pay for the irresponsible.
So Nero, it so happens that tuberculosis is a highly communicable and deadly disease that predominantly affects poor people. If someone is poor due to irresponsibility, are you willing to catch tuberculosis because they will go untreated for lack of responsibility? How about measles -- measles still kills nearly 1 million kids a year worldwide, and it's so contagious that sustained transmission will happen if under 95% of the general population is functionally immune -- so are you willing to have your children catch measles just because poor people can't afford to be vaccinated?

EmperorNero;91026 wrote:
Most of the unemployed are young people who rather have a nice car and people who would be eligible under existing government programs but can't be bothered with the paperwork.
If they're unemployed then how do they get their nice cars?
Krumple

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:06 pm
@Aedes,
The issue is becoming incredibly clear. Just in the last few days it is obvious that the decision making for this health care plan is being left in the hands of the insurance companies. Most insurance companies do not work how they advertise. They often state they will cover something but come to find out later it was not the case. I can foresee this same type of behavior happening.

What will inevitably happen here is they will require everyone to have coverage. But at different rates or degree of coverage. Such as emergency care, or long term care. So they can ultimately charge more per policy but this in no way determines if you actually DO get treatment.

If you want to fix the system. Get rid of insurance companies and remove patent laws and lift the restrictions on companies to operate. Return the government to a contract holding system. If you sign a contract then you are held liable for said contract. None of this BS with letting companies off the hook because they bribed some judge. This will insure quality and bring back the competitive market that is in favor of consumers not companies.
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:45 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;91120 wrote:
Which do you imagine is the more practical road to take?

1) To somehow do what has never been accomplished - create a perfect, idealistic free market economy in which everyone is well off

or

2) To make slight adjustments in the current system in order to alleviate the unnecessary suffering of millions of people

Which is more likely to be possible in the next two years?

Who said anything about idealistic and perfect? What a strawman. :poke-eye:
The free market is the natural situation, we just need the government to quit meddling with it.
I'm not sure what you are referring to. But I am the one proposing slight adjustments to the current system. As far as I understood you are on the universal health care side.

That is your point? We can't ever be un-oppressed so we better deal with it? I though I was a cynic.

---------- Post added 09-18-2009 at 11:46 AM ----------

Aedes;91141 wrote:
So Nero, it so happens that tuberculosis is a highly communicable and deadly disease that predominantly affects poor people. If someone is poor due to irresponsibility, are you willing to catch tuberculosis because they will go untreated for lack of responsibility? How about measles -- measles still kills nearly 1 million kids a year worldwide, and it's so contagious that sustained transmission will happen if under 95% of the general population is functionally immune -- so are you willing to have your children catch measles just because poor people can't afford to be vaccinated?

The government should protect me from tuberculosis and for example quarantine those people.
Aedes;91141 wrote:
If they're unemployed then how do they get their nice cars?

Typo. I meant uninsured.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:27 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;91197 wrote:
Who said anything about idealistic and perfect? What a strawman

You want a pure free market system? That is idealistic and the search for a perfect system.

EmperorNero;91197 wrote:
The free market is the natural situation, we just need the government to quit meddling with it.

A pure free market is not the natural situation - there has never been such a thing, therefore it cannot be natural as it does not occur.

EmperorNero;91197 wrote:
I'm not sure what you are referring to. But I am the one proposing slight adjustments to the current system.

If you want a pure free market system, what you are proposing is a complete and incomparable overhaul of global economics.

EmperorNero;91197 wrote:
That is your point? We can't ever be un-oppressed so we better deal with it? I though I was a cynic.

No, we have very different ideas about oppression. I don't typically think of privileged millionaires who have to pay a slightly higher percent of income tax as oppressed people. [/COLOR]

EmperorNero;91197 wrote:
The government should protect me from tuberculosis and for example quarantine those people.

And this is not oppression?

You would have the government do nothing to help these people from getting ill, and then when they do become ill you would have the government forcefully round them up for quarantine? And what should the government do with these quarantined people - should the government treat them, let them die, what?
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:49 pm
@Theaetetus,
Where is Nero? Is he saying that these people who have contracted tuberculosis threw no fault of there own should be left to die? Aww where's the humanity in that?
BrightNoon

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:00 pm
@Caroline,
Are you, Caroline, saying that people who don't know Bob should be robbed by the state to save Bob from turburculosis? Awww, where's the justice in that? :sarcastic:
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:08 pm
@BrightNoon,
I would think that people should not be so selfish as to call taxes robbery when they go to help a fellow human being...
BrightNoon

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:17 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I would think its more holistic for a person to give to charity than to acquiesce to being robbed, or to advocate the robbing of others.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:39 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;91430 wrote:
Are you, Caroline, saying that people who don't know Bob should be robbed by the state to save Bob from turburculosis? Awww, where's the justice in that? :sarcastic:
Whose Bob brightmoon? Im talking about helping people, humanity, can you not see the justice? You have to try to see in order to understand, you have to help people if they want to be helped no matter how ill they are, they cannot help it, sometimes illness is inflicted on them by no other then the Devil himself/herself, I mean equal rights.