Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:41 pm
@Caroline,
Taxes are robbery? Sounds like someone has forgotten their social contract theory.... which happens to be sort of foundational in most western democracies.
gojo1978

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:58 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;91430 wrote:
Are you, Caroline, saying that people who don't know Bob should be robbed by the state to save Bob from turburculosis? Awww, where's the justice in that? :sarcastic:

Why don't you ask the people who don't know Bob when they contract TB? :sarcastic:
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:14 pm
@Theaetetus,
Why don't you treat Bob? Im sure it can be stopped spreading if you give the right treatment, what are going to do leave him to die, what did Bob exactly do to you, please pray tell?
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:27 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;91468 wrote:
Taxes are robbery? Sounds like someone has forgotten their social contract theory.... which happens to be sort of foundational in most western democracies.

Would you D.T. agree with me that taxes for the purpose of national defense are appropriate and justified by the social constract: i.e. not robbery? I'm sure you will. Would you say that taxes levelled on the people so that the treasury secretary can drive around in a solid gold minivan would be appropriate: i.e. not robbery? No, I sure you would say that they are innapropriate, that amounts to robbery! Certainly. My point is that taxation is not robbery, taxation is neccessary, taxation is indeed fiundemental for the social contract; but ataxation for what purposes?

I find public health care to not be a part of the ideal social contract, and so I consider taxes levelled for the funding thereof to be innapropriate: i.e. tantamount to robbery.
EmperorNero

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:31 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;91463 wrote:
Whose Bob brightmoon? Im talking about helping people, humanity, can you not see the justice? You have to try to see in order to understand, you have to help people if they want to be helped no matter how ill they are, they cannot help it, sometimes illness is inflicted on them by no other then the Devil himself/herself, I mean equal rights.

Didymos Thomas;91435 wrote:
I would think that people should not be so selfish as to call taxes robbery when they go to help a fellow human being...

Same question as always: Why does the fricking state have to do it?
Why advocate to have the state make others pay for what you think is a good idea instead of paying for it through charity yourself.

Obama's campaign cost something like 2 billion Dollars. You could've done a lot of good with that. But instead you spend it to get the government to make the successful to pay for it.
That's not charity, that's the very opposite.

---------- Post added 09-18-2009 at 11:33 PM ----------

Spending taxes on corporate welfare is the worst use I can come up with.
Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:34 pm
@Theaetetus,
Because the state represents the people, problem?
0 Replies

gojo1978

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 05:33 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;91489 wrote:

Obama's campaign cost something like 2 billion Dollars. You could've done a lot of good with that. But instead you spend it to get the government to make the successful to pay for it.
That's not charity, that's the very opposite.

Well, perhaps he can use the money he just saved by scrapping the missile shield to do "a lot of good", whatever twisted form that takes in your mind. :flowers:

Also, as I have pointed out to you before, Nero, the "successful", as you term them (i.e. rich), are by and large successful by oppressing and exploiting the poor, and only by that. If there are no poor people, there are no rich people. It is as simple as that. Anyone with even the loosest grasp of political philosophy understands that. So if they become rich by exploiting those people, they have an obligation to look after their healthcare costs. And not only an obligation, but an interest; for if that was taken to a hypothetical extreme, and all the poor of the world contracted a disease which resulted in their demise, no more free cash for the rich. They would then, shock, horror, have to..... actually work for it themselves. :nonooo: I'm sure you'd see them change their tune then.
richrf

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 06:45 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;91486 wrote:
Would you D.T. agree with me that taxes for the purpose of national defense are appropriate and justified by the social constract: i.e. not robbery? I'm sure you will. Would you say that taxes levelled on the people so that the treasury secretary can drive around in a solid gold minivan would be appropriate: i.e. not robbery? No, I sure you would say that they are innapropriate, that amounts to robbery! Certainly. My point is that taxation is not robbery, taxation is neccessary, taxation is indeed fiundemental for the social contract; but ataxation for what purposes?

I find public health care to not be a part of the ideal social contract, and so I consider taxes levelled for the funding thereof to be innapropriate: i.e. tantamount to robbery.

On this issue, there was an interesting OP-ED in the Wall Street Journal today concerning the penalty fee that the current proposed health bill will attempt to levy on people who do not have insurance. Apparently, this part of the bill may very well be unconstitutional and will almost certainly be challenged up to the Supreme Court. Without the forced mandate there is surely no way to fund the system. It should be interesting to observe if the bill is passed, but my guess is that this bill will not garner the necessary support.

Rich

---------- Post added 09-18-2009 at 07:51 PM ----------

gojo1978;91539 wrote:
So if they become rich by exploiting those people, they have an obligation to look after their healthcare costs.

I am fairly well off and made my money by luck and some very long hours as well as savings. How did I save? Well, over the last 30 years, by opting out of health insurance and learning to take care of myself, I saved tens of thousands of dollars. (You can do the math if you wish).

Now, I feel a little bit irritated that I have to take my savings in order to care for people who do not care for themselves.

But this point is moot. There is no where enough money to do this with or without my assistance. Rich or poor, fat is fat, and there is no way for a body to be healthy with pounds and pounds of fat in the belly. Just take a look at a picture of a body with lots of fat and you will know what I mean.

So, people will have to go on self enforced diets. It is the only practical way that I can see. Similarly with fuel. The fastest way to conserve fuel is to stop using so much.

Rich
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 07:15 pm
@richrf,
BrightNoon;91486 wrote:

Taxes for national defense, not robbery. Taxes for golden minivan, not robbery - just poor government. There is, after all, a difference there. This is why we have elections.

BrightNoon;91486 wrote:

Why is healthcare impossible to incorporate into the social contract, yet aggressive military funding permissible?
richrf

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 07:32 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;91568 wrote:
Why is healthcare impossible to incorporate into the social contract, yet aggressive military funding permissible?

It is the way that they are going about doing it which is problematic both from a practical sense and possibly a lawful sense. Telling people that they have to buy insurance or else pay a penalty may very well be unconstitutional. Now, if they taxed everyone, this is more plausible.

You can tax goods that people use - i.e. a value added tax. But can you penalize people for not using? Now, this is a whole new prerogative of the government that has yet to be tested. To be seen.

Rich
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 07:56 pm
@richrf,
richrf;91578 wrote:
It is the way that they are going about doing it which is problematic both from a practical sense and possibly a lawful sense. Telling people that they have to buy insurance or else pay a penalty may very well be unconstitutional.

Based upon what part of the Constitution and the abiding Supreme Court interpretation thereof?

richrf;91578 wrote:
Now, if they taxed everyone, this is more plausible.

Everyone is never taxed, except for sales tax. Income tax? A large portion of the population does not pay it because they do not make enough money to pay the tax.

richrf;91578 wrote:
You can tax goods that people use - i.e. a value added tax. But can you penalize people for not using? Now, this is a whole new prerogative of the government that has yet to be tested. To be seen.

I'm not sure this is new at all.

The military is not a good or service that I use, yet I am penalized if I refuse to pay taxes for the military.
richrf

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:40 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;91584 wrote:
The military is not a good or service that I use, yet I am penalized if I refuse to pay taxes for the military.

You are missing the point and it is a key constitutional point which will go to the Supreme Court. Congress is very concerned about it and is trying to draw up the bill in a way that will stand up in court. The issue is penalizing a particular individual for not participating in a particular program. This is unprecedented. Should it succeed, then Congress' ability to enforce behavior by imposing penalties would be virtually unlimited. I think it will fail.

Rich
EmperorNero

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 03:48 am
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;91539 wrote:
Also, as I have pointed out to you before, Nero, the "successful", as you term them (i.e. rich), are by and large successful by oppressing and exploiting the poor, and only by that. If there are no poor people, there are no rich people. It is as simple as that. Anyone with even the loosest grasp of political philosophy understands that.

That's a Marxist distortion of reality. It's really funny that anybody believes that, especially since Marx couldn't sufficiently show that this is the case at all.

Arrrr.

It's talk like a pirate day! Post like a pirate!

---------- Post added 09-19-2009 at 11:52 AM ----------

Didymos Thomas;91584 wrote:

That's easy to say afterrr it protected you for your entire life. Matey.
It's like a druggie saying "I can stop any day if I want".
Maybe you justs don't realize what the military has done for you.

It's talk like a pirate day! Post like a pirate!
gojo1978

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 04:06 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;91721 wrote:
That's a Marxist distortion of reality. It's really funny that anybody believes that, especially since Marx couldn't sufficiently show that this is the case at all.

Arrrr.

Do you believe in god?

And it predates Marx, actually, it's from Rousseau. And it's all very valid, if you'd care to read.

---------- Post added 09-19-2009 at 11:07 AM ----------

EmperorNero;91721 wrote:

That's easy to say afterrr it protected you for your entire life. Matey.
It's like a druggie saying "I can stop any day if I want".
Maybe you justs don't realize what the military has done for you.

Like overthrow democratically elected governments overseas?
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 08:54 am
@Theaetetus,
You are nor really arguing for your side or against mine, it's just words.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 11:47 am
@richrf,
richrf;91657 wrote:
The issue is penalizing a particular individual for not participating in a particular program. This is unprecedented.
No, it's quite precendented for requiring drivers to have car insurance, for instance. I've never been in a car accident, and I'm a safe driver, so why should my legal right to drive be contingent upon buying an auto insurance policy?
richrf

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 12:01 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;91890 wrote:
No, it's quite precendented for requiring drivers to have car insurance, for instance. I've never been in a car accident, and I'm a safe driver, so why should my legal right to drive be contingent upon buying an auto insurance policy?

No. I have a choice whether to buy a car or not. If I buy a car, I am required to have insurance as well as a license.

This is totally different. I am not buying into anything or participating in anything. I am getting penalized for not participating. This is totally unprecedented, and the Congress is well aware of the problem they are in.

Rich
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 01:17 pm
@Theaetetus,
Sooner or later you wont have a choice to buy a car anymore if people don't stop fighting over the resources.
Thanks.
0 Replies

TheSingingSword

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 01:25 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;67449 wrote:
I understand your concern as well, because I only go to the doctor for emergencies. The last thing I want to do is help pay for people to continue shoving Big Macs in their face as they end up with serious health concerns.

My concern is for people, such as myself, that do take care of themselves, and then end up with a potentially deadly disease, and get stuck with choices like death or debt. Not to mention, worrying if I can even get the medical care I need. I cannot get health insurance because it is considered a preexisting condition so I am forced to either figure out how to pay for the care I need out of my pocket, which would drain my funding for my tuition, or very likely facing death. Good people that mean well die everyday because they cannot get the proper care that they need, because they either cannot afford health insurance or cannot get coverage from a health care insurer due to preexisting medical conditions.

Well, universal healthcare run by the federal government would be illegal, as it is unconstitutional. You would first have to amend the constitution, never an easy thing. Now I know you're all gonna say congress is trying to put these bills together right now, how can it be unconstitutional, but that doesn't change the fact that it is.
Caroline

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 01:42 pm
@Theaetetus,
Why do you have to ammend the American Constitution, what's wrong with it?
Thanks.