iconoclast

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 04:03 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas,

You would exempt some Christians from the definition of Christianity by wikipedia? Who? Don't generalize. Give me a specific and exhaustive list. If you're so keen on specificity - name the Christians that don't believe God exists, Jesus exists, heaven, hell and so forth, becuase it's you that contradicts a reasonable and objective defintition.

Instead you propose:
Quote:
a Christian is simply someone who primarily refers to the teachings attributed to Jesus Christ for spiritual guidance.

I don't think that definition fits at all - for someone who seeks spitritual guidence from the teachings of Jesus once in thier lifetime, but is for the rest of thier life athiest, is by your standards a Christian. Does it not wash off?

The existence of God, that Jesus was the Son of God, and that Jesus died for our sins are articles of faith central to the Christian religion, and they are truth claims about the nature of reality without a direct evidential basis, believed in contradiction of the usual way belief is formed.

But now:
Quote:
The problem is the word "believe" and what that word means. Some say "I believe in God" and imagine a magical man in the clouds. Others say "I believe in God" and imagine an ineffable reality.

I don't think many people would have these problems. Let's get a definition for the word believe from the Oxford English Dictionary.

Quote:
1. To have confidence or faith in (a person), and consequently to rely upon, trust to.
a. To believe in a person (also in Scripture in, or on, his name). [Cf. late L. credere in aliquem.]
b. To believe in a thing, e.g. the truth of a statement or doctrine; also in mod. usage, in the genuineness, virtue, or efficacy of a principle, institution, or practice.
c. Formerly with of = on, in.
d. absol. To exercise faith.
2. To give credence to (a person, or his statement); to trust (from L. credere alicui). Obs. Replaced by 5, 6.
3. ellipt. To believe in (a person or thing), i.e. in its actual existence or occurrence.
4. To trust, expect, think to do (something). Obs. Cf. BELIEF 5.
5. To give credence to (a person in making statements, etc.). Object orig. dat.: cf. 2. Phrases. I believe you, an expression of emphatic agreement; believe (you) me, phr. strengthening an assertion.
6. a. To give credence to, to accept (a statement) as true [cf. L. credere aliquid]. Also in colloq. phrases strengthening an assertion, as believe it or not, would you believe it? (see WILL v.1 43), you'd better believe (see BETTER a. 4b).
b. To accept (a thing) as authentic. Obs.
7. With clause or equivalent inf. phrase: To hold it as true that..., to be of opinion, think.
8. To hold as true the existence of. Obs. (Now expressed by 3.)

While we're at it, let's have thier definition of Chrisitianity.

Quote:
1. The whole body of Christians, the Christian part of the world, CHRISTENDOM. Obs.
2. The religion of Christ; the Christian faith; the system of doctrines and precepts taught by Christ and his apostles.
b. with pl. A Christian religious system.
3. State or fact of being a Christian; Christian condition or quality; Christian spirit or character.
b. upon my Christianity! = as I am a Christian: a form of asseveration. (Cf. CHRISTENDOM 1b, HALIDOM, etc.) Obs.
4. Eccl. Ecclesiastical jurisdiction, as in Court of Christianity = COURT CHRISTIAN; hence spec. applied to ruridecanal chapters, and ruridecanal jurisdictions; whence Dean of Christianity, orig. = Rural Dean; now retained in the title of particular rural deaneries, or Deaneries of Christianity, comprising the parishes of certain cities or towns, as Exeter, Lincoln, Leicester.

From these authoritative definitions I draw the following to most closely represent what in mean by Christinaity:

Quote:
1. The whole body of Christians, the Christian part of the world, CHRISTENDOM. The religion of Christ; the Christian faith; the system of doctrines and precepts taught by Christ and his apostles.

And by believe I mean:

Quote:
To believe in a thing, e.g. the truth of a statement or doctrine; also in mod. usage, in the genuineness, virtue, or efficacy of a principle, institution, or practice. To believe in (a person or thing), i.e. in its actual existence or occurrence.

So, where I say:

Quote:
What I'm attempting to suggest is that the ontological truth claims made by religion, in this case Chrisitianity, are epistemologically groundless - which is to say, not grounded in a valid epistemology, but are merely assertions about the nature of reality.

I'm saying in these terms that the beliefs of Christianity are groundless - and that religion, in this case Christianity, makes truth claims without an evidential basis - that are not valid of reality, that do not accord with reason, but are required of adherents to this religion.

iconoclast.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 04:43 pm
@iconoclast,
Quote:
You would exempt some Christians from the definition of Christianity by wikipedia? Who? Don't generalize. Give me a specific and exhaustive list. If you're so keen on specificity - name the Christians that don't believe God exists, Jesus exists, heaven, hell and so forth, becuase it's you that contradicts a reasonable and objective defintition.

You do realize that Wikipedia is not authoritative?

Again, you speak of Christians who "that don't believe God exists, Jesus exists, heaven, hell and so forth", but this is one heck of a twist on my words. I haven't talked about any denial of the existence of God or of a denial of the existence of Heaven and Hell. Instead, I talked about the fact that some Christians have a different understanding of what God, Heaven and Hell are and in what way they exist; that some Christians do not think of Heaven, Hell and God as material entities.

As for Jesus, I have readily admitted that his historical existence can certainly be doubted, but I did not leave the matter at that - if you look back, I brought up the point that the historical existence of Jesus might be irrelevant to the Christian.

To ask for an exhaustive list is silly, and you know it. Should I survey all living Christians? Instead, I'll try to give some examples, which will suffice for argument's sake.

Bruno Bauer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He rejected the historical existence of Jesus and was a Christian.

Earl Doherty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This guy argues that many early Christians did not believe in Jesus as having existed on earth, ie, that they did not think him to be a historic figure.
This guy: George Albert Wells - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia makes a very similar case about early Christians.

Robert M. Price - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This guy is a Christian and doubts the historical existence of Jesus. He is an Episcopalian, by the way.

Quote:
I don't think that definition fits at all - for someone who seeks spitritual guidence from the teachings of Jesus once in thier lifetime, but is for the rest of thier life athiest, is by your standards a Christian. Does it not wash off?

Someone can be a Christian one day, and the next renounce their faith tradition. We can change.

Quote:
The existence of God, that Jesus was the Son of God, and that Jesus died for our sins are articles of faith central to the Christian religion, and they are truth claims about the nature of reality without a direct evidential basis, believed in contradiction of the usual way belief is formed.

These are common claims of Christians. But, as I've said, Christianity is not monolithic and the term covers a variety of views.

We also have to be sensitive to what it means for God to exist, for Jesus to be the Son of God, and for Jesus to have died for our sins.
To say "God exists" does not necessarily mean that you imagine God is a magic man in the sky.

Quote:
I'm saying in these terms that the beliefs of Christianity are groundless - and that religion, in this case Christianity, makes truth claims without an evidential basis - that are not valid of reality, that do not accord with reason, but are required of adherents to this religion.

And still you make the mistake of confusing mythos with logos. You're not alone, fundamentalists Christians also make this mistake.
iconoclast

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 05:21 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas,

Quote:
To ask for an exhaustive list is silly, and you know it. Should I survey all living Christians?

It's as silly as you continuing to point out that my statements are generalizations. If you admit you can't provide an exhaustive list then it's foolish to expect the same of me - or to infer that I should be able to. You can't - I can't. So I'll make generalizations - just as you do, and if you are actually constructively engaged in the argument you might respond with 'yes, to some extent, but' - rather than 'no, because...'

I'll give you a heads up - not one of the statements I will make, or have ever made, are true. Everything I say is a generalization, a best fit description of a reality I merely signifiy with a few more or less well chosen words. Nothing you say is true - or anyone else. Words are not the reality they represent.

So, onto the next barricade:

Quote:
And still you make the mistake of confusing mythos with logos.

No I don't. Religion does when it makes truth claims about the nature of reality. I know it's bollox, or mythos if you prefer.

iconoclast.

Quote:
But, as I've said, Christianity is not monolithic and the term covers a variety of views.

p.s. so you refuse to accept my definition that accords with the Oxford English Dictionary definition of Chrisitanity in favour of your own?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 05:56 pm
@iconoclast,
Quote:
It's as silly as you continuing to point out that my statements are generalizations. If you admit you can't provide an exhaustive list then it's foolish to expect the same of me - or to infer that I should be able to. You can't - I can't. So I'll make generalizations - just as you do, and if you are actually constructively engaged in the argument you might respond with 'yes, to some extent, but' - rather than 'no, because...'

It's one thing to generalize, it's another to go so far in those generalizations as to commit the fallacy of composition.

Quote:
No I don't. Religion does when it makes truth claims about the nature of reality. I know it's bollox, or mythos if you prefer.

Actually, you do confuse the two when you attempt to criticize mythos with logos, reason. It would be wrong to criticize Dante's Divine Comedy by saying the account is historically inaccurate. What you are doing is analogous to such a mistake.

Again, some Christians mistake mythos for logos. They demand that statements of mythos overrule logos, reason and science. This is absurd. But not all Christians make this mistake - it is possible to believe the Genesis myth (mythos) and accept the scientific account of the origin of the universe and life (logos). They work on different levels.

Quote:
p.s. so you refuse to accept my definition that accords with the Oxford English Dictionary definition of Chrisitanity in favour of your own?

No, I have no problem with that definition. But you missed something - I did not define Christianity, I gave the necessary conditions for being a Christian. The questions 1) 'What is a Christian?' and 2) 'What is Christianity?' do not have the same answers.

PS: I take it you now recognize the fact that Christians can deny the historical existence of Jesus and deny literal interpretations of scripture?
Zetherin

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 09:15 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
- it is possible to believe the Genesis myth (mythos) and accept the scientific account of the origin of the universe and life (logos). They work on different levels.

This I'm interested in hearing your perspective on. Let me first take the LHC Large Hadron Collider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as an example of our scientific realizations currently in development.

This machine has potential to show us much about the universe, and may be one of the greatest scientific achievements if things work well when they begin circulating beams on the 10th of September. Some of the questions we will be able to answer are within the link I sent, and we essentially will be able to see how matter behaved a tiny fraction of a second after the Big Bang. There is such a wealth of information we can gain from this project, I'm really excited I'm even alive in this period.

The point is:

The farther we delve scientifically, the more mythos we may be able to actually disprove - perhaps even the genesis mythos you speak of. So, then, how can they coexist in one's mind on some issues? What different levels do they work on, as you noted? One can attempt to prove a God exists through logic, so they don't have to be on different levels, right? (Acquinas, for example). In the end, though, it seems to me that one has to choose either one, in some situations. Yes, one can definitively live with a combination of logos and mythos, as you seem to do, but on certain topics it appears you have to choose either or. As I've noted earlier, I don't necessarily think either one is *better*, but I want to see your perspective on how they can coexist in one's mind on all platforms, on all topics. Perhaps I just misunderstood you.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 09:42 pm
@iconoclast,
iconoclast wrote:
Didymos Thomas,

iconoclast.

You bring up a very significant point - it's very hard to judge. There is no definitive line. This is why I feel the argument on who's a Christian is moot. You can sit here all day and analyze a person's life.

Hell, let's try one: Mary was a Christian for 27 years of her life, but became an atheist on her 28th birthday, stayed an atheist for 14 years of her life, after which becoming born again on on her 42nd birthday. She stayed an orthodox Christian for 17 years until her 60th birthday when she became a Buddhist! She stayed Buddhist until her death at 80. Though she was a Buddhist at death, I'm going to say she is a Christian because she was a Christian for 44 years of her life - it breaks the halfway point!

This is the problem with labeling. We can't just lump everything into categories to fit our convenience. At any point in someones mind they can convert, so who's to say someone is what when? Only they can, really. If someone wants to call themselves something, who cares? They may see something in a particular ideology, theory, or doctrine that drives them to label themselves something in order to stabilize their minds (perhaps even for comfort) - it's natural. Humans migrate to order.

Even with this said, yes, there is a standardized definition for each religion, just as there is a standardized definition for almost every category or generalization. The idea is that it's a moot point to argue over what religion someone is, as the mind is infinitely more complex than the labels we have set forth to classify. More importantly, we shouldn't assume that everyone abides by the general definition of any categorization - we make our own truth and that truth could be a combination of many religions, many schools of philosophy, many lines of spirituality, many lines of logic and reason! (In fact, that's what I advocate!) General definitions are to be used to give an idea of a general direction. To assume we know the specific direction is foolish.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 10:56 pm
@Zetherin,
I've been drinking, so proceed with caution.

Zetherin -
Quote:
The farther we delve scientifically, the more mythos we may be able to actually disprove - perhaps even the genesis mythos you speak of. So, then, how can they coexist in one's mind on some issues? What different levels do they work on, as you noted?

We have to ask - what is it to "disprove" mythos? If someone were to suggest that the Genesis myth was literally true, logos/a scientific/logical claim, then I think they missed the point.

The different level is the function. The scientific research into the origin of the universe and life is an attempt to explain what actually took/takes place. The Genesis myth, the mythos, is an attempt to provide direction to our human life.

We have to understand something about human life - our rational mind is the outer rind of the human mind. The logos satisfies that aspect, while the mythos satisfies the visceral.

These different aspects coexist because they serve different functions. They have different roles.

Imagine the child who's biological parents abandoned him. He is then lovingly raised by two parents who are, obviously, not his biological parents. Should he reject these two as his parents because they are not his biological parents? No. Instead, the fact that he has other biological parents coexists with the fact that he has two non-biological parents who love and care for him.
Maybe that isn't the best analogy, but I think you can see where I'm going.

Quote:
One can attempt to prove a God exists through logic, so they don't have to be on different levels, right? (Acquinas, for example).

And however brilliant and profound, I think Aquinas misses the point. God isn't a matter for logos, but for mythos. Abandon the mythos when it no longer works, when it is no longer relevant - we have moved beyond paganism because, at some point, paganism stopped working for humans. Hence the Axial Age, wherein spiritual teachers introduced new ways of accommodating our visceral nature, introduced new mythos (or, more accurately, reformed the existing mythos).

Quote:
In the end, though, it seems to me that one has to choose either one, in some situations. Yes, one can definitively live with a combination of logos and mythos, as you seem to do, but on certain topics it appears you have to choose either or.

I can't imagine a situation in which we have to chose one and deny the other. We just have to be mindful of the context of the topic. If we are talking about the origin of the universe and life, and we want to know the mechanisms, this is logos. If we are talking about the origin of the universe and life and what this means to us, this is mythos.

Perhaps I should give an example of the mythos, I do not think I'm doing a very good job of explaining. Ah, let us look at this: the Nazis adopted certain logos (scientific claims) and employed this logos as mythos which allowed the to justify the brutal murder of untold millions. Meanwhile, modern fundamentalists have adopted certain mythos, like the Genesis story, as logos which allows then to justify the rejection of good science, like evolution.

Like it or not, people need a mythos and a logos because people are neither wholly rational (as Aristotle thought) nor are we wholly visceral. And when we appropriate one as the other, we cause a great deal of suffering.

Zetherin - Labels are difficult. Especially when they overlap, when they are not mutually exclusive. Someone might, and accurately so, describe themselves as Buddhist and Christian, or as an atheist and a Buddhist.
Looking at the history of religion in China, we find all sorts of great examples. Taoism, Buddhism, Confucianism - these all merged together. Why? Because truth doesn't need labels. Every tradition has some degree of truth to express, and the Chinese recognized this. When Christian missionaries arrived in China, they were stunned when the Chinese warmly embraced Christianity and at the same time maintained their Buddhist/Confucian/Taoist teachings. Conversation to these Chinese was silly. Instead of abandoning one source of truth for another, they adopted a new source of truth (Christianity) along side their existing sources of truth (Buddhism, et al.).

------------

Feel free to rip into these careless written answers. Tomorrow when my head is a bit more clear, I'll try to sort out any confusion I've caused.
Zetherin

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 11:20 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Zetherin - Labels are difficult. Especially when they overlap, when they are not mutually exclusive. Someone might, and accurately so, describe themselves as Buddhist and Christian, or as an atheist and a Buddhist.
Looking at the history of religion in China, we find all sorts of great examples. Taoism, Buddhism, Confucianism - these all merged together. Why? Because truth doesn't need labels.

Yes, that is correct. Truth does not need labels, and the idea behind my last post is that it's a moot point to try to label one's truth! You've nailed what I've said above. Again, this is why I think it's silly to try to debate what someone is - there could be a merger, like you, and I, noted (and most probably is!)

As for the logos and mythos understanding, I now see your differentiation, which clears up much. There are a few things I want to expound upon:

You state mythos provides direction while logos simply explains what actually took place -can't logos provide just as much direction for a person?. For some, the logical explanations can bring a person a comfort, a sense of meaning, just as any mythos can. I feel it depends on the person. For instance, my atheist friend appears almost comforted at new scientific breakthroughs. This is not just a general curiosity I see in him, but rather it appears he is actually being calmed the more we uncover scientifically. In other words, even the functions are overlapping. I think the more we intellectually press any matter, the more we will see that there are no definitive lines but the lines we make. That is, the objective nature we attempt to place on ideas, notions, whatever, may be immensely more complex and blurred than we'd like to believe.

On to your next point, keeping what I just noted in mind: you don't believe God is matter for logos. I believe you aren't taking into account every notion of God. Sure, some notions of God may not be any matter for logos, but there are notions, such as intelligent design, in which logos does have place. Perhaps when you say God, you are implying the Christian notion only, and in that case you are oversimplifying.

You've furthered my understanding of the matter and enlightended me, despite the inebriation Very Happy

Thank you.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 12:17 am
@Zetherin,
Quote:
You state mythos provides direction while logos simply explains what actually took place -can't logos provide just as much direction for a person?. For some, the logical explanations can bring a person a comfort, a sense of meaning, just as any mythos can. I feel it depends on the person. For instance, my atheist friend appears almost comforted at new scientific breakthroughs. This is not just a general curiosity I see in him, but rather it appears he is actually being calmed the more we uncover scientifically. In other words, even the functions are overlapping. I think the more we intellectually press any matter, the more we will see that there are no definitive lines but the lines we make. That is, the objective nature we attempt to place on ideas, notions, whatever, may be immensely more complex and blurred than we'd like to believe.

I do think (still drinking, by the way, the disclaimer remains intact) that logos is extremely valuable and can, and should, help people the way it seems to help your atheist friend. Lord knows (heh, get it?) that science helps me.

But I think we have to go back to my point about the different levels of human nature. There is the outer rind, out rational mind, and the deeper, more visceral side to humanity.

I keep bringing up Dante's work. And for good reason (heh, the jokes keep coming, or maybe I'm the only one who finds it funny, whatever). The text is entirely of the author's imagination, yet the text manages to express certain truisms that objective discourse might otherwise miss.

However eloquent, Aristotle was wrong. We are not rational animals. We are animals with a bit of rational capability. Reason alone cannot accommodate all our our basic human needs. Thus, mythos.

Huma n experience is, essentially, ineffable. Words cannot capture the totality of our experience. That's where mythos comes in to play. Language and reason only go so far.

Quote:
On to your next point, keeping what I just noted in mind: you don't believe God is matter for logos. I believe you aren't taking into account every notion of God. Sure, some notions of God may not be any matter for logos, but there are notions, such as intelligent design, in which logos does have place. Perhaps when you say God, you are implying the Christian notion only, and in that case you are oversimplifying.

You make an excellent point. Even some Christian notions of God take God to be a matter of logos. My suggestion is that these notions of God, which chalk God up to logos, are mistaken.
If God is logos, lack of evidence for God would be reason enough to discard the notion of God. But God as a matter of mythos (please pardon my sloppy language) does not suffer in this way. God, as a matter of mythos, can help give context to human life, can allow us to come to terms with the ineffable aspects of our life.

Quote:
You've furthered my understanding of the matter and enlightended me, despite the inebriation Very Happy

Well, that makes me happy. Tomorrow I'll revisit the thread and see where we are. Maybe my sober mind can better explain some of these things.

I'm glad you find some value in my discourse. I certainly enjoy your comments. Thanks!
iconoclast

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 03:28 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas,

You really think religion is worth defending, don't you? Why? It's not like your too stupid to think for yourself - and having thought for yourself it's not as if you've come to the same conclusions as - can we agree, a majority of Christians?

You say:
Quote:
Actually, you do confuse the two when you attempt to criticize mythos with logos, reason. It would be wrong to criticize Dante's Divine Comedy by saying the account is historically inaccurate.

But Dante doesn't purvey his ideas as truth - and religion does, and/or of significance that's above and beyond mere human truth. I don't see the significance in what I view as the politics of an era gone by - and/or ideas discredited by science.

You say:
Quote:
it is possible to believe the Genesis myth (mythos) and accept the scientific account of the origin of the universe and life (logos). They work on different levels.

How? If we're saying that the majority of Christians confuse mythos with logos - or, from my point of view where I value scientific knowledge and see little worth in religion, the two conflict. Similalrly, we both accept one and refute the other - but to reject religion is okay because it's not true, whereas the rejection of science is dangerous.

The distinction you would make puts religion beyond criticism, except in religious terms - so religion can put forth on society, politics, ethics and so forth, but it's a one way street? Any ciriticism meets with - no, because that's logos. It's not on.

Quote:
I take it you now recognize the fact that Christians can deny the historical existence of Jesus and deny literal interpretations of scripture?

I'll entertain the notion if you'll explain to me how that's achieved - but let's be right, you're not speaking for any of the main streams of the Christian religion i.e. catholic, methodist, protestant, anglican, C of E, etc, but a personal, non-doctrinaire spiritualism based upon 'the teachings of Jesus' - (whatever that means if he didn't exist.)

Please explain your personal views - though I'm not sure what relevance they have to the historical and contemporary role of religion in society.

iconoclast.

p.s. You're stateside, am I correct? I'm in GMT land. The time difference is playing havoc with my otherwise busy schedule - so how about three well though out posts per day, (today: me - you - me, tommorow: you - me - you) rather than, from my end a flurry from midnight to 3 am? I think it will free us both up and improve the quality of the debate.
Zetherin

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:27 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
My suggestion is that these notions of God, which chalk God up to logos, are mistaken.
If God is logos, lack of evidence for God would be reason enough to discard the notion of God. But God as a matter of mythos (please pardon my sloppy language) does not suffer in this way. God, as a matter of mythos, can help give context to human life, can allow us to come to terms with the ineffable aspects of our life.

I completely understand your point that only reason can go so far, and from personal experience I'd say you're right. That is not what I'm debating - and in fact, everything else you've typed I did agree with besides what I'm about to say below:

God, as a matter of logos, can still help to give context to human life. No, this context may not be spiritual in nature, but that doesn't matter. Lack of evidence may be enough to discard certain notions of God through the matter of logos, but that doesn't mean God can't be logically proven by some, as we just mentioned with Acquinas. Now, I'm not saying I agree with the logic, and yes, I'm sure there are loopholes that could break a logical proof, but this could happen just as easily with a mythos-based belief of God. Instead of a logical point being disproven, a break in faith for the mythos would have the same effects. Disbelief, whether logically or spiritually, can be overwhelming.
Zetherin

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:31 am
@iconoclast,
iconoclast wrote:

You really think religion is worth defending, don't you? Why? It's not like your too stupid to think for yourself - and having thought for yourself it's not as if you've come to the same conclusions as - can we agree, a majority of Christians?

You seem to be holding a discrimination against any doctrine of beliefs relating to religion, and for some reason believe consideration of such equates to not thinking for yourself. This is the same thing I noticed as we were conversing, too. It appears science is it for you and humoring any sort of religious belief period is the sign of a weak mind. You don't seem to be understanding the differentiation between a religious extremist, and one that considers religion. I perceive you as no different than a religious extremist if you are a scientific extremist - both reject consideration.

Quote:
Similalrly, we both accept one and refute the other - but to reject religion is okay because it's not true, whereas the rejection of science is dangerous.
How is either more dangerous to reject? I can reject the theory of evolution, so what? Likewise, I can reject any notion of a spiritual God, so what? Neither hold any more weight than the other, and rejecting either completely is equally as dangerous.

Quote:
I'll entertain the notion if you'll explain to me how that's achieved - but let's be right, you're not speaking for any of the main streams of the Christian religion i.e. catholic, methodist, protestant, anglican, C of E, etc, but a personal, non-doctrinaire spiritualism based upon 'the teachings of Jesus' - (whatever that means if he didn't exist.)
Please read the post I made regarding the labeling of one's religion. Every classification is personal, and that's what you're not understanding. The 'main streams' you think exist may vary immensely. That is, a person could be catholic, Methodist, protestant, Anglican because they want to categorize themselves as such and could very well have other beliefs relating to another religious doctrine or even logic. Everyone's mind is not as cut and dry, black and white, as you're implying.
iconoclast

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:50 am
@Zetherin,
Zertherin,

Quote:
You seem to be holding a discrimination against any doctrine of beliefs relating to religion,

If you're saying that I discriminate between relgion and rational knowledge - that's right, I do. And it's not merely to distinguish one from the other - I think rational knowledge has value and religion is false, foul, abusive, divisive, greedy, hateful and false. In know I've said false twice, but it's like a mantra.

Quote:
and for some reason believe consideration of such equates to not thinking for yourself.

Yes, religions tend to indoctrinate children with very emotionally powerful ideas before the age at which they're able to think for themselves - and these ideas are such that they create an emotional dependence, and tell the child it's sinful to question. I think, in adulthood, this disables a persons intellect - essentially hijacking them, and turning them into a defender of the faith.

Quote:
It appears science is it for you and humoring any sort of religious belief period is the sign of a weak mind.

Science is valid knowledge. To my mind, scientific knowledge has great spiritual significance - not only in the sense that we human beings have evolved to know it, but a scientific conception of reality bears upon who we are and what our just purposes are - while at the same time presenting us with a huge mystery. All we have to do is apply our reason - be true to our true nature, and the mystery unravels in infinite complexity that is both wonderous to behold, and true.

This is why I think religion is abusive - for it takes that mystery and wonder at the human condition in this amazing universe and turns into something squalid and hateful. So where you say:

Quote:
I perceive you as no different than a religious extremist if you are a scientific extremist - both reject consideration.

You're right that I reject consideration of the squalid and hateful abuse of the spiritual majesty of existence - but I don't reject spirituality, if by spirituality we mean the deep emotional significance of existential questions. I don't think it's weak to have emotions. It's just that I think what's scientifically true is more important that what i'd like to believe about myself. I'm 1 of 7 billion - how's that for humble? I die and the species lives on - which means that I must act responsibly in order that the species have the chance to live on. How's that for ethical?

Quote:
How is either more dangerous to reject? I can reject the theory of evolution, so what?

I think my previous comments answer this question - but let me reiterate that the rejection of the human being as an evolutionary creature has consequences for the calculus of our actions. If the spiritually significant fact of human existence resides with the species, then it behooves us to act to perpetuate the species - whereas if the spiritual significance is with the individual, as religions tend to suggest, i.e. that we are all and each individually judged by God, then it matters not if we become extinct here on earth if we continue to live on in heaven.

Quote:
Likewise, I can reject any notion of a spiritual God, so what?

You can reject a spiritual God, without consequence.

Quote:
Neither hold any more weight than the other

Oh, yes they do. Epistemological weight. Science is not merely assertion, but is knowledge of reality established by experiment and observation - aimed at falsification. By falsifying lesser explanations of observed phenomena, science establishes the validty of its ideas - whereas there is no such method of falsification in religion. It's merely assertion - they've stuck with the first thing they thought of and waged war and killed people to protect it, burnt books, suppressed other systems of knowledge, imprisoned and tortured people, indoctrinate children and then make spurious distinctions between mythos and logos to protect the first theory they can up with. Now that's prideful, dishonest, hateful and false to the very nature of the human being who is a curious animal, evolved to know.

Quote:
Every classification is personal, and that's what you're not understanding.

I do understand that - all too well. Science isn't like that - it seeks to express its knowledge concisely and accurately that everyone has the same understanding of what is meant. I don't agree with this secular - believe whatever you like culture, but for the reasons mentioned above, believe we have a responsibility to acknowledge truth.

You say:
Quote:
Everyone's mind is not as cut and dry, black and white, as you're implying.

I'm not suggesting it is - I'm suggesting that scientific truth has great spirtiual significance that is undermined by religion.

iconoclast.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:00 pm
@iconoclast,
Iconoclast -

Quote:

Because I can think for myself, I have the ability to move past divisive ideology, both religious and secular, and simultaneously criticize and support religion as necessary.

A majority, a minority, who cares? We cannot provide any numbers.

Quote:
But Dante doesn't purvey his ideas as truth - and religion does, and/or of significance that's above and beyond mere human truth. I don't see the significance in what I view as the politics of an era gone by - and/or ideas discredited by science.

What do you mean, "as truth"? Dante presents his account with the most sincere honesty. The thing is, he isn't making logical arguments, and neither is scripture.

Science cannot discredit mythos. What science can do is change the way humans live to such an extent that existing mythos begins to lose value to modern man. We see this sort of process result in the Axial Age.

Quote:
How? If we're saying that the majority of Christians confuse mythos with logos - or, from my point of view where I value scientific knowledge and see little worth in religion, the two conflict. Similalrly, we both accept one and refute the other - but to reject religion is okay because it's not true, whereas the rejection of science is dangerous.

The two conflict when one is misunderstood. When one is mistaken for what it is not. If we pay attention to what we are doing, then we should not confuse mythos for logos, or vice versa, and thus the two remain complimentary, one fulfilling man's rational nature, the other his visceral nature.

I do not refute either mythos or logos. I think they both are extremely valuable and have their place.
To reject religion is okay because it is not true? This argument isn't going to hold up. Once again, you say religion is "not true" because you criticize religion as some sort of set of logical claims, which religion is not.
Rejection of religion can be dangerous, too. Just look at today's world - certain Jews reject Islam and certain Muslims reject Judaism and as a result they blow each other to pieces on the street.
Rejecting science is dangerous, yes. But trying to use science as mythos, as the Nazis often attempted, is equally dangerous.

Quote:

The distinction you would make puts religion beyond criticism, except in religious terms - so religion can put forth on society, politics, ethics and so forth, but it's a one way street? Any ciriticism meets with - no, because that's logos. It's not on.

Actually, I think religion can be criticized, even from a rational perspective. We just have to be careful about how we go about this. Let me give some examples.
We cannot reasonably criticize the Genesis myth by presenting scientific accounts of the formation of the universe and the development of life. To do so is to miss the point of the myth.
However, we can criticize interpretations of that myth that take the myth beyond it's bounds. When someone denies evolution, or claims the world is only 6,000 years old (when someone has misappropriated the myth) we can criticize this with science.
Also, when someone attempts to use scripture to justify violence, as so often happens, we can read the scripture and criticize their interpretation. Like when some Christians justify violence based on scripture, we can, and should, point out the peaceful nature of the teachings of Jesus.

Quote:

I am not generalizing about any of those mainstream sects. However, I do hold that individual members of those sects can deny the historical existence of Jesus and deny literal interpretations of scripture. One of my examples above was an Anglican, an Episcopalian.

Though, regarding taking scripture literally, many mainstream churches and ministers recognize the fact that scripture is not supposed to be read literally. It's the difference between so-called conservative Christianity, which tends to read scripture literally, and so-called liberal Christianity, which tends to read scripture as figurative.

About the teachings of Jesus, we might use the phrase 'teachings attributed to Jesus'.

As to how this feat is achieved. Well, quite simply. Sometimes, people are not indoctrinated into fundamentalist theology from birth and are instead taught the more so-called liberal Christianity. In such a case, they are generally properly instructed from youth.

Others, like myself, have to read and educate ourselves. Read history, spend some time with the scripture, and just simply read. If you notice, I draw many examples from literature - Dante, Swift, Moliere. Education in one area is not limited to that realm. Scientific education informs all other education, religious education informs, literary education informs, historical education informs all other education. So, we read. And we keep reading. And then sometimes we talk with others.

Quote:
Please explain your personal views - though I'm not sure what relevance they have to the historical and contemporary role of religion in society.

Personal views on what? My personal spiritual views? Nah, I'd rather not.

Quote:
p.s. You're stateside, am I correct? I'm in GMT land. The time difference is playing havoc with my otherwise busy schedule - so how about three well though out posts per day, (today: me - you - me, tommorow: you - me - you) rather than, from my end a flurry from midnight to 3 am? I think it will free us both up and improve the quality of the debate.

Yep, I'm in Georgia. Dirty South. I just post when I'm on, when it's convenient. You shouldn't let any of this get in the way of the rest of your life. Post at your leisure.
Here I am surrounded by a mountain of books, drum sticks and a metronome, I have some weights in the corner. I sit here, read for school, read for pleasure, practice, do some light lifting and from time to time respond on these forums.

Zetherin -

Quote:
God, as a matter of logos, can still help to give context to human life. No, this context may not be spiritual in nature, but that doesn't matter. Lack of evidence may be enough to discard certain notions of God through the matter of logos, but that doesn't mean God can't be logically proven by some, as we just mentioned with Acquinas. Now, I'm not saying I agree with the logic, and yes, I'm sure there are loopholes that could break a logical proof, but this could happen just as easily with a mythos-based belief of God. Instead of a logical point being disproven, a break in faith for the mythos would have the same effects. Disbelief, whether logically or spiritually, can be overwhelming.

Disbelief can be tough, especially for someone who has long found comfort in religion. Personally, I do not think religion should be all comfort. Religion should be both comfortable and difficult.

As for the logical God. Yes, this can give context, and while Scholasticism reigned, did perform this task. But you make the point yourself - his logic is full of holes. Any logical proof of God is going to be full of holes.
The attempt to place God on a logical basis, I think, misses the point. It is an attempt to reduce the ineffable to language and logic. This destroys the value of that notion. If we take our mythos and convert it to logos, we still have a need for some sort of mythos.
Also, logical debate and the breakdown of faith in mythology are two very different creatures, though they may be equally distressing.

Iconoclast -
Quote:
If you're saying that I discriminate between relgion and rational knowledge - that's right, I do. And it's not merely to distinguish one from the other - I think rational knowledge has value and religion is false, foul, abusive, divisive, greedy, hateful and false. In know I've said false twice, but it's like a mantra.

It's interesting that you compare your nay-saying of religion to a mantra. A mantra is a spiritual tool. It's part of religion.

Quote:
Yes, religions tend to indoctrinate children with very emotionally powerful ideas before the age at which they're able to think for themselves - and these ideas are such that they create an emotional dependence, and tell the child it's sinful to question. I think, in adulthood, this disables a persons intellect - essentially hijacking them, and turning them into a defender of the faith.

Depends on how the child is taught. Some children are literally brainwashed, and this is not merely sad, but abusive. But you can also find children who have been brainwashed against any sort of spirituality. It's a two way street.

For the most part, religious instruction while young is in no way dangerous. Considering the fact that people are increasingly turned off by organized religion, it is difficult to argue that religious instruction at an early age disables an individual's ability to think for themselves and doubt the religion.

I was brought up in the Episcopal Church from a very young age. Church every Sunday, ect. Yet, at age 10 or 11, I managed to wholly reject that Church, and God. I was still able to become an atheist despite the countless sermons and Sunday school classes.

Quote:
Oh, yes they do. Epistemological weight.

Except that religion does not, should not (because abuses abound), attempt to establish itself as a logical framework. Again, the difference between mythos and logos.
NeitherExtreme

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:42 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
So you use hope and belief to guide you? Do you think that hope (and no, I'm not thinking in a religious context) is a good thing to have in order to calm the mind. How did you overcome your "anchors"? It appears you imply that you are in a better state of mind now, and so I'm curious as to how you've made the progression.

And when you pray, who/what are you praying to? Do you find resolve in prayer, or was that just a phrase you enjoy using when you find a connection with another being and want to bestow a sense of empathy?

I appreciate your input.

Hi again Zetherin! Looks like I missed quite a bit on this thread in the last few days. I haven't read it all, so I'm just responding to the quote. Smile

I don't know if hope and belief guide me, per se, as much as I choose to allow them in my life, and defend them against some of my own cynicism. And my life is bettered by them. About the "anchors", I guess I wasn't very descriptive... For me, the anchors have been good things that have kept me anchored to some core hopes/beliefs, when the storms of doubt and cynisim rule the day. More specifically, the anchors have come in the form of several relationships and people I have know, as well as some books and stories that I have leaned on over the years.

As far as who I pray too... (Good question, by the way.) If I had to put it most simply, I'd say I pray to the God of my dad's parents. Sounds a bit vague, huh? Or maybe too specific? Anyway, I believe He exists, and I pray to Him, and I believe he listens and acts. If your still interested, I don't mind talking about it, or hearing any and all skeptical or doubting questions.

Thanks for appreciating my input. Smile
0 Replies

iconoclast

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 03:27 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas,

Quote:
Except that religion does not, should not (because abuses abound), attempt to establish itself as a logical framework.

Should not perhaps, but historically, and a great many contemporary religions do just that - and we agree that's wrong, but if, as you say:

Quote:
Others, like myself, have to read and educate ourselves. Read history, spend some time with the scripture, and just simply read. If you notice, I draw many examples from literature - Dante, Swift, Moliere. Education in one area is not limited to that realm.

...why religion and not a Swift Fan Club? Indeed, why not, like me, draw your spiritual conclusions from scientific knowledge?

It seems you hold the teachings attributed to Jesus in some regard. What's the basis of that? It's not epistemological - i.e. you think it's true. So you might as well draw your spiritual guidence from 'Far from the Madding Crowd' or 'The Mayor of Casterbridge.' (Thomas Hardy - recommended reading.)
Or better yet, 'Darwin's Dangerous Idea' (Daniel C. Dennett - highly recommended reading.)

You say:
Quote:
Science cannot discredit mythos
-

Well, no, but science has consequences for our conception of self and the world, and what our just purposes in the world are, and these contend on the same basis as religious mythos.

The reason they're not more fully explicated - these mythos sytle consequences of scientific fact - is that religion has set up this false dichotomy, and reserved for itself the right to put forth on questions of mythos. Science on the other hand spits out dry facts to be employed to the ends of ideological actors, or disregarded on the whimsical basis of religious mythos. It's the wrong way around.

You say:
Quote:
But trying to use science as mythos, as the Nazis often attempted, is equally dangerous.

That's simply not true. The ideology of the Nazis was not remotely scientific - but in fact steeped in the teutonic mythos of blood and soil - and distinctions between Aryans and Semitic peoples. The Aryans come from Atlantis - which tells you all you need to know about the scientific merits of the argument. The danger is not inherrent to science, but science in the hands of people who believe in mythos.

You say:
Quote:
To reject religion is okay because it is not true? This argument isn't going to hold up. Once again, you say religion is "not true" because you criticize religion as some sort of set of logical claims, which religion is not.

But you admit: 1) that many religions do confuse mythos and logos - they shouldn't, but they do. and 2) that religion is mythos - which is to say, not true.

What I'm saying is there's no danger in rejecting a myth, because it's a myth - i.e. not true, whereas there is danger in rejecting scientific facts because they are true of who we are and the reality we inhabit. To reject a scientific fact is live at odds with onesself, eachother and reality.

Where you say:
Quote:
Rejection of religion can be dangerous, too. Just look at today's world - certain Jews reject Islam and certain Muslims reject Judaism and as a result they blow each other to pieces on the street.

That's a hillarious attempt to absolve religion of its sins. They don't reject Islam, they believe in Judaism - as if it were true, in fact more than true. And the Muslims you speak of believe Islam as if it were true, in fact beyond mere human truth. They identify themselves and eachother in these terms - and thus see eachother as an affront to the truth of thier own religiously defined identities.

They both ignore the scientific fact they are memebrs of the same species occupying the same planet, but employ science as a tool to prosecute this war in the name of mythology taken more than literally.

You don't think science has anthing to say on the matter, but clearly it does.
So where you say:

Quote:
We cannot reasonably criticize the Genesis myth by presenting scientific accounts of the formation of the universe and the development of life. To do so is to miss the point of the myth. However, we can criticize interpretations of that myth that take the myth beyond it's bounds. When someone denies evolution, or claims the world is only 6,000 years old (when someone has misappropriated the myth) we can criticize this with science.

Arguably, you miss the point. The very existence of the myth robs science of its profound spiritual implications. The simple fact that we are a single species on a single planet rationalizes cooperation rather than segregation and hatred. That we are evolutionary beings places the spiritual emphasis on the species as opposed to the individual - and thus we should cooperate to perpetuate the species.

Quote:
when someone attempts to use scripture to justify violence, as so often happens, we can read the scripture and criticize their interpretation. Like when some Christians justify violence based on scripture, we can, and should, point out the peaceful nature of the teachings of Jesus.

You say that, but the Bible is packed with violence, and instructs people to spare the rod and spoil the child, and beat your wife with a stick - but no thicker than your thumb. Besides, because it's a myth, what basis is there for establishing any one interpretation over another? There are moderate Muslims and Muslims that think the Koran instructs them to kill. We have to turn to religious authorities to get the authoritative interpretation - and by doing so invest such a person with power of life and death on the basis of a myth!!!?

and you keep saying this:

Quote:
regarding taking scripture literally, many mainstream churches and ministers recognize the fact that scripture is not supposed to be read literally.

But I don't think literalism is the issue here. I still don't accept that even liberal Christianity makes no truth claims, even while it may not read genesis literally, like I was saying before, it still credits the idea with value that stands in contradiction of the value of scientific fact, and attributes the inspiration to God to elevate themselves above the status of a literary fan club.

I'm going to leave it there, even though I take issue with you on the question of the religious indoctrination of children. I'm sure the issue will be raised in due course. But for now - for tonight, I'm done.

regards,

iconoclast.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:17 pm
@iconoclast,
Quote:
Should not perhaps, but historically, and a great many contemporary religions do just that - and we agree that's wrong

Right, but historically, and a great many contemporary religions, do not make such mistakes.

Quote:
...why religion and not a Swift Fan Club? Indeed, why not, like me, draw your spiritual conclusions from scientific knowledge?

Because science cannot yield spiritual knowledge. If you deduce spiritual knowledge from science, you are taking science well beyond it's means. Science is a tool. You do not use a hammer to comb your hair, similarly, you should not use science to provide mythos. We can, and I think should, use science to study religion.

Quote:
It seems you hold the teachings attributed to Jesus in some regard. What's the basis of that? It's not epistemological - i.e. you think it's true. So you might as well draw your spiritual guidence from 'Far from the Madding Crowd' or 'The Mayor of Casterbridge.' (Thomas Hardy - recommended reading.)
Or better yet, 'Darwin's Dangerous Idea' (Daniel C. Dennett - highly recommended reading.)

Mayor of Casterbridge is a great book. I've not read this particular Dennett, but Freedom Evolves is pretty good.

Yes, I am very fond of the teachings of Jesus. What's the basis? The same basis that causes me to esteem Confucius, or Russell, or Aristotle.

You can learn from any source. All you learn informs what you already know. Again, religion's epistemology is experience. Reading the teachings of Jesus is extremely informative. Even for the atheist.

Quote:
Well, no, but science has consequences for our conception of self and the world, and what our just purposes in the world are, and these contend on the same basis as religious mythos.

Actually, science does not work on the same level as mythos. I'd recommend talking to Aedes for a full explanation as to the limitations of science in this regard.

Quote:
That's simply not true. The ideology of the Nazis was not remotely scientific - but in fact steeped in the teutonic mythos of blood and soil - and distinctions between Aryans and Semitic peoples. The Aryans come from Atlantis - which tells you all you need to know about the scientific merits of the argument. The danger is not inherrent to science, but science in the hands of people who believe in mythos.

I did not claim that the Nazi mythos was solely drawn from science. However, as a matter of historical fact, parts of the Nazi mythos were (mis)appropriated from science. For example, they abused evolution as a way to reinforce their belief in the inferiority of certain races. I've listened to the speeches.

Quote:
But you admit: 1) that many religions do confuse mythos and logos - they shouldn't, but they do. and 2) that religion is mythos - which is to say, not true.

What I'm saying is there's no danger in rejecting a myth, because it's a myth - i.e. not true, whereas there is danger in rejecting scientific facts because they are true of who we are and the reality we inhabit. To reject a scientific fact is live at odds with onesself, eachother and reality.

No, mythos is not equivilant to not true. Is Dante's Divine Comedy not true? As a matter of historical fact, of course the Comedy is not true. However, the Comedy does express a great deal of truth about human life.

Right, there is no danger in rejecting a myth. The Homeric myth, the Mesopotamian myths, these have all been essentially rejected. However, even these myths have not been totally rejected. They still manage to convery truth about human life. I imagine you've read some Homer - his his work devoid of any and all truth about human life? I don't think so.

To reject science is a terrible shame, and dangerous.

Quote:
That's a hillarious attempt to absolve religion of its sins. They don't reject Islam, they believe in Judaism - as if it were true, in fact more than true. And the Muslims you speak of believe Islam as if it were true, in fact beyond mere human truth. They identify themselves and eachother in these terms - and thus see eachother as an affront to the truth of thier own religiously defined identities.

Actually, yes, many fundamentalist Jews do reject Islam. And many fundamentalists Muslims reject Judaism. Following Judaism does not necessarily mean rejecting rejecting Islam or any other tradition. To be a member of religion X is not to reject all other religions, though, often times religious people do make that leap.

Quote:
Arguably, you miss the point. The very existence of the myth robs science of its profound spiritual implications. The simple fact that we are a single species on a single planet rationalizes cooperation rather than segregation and hatred. That we are evolutionary beings places the spiritual emphasis on the species as opposed to the individual - and thus we should cooperate to perpetuate the species.

If you take the time to read scripture, The Bible, the Koran, you will find that all of these principles you deduce from science are explicitly promoted by the scripture.

Science and religion can inform one another in this way, if we take the time to explore them. Both religion and science have their place. Religion cultivates our visceral nature, science/reason cultivates our rational nature. What you have to understand, and science supports this, is that the rational apsect of humanity is relatively small compared to our visceral nature.

Quote:
You say that, but the Bible is packed with violence, and instructs people to spare the rod and spoil the child, and beat your wife with a stick - but no thicker than your thumb. Besides, because it's a myth, what basis is there for establishing any one interpretation over another? There are moderate Muslims and Muslims that think the Koran instructs them to kill. We have to turn to religious authorities to get the authoritative interpretation - and by doing so invest such a person with power of life and death on the basis of a myth!!!?

If you want to have a conversation about how to interpret particular scriptural accounts, a new thread is best. The Bible is full of violence, and the Bible promotes peace and compassion. Simiarly the Koran promotes peace and compassion.
We do not have to have an authoritative interpretation. That some people try to establish a one reading of these texts is a terrible shame.

Quote:
But I don't think literalism is the issue here. I still don't accept that even liberal Christianity makes no truth claims, even while it may not read genesis literally, like I was saying before, it still credits the idea with value that stands in contradiction of the value of scientific fact, and attributes the inspiration to God to elevate themselves above the status of a literary fan club.

But a figurative reading does not contradict science. Only a literal reading. Tolstoy does not contradict history because he invents from history in his work.

The difference between a literary fan club and an organized religion is that the religion has ceremony.
iconoclast

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 12:55 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas,

I'm not having that:

Quote:
Actually, science does not work on the same level as mythos. I'd recommend talking to Aedes for a full explanation as to the limitations of science in this regard.

It's a version of the argument from authority that is the epistemological basis of religion - to make assertions, and present no evidence but a well respected name. Having pointed out that this put's the power of life and death in the hands of those who interpret myths for a living - I'd rather we conducted this debate in the here and now.

So, the argument to which you refer is the ought-from-is argument. And as I'm sure you're aware, Aedes is a medical doctor. The argument states that one cannot derive ought-from-is, and despite my objections, Aedes has shown this to be the case.

But the case is far from hopeless, for we do so all the time. Indeed, Aedes does so for a living. As a doctor he makes life and death decisions informed by a scientific understanding - though ultimately in pursuit of ethical goals i.e. do no harm, prolong life. As Aedes says:
Quote:
while the "is" findings may bear on personal decisions and clinical recommendations, that is NOT a grounding for a moral rule. (Abortion: #323)

What I say is:
Quote:
The very existence of the myth robs science of its profound spiritual implications. The simple fact that we are a single species on a single planet rationalizes cooperation rather than segregation and hatred. That we are evolutionary beings places the spiritual emphasis on the species as opposed to the individual - and thus we should cooperate to perpetuate the species.

This doesn't claim to be a scientific argument, but is a moral argument informed by science - that is, spiritual conclusions drawn from a scientific conception of reality - rather than 'the teachings attributed to Jesus.' If you think of scientific fact, in this sense, as a parable - a body of information not explicitly stating, but suggesting and informing the moral...clearly, your contention that: 'science does not work on the same level as mythos' is simply incorrect.

I can have anything inform my moral and spiritual calculus - as you do, from the Divine Comedy, Confucius, or Russell, or Aristotle through to the teachings attributed to Jesus, but I choose science because it's valid of reality. The fallacy only comes into play if I were to suggest that the moral were determined by the facts, and I'm not suggesting that at all. (I've learnt better from arguments on this forum.)

And this is why the relative epistemological weight of science and religion is important; but you say:

Quote:
Except that religion does not, should not (because abuses abound), attempt to establish itself as a logical framework. Again, the difference between mythos and logos.

I say:
Quote:
historically, and a great many contemporary religions do just that - and we agree that's wrong

And your counter argument is:

Quote:
Right, but historically, and a great many contemporary religions, do not make such mistakes.

Well, we could debate that question from the Council at Nicea through Siger of Brabant and the Papal Court of the Inquisition, through Galileo and Darwin and onto Intelligent Design. But the question for me here is, what are you prepared to defend?

You won't acknowledge that Christians necessarily have beliefs, or that religions require faith of adherents, you don't accept that religion makes truth claims - and therefore cannot assert that the Bible has any greater authority than The Mayor of Casterbridge, for example. You don't claim God exists, or Jesus exists, or that heven and hell exist, or miracles, or creation.

If that's the case, I declare your God and religion fiction by your own admission. The only question remaining is whether one thinks it better to have one's moral calculus informed by fact or fiction. I know where I stand, and where Aedes stands, what about you?

iconoclast.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 11:56 am
@iconoclast,
Quote:
It's a version of the argument from authority that is the epistemological basis of religion - to make assertions, and present no evidence but a well respected name. Having pointed out that this put's the power of life and death in the hands of those who interpret myths for a living - I'd rather we conducted this debate in the here and now.

You can assert that religion relies on appeals to authority, but, setting aside abuses of religion and religious teachings, you would be incorrect. Those well respected names do not begin as well respected names. They gain respect over time. Again, religion is based on experience. The teachings are given due to the experience of the instructor, and the teachings are embraced due to the experience of the pupil.

Quote:
So, the argument to which you refer is the ought-from-is argument. And as I'm sure you're aware, Aedes is a medical doctor. The argument states that one cannot derive ought-from-is, and despite my objections, Aedes has shown this to be the case.

To my knowledge, I have not once referred to an ought-from-is argument. You'll have to point this out to me.

Quote:
This doesn't claim to be a scientific argument, but is a moral argument informed by science - that is, spiritual conclusions drawn from a scientific conception of reality - rather than 'the teachings attributed to Jesus.' If you think of scientific fact, in this sense, as a parable - a body of information not explicitly stating, but suggesting and informing the moral...clearly, your contention that: 'science does not work on the same level as mythos' is simply incorrect.

What you miss is the fact that drawing moral arguments from scientific knowledge does not make those moral arguments science. The morals derived from scientific knowledge are not magically science. Yes, science can, and should, inform our morality, but we cannot pretend that those morals are science. We also have to remember that people can derive very different moral ideas from science; Social Darwinism is a great example of people looking at science and then drawing moral conclusions.
Science does not work on the same level as mythos because science is logos. It's as simple as that.

Quote:
I can have anything inform my moral and spiritual calculus - as you do, from the Divine Comedy, Confucius, or Russell, or Aristotle through to the teachings attributed to Jesus, but I choose science because it's valid of reality. The fallacy only comes into play if I were to suggest that the moral were determined by the facts, and I'm not suggesting that at all. (I've learnt better from arguments on this forum.)

Science is no more "valid of reality" than Aristotle or Jesus or anyone else. You have to remember that science is a dynamic field of study - it changes. What is one day accepted is another day refuted.
I'm not saying cast out science - I think we both agree that we should look at the most up to date science available. But at the same time, we cannot pretend that science is necessarily more true than mythological sources of truth. Both logos and mythos change over time, and both are valid sources of truth.

Quote:
Well, we could debate that question from the Council at Nicea through Siger of Brabant and the Papal Court of the Inquisition, through Galileo and Darwin and onto Intelligent Design. But the question for me here is, what are you prepared to defend?

Actually, there isn't much to debate. I've already consented that, as a matter of history and when looking at contemporary religion, many have attempted to erroneously superimpose a logos framework onto mythos. No debate there. And I've already given examples to show that such mistakes are not universal to religion both historically and in contemporary religion.

Quote:

You won't acknowledge that Christians necessarily have beliefs, or that religions require faith of adherents, you don't accept that religion makes truth claims - and therefore cannot assert that the Bible has any greater authority than The Mayor of Casterbridge, for example. You don't claim God exists, or Jesus exists, or that heven and hell exist, or miracles, or creation.

Really, Iconoclast, you've tried to assert I've said these things before and I've shown how such assertions are nothing more than you twisting my words. If you want to have a conversation about these things, we can, but not if you refuse to actually take into account what I say.

Christians do have beliefs - but Christian beliefs are not monolithic, they vary.

Some religious sects require a variety of things, but some require nothing at all, and then we must also consider the many religious people who do not belong to any religious sect.

Religion makes many claims, but, again, these claims are not universal.

There are countless views of the Bible, and of the Bible's authority. Some go so far as to say that the Bible is absolutely and literally true, others say the Bible is only more authoritative than The Mayor of Casterbridge in so far as the Bible is, based on experience and the comprehensiveness of the text, the superior source for guidance.

I cannot help but shake my head looking at your assertions about what I've said and the existence of God and Jesus. Some do claim that God and Jesus exist, as a matter of logos. Others do not, some look at the existence of God and Jesus as a matter of mythos, ie, not literally existing.

Quote:
If that's the case, I declare your God and religion fiction by your own admission. The only question remaining is whether one thinks it better to have one's moral calculus informed by fact or fiction. I know where I stand, and where Aedes stands, what about you?

Well, you can declare anything you want - but your misunderstanding and blatant disregard for my numerous clarifications regarding your misunderstanding will not bother me in the least.

I tell you what, if you want to learn and exchange ideas, let's continue. If you just want to argue until your face is blue, find someone else to waste time with.

To answer that last question - both. You act as though fiction and fact are opposing sources. They are not. Are Aesop's fables of no worth? Hardly. Is Homer of no worth? Hardly. Is Dante of no worth? Hardly. Similarly, the Bible, the Tao Te Ching, The Diamond Sutra, The Koran, these all, and many others, have immense worth. But religion is placed upon these texts as a label, and this causes emotional issues with some people. That's a shame. Set the emotions aside for a moment.
0 Replies

Diana Grace

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 01:14 pm
@Zetherin,
It seems to me that you are trapped in 'thought' and it is a brutal taskmaster to you. It will never let you be free because there is always somethng else to look into, more riddles to solve, more mysteries to look into and you are right, it is enough to drive a person into insanity.

So I would suggest that you come to the place where you can become the CAUSE rather than the effect. You are effect looking at other effects and what you, but not just you, I am talking about myself and all others as well, what we all need to do is to become the CAUSE.

The CAUSE would look at all that you inquire into and bless it and call it good. God is CAUSE and calls all things good BECAUSE the calling of it, is the POWER within you and in all of us to create our reality. If you can own the fact that everything in your reality is exactly like you have called it, then you will be fast on the track of getting out of this delimena of having to analysize everything. For then you see yourself as the CAUSE which in fact you are. You, we, all of us ARE GODs. We don't always behave like the Primal CAUSE, because we have gotten ourselves entangled in the complex world of effects. The only thing that will ever effect another effect, is not just yet another effect, but to become the CAUSE. As CAUSE, just bless everything and everyone and then 'let it go'. Ponder it no more but rather think of what you as CAUSE want to create.

Well then think as Creator thinks. Now you have something worth analyzing. What does Prime Creator Think. There must be something innate within us that we can go to to KNOW how Creator thinks.

I know only this about how Creator thinks. Creator does not worry. Creator knows only bliss. Creator does not judge that which he creates as either good or bad in the sense that we call things good or bad. Creator most likely calls the act of creation only GOOD. or GOD. God is in everyone and everything that you contemplate. If you will see Creator in all it will have to mean that you are reflecting back from what you look at, a part of your own self. If you see imperfection in others, it resided in you.

Root it out. Try with all your might to see goodness in everyone, in everything. Sometimes what seems so bad, so evil, is just there to point us to what IS good and so it functions as a contrast whereby we can see more clearly what is good for our own selves, and when we do, "THANK the DARKESS" for that gift of seeing it, for it is your own self that you are thanking.

Then as you give thanks, well, what you give returns to you the giver. The more you give thanks, or whatever it is that you wish to give, the greater the flow of what will come back to you.

Then you will need not to bang your head against the world. WHY because you judge righteously. You do what the three monkeys showed us to do. Remember the one had his hands over his mouth, another his hands over his ears, and yet another his hands over his eyes. SEE NO EVIL, SPEAK NO EVIL, HEAR NO EVIL.

Does that mean we are to just put our head in the sand and pretend that it is not there? Nope, look at it squarly and know that you of your own POWER can call it not by it's appearance, but by the truth that Creator God knows about all that is. It is good.

I have one example to illustrate. A grandmother who attended a small church had a very spirited young grandson who was part of that church. He was into everything, and always making trouble, just a worry to so many of the members of that church. When anyone tried to tell the grandmother about how her grandson was a troublemaker, she seemed to have blind eyes and would not get into agreement with them but calmly and deliberately said to them that her grandson was perfect in every way.

Well, she lived to see her grandson grow up and become mature and be regarded by others in the church, as a fine young man, a delight to be around. Did those who called it like they saw it cause this to be. IT was purely the calling this forth by that Grandmother who would not judge after appearances.

Call things like you wish to see them. You have a inner knowing of what is good. Trust it. Then call things better than they appear to be knowing that we are the story tellers. We make our reality what it is and even bring the characters into our reality that will best help to awaken in us how that we can be the CAUSE. Maybe the worse things appear in your reality, the more mightly your inner self is crying out for you to take the reigns, and start calling thing GOOD, and blessing everyone and everything.

Do know that I am also talking to myself here. I am not perfect at this but I do pursue it each day (to be more proficient at doing exactly what I am telling you about). We always teach the things we are trying to learn ourselves. So I give this bit of information your way knowing that it comes from my heart to yours. And if you were to answer me and say to me, "Yes, I would like you to hold me in your imagination as being closer to becoming the CAUSE of my reality, then I will hold you in my imagination as doing just that. I would ask that you do that for me. We all need to identify ourselves more with CAUSE than to be bashing our head trying to fix one effect with yet another effect.

Love and Light to you
Diana Grace
0 Replies