Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:20 pm
@iconoclast,
Quote:
And as surely as man made ivory horses it seemed suddenly obvious someone made him and the world he found himself in - an artificer of the world, an all powerful Creator-God.

One immediately apparent concern your analysis misses is the notion of intent. The question of "why?" The first god-notions were the great Sky God and a Great Mother idea. These were not simply Creator-Gods, but essentially part of the world. Man saw himself as the offspring of and an integral part of reality.

This basic idea has been expressed in many different ways, and given rise to many insights, but this idea has also not changed very much.

One thing to keep in mind is that 2-million years ago modern humans did not exist. Modern humans are closer to 200,000 years old. To sight pre-modern man of 2 million years ago is irrelevant. That's not even part of our species' spiritual history. Pre-modern man had a brain of lesser development than modern man.
iconoclast

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:18 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
DT,

The idea of a creator god follows from primitve man's application of the artefact-artificer relationship. The artefact is something that has been made - as distinct from a natural object like a tree or a rock, and the artificer is the someone who made it - not necessarily present, but inferred by the existence of the artefact.

Once man realized this relationship he applied it to explain his existence in the world - and inferred the existence of an artificer, creator of himself and the natural world, i.e. God.

The question of intent is moot - for a number of reasons I will happily discuss at some other time. Suffice to say it's a natural conceptual development given the nature of the evolutionary organism.

You are correct to say that modern humans did not exist 2 million years ago. It was homo habilis I was referring to - an ancestor of homo sapiens. Homo habilis was using tools 2 million years ago - and the point is raised to illustrate the length of time nothing much happened in human development. Right upto realization of the artefact-artificer relationship, 35,000 years ago, (in Europe anyway) man lived in much the same way, huntng, gathering, making primitive tools then discarding them, as did homo habilis.

The longer version is more clear on these minor points - but even then, I will be covering great trenches of history, cutting through many philosophical controversies and for the sake of brevity and clarity not mentioning the many many questions I've had to consider in order to arrive at the understanding I'm attempting to communicate.

Thus, the opportunities for you to point these out in a condescending tone - as if to suggest there's some failure on my part will be manifold. Please don't. Let me make the argument first. Please make the effort to understand it - rather than the effort to obstruct and destroy it - as you did last time I attempted to put my ideas forward.

As a moderator I would have thought you were somewhat obliged to create, and help maintain an atmosphere conducive to philosophy. Well, I need a little latitude here - it's a longish argument, and a big idea well worthy of consideration, but I can't make my argument with your constant objections and distractions on minor side issues.

iconoclast.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:28 pm
@iconoclast,
If you think the question of "Why was X made?" is irrelevant, I'm not sure what to tell you. The earliest gods, the Sky God and Great Mother, are directed to this issue as well as the issue of origin. These are not distant creator gods, but go much further than giving man a mythological answer to "how?", they also give meaning by answering the question of "why?"
iconoclast

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:41 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
DT,

Quote:
If you think the question of "Why was X made?" is irrelevant, I'm not sure what to tell you.

It's an evolutionary development, it doesn't have a reason. But this is one of those sideissues I'm not willing to get into right now, and especially with you. Your intent is not kind.

iconoclast.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 09:16 pm
@iconoclast,
iconoclast wrote:
DT,

It's an evolutionary development, it doesn't have a reason. But this is one of those sideissues I'm not willing to get into right now, and especially with you. Your intent is not kind.

iconoclast.

Since when do you value kind intent? Smile

The artifact-artificer relationship is well understood.

I await your next dive into deep waters -

Z
iconoclast

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 09:28 pm
@Zetherin,
Quote:
Since when do you value kind intent?

The artifact-artificer relationship is well understood.

I await your next dive into deep waters -

Z

If you don't understand the difference between false comfort and kind intent, and if you think the argument so far is worthy of such a dissmissive response I think I'll just move my argument somehwere else - and what will your thread be about then?

You'd best get really lost and upset again.

bye.

iconoclast.
Grimlock

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:12 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
1. (I have this mindset where I feel it's 'wrong' or presumptuous to bind to a set of morals)...

2. Instead of acknowledging that I am a being that will change, I feel as though I must build an immediate house now to use for the entirety of my lifetime!

Here is the contradiction that is pulling you apart. A Yea or Nay as the the existence of absolute "truth" will at least give you a direction home. If objective (or even subjective?) truth exists (option 2), then look for it and learn to apply it rigorously to your life. If truth does not exist (option 1), then learn to stop looking for (or inventing) roadsigns that aren't there.

I'd go for option 1, but it's your show.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:31 am
@Grimlock,
Quote:

Should I leave you alone again?

Anyway, I didn't ask for a reason. The fact of the matter is that, looking at the first notions of God of which we are aware, we have to conclude that the artifact-artificer relationship is not the sole basis for these early Gods.

I noticed you removed the first post. Shame. I'll work with your later interpretation:

You say:
Quote:
Once man realized [the artefact-artificer relationship] he applied it to explain his existence in the world - and inferred the existence of an artificer, creator of himself and the natural world, i.e. God.

And the problem is that this is an oversimplification. You are saying that you are building to a larger point. And that's fine, but if your premises are faulty, the conclusion will naturally be mistaken.

We have to recognize that the artifact-artificer relationship is most certainly not the sole origin of God. That equally significant factors are in play.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 03:25 pm
@iconoclast,
iconoclast wrote:
If you don't understand the difference between false comfort and kind intent, and if you think the argument so far is worthy of such a dissmissive response I think I'll just move my argument somehwere else - and what will your thread be about then?

You'd best get really lost and upset again.

bye.

iconoclast.

Whoa, you completely took what I said the wrong way.

Please reread what I typed. The first line was an obvious joke, the second was a regurgitation of the information you just introduced, and the third line was me expressing my interest in your argument and asking you to proceed - not being dismissive at all.

If you're really this sensitive to others in your life, I can infer you are upset quite often. Regardless, if you really want to spread this knowledge, might I suggest you aren't this rude and brash to all you speak with.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 04:11 pm
@Grimlock,
Grimlock wrote:
Here is the contradiction that is pulling you apart. A Yea or Nay as the the existence of absolute "truth" will at least give you a direction home. If objective (or even subjective?) truth exists (option 2), then look for it and learn to apply it rigorously to your life. If truth does not exist (option 1), then learn to stop looking for (or inventing) roadsigns that aren't there.

I'd go for option 1, but it's your show.

If I go with option 1, how can I even live... period?

I mean, the whole point of this journey, I would have thought, was to come to some truth. If I live with the realization there is no truth, then I should go outside, murder an old lady, watch the movie 300 eight times, burn down a rain forest, plant a rain forest, strip naked whilst running down my street screaming, "I HAVE AIDS", donate to a charity, apply for a prominent accounting position, and rape a horse all in one day. Never should I address morals, values, or the mundane activities associated with much of society. I will inevitably be a recluse, and wind up in Ancora psychiatric facility. If no reasons matter, and I go with number 1, I have no reason to live. And if I have no reason to live, I sure as hell won't waste the rest of my existence pondering anything even psuedo-intellectual...

I may as well just go out, fcuk, drink, and smoke as much weed as my body will allow until my consciousness drifts away and I die (and no, this isn't an over exaggeration - in fact, many of my peers actually live in this manner).

Believing a truth exists, objective or subjective, allows me to function. It gives me purpose. If there is no greater fulfillment or reason for having lived the examined life, why lead it? The only thing my peers worry of are mundane issues regarding work life, drama issues regarding the opposite sex, and primarily focus on achieving a state of happiness at any given time. They scream, "Let's go out and get laid", while I scream, "Let's ponder the existence of sparticles". Maybe they have the "right", the most sane, philosophy - lessen pain. seek happiness. die.
Grimlock

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 04:23 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
If I go with option 1, how can I even live... period?

I mean, the whole point of this journey, I would have thought, was to come to some truth. If I live with the realization there is no truth, then I should go outside, murder an old lady, watch the movie 300 eight times, strip naked, donate to a charity, apply for a prominent accounting position, all in one day. Never should I address morals, values, or the mundane activities associated with much of society. If no reasons matter, and I go with number 1, I have no reason to live. And if I have no reason to live, I sure as hell won't waste the rest of my existence pondering anything even psuedo-intellectual. Why?

Where is my emoticon for this feeling?

The lack of "truth" as something concrete that we can grasp and look up to for answers in the here and now does not preclude making decisions and living! Do you consult your morals for most decisions or simply your desires? Do you think prehistoric man needed "truth" to live?

Now I'm no dinosaur, but I don't believe you need to grip the air in your fist to have a plan, a direction in life. A person is perfectly capable of having values (not as absolutes, but as guidelines...another word for this might be tastes) - even ones that might be considered "kind" or "moral" depending on how those words are defined - without believing in anything resembling a common conception of objective truth.

Belief in non-objectivity (subjectivity is too charged a word for what I mean) can be very liberating if taken from the correct non-objective point of view. The wrong point of view armed with this belief system might create a monster. Oops...yeah. Well, it's not for everyone.
Grimlock

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 04:49 pm
@Grimlock,
Addendum:

You need justify your beliefs to none but yourself.

Screwy syntax always looks like wisdom.
Grimlock

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 05:01 pm
@Zetherin,
I'll respond to your edits, too.

Zetherin wrote:
I may as well just go out, fcuk, drink, and smoke as much weed as my body will allow until my consciousness drifts away and I die (and no, this isn't an over exaggeration - in fact, many of my peers actually live in this manner).

Or you could live a good life. It's your fcuking decision, though.

Quote:
Believing a truth exists, objective or subjective, allows me to function. It gives me purpose. If there is no greater fulfillment or reason for having lived the examined life, why lead it? The only thing my peers worry of are mundane issues regarding work life, drama issues regarding the opposite sex, and primarily focus on achieving a state of happiness at any given time. They scream, "Let's go out and get laid", while I scream, "Let's ponder the existence of sparticles". Maybe they have the "right", the most sane, philosophy - lessen pain. seek happiness. die.

I'd say your friends do have the better philosophy. Looking for truth is not easy, but it doesn't have to be a root canal, either. And you know...you can still look for truth even if you know it doesn't exist in a form that is perfectly intelligible. Living an interesting life is the best way to seek truth, anyway, not curling up with Immanuel Kant, or any other dead virgins. What is it with ascetics and their hatred of women, anyway?
iconoclast

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 05:17 pm
@Grimlock,
Zetherin,

I've re-read what you wrote and it still sounds like you're mocking my effort - short, sarcastic, dimissive. You didn't find anything in that post worthy of more than three short lines??? So feeling unwelcome I left. When I posted the article in another thread three people replied and they had a great deal to say about it.

iconoclast.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 05:35 pm
@iconoclast,
Quote:
I've re-read what you wrote and it still sounds like you're mocking my effort - short, sarcastic, dimissive. You didn't find anything in that post worthy of more than three short lines??? So feeling unwelcome I left.

Considering some of the language you have used in this thread, I really cant be surprised if someone is short and dismissive. Your own short, sarcastic, dismissive and sometimes derogatory comments about individuals with whom you discourse will naturally lead them to treat you with the same lack of respect.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:06 pm
@iconoclast,
iconoclast wrote:
Zetherin,

I've re-read what you wrote and it still sounds like you're mocking my effort - short, sarcastic, dimissive. You didn't find anything in that post worthy of more than three short lines??? So feeling unwelcome I left. When I posted the article in another thread three people replied and they had a great deal to say about it.

iconoclast.

So because of your faulty perception of my three lines of text, you will not continue your argument?

Very well. Take care, my friend.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:13 pm
@Grimlock,
Grimlock wrote:
I'll respond to your edits, too.

Or you could live a good life. It's your fcuking decision, though.

I'd say your friends do have the better philosophy. Looking for truth is not easy, but it doesn't have to be a root canal, either. And you know...you can still look for truth even if you know it doesn't exist in a form that is perfectly intelligible. Living an interesting life is the best way to seek truth, anyway, not curling up with Immanuel Kant, or any other dead virgins. What is it with ascetics and their hatred of women, anyway?

Well, a defined latissimus dorsi is hard to come by for a woman - perhaps this is where the distaste for women arouses. I mean, everyone hates a female bodybuilding competition, especially if it's perceived as a deterrence to the mind-body transformation. Let's not even get on feminists; Oh God do I hate them.

As for a philosophy of life, yes, maybe my friends do hold the better philosophy. The good life. I remember watching a video on TED that went into detail the three lives one could lead... one was the "good" life, one the "pleasurable" life, and I can't remember the third. Ah, who cares. Anyway, I appreciate your contribution.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:22 pm
@Zetherin,
Quote:
you can still look for truth even if you know it doesn't exist in a form that is perfectly intelligible.

Brilliant!

Quote:
Well, a defined latissimus dorsi is hard to come by for a woman. Perhaps this is where the distaste for women arouses. I mean, everyone hates a female bodybuilding competition, especially if it's perceived as a deterrence to the mind-body transformation.

I don't. Those girls are in better shape than I am. Better health. Good health is... good, right?

Quote:
Let's not even get on feminists. Oh God do I hate them.

What's wrong with sexual equality?
Zetherin

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:30 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Brilliant!

I wish I had understood what that actually means. It sounds very insightful, but I actually don't know why you should seek a truth that isn't intelligible. Care to help me with this one?

Quote:
I don't. Those girls are in better shape than I am. Better health. Good health is... good, right?
I personally would rather see a male bodybuilding competition. But here's another example of 'women have to do everything males do, despite how silly it may seem'.

Quote:

What's wrong with sexual equality?
There's nothing wrong with sexual equality. There is something wrong with twisting every perceived indifference towards a woman into discrimination. Let's take a look at recent politics - modern feminists have created an upheavel over the "you can put lipstick on a pig..", proposing that Obama is discriminating against women. It's one of those things where there is so much of an extremist effort, they are almost reaching for new ammunition. If they want to be so ******* equal, they could start by acting, ya know, equal. Feminism's goal doesn't so much seem targeted at making things equal for women, but rather making women appear special.

(disclaimer: I must sound completely contradictory, right? I mean, I just spent a good portion of 10 pages describing how lost and without direction I am, only to now make actual, strong personal opinions.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:42 pm
@Zetherin,
Quote:
I wish I had understood what that actually means. It sounds very insightful, but I actually don't know why you should seek a truth that isn't intelligible. Care to help me with this one?

Perhaps I misunderstood Grimlock. My take is that truth is experience based; therefore, language can never fully explain the truth of an experience.

Quote:
I personally would rather see a male bodybuilding competition. But here's another example of 'women have to do everything males do, despite how silly it may seem'.

Is it any sillier for women to pursue physical perfection, than for men to pursue physical perfect. I've always thought bodybuilding competitions, male or female, to be silly.

As for feminism - the Republican reaction to the Obama statement was pure politics. McCain used the same phrase when attacking Hillary.