William

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 09:12 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
...answer my questions...

I did. It seems you have all the answers you need. Good luck with that.

William
xris

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 09:21 am
@William,
William wrote:
I did. It seems you have all the answers you need. Good luck with that.

William
I dont think you did but i can understand your problem they are pretty hard to answer...no i have not got all the answers my journey is far from secure far from perfect but i dont maintain i know the answers then refuse to answer them..
0 Replies

Sarah phil

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 04:27 pm
@Sarah phil,
Aha! I wasted much time and really loved all, however, finally made my dream. Then all hell happened - brother shot himself, granddaughter died, much more - now, I adore life and God helped a bit but never enough. So, mother nature and I are in tow.
God stuff is full of rules if you find yourself stuck there. Nature is, is, is and continues to be - at least where I am.
We only kick the can once and thereafter, whatever.
(I have purposely left a lot of stuff out of this blog.)
Anyhow, love this site.
0 Replies

Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 11:07 am
@William,
William wrote:
So, you think "this" is God's reality? You, my friend are under "religion's spell", as to what those interpretation's define God to be, not mine.

Define God?
God is limitless and therefore cannot be defined.
Sarah phil

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 11:34 am
@Sarah phil,
Bin, do you really do dungeons and dragons?
Sarah phil

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 05:06 pm
@Sarah phil,
Someone, many, many years ago, penned a best seller!
0 Replies

Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 04:47 am
@Sarah phil,
Sarah wrote:
Bin, do you really do dungeons and dragons?

Where did this question come from???

I did a long time ago when i was a kid.
0 Replies

Sarah phil

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 06:34 am
@Sarah phil,
Just curious. No one in my home did but I heard about many who really got into it.
The god thing really bothers me. Have been reading too much I think and trying too hard to understand. Where we are, there are many literalists and that is awful. But it gives me the understanding that trouble comes from pushing beliefs. Tom Harpur's books are enlightening; have you heard of him by chance?
0 Replies

ciceronianus

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 08:00 am
@Sarah phil,
God's teeth! This thread should be entitled "What do you believe God to be?" shouldn't it? There is nothing wrong with such an inquiry. But unless you accept the same premises in such a discussion, is it even possible to argue the point?
0 Replies

Sarah phil

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 08:05 am
@Sarah phil,
Perhaps there is futility in carrying on this discussion. Right?
0 Replies

William

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 09:31 am
@Binyamin Tsadik,
Binyamin Tsadik wrote:
Define God?
God is limitless and therefore cannot be defined.

Well, it seems you know enough about Him to establish "His Laws". Those are what you might call "definitive".

William
Sarah phil

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 10:20 am
@Sarah phil,
It is called "having the answer"!
xris

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 10:48 am
@Sarah phil,
Have we reinfoced your beliefs by asking what god is..to answer means that there is a god...not unless you ask is he a desire a longing...
0 Replies

Sarah phil

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 11:53 am
@Sarah phil,
I don't have many beliefs but am very unsettled by those literalists who "have the answer". They have read the bible, believe every word, and attempt to make everyone else believe what they believe because, of course, they are right. They are positively positive that their way is THE way. Anything else is watering down.
I do like very much reading others views.
0 Replies

Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:26 pm
@William,
William wrote:
Well, it seems you know enough about Him to establish "His Laws". Those are what you might call "definitive".

William

I don't define Him. He created the world and wants what is best for us. So yes, I follow His Laws.

I wanted to speak to you more about the concept of fear. Fear is not the best word for it.

It's the feeling you get when you are standing before greatness. If you were to stand before someone you really admire, The Dahli Lhama, or John Lennon or whoever it is you admire. Many people feel this way when in the presence of their father. If you have this type of awe and admiration for them, then how much more so should you have awe for the one that created them.
ariciunervos

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 05:39 pm
@Binyamin Tsadik,
Binyamin Tsadik wrote:
He created the world and wants what is best for us.

Non-sense! God doesn't want what is best for us. Religion divides humanity and breeds hatred all over the world between these divisions. All religions claim "our god is the only true god" or "our prophet is the only true prophet" or "God gave this land to us not to you!". Obviously two religious persons can't peacefully coexist under these circumstances without feeling insulted by each other's statements. They can't peacefully coexist while one denies the other's faith.

If God wanted what is best for us he would have revealed to all humanity that either all religions are true or that all religions are false or that only X or Y religion or branch/interpretation is true and all should follow that one.

God could settle it once and for all thus making the world a better place, a less segregated world, a world ridden of religion based wars and jihads, a world in which people would not get away with killing in His name just because they kill in His name.

Or maybe when you said God "wants what is best for us" you didn't mean us humanity but us Israelites ? Well to that I'd agree, every cult wants all the best for its members, but when it comes to outsiders and even worse, members of other cults, things get nasty, with "God's permission" none the less ! :thats-enough:

If God exists then he "likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts! He gives this extraordinary gift and then--what does he do? I swear--for his own amusement--his own private cosmic gag reel--he sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time! Look. But don't touch! Touch. But don't taste! Taste. Don't swallow! And while you're jumping from one foot to the next, he's laughing his sick ******* ass off!! He's a tight ass, he's a sadist, he's an absentee landlord!! Worship that ? Never!" -- i liked this movie
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 02:34 pm
@ariciunervos,
ariciunervos wrote:
All religions claim "our god is the only true god" or "our prophet is the only true prophet" or "God gave this land to us not to you!". Obviously two religious persons can't peacefully coexist under these circumstances without feeling insulted by each other's statements. They can't peacefully coexist while one denies the other's faith.

To use your phrase: Non-sense! Factually absurd, no offense. No religion claims their God is the only true God, certain people belonging to religions make this claim. Same goes for the various respected teachers. People from different religious backgrounds can most certainly coexist - check up on Thomas Merton and Thich Nhat Hahn.

As a Christian I do not deny the Buddhist or Hindu, ect, faith. I applaud those and other traditions. This is a very real option for all religious people, and one that is quite popular.

Religion isn't either or - all religions are fine paths to take up. See, all people are different, live in different circumstances. Thus, faith traditions need variety to accommodate the variety of human living. It's ideologues, the fearful and the power hungry who deny faith traditions other than their own.
Sarah phil

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 02:40 pm
@Sarah phil,
Gracious. Check out your Baptist fellowships! The rules of same tolerate very little in the way of living life. Didymos, yours sounds like the perfect playground for saints my dear. Not so in many parts of the world.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 02:57 pm
@Sarah phil,
Yes, I'm very familiar with the Baptist church - heck, I've protested Baptists churches. But you cannot say that all religion is some way because some religious believers are that way. Religion, even a particular faith tradition, even a particular denomination are not monolithic - they contain multitudes.
0 Replies

Sarah phil

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 03:14 pm
@Sarah phil,
The Baptist church is raging in the US and Canada. Their way or no way - watering down the bible is the only other way. Too many people have bought in to what is Baptist. They have the "answer" so they think.
0 Replies