Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 05:50 pm
the god lives inside each of us. Cancer lives inside each of us too.
Conscious thought and action, are who we are. Lordy, smile that we are alive.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,704 • Replies: 133
No top replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 06:55 pm
@Sarah phil,
I have cancer? I knew I should have bought some health insurance.
Sarah phil

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 07:13 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
We all have cancer; it lurks in us and when it's time is ready, forth it comes. What kind is yours?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 07:14 pm
@Sarah phil,
Ah, a figurative cancer. Now I get you.

I have too many to count, and none I'd like to name in such an open venue.
Sarah phil

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 07:21 pm
@Sarah phil,
god is reality for many. so is cancer. so is mother nature. we are in the here and now and that is so very real. escapism is delicious too. taste whatever comes your way always looking for the good. not easy but exercise for the day. don't ever stop looking, seeing and learning. that being said, share your wealth of lore. god? I don't know. go to adam and eve and the talking snake and blind faith. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
TickTockMan

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 09:45 pm
@Sarah phil,
I like beer. A nice dark porter. Lightly chilled. God has hidden my bottle opener. No wait, there it is. It was hidden by some papers. All is well.
TickTockMan

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 09:55 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;28412 wrote:
Ah, a figurative cancer.

I had a figurative cancer once. It made my pants fit really funny. Fortunately I found a theoretical cure and it made me feel hypothetically better.
Theaetetus

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 10:07 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
I like beer. A nice dark porter. Lightly chilled. God has hidden my bottle opener. No wait, there it is. It was hidden by some papers. All is well.

I like beer too. I prefer to the beer to be as dark as possible, otherwise it had better be hoppy. Good stouts, porters, IPAs, and pale ales typically do the trick. That tricky God fellow nearly got you with a good one. He seems to have taken my beer out of the refrigerator. Oh wait. I drank the last couple the other night and I forgot to pick up more. Good thing I have something else right here to do the trick. Ahhhh...now all is well.

Now if God would do me a favor he would read me Kant's Groundwork to the Metaphysics of Morals in my sleep so I don't have to spend precious waking time doing so.
Theaetetus

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 10:08 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
I had a figurative cancer once. It made my pants fit really funny. Fortunately I found a theoretical cure and it made me feel hypothetically better.

Now that is too funny.
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 10:19 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;28432 wrote:
I like beer too. I prefer to the beer to be as dark as possible, otherwise it had better be hoppy. Good stouts, porters, IPAs, and pale ales typically do the trick.

I notice you are from Milwaukee, yet I notice you don't mention "Old Milwaukee" in your beer list. Oh wait . . . is that even technically considered beer?
Theaetetus

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 10:42 pm
@Sarah phil,
Around these locales we would call Old Milwaukee beer filtered through a horse. Milwaukee's Best (aka the Beast) would be beer filtered through multiple cattle. The funny thing is, I have never seen anyone drinking either since I have lived in Milwaukee.

My vote is God is good craft beer. The devil is beer filtered through farm animals. You know...figuratively speaking.
TickTockMan

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 11:06 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;28437 wrote:

My vote is God is good craft beer.

Agreed.

Theaetetus;28437 wrote:

The devil is beer filtered through farm animals. You know...figuratively speaking.

Or "Light" beer, literally speaking. The name "Lucifer" is Latin for "Light-Bringer." Coincidence? I think not.

Cheers,
Tock
Theaetetus

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 11:17 pm
@Sarah phil,
Old Milwaukee Light was awarded the Gold medal in the category American-Style Light Lager at the 2008 World Beer cup. So apparently there is no God or at least a supreme good natured one. Arguing about God has all been moot and amounts to a lot of lost time. The fact that Old Milwaukee wins awards also proves that an evil genius manipulates the universe. Thanks Old Milwaukee for settling an age old dispute.
0 Replies

Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 06:04 am
@Sarah phil,
Sarah wrote:
god is reality for many. so is cancer. so is mother nature. we are in the here and now and that is so very real. escapism is delicious too. taste whatever comes your way always looking for the good. not easy but exercise for the day. don't ever stop looking, seeing and learning. that being said, share your wealth of lore. god? I don't know. go to adam and eve and the talking snake and blind faith. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Quote:
God does not, not exist - Albert Einstein and the RaMBaM (1300 years earlier)

You cannot say that God exists, because that would be limiting him to existance and you cannot say that he doesn't exist because that would be excluding him from the realm of existance. The most one can say is that He doesn't "not exist".

Quote:
God is not a place in the universe, rather the universe is a place in God - Talmud

For our extensive purposes, what most people refer to God, is not God in essence, but God's will towards the universe.
God's will is a system that is described in the Kabbalah. It is known as the Tree of Life, and it is devided into 10 traits which are losely translated as:
1. The Crown of Desire
2. Intelligence
3. Understanding
4. Loving Kindness
5. Justice and Restraint
6. Mercy
7. Eternity
8. Meaning
9. Vitalization
10. Kingdom

Each trait is further subdivided such as Mercy which is divided into 13 Traits.

All of these 10 Traits work together in a system to bring forth a single goal of perfection.

This is God's will, and a portion of the Limitless but limited to the universe. When man is said to be created in the Immage of God, it means Man's system of Will is an immage of God's system of Will. All of these traits are also found in Man.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 06:24 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
My vote is God is good craft beer. The devil is beer filtered through farm animals. You know...figuratively speaking.

I like this, someone write this down. It's certainly more plausible (in an empirical sense, to our realm) than other explanations.

One question; are we talking farm animal matter (e.g., meats, beef by-products) or the actual animal itself?

Thanks
Sarah phil

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 07:04 am
@Sarah phil,
Aw gee, I like wine, homemade by the holy hands.
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 08:58 am
@TickTockMan,
Quote:

The name "Lucifer" is Latin for "Light-Bringer."

Hence the phrase "blinded by the light".

I got alchohol poisoning when I was seventeen and haven't been able to touch the stuff since. Perhaps I'm better off...
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 01:58 pm
@Solace,
Quote:
The name "Lucifer" is Latin for "Light-Bringer."

Lucifer is not the devil, is not Satan. Lucifer was the most beautiful of the Angels who rebelled against God. After the defeat of Lucifer's rebellion, Lucifer was cast out of Heaven. In the fall Lucifer transforms into Satan because he falls away from God.

As for drinking, I like beer and wine just fine. Original Coors is great American beer. But mostly I stick with a glass of rum.
Sarah phil

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 04:14 pm
@Sarah phil,
perhaps we should ponder other matters now.
god puts us here, so it is said, and hence, god will take us home. We just don't need to dwell in the past. right!
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 05:09 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;28526 wrote:
Lucifer is not the devil, is not Satan. Lucifer was the most beautiful of the Angels who rebelled against God. After the defeat of Lucifer's rebellion, Lucifer was cast out of Heaven. In the fall Lucifer transforms into Satan because he falls away from God.

But isn't that basically the same thing?
I mean, if I was thrown out of the philosophy forum I could change my name and come back under a different IP, but I'd still be the same guy.
0 Replies