Resha Caner

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 06:44 am
@Doorsopen,
I would disagree. So, I'm looking for more than unfounded statements. I'm looking for the basis that leads you to these conclusions.
Doorsopen

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 08:56 am
@Resha Caner,
I am not a scholar, so can offer no citations as a basis for my conclusions. I can however follow the logic that has been pre-offered:

Angels are Gods messengers and once they have fulfilled their purpose they cease to exist.

Satan is an Angel, and therefore a messenger of God with a purpose to be fulfilled.

His purpose is to lead men away from the will of God.

Man is born in original sin, that of being seperate from God, of defying God's will in having eaten the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil (That is to say we became consciously aware of this division from which life has been created). Adam and Eve were tempted by Satan in the form of the serpent in Genesis to eat this fruit, and their punishment was to be cast out of the Garden of Eden. That God transformed the serpent from a 'splendid beast' to a beast that would forever crawl in the dust tells us that his purpose has not yet been fulfilled and that his domain is to be the base matter from which life springs forth.

Man is made in God's image, in other words we have the ability to make conscious choices, we have a will. Either our will seeks to join God's will to form perfection, or it serves to separate us from God's will. Satan does not have choice, he is a messenger, and does not have the qualities of God. Man however, has been given this gift. It is our choice as to how this will is to be used. Satan, as an angel, albeit an angel who has been cast out of Heaven, is still an angel, and when his purpose of making us consciously aware of our separation from Gd, so that we may engage our will to return to God as been fulfilled, Satan, will cease to exist. Satan's power is only the power that we give through the choices of our free will.

It's basic theology.
Resha Caner

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:02 am
@Doorsopen,
Let me expand on our differences, then, to explain why one might come to a different conclusion.

First, you seem to be of the opinion that truth can be found through logic - sort of a neoplatonic view if I remember my labels correctly. The opposing view is that truth is only obtained by revelation. I tend to fall between these extremes. To use mathematical terms (I'm an engineer) we can interpolate between known truths but not extrapolate from known truths. (Of course there are many other positions as well, but I hope you get the point). My point being, I don't accept anyone's logic unless they start from a revealed truth.

In this case, the revealed truths are that God is good and Satan is evil. Therefore, God did not give Satan his purpose to lead people away from God. He had to choose it of his own free will. (That statement is loaded with positions that could be argued, so take your pick)
xris

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:27 am
@Resha Caner,
Every day i drive to work and i drive past thousands of dying children and the horror of it appalls me....no i dont really but the comment on a certain poster in the enviable condition of admiring the Rockies and relating it to a certainty of god real hissed me off.....should we admire this god for his benevolence to us..thats a joke by the way...should we be demanded to worship him and prey for our salvation??God is a illusion brought on by mans fears and his inability to control his destiny..Sorry to disrupt this thread but i could not stand by and watch the posters certainties anymore...
Doorsopen

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:16 pm
@xris,
xris;30265 wrote:
Every day i drive to work and i drive past thousands of dying children and the horror of it appalls me....no i dont really but the comment on a certain poster in the enviable condition of admiring the Rockies and relating it to a certainty of god real hissed me off.....should we admire this god for his benevolence to us..thats a joke by the way...should we be demanded to worship him and prey for our salvation??God is a illusion brought on by mans fears and his inability to control his destiny..Sorry to disrupt this thread but i could not stand by and watch the posters certainties anymore...

Consider for a moment that we may be God in action. When we do not act to resolve the world's problems how can God be merciful or benevolent? It is through us that appalling circumstances like starvation and abuse and murder must be overcome. There is no divine intervention without Man to intervene! Should one wish to find benevolence then he must give it to others.
xris

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:25 pm
@Doorsopen,
Doorsopen wrote:
Consider for a moment that we may be God in action. When we do not act to resolve the world's problems how can God be merciful or benevolent? It is through us that appalling circumstances like starvation and abuse and murder must be overcome. There is no divine intervention without Man to intervene! Should one wish to find benevolence then he must give it to others.
Man is man and he does what comes naturally, sometimes his an angel sometimes his a devil but a god is or should be always good..dont pass the buck to a non believer and say its my fault god is so bleeding awful...
William

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:34 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Man is man and he does what comes naturally, sometimes his an angel sometimes his a devil but a god is or should be always good..dont pass the buck to a non believer and say its my fault god is so bleeding awful...

Xris,
So what you are saying is, if I understand you correctly, if there were a God, no more stumped toes, no more duns in the mail, perfect teeth, perfect days every day, no poverty, all rich people, big screen TV's, mountain vista's, just a perfect world all the way around. Right? Xris, just how long do you think it would take for us to really get tired of that, considering how "we are". You know "just being who we are, and all"? There's beauty in "mud" if you are looking for water in the desert. It would be nice if we could just blame it all on God, but I am afraid that's just not how it works, IMO. All the crap, and I mean all the crap in the world is our "handi-work", and God has absolutely nothing to do with it. We still don't offer any culpability, in that we have got a "scapegoat" to blame it all on and that is the "devil", leaving man free and clear all the way around. What a crock.

The problem you mentioned as to "starving children" (that make believe scenario you made up) I am afraid does exist, began a long time ago when we started labeling people and judging them by how much money they had in their pockets. If you had a lot of money, you were "somebody"; good had nothing to do with it. Either you would be slaughtered for your wealth or you would be considered an "idol". As far as anyone blaming you because you are a "non-believer", is an interpretation you bestowed on yourself. Yes, you are right, it is God's fault. That part of God that is "us", that is. So you could say it is God's fault. It is us to the degree that we do not recognize that oneness. As long as we consider ourselves "apart" from God, there is no telling what we are capable of and it will be "our end". You can count on it.

So you see, if we don't get our act together, in affect, God will what you might call "commit suicide" that little part of Him that we are, as we simply "destroy ourselves". Something akin to God cutting out an ingrown toenail. Not a big deal to God, but everything to us.
I hope this will perhaps help a little.

William
Sarah phil

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:59 pm
@Sarah phil,
William, you spake it all out. Whew!!!! Egad! Didn't you know you could join one of the wee parcels of folks who "have the answer" and you would be sheltered there.
Love is all William.
Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 03:59 pm
@Resha Caner,
Resha Caner wrote:
Very cool. You might have to humor me and occasionally Westernize some of the names you're using. By Rambam I assume you mean Moses Maimonides.

I'm not very familiar with him - basically at a "wiki" level, but I wouldn't have interpreted some of what he says to imply that angels cease to exist when their purpose is complete. I do like his view of angels, though.

So is there an explicit example of what you say, or is it all inference? For example, I could quote Luke 20:36 as the reason a Christian would claim angels are eternal (not that you would accept it). Even that reference, though, is not explicit.

My mind ran wild with applying this idea to Satan. Let's say God gives an angel a mission, and there is more than one way to properly execute the mission. Does the angel have a choice? If he does, then it could easily follow that he could make a bad choice. In Satan's case, he could refuse to complete the mission, thereby self-sustaining his own existence indefinitely. In other words, Satan could choose to make himself eternal. Being now eternal, it would be easy for Satan to think that in an infinity of time he could achieve omnipotence. Hence, he would be like God. And so the fall of the angels.

But, the downside of Rambam's position is that the angels become very mechanical - without the ability to make choices. So, would you say angels do or do not have choices?

Yea, RaMBaM is Maimonides, but he did not start this concept of Angels ceasing to exist when their task is complete. He is the one who labeled the Ophanim as the Planetary influence.

Angels would only be Eternal if they had an Eternal Task.

And from a Jewish perspective, HaSatan (Satan) does not go against God's Will. He is also an angel with a specific task and once his task is no longer required He will also cease to exist. (In the distant future).

I dont know the specifics of 'if Angels have a choice of how to apply this mission.' It is an interesting question though. I would assume that they have some kind of choice. Many stories of angels from the Midrashim almost humanize angels and give them personalities. But these are always the higher angels and not the messanger angels. I would picture angels like ants, going away at their specified task. Some intelligence to find a proper path but not much more. But I am not quoting anything here, so take this definition with a grain of salt.
The only thing I could find about the free choice of angels is a Midrash from the story of the Garden of Eden. Comparing Free Will before eating of the Tree of Knowledge and after.
Before eating of the tree of knowledge Free Will was in the realm of True and False like the Angels. We could make a false choice but we never would. It would be like us chosing to jump into a pit of fire and burning to death. It is clearly false. But we are still able to jump if we are so inclined. After eating of the fruit we saw things as Good and Evil. So you see from this Midrash it would seem that Angels have the ability to deviate from truth, but don't because it would be false and their own destruction.

Another Midrash is when Israel was about to receive the Torah [Exodus 24:7] they said, We will do and we will listen.

The Midrash asks "Who gave them the secret of the Angels?"

How is this statement the secret of the Angels?

The angles are created for one purpose alone: to carry out God's bidding. They "Do" (carry out) God's will before they "listen" (inquire as to the reason for the command and its purpose). They cannot act otherwise, for their entire existence hinges upon this one purpose.

The Midrash also states that God held a mountain over Israel so that if they refused the Torah it would crush them.

This goes along the same lines. (Midrash is always metaphorical and should never be taken litteraly) Israel's entire purpose to existence was to accept the Torah and carry it out. The entire reason they exist is for this. If they do not accept the Torah and keep it, then they no longer have a reason to exist. They therefore must accept it and keep it.
Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 04:06 pm
@Binyamin Tsadik,
Look what i found,

Play Reincarnation: ADDO, a free online game on Kongregate
0 Replies

Sarah phil

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 05:37 pm
@Sarah phil,
Hi Bin, saw your game and will indulge, perhaps, later. End of October tomorrow. Hmmm, I will leave the farm and shop and accept all I see.
Cheers.
0 Replies

William

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 07:17 pm
@Sarah phil,
Sarah wrote:
William, you spake it all out. Whew!!!! Egad! Didn't you know you could join one of the wee parcels of folks who "have the answer" and you would be sheltered there.
Love is all William.

Thank you so very much for your kind post. Enlightenment is in itself a shelter. Though I am curious what "wee parcels of folks" are you referring to. I long for such company so much. Please elaborate a little, if you don't mind. Smile

Thank you,
William
0 Replies

Sarah phil

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 07:50 pm
@Sarah phil,
Oh William, stay far away from the "wee parcels of folks who ""have the answer"" and will shelther you". Theirs is the wrong answer for sure! Just rest in the thought that God is Love and if you love, God is in you. Be happy where and who you are my friend. When you are happy, you make others happy too. Take time to smell the flowers.
TickTockMan

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 08:09 pm
@Sarah phil,
Sarah;30463 wrote:
Oh William, stay far away from the "wee parcels of folks who ""have the answer"" and will shelther you". Theirs is the wrong answer for sure! Just rest in the thought that God is Love and if you love, God is in you. Be happy where and who you are my friend. When you are happy, you make others happy too. Take time to smell the flowers.

Well, maybe. Infinite compassion is indeed a virtue, but if you only smell the flowers you're missing half the picture. Take some time to roll around in the pig poop as well.

Few people send prayers of thanks when they're miserable. As if being alive, regardless of one's situation, is not enough. That's gratitude for you.

Respectfully,
Tock
0 Replies

William

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 08:41 pm
@Sarah phil,
Sarah wrote:

Now I am totally confused as to what you meant, unless you were being "scarcastic". I was just curious as to what you were referring to. Sometimes I can be a little dense.:perplexed:

William
0 Replies

xris

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 04:33 am
@William,
William wrote:
Xris,
So what you are saying is, if I understand you correctly, if there were a God, no more stumped toes, no more duns in the mail, perfect teeth, perfect days every day, no poverty, all rich people, big screen TV's, mountain vista's, just a perfect world all the way around. Right? Xris, just how long do you think it would take for us to really get tired of that, considering how "we are". You know "just being who we are, and all"? There's beauty in "mud" if you are looking for water in the desert. It would be nice if we could just blame it all on God, but I am afraid that's just not how it works, IMO. All the crap, and I mean all the crap in the world is our "handi-work", and God has absolutely nothing to do with it. We still don't offer any culpability, in that we have got a "scapegoat" to blame it all on and that is the "devil", leaving man free and clear all the way around. What a crock.

The problem you mentioned as to "starving children" (that make believe scenario you made up) I am afraid does exist, began a long time ago when we started labeling people and judging them by how much money they had in their pockets. If you had a lot of money, you were "somebody"; good had nothing to do with it. Either you would be slaughtered for your wealth or you would be considered an "idol". As far as anyone blaming you because you are a "non-believer", is an interpretation you bestowed on yourself. Yes, you are right, it is God's fault. That part of God that is "us", that is. So you could say it is God's fault. It is us to the degree that we do not recognize that oneness. As long as we consider ourselves "apart" from God, there is no telling what we are capable of and it will be "our end". You can count on it.

So you see, if we don't get our act together, in affect, God will what you might call "commit suicide" that little part of Him that we are, as we simply "destroy ourselves". Something akin to God cutting out an ingrown toenail. Not a big deal to God, but everything to us.
I hope this will perhaps help a little.

William
Is this the best you can do to defend your God? Tell me why did god create us? was it for our benefit or his? Why did he create us imperfect?...why the nasty little germs that crawl up your rectum and eat you from the inside out..why the death of thousands in earthquakes and the cold bloody minded viewing of children dying in their millions? Is that the best you can do???In your view God made man with all the knowledge and interest of a maniac..
Resha Caner

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:55 am
@Binyamin Tsadik,
Binyamin Tsadik wrote:
Yea, RaMBaM is Maimonides ... I dont know the specifics of 'if Angels have a choice of how to apply this mission.' It is an interesting question though.

Thanks for the answer. I have something to mull over the weekend.
0 Replies

Sarah phil

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 07:51 am
@Sarah phil,
Know something ......... just waking up in the morning is sometimes good enough or bad enough depending on the day before. Knowing that man created the holy books, the angels, the rules, can change who we blame for stuff. I, too, am dense!
0 Replies

William

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 08:20 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Is this the best you can do to defend your God? Tell me why did god create us? was it for our benefit or his? Why did he create us imperfect?...why the nasty little germs that crawl up your rectum and eat you from the inside out..why the death of thousands in earthquakes and the cold bloody minded viewing of children dying in their millions? Is that the best you can do???In your view God made man with all the knowledge and interest of a maniac..

So, you think "this" is God's reality? You, my friend are under "religion's spell", as to what those interpretation's define God to be, not mine. You see, man is perfect. Too perfect as a matter of a fact. You might even say "autonomous". That's the problem. We assume we can "get along" without God and what you have noted is just a sampling of how "good" we are doing a "running" his planet.

You have a right to be angry. Unfortunately there are those who could care less and those are the one's who think they "own" this planet. You think what you have stated is God's fault. Not hardly. Hell, my list is a lot longer than yours. ALL of what you have noted is due to the lack of God in our lives.

We have the knowledge, resources and manpower to solve all the problems you stated, yet we are more interested in ourselves than our fellow man. Life does not come at a price, my friend. Unfortunatley if one does not have the cost of admission this reality imposes in order to live that life, they are screwed. There are those who rate and those who don't. WHAT A CROCK!!!!!!!!:letme-at-em:

I will go so far as to say even the "natural" catastrophic occurances will subside once we get our heads out of our ass and begin to understand we are all in this together.

Oh, and by the way, as far as the "rectum", there a many things going up that orifice that shouldn't.

William
xris

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 08:44 am
@William,
William wrote:
So, you think "this" is God's reality? You, my friend are under "religion's spell", as to what those interpretation's define God to be, not mine. You see, man is perfect. Too perfect as a matter of a fact. You might even say "autonomous". That's the problem. We assume we can "get along" without God and what you have noted is just a sampling of how "good" we are doing a "running" his planet.

You have a right to be angry. Unfortunately there are those who could care less and those are the one's who think they "own" this planet. You think what you have stated is God's fault. Not hardly. Hell, my list is a lot longer than yours. ALL of what you have noted is due to the lack of God in our lives.

We have the knowledge, resources and manpower to solve all the problems you stated, yet we are more interested in ourselves than our fellow man. Life does not come at a price, my friend. Unfortunatley if one does not have the cost of admission this reality imposes in order to live that life, they are screwed. There are those who rate and those who don't. WHAT A CROCK!!!!!!!!:letme-at-em:

I will go so far as to say even the "natural" catastrophic occurances will subside once we get our heads out of our ass and begin to understand we are all in this together.

Oh, and by the way, as far as the "rectum", there a many things going up that orifice that shouldn't.

William
Rhetoric and nothing more..when did i say man was perfect?...Like all god fearing souls when god fails them they blame man...answer my questions instead of preaching to me...Man will never unite he is too imperfect but i dont blame god because he does not exist... we are our own enemy our only salvation...