13
   

What is the purpose of life after death ?

 
 
exile
 
  1  
Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 02:46 pm
@aussie mark,
Sorry if this point has been raised before....

If God has our best interests at heart, why don't we get born into paradise straight away without the painful and stressful business of living on earth first? OK I know about Adam and Eve - but a God who would deny billions of people the chance of paradise due to mistakes made by two people is not a God I wish to know.

So - the question should be - not why is there an afterlife - but why is there a life?
Neil D
 
  1  
Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 07:26 pm
@exile,
exile;168196 wrote:
Sorry if this point has been raised before....

If God has our best interests at heart, why don't we get born into paradise straight away without the painful and stressful business of living on earth first? OK I know about Adam and Eve - but a God who would deny billions of people the chance of paradise due to mistakes made by two people is not a God I wish to know.

So - the question should be - not why is there an afterlife - but why is there a life?


Who is God? Where does this God live? Everywhere?(whatever that means) I will admit, there are countless finely tuned things that exist in the universe. Whether it was designed that way, or not. It is absolutely amazing, and beyond comprehension.

Here are a couple ideas:

1) The Big Bang was a genesis project initiated by an advanced alien race. This says nothing about god however.

2) At the time before the inflation of the universe. The four fundamental forces were combined into a single superforce. This superforce was god, and it initiated the big bang.

The purpose of life after death. The purpose of any life i would assume is to experience. For one anyways.
0 Replies
 
Krumple
 
  1  
Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 08:33 pm
@PoPpAScience,
PoPpAScience;5382 wrote:
aussie mark: There is life after death for the same reason there is life before life. "Evolution of spirit". A better question would be which life is the more significant, life here on earth, or life in other realms? I personal believe that all our spirits have lived in many forms, along the long and winding road of evoluting being.

I do not believe one can exist in a heaven like realm unless they are a purely emanating spirits. Only a spirit that lives for giving to others, can live in a realm (heaven) of bliss. As long as your spirit has cravings for this earthly existence, one must come back here, to hopefully evolve beyond an absorbing spirit, to an emanating spirit.

Those spirits that became absorbed in there own "pain/regret", end up in a hell realm. We all know the horror of regret, don't we?


Yeah this sounds all fairy tale-ish but what about one other aspect you neglect to realize as a possibility? What if you want neither earthly existence nor a heaven existence?

I think it is funny that peoples motivation for heaven is that it is some pure bliss state when clearly they would never accept such a thing to begin with. Not to mention you would be bored to death of it, in less than an hour. It is the conflict of nature that people strive to submerse themselves into. So if that heaven does not have this aspect then it would be rejected at some point.

I am not surprised that some strive for it regardless of that fact. I think they are motivated by another force, an emotional force of fear. They simply can not fathom that one day they will not be. They can't or refuse to accept that death is an end to experience. That they will never feel, think or do anything ever again. That scares them so they invent these ideas of blissful heavens and reliving lives for perfection.

So if the purpose is for perfection, what happens when you achieve perfection? Just hang out and wait for the others? Absurd.
Neil D
 
  1  
Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 09:20 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;168379 wrote:
Yeah this sounds all fairy tale-ish but what about one other aspect you neglect to realize as a possibility? What if you want neither earthly existence nor a heaven existence?

I think it is funny that peoples motivation for heaven is that it is some pure bliss state when clearly they would never accept such a thing to begin with. Not to mention you would be bored to death of it, in less than an hour. It is the conflict of nature that people strive to submerse themselves into. So if that heaven does not have this aspect then it would be rejected at some point.

I am not surprised that some strive for it regardless of that fact. I think they are motivated by another force, an emotional force of fear. They simply can not fathom that one day they will not be. They can't or refuse to accept that death is an end to experience. That they will never feel, think or do anything ever again. That scares them so they invent these ideas of blissful heavens and reliving lives for perfection.

So if the purpose is for perfection, what happens when you achieve perfection? Just hang out and wait for the others? Absurd.


They tried to create this blissful perfect world in the Matrix movie. Apparently it didnt work to well for the machines either. Entire crops were lost.

Just because the majority of people cannot accept death as the end to experience, and buy into this Heaven BS. Does not mean that death is the end of experience. Its hard to believe that every single ghost documentation is fake, so life could possibly exist in some form after death.
Fil Albuquerque
 
  1  
Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 09:26 pm
@aussie mark,
aussie mark;5354 wrote:
:confused: Can any one explain to the forum why there is supposed to be a life after death and what would the purpose of that life be ,

Thank you Very Happy


What is the purpose of Life wile alive ??? :bigsmile:
0 Replies
 
Krumple
 
  1  
Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 09:31 pm
@Neil D,
Neil;168386 wrote:
They tried to create this blissful perfect world in the Matrix movie. Apparently it didnt work to well for the machines either. Entire crops were lost.

Just because the majority of people cannot accept death as the end to experience, and buy into this Heaven BS. Does not mean that death is the end of experience. Its hard to believe that every single ghost documentation is fake, so life could possibly exist in some form after death.


Just like every Sasquatch sighting must be real? Or the Loch Ness Monster? I probably shouldn't forget that aliens are really visiting earth too.

I have never seen a ghost or any of the above and I doubt anyone has. I would say a majority of the time when these so called sightings happen the person is under some kind of distress so their imaginations play tricks on them. Then all the others are making it up for what ever reason.
0 Replies
 
xris
 
  1  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:41 am
@exile,
exile;168196 wrote:
Sorry if this point has been raised before....

If God has our best interests at heart, why don't we get born into paradise straight away without the painful and stressful business of living on earth first? OK I know about Adam and Eve - but a God who would deny billions of people the chance of paradise due to mistakes made by two people is not a God I wish to know.

So - the question should be - not why is there an afterlife - but why is there a life?
Why should the idea of an after life have to include a god?
0 Replies
 
exile
 
  1  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:41 pm
@aussie mark,
Being a rationalist I find no reason to believe in either. I'm just hypothesising taking as an axiom that the Judeo/Christian/Muslim God exists, and created human beings, and exiled them from paradise thus forcing them to live in the world we live in today, suffering death at the end of such lives, but on certain conditions allowing them to live for ever in the said paradise.
xris
 
  1  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:16 pm
@exile,
exile;168652 wrote:
Being a rationalist I find no reason to believe in either. I'm just hypothesising taking as an axiom that the Judeo/Christian/Muslim God exists, and created human beings, and exiled them from paradise thus forcing them to live in the world we live in today, suffering death at the end of such lives, but on certain conditions allowing them to live for ever in the said paradise.

Rationalist, whats that got to do with it? I'm rational and I asked you a question, why should god be necessary when debating the possibility of an after life? We are not debating god but an after life. The argument that if you disprove god, it automatically infers an after life does not exist, thats not rational or logical.
0 Replies
 
chad3006
 
  1  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:01 pm
@aussie mark,
The purpose of life after death is to convince the masses to sacrifice their real life for a really great afterlife.
Vheissu
 
  1  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 05:54 pm
@chad3006,
I believe that the purpose of life after death is too put the human mind at ease. It is a product of the undying hopefulness of humanity. Humans for the most part are much too selfish to believe their lives are nothing more. I must say that I too, have an ingrained feeling that I will spiritually move on to experience something more than life on earth.
Amperage
 
  1  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:12 pm
@chad3006,
The purpose of the life after death is completion. And a fullness. A becoming one with God. A revelation of truth, of love, of knowledge, of understanding.

I also agree with Fil. Albuquerque when he asks, what is the purpose of life before death?

Life and life after death(should it exist) have the same purpose, knowledge of God. Bringing our spirit into oneness with the spirit of God. To love God. We can spend our lives and all eternity exploring God and the ways of God and still not reach that. But the journey is not wasted. Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.
Neil D
 
  1  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 07:54 pm
@Amperage,
All this talk about god, and nobody knows what it is. Might as well be talking about dark matter/energy. Nobody knows what that is either. God is just some delusional fantasy, or fairy tale. Like a kid believing in the tooth fairy. Until there is some sort of theoretical scientific explanation as to what the nature of this so-called god might be.

And this talk about god being loving, caring, etc. Thats a bunch of bull crap. I see evil in the world, and if god created it. Then its nature is much more complex than the pleasing human-like attributes we assign to it.

I dont see why life after death should be dependent on something that there is no proof of, or decent explanation of. But it seems to me that if there is a purpose to life, or life after death. Then that would imply a creator that had the purpose in mind.
Krumple
 
  1  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 09:06 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;168833 wrote:
The purpose of the life after death is completion. And a fullness. A becoming one with God. A revelation of truth, of love, of knowledge, of understanding.

I also agree with Fil. Albuquerque when he asks, what is the purpose of life before death?

Life and life after death(should it exist) have the same purpose, knowledge of God. Bringing our spirit into oneness with the spirit of God. To love God. We can spend our lives and all eternity exploring God and the ways of God and still not reach that. But the journey is not wasted. Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.


If this is the purpose, why even bother with the whole living part then? I mean if the purpose of living is to discover god and the whole point of death is to become one with god, it does not follow that there need be a life step. It is absolutely absurd reasoning to say that there needs to be a life step. Why not just create the being already absorbed into god? Wouldn't it be far more efficient? Think about it.

If you must under go a life that has a very vague understanding of what god is, and there is even a chance you would out right reject the god notion. Then wouldn't god creating this system be making it indirect?

To put it in another way to help you understand what I mean by this. Imagine there is a business which you have never seen. You have never met any of it's workers, you don't even know if there are any workers. You don't even know where this business is located. This business has a product to sell but instead of advertising it directly it just waits for people to buy it. The business relies completely on the fact that the product and not on advertising. Do you think this is an efficient business model for such a product?

(please don't try to bend my analogy by claiming the workers could use word of mouth to spread the knowledge of the product thus creating a snow ball effect of sales. As much as I know this is a way, I am referring to all methods of advertising were avoided including word of mouth advertising.)

You might try to claim that the god the manufacturer has done advertising, but I object to that claim. Because every theist out there has a different take on what the product is. So in reality the product was never advertise but instead the product has been promoted by the consumers themselves. It is the consumers who are falsely advertising the product to sell to others. The reason they do this? To cash in on the product that which does not exist.

So this god indirectly creates a bottle neck in the system if you claim that the whole point of life is to discover god. Because the chances of success are very very low. There are thousands of religions that do not support the christian definition of god. So your chances of choosing the correct religion is very small. However theists never make this assessment, they just assume their belief is correct and care nothing for the possibility that they could be just as wrong as the next person.

So I reject the claim that the purpose of life is to discover god. If I am wrong so be it but I will still stand on the point that god has used one of the worst possible scenarios to achieve the purpose of life.
ughaibu
 
  1  
Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 01:12 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;168876 wrote:
I reject the claim that the purpose of life is to discover god.
In any case, what purpose does discovering god serve?
TickTockMan
 
  1  
Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 01:21 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;168938 wrote:
In any case, what purpose does discovering god serve?


Yes. It seems that to do so would be a bit like suddenly having to carry a picture of your boss around in your wallet. A constant reminder to do a good job all the time, or risk getting fired. In the case of god, quite literally.
0 Replies
 
Soul Brother
 
  1  
Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 01:43 am
@Neil D,
Neil;168857 wrote:
All this talk about god, and nobody knows what it is. Might as well be talking about dark matter/energy. Nobody knows what that is either. God is just some delusional fantasy, or fairy tale. Like a kid believing in the tooth fairy. Until there is some sort of theoretical scientific explanation as to what the nature of this so-called god might be.

And this talk about god being loving, caring, etc. Thats a bunch of bull crap. I see evil in the world, and if god created it. Then its nature is much more complex than the pleasing human-like attributes we assign to it.

I dont see why life after death should be dependent on something that there is no proof of, or decent explanation of. But it seems to me that if there is a purpose to life, or life after death. Then that would imply a creator that had the purpose in mind.


Need I remind you to read the forum rules?

Absolutely no respect!
0 Replies
 
Reconstructo
 
  1  
Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 01:49 am
@Vheissu,
Vheissu;168823 wrote:
I believe that the purpose of life after death is too put the human mind at ease. It is a product of the undying hopefulness of humanity. Humans for the most part are much too selfish to believe their lives are nothing more. I must say that I too, have an ingrained feeling that I will spiritually move on to experience something more than life on earth.


I like this. I think selfishness is a big part of the immortality desire. We think ourselves in terms of our persona. We think we are our face, our history, our abstractions. And of course we largely are these things.

But I suggest this possibility. That humans at their highest moments are pretty much the same. One person full of love, the perception of beauty, and gratitude, is much like another. And this state of mind is not really self-conscious, in my opinion. I think we can forgive death and the world's injustice much more easily if we see that the newborn is quite a bit like the sweet old lady who is passing away. I'm saying that the best part of us is nameless, ageless, timeless. But this is a mental state, for me. I don't expect an afterlife, except that I do expect the humans that come after me to be very much like me. The same confusions and the same occasional "self"-transcending exaltation. I look at art, religious metaphor, music, mathematics, and I see recurrent apparently universal forms. Smile

Of course the world is more beautiful for all the diversity of human beings. I never want to come across as ungrateful toward the uniqueness of human beings. It's just that there may be a great state of mind where we are one. But this is metaphorical. Smile
0 Replies
 
Alan McDougall
 
  1  
Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 01:54 am
@aussie mark,
The pupose of "life" after death is the word "LIFE" in the phrase in life after death
0 Replies
 
ughaibu
 
  1  
Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 01:56 am
@aussie mark,
One thing about these two-life models is that the second life is considerably longer, usually infinitely longer, this means that the probability is infinitely high that this is the afterlife.
 

Related Topics

How can we be sure? - Discussion by Raishu-tensho
Proof of nonexistence of free will - Discussion by litewave
morals and ethics, how are they different? - Question by existential potential
Destroy My Belief System, Please! - Discussion by Thomas
Star Wars in Philosophy. - Discussion by Logicus
Existence of Everything. - Discussion by Logicus
Is it better to be feared or loved? - Discussion by Black King
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/22/2021 at 05:34:34