The Point In Human Life

JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 03:46 pm
@dpmartin,
Obviously--that is to say, according to our experience--there is only the present, the so-called now. But it is empty: it's the future becoming the past. Actually, the "now" is only the THOUGHT, "now". That thought means nothing without the supporting thoughts of "past" and "future." In actuality there is only the experience of the empty (i.e., non-existent) future becoming the empty (i.e., non-existent) past. That experience is itself a dynamic, empty moving moment, but not something that one can stop and grasp.
I'm repeating in part something I've said before.
JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 03:50 pm
@JLNobody,
As I see it life is pointless, but the wonderful thing is that it does not need a point. It has value in itself, which is why we all hate to give it up--without being able to explain why.
Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 03:53 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
As I see it life is pointless, but the wonderful thing is that it does not need a point.

Just eggs-acktly what i was comin' here to say . . .
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 03:58 pm
@Setanta,
Our point in human life is to perpetuate the species; we came into being because a man and woman had sex. Nine months later, out popped "us."

How we exist is a matter of the culture, environment, government, religion, and opportunities for advancing oneself from babe to adult. Some people are lucky enough through their ancestors to have immigrated to a country that offered the opportunities to live a descent life on this planet.

Luck of the draw, as they say.
0 Replies

voiceindarkness

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 04:45 pm
@Alot to learn,
Alot to learn wrote:

Yes I like knock knock jokes. Are you prepared for the coming of Jehova by the way?
Knock, Knock! Cool
JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 06:13 pm
@voiceindarkness,
O.K.. Who's there?
JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 06:13 pm
@voiceindarkness,
O.K.. Who's there?
0 Replies

dpmartin

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 06:43 am
@JLNobody,
thanks for the reply

I don’t buy that, reason being, we remember the past, anticipate the future, and experience the present or, “now”. The present is not a thought, though one might say that thinking now is a part of the experiencing of now, but if one gets in their car, goes to the store, returns and eats what one has purchased, then it wasn’t thought, it was experienced, though yes thinking while experiencing happened.

You can experience the present without deliberate thought, but without experiencing the present or “now” you have no thought.
Procrustes

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 07:12 am
@dpmartin,
Im not sure being in the moment is the point to life. Actually there is no justification for life in general. From what I understand, humans make up stuff to deal with existence so the uncertainty of existing doesn't make us feel that it's entirely hopless. Hence the social narrative that people buy into in the name of a long life that we have no real justification for.
dpmartin

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 07:33 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

As I see it life is pointless, but the wonderful thing is that it does not need a point. It has value in itself, which is why we all hate to give it up--without being able to explain why.

If “THOUGHT” is your master, then I can see how you perceive that nothing really matters; but Life is to experience the present “now” continuously.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 11:34 am
@dpmartin,
You misread me. THOUGHT is not my master, on the contrary, sensation is at the top, then emotion/feeling next and thought last. That is why I agree with you that what matters most is the continuous EXPERIENCE (sensations and feelings) of our ever-changing life.
But if we are going to THINK or talk ABOUT the present (the abstract "now") we must do so against the equally abstract conceptual background of the past and the future--all mutually dependent thoughts.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 11:39 am
@JLNobody,
Actually, life is what one makes of it, and it has little to do with "sensation." If one is hungry or thirsty, not much else matters. When one has adequate food and water, one can think of other ways to expand life experiences - which is still constrained by one's environment. Even in so-called developed countries, many take their own life for lack of desire to live, and it has very little or nothing to do with sensation. It's about the individual's subjective will to live or die.

It's a crazy world "out there," that has no simple answers.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 05:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Don't you mean It's a crazy world "in here"?
Of course it's neither here nor there...nor crazy.

The POINT of life is what we make it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 05:11 pm
@JLNobody,
Don't count me in with the masses; I just refuse to go along...
north

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 10:25 pm

that intelligent life is possible in this Universe and is everywhere
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 11:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Question
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 11:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Question
0 Replies

dpmartin

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 07:21 am
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:

Im not sure being in the moment is the point to life. Actually there is no justification for life in general. From what I understand, humans make up stuff to deal with existence so the uncertainty of existing doesn't make us feel that it's entirely hopless. Hence the social narrative that people buy into in the name of a long life that we have no real justification for.

thanks for the reply

I’m not saying it is the point to life, though our time is now, might apply. And the truth is, as you say, there is no justification for a long or short length of days in the world, other than, it was given to be in the world.

Living is done in vain, by those who believe living is done in vain. To give of life is fruits of life that is never done in vain even if the giving is to the thankless, and the ungrateful. If life is given to the believer, then Life is righteous because all men women and children are capable of believing, no other qualification necessary, even to those that believe living is done in vain. And all have the present, or now, to believe.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 07:28 am
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:
Actually there is no justification for life in general.
Shud there be justification,
according to your criteria ??????
dpmartin

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 07:59 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

You misread me. THOUGHT is not my master, on the contrary, sensation is at the top, then emotion/feeling next and thought last. That is why I agree with you that what matters most is the continuous EXPERIENCE (sensations and feelings) of our ever-changing life.
But if we are going to THINK or talk ABOUT the present (the abstract "now") we must do so against the equally abstract conceptual background of the past and the future--all mutually dependent thoughts.

Thanks for the reply

Well then this is a good thing. I can’t see through the computer and some times a

if such and such, then bla bla bla

statement helps to clear things up. But I apologize, I keep forgetting that using the word “you” in such statements can seem personal, or an attack of some sort, of which was not my intent.

0 Replies