The Point In Human Life

JLNobody

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 07:52 pm
@JLNobody,
Let me change my response: while there is no absolulte requirement that we create meaning for our lives, we are free to do so. I think that's one of the purposes for obtaining a good education, intellectually and artistically--and not just to make more money.
SynnGrim

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 08:07 pm
@JLNobody,
Well yes it is better to have a meaningful life by your personal standards, that's why we don't just eat, sleep, and fornicate for humankind to continue. Obvious stuff, and we are practically free to do whatever we want in life and are not absolutely required to do anything aside from things we must do to survive such as breathe, eat, and sleep. But even those things we can chose not to do with enough will power, it's just not smart or healthy.

well breathing we can't help even if we hold our breathe we will eventually pass out and begin breathing again against our will.
0 Replies

SynnGrim

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 08:12 pm
@Pavel phil,
Quote:
Surely each of us is right in some point.

Even if you both are wrong it does not matter, the point of philosophy is to gain wisdom from yourself and from others. So don't worry about being right just worry about wasting time on knowing less. No insults or offence to anyone here, I am not here to insult anyone just to further my wisdom as well as try to help others do the same thing.
0 Replies

smcmonagle

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 09:51 pm
@Pavel phil,
i like the answer i heard a few years ago.. LOVE!!! We search for it>> we crave it >> we live for it. weather it be great friends of close co workers. we want them to love us and want to love them. Its the search for the great self and all to know it it and love it as much as you find to love yourself
smcmonagle

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 10:28 pm
@smcmonagle,
In addition> you will have this answer the last seconds of your life when the last thing on your mind will be the one and only thing that ever mattered
0 Replies

voiceindarkness

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 09:00 pm
You can invent an idea for a point in human life. We all have the ability to imagine. You can imagine there is no point.
From creation itself, will come forth the point. You can't know the truth, until it is revealed by the creator. The point, or singularity, will come forth from the creation.
LOOKIN4SOMETHING

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 10:46 pm
@voiceindarkness,
GOOD POINT
fresco

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 01:58 am
@LOOKIN4SOMETHING,
You mean "good" in the sense of the taste of mental candy ? Smile
0 Replies

smcmonagle

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 10:19 pm
@voiceindarkness,
Yes u can invent anything you want but a good starting point would be to start a list of things that arent the point of life. You may find then a better list from which to pick from that really matter
voiceindarkness

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 11:22 pm
@smcmonagle,
smcmonagle wrote:

Yes u can invent anything you want but a good starting point would be to start a list of things that arent the point of life. You may find then a better list from which to pick from that really matter

A list of things that aren't the point of life? That list would be infinite.
It would include anything, and all things the mind can imagine.
There is a point, a singularity of light, it is at the heart of matter, it is the truth within the righteousness of God. There is where you will see him, when you see yourself within your point of space and time.
fresco

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 12:40 am
@voiceindarkness,
...and "the point" for the congenitally blind who have never experienced "light" would be what ?
Procrustes

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 01:18 am
It's funny to think of the the age we live in (predominantly capitalist/large market based economies) and how it coincides with the concept that 'life's meaning' can be somehow relatively acquired, or not. It is interesting to think whether humans living in medieval times had far less 'meanings' on that proverbial 'list' than in our day and age. I'm sure certain 'meanings' would still be still prevalent for people today like I'm sure that certain 'meanings' people use today wouldn't have any relevance in a world so far gone.

In terms of the actual question, human life may vary in it's 'point'/'purpose', or indeed one may not want one, and so to say there is a 'point of points' becomes somewhat inconsequential; when we break it down to see that each moment becomes a totally different 'reason'/'meaning'/'point' for someone merely being (this also includes the intention of not choosing a 'point'). If you zoom out into humanity as a whole, the same approach can be applied.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 01:20 am
@Pavel phil,
The point is to have fun; preferably, a lot of it.

David
Procrustes

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 04:40 am
@OmSigDAVID,
One person's definition of 'fun' may be 'hell' for another person...
JLNobody

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 09:41 am
For some people the point of life is to generate the most widely purchased bullcrap; for others it is the avoidance of same.
And, of course, these are not the only types of people.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 11:07 am
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:
One person's definition of 'fun' may be 'hell' for another person...
I know. I get that sometimes when I recommend Las Vegas for vacations.
Each man to his or her own tastes.

David
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 11:48 am
@JLNobody,
Let me qualify my last post. There are, of course, no real (only ideal) dualities such the one I proposed. Our metaphysical dichotomies are only tools to think with; they are not descriptions of reality. They help us to simplify or reduce the complexity and subtly of actual experience. I perceive myself as behaving--variably, of course-- somewhere on the "spectrum" between the ideal bullcrapper and truthful actor.
Ah, that feels better.
Procrustes

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 10:16 pm
@JLNobody,
I can relate to that. Is it safe to say that intentions can never be 'truly' known, (of course we do sometimes intend what we mean or act, but with certain people ie: someone looking 'shifty', we can veil intentions to get out of a situation.. or into them for that matter) cos I've dealt my fair share of bullcrap and honesty but these 'metaphysical' tools merely reflect that we know ourselves better than anyone can.

"The person you are most afraid to contradict is yourself."
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 10:42 pm
Regarding "the point" of life, I believe I read somewhere the assertion by Krishnamurti, that we ask questions like that when we are unfulfilled, and we are unfulfilled when we are deluded, driven by desires and attachments and unaccepting of each moment on its terms.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 10:42 pm
Regarding "the point" of life, I believe I read somewhere the assertion by Krishnamurti, that we ask questions like that when we are unfulfilled, and we are unfulfilled when we are deluded, driven by desires and attachments and unaccepting of each moment on its terms.