The "Overeducated" and Barack Obama

xris

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:05 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;124073 wrote:
But Obama's watch is still ticking, let us see what our country looks like when his presidency is over :whistling:
Maybe but lets not smell the cookies burning before their even made.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:27 am
@xris,
xris;124068 wrote:
Margaret Thatcher ruined the UK economy for ten years, just like the Bush legacy has ruined the US economy. The bankers failed under his watch not Obama's.

You mean that Obama's tripling the debt in a little over a year was Bush's fault? And, what about Obama's inability to get even a watered down version of Obama care? Was that also Bush's fault? And, let's see: Olympics in Chicago; Global (whatever it happens to be lately); negotiations with Iran; negotiations with North Korea; so far as I can tell, he is incompetent to do anything he tries to do. It must be Bush.

---------- Post added 02-01-2010 at 10:30 AM ----------

xris;124084 wrote:
Maybe but lets not smell the cookies burning before their even made.

The're. Not "their". "Their" is the third person possessive. But "The're" is a contraction of "they are".
Trouble is, Obama is unable even to make the cookies.

---------- Post added 02-01-2010 at 10:32 AM ----------

Zetherin;124073 wrote:
But Obama's watch is still ticking, let us see what our country looks like when his presidency is over :whistling:

I don't have to eat the whole egg to know that it is rotten. A taste and the smell is enough.
Zetherin

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:01 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

I don't have to eat the whole egg to know that it is rotten. A taste and the smell is enough.

I don't know if that's a good analogy. The egg cannot become fresh after being rotten, but can't the state of our country, financially at least, become better even after it's rotten? Can't Obama rectify what he has already done?
Jebediah

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:09 am
@kennethamy,
I see now we've gotten to the root of the issue: Obama can't make cookies.
Zetherin

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:14 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;124108 wrote:
I see now we've gotten to the root of the issue: Obama can't make cookies.

I think the more we use metaphor, the more successful Obama will become. Very Happy
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:26 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;124107 wrote:
I don't know if that's a good analogy. The egg cannot become fresh after being rotten, but can't the state of our country, financially at least, become better even after it's rotten? Can't Obama rectify what he has already done?

But, he doesn't even think it needs rectification. He is doing what he wants to do. It is not the state of the country that is rotten. That is not the analogy I have in mind. It is Obama. Wasn't that what we were talking about. Of course, this country even survived Jimmy Carter, so I hope it will survive Obama.

---------- Post added 02-01-2010 at 12:19 PM ----------

Zetherin;124109 wrote:
I think the more we use metaphor, the more successful Obama will become. Very Happy

That's all right. He has light years to go.
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 11:38 am
@Emil,
Emil;123610 wrote:
The subtle insults are not hard to spot.

You thought this was subtle?
Quote:
Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual"s life.

You should see some of the other political stuff some of my associates forward to me if you really want to see a lack of subtlety . . .
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 01:41 pm
@Emil,
Emil;123610 wrote:
That has to be one of the most biased pieces of text that I have ever read. The subtle insults are not hard to spot. Sure, lots of it is true but Obama is without doubt a better president than Bush. So even if he is bad, he is still an improvement.

No doubt at all? Hmm.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 01:57 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;124092 wrote:
You mean that Obama's tripling the debt in a little over a year was Bush's fault? And, what about Obama's inability to get even a watered down version of Obama care? Was that also Bush's fault? And, let's see: Olympics in Chicago; Global (whatever it happens to be lately); negotiations with Iran; negotiations with North Korea; so far as I can tell, he is incompetent to do anything he tries to do. It must be Bush.

---------- Post added 02-01-2010 at 10:30 AM ----------

The're. Not "their". "Their" is the third person possessive. But "The're" is a contraction of "they are".
Trouble is, Obama is unable even to make the cookies.

---------- Post added 02-01-2010 at 10:32 AM ----------

I see you have stopped using the big H is that because its to near you. You are good at smelling something nasty.. When you can give me one good thing Bush succeeded in doing, I might take your criticism with a certain interest. The only problem Obama has is the in built prejudice of republican die hards and their inability to realise Bush took them into a farcical war and allowed city bankers to ruin a reasonable economy. How you can complain about Obama with Bush as your idol is beyond reason.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 03:34 pm
@xris,
xris;124164 wrote:
I see you have stopped using the big H is that because its to near you. You are good at smelling something nasty.. When you can give me one good thing Bush succeeded in doing, I might take your criticism with a certain interest. The only problem Obama has is the in built prejudice of republican die hards and their inability to realise Bush took them into a farcical war and allowed city bankers to ruin a reasonable economy. How you can complain about Obama with Bush as your idol is beyond reason.

Bush prevented terrorist attacks on the United States after 9/11. He did it until he left office. It was only by luck that the terrorist attack on Christmas day was averted. No thanks to Obama. And, of course, Bush got rid of a dangerous tyrant in Iraq, was able to reverse throw Al-Quaeda out of Iraq. Of course, Obama is attempting to follow Bush's policies. Only with much less skill. And little success. But, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
manored

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;124092 wrote:

You will have to eat the egg anyway =)
kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:56 pm
@manored,
manored;124234 wrote:
You will have to eat the egg anyway =)

But maybe not two of them, I hope.
It is not so peculiar how much Europeans like Obama. They can afford to. They don't have to live here and put up with him.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 05:45 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;124200 wrote:
Bush prevented terrorist attacks on the United States after 9/11. He did it until he left office. It was only by luck that the terrorist attack on Christmas day was averted. No thanks to Obama. And, of course, Bush got rid of a dangerous tyrant in Iraq, was able to reverse throw Al-Quaeda out of Iraq. Of course, Obama is attempting to follow Bush's policies. Only with much less skill. And little success. But, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
His,Bushy baby, incompetent authority created 9/11 and his ill thought out attack on Iraq is still giving you problems. Al-Quaeda,an invention of Bush, are still there in Iraq, did you not know that?:perplexed: Dont put Bushy babies co.. ups on Obamas head , not just yet .
kennethamy

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 06:57 am
@xris,
xris;124312 wrote:
His,Bushy baby, incompetent authority created 9/11 and his ill thought out attack on Iraq is still giving you problems. Al-Quaeda,an invention of Bush, are still there in Iraq, did you not know that?:perplexed: Dont put Bushy babies co.. ups on Obamas head , not just yet .

Bush was in office for just 10 months before the 9/11 attack. I was Clinton who was in authority when something could have been done, and Clinton did nothing against the terrorists. He never even heard of Al Quaeda. And as for Obama, he still "extends his hand" to Arab militants who laugh at him. It was Bush who finally eliminated Al Quaeda, and who kept America safe for 7 years, until Barack took office, Then the terrorists understood that with Barack in office, it was safe to attack again.
Caroline

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 07:00 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;124321 wrote:
Bush was in office for just 10 months before the 9/11 attack. I was Clinton who was in authority when something could have been done, and Clinton did nothing against the terrorists. He never even heard of Al Quaeda. And as for Obama, he still "extends his hand" to Arab militants who laugh at him.

Clinton suggested better domestic security as he could see the risks but it fell on deaf ears due to the costs, apparently.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 07:19 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;124322 wrote:
Clinton suggested better domestic security as he could see the risks but it fell on deaf ears due to the costs, apparently.

Have you evidence of that? In any case, Clinton was in charge, and is to blame. "The buck stops here" (A placard on Harry Truman's desk) President Bush finally pushed back against terrorism. Clinton did nothing. And Barack? He extends his hand and has it cut off. As I said, since Europeans need not put up with Obama, they can afford to approve of him. Americans cannot. As charming as he must be to some. He is over his head.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 09:10 am
@kennethamy,
This thread is horrible. It's full of unsupported generalizations and drips with anger and condemnation. Regardless of the extent to which is the case, how about we try to get back on topic.

The OP asks about the Overeducated (and yea, I find that an odd term as well - just feels vaguely inflammatory or unjustifiably praising). Specific thoughts on some of the article's statements:

kennethamy;123466 wrote:
President Obama's popularity has slipped among a wide swath of the population. Among the nation's over-educated, however, he continues to do just fine.

I've been following multiple news sources closely and have (thus far, anyway) concluded that most of the poll-slipping is due to US Citizens desire that our problems be fixed now. We don't have much patience - which is certainly our right. In any case, as Obama was touted as the Savior of All (which was neither good for him nor our country), folks want to know "Where's the beef?", and they want everything fixed now! And of course... blame *must* be laid (yes, we are a nation of blame-layers).

It's such a farce; this whole notion that The President is the end-all-be-all damner and savior of all things that happen. Congress plays a HUGE part - folks seem to forget this. Take the economic collapse of late; market dynamics, spurious economic interests, over-speculation and poor credit management over millions of people caused this. But we must lay that "sin" (as if it was a single sin) on someone; we can't very well crucify the millions of players actually responsible, so we turn to politics and frown heartily. Ugh...

kennethamy;123466 wrote:
... Indeed, while Obama's standing has fallen among each of these four groups since taking office, it is the postgraduate bunch who has stayed most closely committed, even giving the president a slight uptick in approval ratings over the last month.

The findings feed into the stereotypical political narrative that those with an advanced education are decidedly liberal and that those who are decidedly liberal are committed to Democratic politicians.

This has a note of truth, though why that is - is immediately beyond my understanding. Yes, I'd say that from what I've seen its true: This stereotype exists - that those with higher educations are more "liberal". But both potential conclusions feel "false"; these being:

• Those that are more educated end up becoming more liberal "just cuz they're that good" - Doesn't pass the gut-check

• That there's a correlation between the "liberal mindset" and those who desire more education - Possibly, though I can't see how or why

Unfortunately, the point of the story (this stereotype) further perpetuates political polarization and plays to the "My Team!" mindset; bad, bad. There needs to come a time where party-affiliation is de-emphasized. I find it such a shame just how much party-loyalties hamstring our efforts to progress. [INDENT] ... it won't happen in my lifetime; I've accepted this as I believe it to be undeniable. But for what time I *do* have left, I'll milk every iota of cooperation I can come across for those shreds of hope that there IS something to be proud of here.
[/INDENT]Despite my condemnation of the tone this thread's taken, I'll offer Kenn kudos for bringing this up; the more we can delve into the reasons for such correlations (and even stereotypes), the more our understanding and awareness increases; perhaps that's enough to mitigated the sociological damage done by such dichotomies.

Thanks
kennethamy

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 09:32 am
@Khethil,
Khethil;124356 wrote:
T

I've been following multiple news sources closely and have (thus far, anyway) concluded that most of the poll-slipping is due to US Citizens desire that our problems be fixed now. We don't have much patience - which is certainly our right. In any case, as Obama was touted as the Savior of All (which was neither good for him nor our country), folks want to know "Where's the beef?", and they want everything fixed now! And of course... blame *must* be laid (yes, we are a nation of blame-layers).

My conclusion is somewhat different. It is not that people expect immediate satisfaction. It is that they expect that the problems not be greatly worsened by presidential policies, and that the president attend to what needs fixing and not divert his attention to what people do not think needs fixing (or at least needs fixing as much as the problems that do need fixing). The economy has gone down the drain. People are hurting for jobs and a place to live, and instead of addressing that, Obama thinks that health care is the only important thing. So, he proposes to add trillions to the deficit, while doing nothing much about jobs and housing. Again, people think that another important matter (as well as being the very first duty of the president) is to keep this country safe, and to destroy our enemies. And, they have very little confidence that Obama cares much about that (not to say the congress). So, when some say that Obama and his administrations are "out of step with the American people" that is exactly what they mean. It is not immediate satisfaction that people want. It is fixing the problems that need fixing, and not making the problems we have worse, is what they want. Is that too much to expect?

As I said in my starting post, being educated is one thing, and (generally) a good thing. But having judgment is also a good thing, and generally, an even more important thing. Lots of education, but not much judgment, is probably what is meant by being "over-educated".
Khethil

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 09:38 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;124362 wrote:
My conclusion is somewhat different. It is not that people expect immediate satisfaction. It is that they expect that the problems not be greatly worsened by presidential policies, and that the president attend to what needs fixing and not divert his attention to what people do not think needs fixing (or at least needs fixing as much as the problems that do need fixing).

I hear ya.

I disagree that we don't want immediate satisfaction; we do, and our expectations completely ignore just how much time and effort it WILL take to fix what's broken in our economy.

And I'd again present the idea that the President alone cannot fix all this; especially given the poison partisan- "My Team Only!"-mindset that pervades the halls of congress.

Thanks
kennethamy

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 09:50 am
@Khethil,
Khethil;124364 wrote:
I hear ya.

I disagree that we don't want immediate satisfaction; we do, and our expectations completely ignore just how much time and effort it WILL take to fix what's broken in our economy.

And I'd again present the idea that the President alone cannot fix all this; especially given the poison partisan- "My Team Only!"-mindset that pervades the halls of congress.

Thanks

I did not say that the president alone could do much. But he can certainly help to do a lot. And so far, he does not seem to be helping to do what needs doing, and, in fact, seems to be trying to make things worse, not better. As for wanting immediate satisfaction, I would wait for evidence of this, before I made a judgment.

Paul Krugman, who writes for the New York Times, advised Obams to go ahead "and do the right thing" which, as Krugman saw it was to ignore the wishes of the American people, and spend trillions on something no one not only thinks we need, but thinks might ruin what we do have, which is pretty good. (At least foreigners think so, since they flock to our hospitals and physicians, and leave theirs to the poor). Of course, someone like Paul Krugman is exactly what people mean by the over-educated. Lots of education, but entirely lacking in judgment. He, like most Liberals of his ilk, are absolutely sure that they know what the right thing to do is, and are not shy of letting others know about it.
0 Replies