Do you like Chinese?

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:37 pm
Hey, just asking Wink I'm not trying to be unfair here. I inherited a whole bunch of Chinese cookbooks from my mother-in-law, to add to the lofty tomes I already owned, but there are still some things that are a mystery to me. Razz
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:11 pm
Ling Ling: The US is a very different from China, but, like China, it is a place of very many differences. We have people here from all over the world who try hard to live together and learn from each other. Some times it is hard to do, but we keep trying. Your history is much older than ours and, like you, we like to tell the stories of our history. Some of these stories are about triumph and glory, the exploration of our West and our wonderful ability to make the machines of modern life and the great discoverys of our scientists. Some of the stories are not so pretty. They are the stories about the Native Americans, who were here before there was a US, and we tell about the time in our country when black people were kept as slaves. We learn from all these stories, at least some of us do. What makes the US, America, a wonderful place to live is we have the freedom to learn and change and also the freedom to be stubborn and stupid and thick in the head. Laughing We hope to keep it that way.
I hope you can come to the USA someday and see our giant mountains and deserts in the West and our beautiful, vast green fields of wheat and corn and cotton. We have so many beautiful cities it is hard for me to say which ones you should see, Washington DC for sure, but also Boston and Atlanta and Dallas and Chicago and St. Louis and Denver and Albuquerque and Los Angeles and San Francisco and Seattle. Whew! That's a lot. And there is so much to see that is not in the big cities, just like China. OH, I forgot my city...... New York. You must come to New York and meet with my wife and I. We will walk through a little bit of Central Park and then go shopping on Fifth Avenue. We'll go to the Museum of Art and see if they have any information on the Chinese Treasure Fleets of 1421. I just read about them. Very interesting. Then we'll go to a nice place for American food. Okay?

What else would like to know about?

Joe
0 Replies

RicardoTizon

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:25 pm
Hi Ling Ling,

How do I say "I Love you" in Chinese Mandarin.

By the way on my trip to Aruba (it is a small island in the Carribean 26 kilometers from Venezuela) I was surprised to find a Chinese community in such a small island. In the United States practically all major cities have a chinatown. Chinese people it seems are all over the world.

Speaking about U.S. history, you might find it interesting that many chinamen are the pioneers of building the railroad system going to the West.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 11:01 pm
I am admirer of some recent chinese paintings. There was a website called Artsmecca that had many photographs of work by current chinese painters from Shanghai and Beijing, for example. I spent one whole day looking through that site picking out favorites. There were painters from all over the world, but I noticed the chinese were predominant among my favorites. These were landscape paintings, not in the traditional style.

I would give you all the link, but, unfortunately, the site seems to have shut down as of about a year ago.
0 Replies

LINGLING

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 08:07 am
fealola wrote:
How old is Ling-Ling? whaddaya think she's the Julia Child of China??? :wink:

i am 20 years old Very Happy
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 02:36 pm
I always wanted to learn Chinese, but I don't think I'll have enough time in school. It sounds like a pretty neat language.
0 Replies

LINGLING

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 04:48 pm
rufio wrote:
I always wanted to learn Chinese, but I don't think I'll have enough time in school. It sounds like a pretty neat language.

Where are you from? I can teach you chinese if you like. Very Happy
I think i should inprove my English as well Razz
my e-mail:[email protected]
0 Replies

LINGLING

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 04:52 pm
Ricardo_Tizon wrote:
Hi Ling Ling,

How do I say "I Love you" in Chinese Mandarin.

By the way on my trip to Aruba (it is a small island in the Carribean 26 kilometers from Venezuela) I was surprised to find a Chinese community in such a small island. In the United States practically all major cities have a chinatown. Chinese people it seems are all over the world.

Speaking about U.S. history, you might find it interesting that many chinamen are the pioneers of building the railroad system going to the West.

我爱你
(its pronunciation is "wo ai ni")
0 Replies

LINGLING

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 05:11 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Ling Ling: The US is a very different from China, but, like China, it is a place of very many differences. We have people here from all over the world who try hard to live together and learn from each other. Some times it is hard to do, but we keep trying. Your history is much older than ours and, like you, we like to tell the stories of our history. Some of these stories are about triumph and glory, the exploration of our West and our wonderful ability to make the machines of modern life and the great discoverys of our scientists. Some of the stories are not so pretty. They are the stories about the Native Americans, who were here before there was a US, and we tell about the time in our country when black people were kept as slaves. We learn from all these stories, at least some of us do. What makes the US, America, a wonderful place to live is we have the freedom to learn and change and also the freedom to be stubborn and stupid and thick in the head. Laughing We hope to keep it that way.
I hope you can come to the USA someday and see our giant mountains and deserts in the West and our beautiful, vast green fields of wheat and corn and cotton. We have so many beautiful cities it is hard for me to say which ones you should see, Washington DC for sure, but also Boston and Atlanta and Dallas and Chicago and St. Louis and Denver and Albuquerque and Los Angeles and San Francisco and Seattle. Whew! That's a lot. And there is so much to see that is not in the big cities, just like China. OH, I forgot my city...... New York. You must come to New York and meet with my wife and I. We will walk through a little bit of Central Park and then go shopping on Fifth Avenue. We'll go to the Museum of Art and see if they have any information on the Chinese Treasure Fleets of 1421. I just read about them. Very interesting. Then we'll go to a nice place for American food. Okay?

What else would like to know about?

Joe

You are so friendly to me.
Thak you very much for you introduce your country, i am so happy to know this things you said.i am very intersted in USA.And i hope one day i can visit your city and meet your wife and you Razz
I really like shopping,i think shopping in New York is a great thing ,yes?
I like food as well Razz but i do not know the traditional food in USA,would you tell me some about it?

this is my e-mail :[email protected]. we can chat in MSN Very Happy
0 Replies