The Understated Effects of "Cash For Clunkers" and Other Government Idiocy

richrf

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 01:31 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;84528 wrote:

Ultimately that is what speculation is: informed gambling. You should, however, look up the law of large numbers and then apply that to the pricing mechanism of securities.

I will try to make this as simple as possible. The bankers took insured savings deposit and loaned it to anyone who would pay them a fee. That was our money that was loaned out not theirs. They would never give their personal money for such junk. That is the whole point.

They took their profits up front. They put those profits in Swiss Bank accounts (the Obama administration is not after these illegal accounts). The loans went sour (trillions of dollars worth), and the taxpayer was left to bail out other taxpayers in order to save the financial system, while the bankers gave themselves additional bonuses on top of their initial fees. The bankers were not speculating. They god all of their money upfront. It was a no brainer for them, as long as the government did not step in to stop those crazy loans being made with our money.

The free market system rewards first and foremost scam artists who can get away with it. This is something that free market people forget. People do not play fair. They play to win in any manner they can. They have to be watched when it is our money they are playing with.

Rich
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 01:53 pm
@richrf,
richrf;84539 wrote:
I will try to make this as simple as possible. The bankers took insured savings deposit and loaned it to anyone who would pay them a fee. That was our money that was loaned out not theirs. They would never give their personal money for such junk. That is the whole point.

They took their profits up front. They put those profits in Swiss Bank accounts (the Obama administration is not after these illegal accounts). The loans went sour (trillions of dollars worth), and the taxpayer was left to bail out other taxpayers in order to save the financial system, while the bankers gave themselves additional bonuses on top of their initial fees. The bankers were not speculating. They god all of their money upfront. It was a no brainer for them, as long as the government did not step in to stop those crazy loans being made with our money.

You are shifting the goalposts like crazy here.

What does this have to do with what we are talking about earlier?

How does a bank take its profit up front, yet loose the money they loaned out?

Quote:
The free market system rewards first and foremost scam artists who can get away with it. This is something that free market people forget. People do not play fair. They play to win in any manner they can. They have to be watched when it is our money they are playing with.

The state system rewards first and foremost scam artists who can get away with it. This is something that statists forget. People do not play fair. They play to win in any manner they can. They have to be watched when it is our money they are playing with.

The difference?

The state claims the ability to use guns to do what they do.
richrf

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 02:01 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;84546 wrote:
You are shifting the goalposts like crazy here.

What does this have to do with what we are talking about earlier?

How does a bank take its profit up front, yet loose the money they loaned out?

Apparently you do not have much experience with working on Wall Street or the financial industry, because it is all extremely straightforward. You just have to follow the money. The bank or financial institution takes our money, leverages it, loans it out, gets the fees upfront, and then pays its top employees billions of dollars in salaries and bonuses. That money is out the door. It is in the hands of the top 1% of the population who earned a gigantic amount of wealth over the last 10 years.

This is how the free market works, in reality, not in some textbook. The management and top employees don't give a heck what happens to the bank or to the loans, or anything else. They are just raking it in. They pocket the money as much as they can as fast as they can. If you do not understand this concept, then you will never be able to understand the scam of the last 10 years. It is fundamental to the way the free market system works.

Then the bank goes under because it does not have enough capital to cover the losses on the bad loans, and the taxpayer and saver has to bail out the institution.

This is pretty straightforward stuff. If you are not familiar with the workings of Wall Street, there are many good books on the subject of how the bankers scammed the public with the assist of the Bush administration.

All of the financial instruments whether it was the issuance of CDS, home and commercial loans, other derivatives, were based upon the same principle. Just loan out as much money as fast as possible, get the upfront fees, and pocket it. What is left is rubble and bankruptcy.

If you want to follow the money, just go straight to the Swiss banks, and write to your Congressman to get that money back.

Rich
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 02:52 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
They not only get the upfront fees, but they get a TON of interest from late loan payments.

That is why college loans, credit cards, and subprime mortgages are such a cash cow -- because you're banking on high risk people making late payments at 10% or 15% interest.

The S&P 500 only gives around an 8% return in its good years, bonds and savings accounts give 1 or 2%. It's in the banks' interest to make risky loans because the return is so good. People who charge near their credit limit are a goldmine for credit card companies. College students generally take a long time to earn enough to pay back their loans, so the rate of return is high. Etc.
richrf

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:33 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;84558 wrote:
They not only get the upfront fees, but they get a TON of interest from late loan payments.

That is why college loans, credit cards, and subprime mortgages are such a cash cow -- because you're banking on high risk people making late payments at 10% or 15% interest.

The S&P 500 only gives around an 8% return in its good years, bonds and savings accounts give 1 or 2%. It's in the banks' interest to make risky loans because the return is so good. People who charge near their credit limit are a goldmine for credit card companies. College students generally take a long time to earn enough to pay back their loans, so the rate of return is high. Etc.

Yes, I agree. At this time the banks are getting my money and government money at 1% while they are charging exorbitant rates to their customers in order to dig themselves out of the whole that they dug by loaning out all of the money that they knew in all likelihood would never get paid back.

Rich
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:11 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Look, there is no point in arguing about the greed of banks and how they use their position to squeeze money out of lower level investors. I have on several occasions on this forum stated that I think the current banking structure centralizes wealth and represents an economic and moral hazard. I have also stated my preference for localized community banking that would disrupt these resource flows place more economic power within localized markets.

There is also no point arguing that this is just "how the free market works". I can continuously point to all of the ways in which every economy in the world is fundamentally skewed away from free market processes.

If you want to argue this, you must use economic logic, simple logic that cannot be argued with. I will be convinced by a sound rational argument, but acting as if anecdotal evidence about a market that is about 50% controlled by the largest state in history is going to do little.

The central question is whether the way in which the government manages the economy improves things. The debate about CDSs is not about whether bankers and financial institutions exploit their way to high profits and fleece those in lesser economic positions. That is assumed by both sides. The debate is about whether a CDS is a fundamentally dangerous security, or whether the CDS market is a symptom of a greater fundamentally messed up system that is made and exascerbated by the government.
Aedes

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 11:20 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;84701 wrote:
I will be convinced by a sound rational argument... The central question is whether the way in which the government manages the economy improves things.
Well, you're asking a couple questions here -- the question of 1) does OUR central goverment regulate well or poorly or both is manifestly different than the generic question of 2) is regulation "good" or "bad" in a large economy.

For the first question, all we've got is hindsight and historical controls. And the second question is too generic to be useful.
richrf

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 11:34 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;84701 wrote:
There is also no point arguing that this is just "how the free market works". I can continuously point to all of the ways in which every economy in the world is fundamentally skewed away from free market processes.

The reason that economics has skewed away from the free market, is precisely because what has been learned over history concerning the free market. Lack of regulation and watch dogs, allows bankers and financiers to literally steal our money. Laws, regulation, and oversight are essential in order to preserve the savings of people.

Regulations is a direct result of what happens when the markets are free to do whatever they want including absconding with people's life savings.

Rich
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 01:28 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
It's not hard to look at unregulated economies, by the way, and see how they functioned. They just did a couple segments on economics in the Middle Ages on NPR's Planet Money, if you're interested in seeing what an unregulated economy looks like.
richrf

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 02:11 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;84754 wrote:
It's not hard to look at unregulated economies, by the way, and see how they functioned. They just did a couple segments on economics in the Middle Ages on NPR's Planet Money, if you're interested in seeing what an unregulated economy looks like.

Hi Paul,

The reason is simple enough. Financial institutions are based upon accepting money and lending money. It is extremely risky to give money to an unregulated institution. But ever with some regulation, there were run on banks all the time because of poor lending practices, which culminated in the banking reforms after the Great Depression.

Rich
Rich
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 02:47 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Rich, I was speaking more to Mr FTP's bias towards deregulatory policy. The majority of human economic history took place in unregulated economies, and it's no coincidence that economic growth happened at a snail's pace under such systems. I mean you can't have fast growth without credit -- and you can't have credit if you don't have safe lending institutions; and you can't have safe lending institutions without regulation.
richrf

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 05:03 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;84768 wrote:
Rich, I was speaking more to Mr FTP's bias towards deregulatory policy. The majority of human economic history took place in unregulated economies, and it's no coincidence that economic growth happened at a snail's pace under such systems. I mean you can't have fast growth without credit -- and you can't have credit if you don't have safe lending institutions; and you can't have safe lending institutions without regulation.

Totally agree Paul. The two function together. This is a matter of history and call it economic evolution.

Rich
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 12:11 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;84728 wrote:
Well, you're asking a couple questions here -- the question of 1) does OUR central goverment regulate well or poorly or both is manifestly different than the generic question of 2) is regulation "good" or "bad" in a large economy.

For the first question, all we've got is hindsight and historical controls. And the second question is too generic to be useful.

Not at all, there are rational economic laws that can be used to at least estimate what effects regulation, in general, has on the economy.

This is the problem, you completely ignore that economics is a system of a priori knowledge.

---------- Post added 08-22-2009 at 02:12 PM ----------

richrf;84734 wrote:
The reason that economics has skewed away from the free market, is precisely because what has been learned over history concerning the free market. Lack of regulation and watch dogs, allows bankers and financiers to literally steal our money. Laws, regulation, and oversight are essential in order to preserve the savings of people.

Regulations is a direct result of what happens when the markets are free to do whatever they want including absconding with people's life savings.

Rich

I reject all of this. I have absolutely know reason to believe you.

---------- Post added 08-22-2009 at 02:17 PM ----------

Aedes;84754 wrote:

I would be interested in hearing it if you could link me to it.

---------- Post added 08-22-2009 at 02:19 PM ----------

richrf;84761 wrote:
Hi Paul,

The reason is simple enough. Financial institutions are based upon accepting money and lending money. It is extremely risky to give money to an unregulated institution. But ever with some regulation, there were run on banks all the time because of poor lending practices, which culminated in the banking reforms after the Great Depression.

Rich
Rich

I like this insinuation that there is no choice in what sort of risk one decides to take.

In this day and age, if you put any large sum of money into any investment without understanding what the risks of it is, then you are a fool.

Do you realize that if you placed any other market in the place of financial markets just how silly your argument would be?

---------- Post added 08-22-2009 at 02:21 PM ----------

Aedes;84768 wrote:

Why can you not have safe lending institutions without regulation, and how does regulation insure safe lending institutions?
Aedes

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 12:46 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;84971 wrote:
Not at all, there are rational economic laws that can be used to at least estimate what effects regulation, in general, has on the economy.
No one cares about estimates and rationality once the rubber hits the road. It's the results and not the general principles that matter.

you completely ignore that economics is a system of a priori knowledge.
I altogether reject the proposition of a priori knowledge, especially as pertains to an applied science like economics. So there :cool:

Economics is a data-based science. It would never exist as a system of thought without market and monetary systems first having come into being. And it is therefore in no way, shape, or form a "system of a priori knowledge" (and neither is anything else except perhaps primordial human instincts).

I would be interested in hearing it if you could link me to it.
Go to NPR podcasts through iTunes and look for the show Planet Money.

Why can you not have safe lending institutions without regulation
A bank needs to borrow money (i.e. when you put money into an account) and lend money. Banks make their money by making loans at an interest rate higher than what they pay for people who have accounts with them. In order for banks to be able to ensure the safety of your money, they are forced to keep capital on hand (so that their balance sheet is even at the end of each day). When they don't do that, or if they cannot do that, then they cannot pay their creditors (the account holders) and you are at risk of losing your money when you put it in an account. All it takes is a few loan defaults and a bank without capital will give you nothing when you try and get cash from the ATM.

How does it keep it safe? It keeps financial institutions from putting the savings of account holders at risk. And by doing so, it prevents banks from collapsing as they did in the 1930s. By preventing banks from collapsing, you can have credit. By providing credit, you can have economic expansion and growth, which are impossible without credit.

The entire global economy is dependent on the flow of credit now. After Lehman collapsed, the commercial paper market (i.e. short term capital loans) completely froze, so companies all of a sudden couldn't get money to buy a truck or to make a shipment or whatever. It's that quick, that big, and that dangerous.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:07 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;84986 wrote:
No one cares about estimates and rationality once the rubber hits the road. It's the results and not the general principles that matter.

So then we engage in blind trial and error, praying that we improve the situation?

Quote:
I altogether reject the proposition of a priori knowledge, especially as pertains to an applied science like economics. So there :cool:

Do you not agree that we are forced to understand ourselves as reasonable actors? Do you not agree that our choices are a manifestation of our values?

Quote:
Economics is a data-based science. It would never exist as a system of thought without market and monetary systems first having come into being. And it is therefore in no way, shape, or form a "system of a priori knowledge" (and neither is anything else except perhaps primordial human instincts).

Economics could not exist without certain fundamental assumptions that no amount of economic data can supply us with.

Economics is basically the study of human action, and human action is rooted in a phenomenology that is totally unknowable a posteriori.

Quote:
A bank needs to borrow money (i.e. when you put money into an account) and lend money. Banks make their money by making loans at an interest rate higher than what they pay for people who have accounts with them. In order for banks to be able to ensure the safety of your money, they are forced to keep capital on hand (so that their balance sheet is even at the end of each day). When they don't do that, or if they cannot do that, then they cannot pay their creditors (the account holders) and you are at risk of losing your money when you put it in an account. All it takes is a few loan defaults and a bank without capital will give you nothing when you try and get cash from the ATM.

Not applicable at all. A trusted lender can lend out 10 times the resources it has on hand and still be far less risky than an untrusted lender that lends out 1/10th.

Expectations of future lending revenue is regulation enough to keep lenders in check.

Quote:
How does it keep it safe? It keeps financial institutions from putting the savings of account holders at risk. And by doing so, it prevents banks from collapsing as they did in the 1930s. By preventing banks from collapsing, you can have credit. By providing credit, you can have economic expansion and growth, which are impossible without credit.

The entire global economy is dependent on the flow of credit now. After Lehman collapsed, the commercial paper market (i.e. short term capital loans) completely froze, so companies all of a sudden couldn't get money to buy a truck or to make a shipment or whatever. It's that quick, that big, and that dangerous.

There is no argument here.
richrf

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:30 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;85169 wrote:
Expectations of future lending revenue is regulation enough to keep lenders in check.

Securitization
created a complete disconnect between lenders risk and lenders income. Lenders made billions up front. They had no care about future lending revenue - of which was there was little expected considering the conditions of the loans and the people that were borrowing. The Economist has a great article on the whole "free market scam" about a year ago. As they indicated, the whole debacle was quite predictable.
Rich
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 07:43 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
So then we engage in blind trial and error, praying that we improve the situation?
Not at all -- only people who think they can figure out the world without looking at it would think so. All reason can do is generate a hypothesis -- beyond that it's blind trial and error until you test it against data. We happen to have a lot of data about prior financial catastrophes.

Do you not agree that we are forced to understand ourselves as reasonable actors? Do you not agree that our choices are a manifestation of our values?
This is subordinate to the fact that no system of human knowledge has ever come into being without there first being empirical experience. EVER. We sense and experience before we're even born. We count on our fingers to learn numbers. We imitate sounds to learn language. There is no such thing as a priori knowledge -- it is idealistic and unsupportable, and it is a good example why Kant might have been well served to get out of his house and actually meet someone in his life.

Economics could not exist without certain fundamental assumptions that no amount of economic data can supply us with.
Nor could it exist without economies.

Right, so how did that end up working out for Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac?
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:30 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;85227 wrote:
This is subordinate to the fact that no system of human knowledge has ever come into being without there first being empirical experience. EVER. We sense and experience before we're even born. We count on our fingers to learn numbers. We imitate sounds to learn language. There is no such thing as a priori knowledge -- it is idealistic and unsupportable, and it is a good example why Kant might have been well served to get out of his house and actually meet someone in his life.

The mental functions that provide us with reason preexist yours and my existence by tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of years. We are born with intrinsic understandings of ourselves and our world that cannot be strengthened, weakened, or overturned by any empiric data.

At no point can we cease the endless reduction and circularity of our knowledge, especially our empiric knowledge, without relying on categoric, evolutionary-endowed, rigid understandings within the human mind.

Quote:
Nor could it exist without economies.

So?

Quote:
Right, so how did that end up working out for Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac?

At what point did Fanny and Freddy ever need to fear for their future earnings? They were subsidized at every point for taking on horrible lending policies. The worst their lending standards were, the more the government guaranteed their income.
Aedes

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:35 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;85253 wrote:
The mental functions that provide us with reason preexist yours and my existence by tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of years.
This gives us capacity. It does not give us understanding.

So?
Economics is the study of economies. To credit it as being some evolutionarily derived program in the human mind makes no sense.

At what point did Fanny and Freddy ever need to fear for their future earnings? They were subsidized at every point for taking on horrible lending policies. The worst their lending standards were, the more the government guaranteed their income.
Is that also true of Bear Sterns?
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:57 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;85254 wrote:
This gives us capacity. It does not give us understanding.

Why could it not give us both?

Quote:
Economics is the study of economies. To credit it as being some evolutionarily derived program in the human mind makes no sense.

Economics is the study of human behavior, and it makes sense to me to say that we can understand certain constants of human behavior without ever observing human behavior.

Quote:
Is that also true of Bear Sterns?

In a manner.

The problem is that our entire system of credit is based in monopoly.

These first users of money are the conduit through which government issues currency. Because government will continue to go through them, they can be fairly sure that borrowers will be forced to come to them.

This is the problem: People associate the problems of monopoly with problems of deregulation. While it is true that certain institutions act with disregard, it is because the natural regulation of market forces are undermined by government control of the flow of money.

The economy is a complex, organistic, balanced system like an ecosystem, and like an ecosystem, any attempts at regulating it will simply push it further out of balance.

Balance is not something that can be forced from the outside.