The Understated Effects of "Cash For Clunkers" and Other Government Idiocy

richrf

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 11:05 am
@TheSingingSword,
TheSingingSword;82308 wrote:
I'm not ideologically tied to the results of this debate, but I'll gladly play Devil's advocate. How do you explain the 1921 depression, which was basically handled by Commerce Secretary Hoover? A massive depression was turned around in 22 months with a largely hands-off policy, and led directly into the Roaring '20's. The 1929 depression, on the other hand, lasted until WW2 began, under the massive GOV intervention of Roosevelt.

The 1921 recession was essentially the same as the 2000. A precursor to the big blow off.

The point is, that there are people who will do anything to get money and they tend to rise to the top of corporations, because they promise the most money to investors. Madoff is a prime example.

If they were playing with their own money, so be it. But they are playing with other people's money. The are leveraging balance sheets to the hilt in order to make as much money as fast as they can - and the Board of Directors who are suppose to watch out for shareholders are of the same ilk. The FDIC and Federal Reserve, which was suppose to watch out for money in savings accounts, was no where to be found. Everyone was pocketing money as long as they could - just like Madoff. And when the lid blew, the people who made tons of money (billions upon billions) were allowed to go scott free, while the savers were forced to bail out the borrowers in order to save the economy from a run on banks and a complete economic collapse such as there was in 1929.

After Lehman, this country and the world was on the edge of economic calamity. Had AIG gone under, and all of the CDS that they were involved with gone under with it, it would have been a maga-catastrophe worse than the Great Depression. I would rather not go there again. My interest rates on my savings are a 1% right now. I'm paying for the disaster caused by the bankers and other Free Market advocates who made out like champs. Do you think any one of them is suffering?

Rich
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 11:49 am
@richrf,
richrf;82293 wrote:
I don't know where you have been, but we had an enormous amount of default and loss of money. Had the banks failed, then every single saver would have loss all of their money just like they use to do before FDIC, and there would have been a run on the banks and we would have spiraled into a situation worse than the Great Depression.

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

We owe that to posterity.

Quote:
The glorified Free Market worked just as it does. The rich get richer. They buy power and protection. They scam the public and then they put their riches in Swiss Bank accounts. This is the free market. You are just dreaming about some idealized world where free market capitalists don't scam the public and have some ethical code. It doesn't exist. Never did.

Rich

Welcome to the land of a 1000 vapid platitudes.

Argue posters!

It pains me to repeat arguments in the face of strings of statements that are not only unsupported but are also often conflicting.

---------- Post added 08-10-2009 at 01:56 PM ----------

Didymos Thomas;82304 wrote:
No doubt, I agree. However, those people having a decent job is better than them having no employment, insurance, healthcare, ect.

[QUOTE]Again, I agree. But we must also remember that letting such a company fail will not eliminate that wealthy elite, not even the wealthy elite who run said company. Allowing such a company to fail will not cause serious harm to the elite of the company, but it would cause serious harm to the working class of that company.

Man, I don't like the situation, but we cannot ignore that what is, is.

I find it very hard to believe that a collapse of the current financial system will hurt me, with a marketable craft but little in the way of capital, as bad as it will hurt the vast majority of corporate leeches. Their entire way of life is based in exploiting the movement of monopolied money.

Ultimately, it is about setting the precedent of opposing such elite empowering actions of the government even if it results in discomfort. Eventually it will lead to a better tomorrow.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 08:38 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
I was not talking about you, I was talking about the employees of General Motors... unless, of course, you happen to be employed by General Motors.

Let us say the company is allowed to fail: the wealthy elite of that company remain millionaires, with vast assets. The rest of the company's employees go home, now without a monthly pay check, without benefits. While the elite go home to luxury and security, the rest of the employees are stripped of their livelihoods. How many of them, do you imagine, live paycheck to paycheck? And how long will they be able to keep a roof over the heads and food on their table in an economy with unemployment rising and approaching 10%? The outlook is bleak to say the least.
richrf

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 11:41 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;82351 wrote:

It pains me to repeat arguments in the face of strings of statements that are not only unsupported but are also often conflicting.

Unsupported?? We have one of the greatest economic calamities of all time, and your answer is ... let's have an encore!

Rich
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 01:03 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
I really wish people would stop saying free market caused this problem because it is the FED's artificial setting interest rates low is NOT FREE MARKET. It is government interfering with prices. If the government would let interest rates free float we wouldn't have this current economy.

so please STOP saying free market caused this. Educate yourself because it's annoying to have to keep pointing this out.
richrf

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 06:54 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;82695 wrote:
I really wish people would stop saying free market caused this problem because it is the FED's artificial setting interest rates low is NOT FREE MARKET. It is government interfering with prices. If the government would let interest rates free float we wouldn't have this current economy.

so please STOP saying free market caused this. Educate yourself because it's annoying to have to keep pointing this out.

You miss my point entirely. The control of the Federal bureaucracy as well as corrupt business dealings is a direct result of free market polices of the last 20 years. This is what happens in real life - outside of books and classrooms. The experiment was tried and again it led to a Great Depression (Recession). Should we go for it a third time? I say observe and learn. Free market is a code name for the rich getting richer by allowing them to scam freely.

Rich
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 07:22 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;82695 wrote:
I really wish people would stop saying free market caused this problem because it is the FED's artificial setting interest rates low is NOT FREE MARKET. It is government interfering with prices.... Educate yourself because it's annoying to have to keep pointing this out.

This post and others have never once mentioned the most important consequence of low Fed interest rates in the crisis, which is NOT that it in itself encouraged borrowing by prospective homeowners. The major consequence is it shifted the focus of foreign investment. (See "The Giant Pool of Money" podcast by the Planet Money team at NPR). It happens that the total world GDP and the reserves in the global treasuries has been increasing astronomically in the last decade, and THIS was the prime mover behind the crisis.

Because US Federal interest rates have been very low, and because growth in developing economies has been astronomical, treasurers in especially China have been looking for a lucrative investment other than US treasury bonds. Because securitized mortgages would give a 7-8% return (even with a ~5% default rate), foreign investment (via investment banks) is what really fueled the sub-prime crisis. It was SO lucrative for foreign treasuries and for investment banks that it greatly incentivized them to make high risk mortgages.

Is this a "free market" phenomenon? Who cares. It's a global phenomenon. Economic growth and technological development are nigh impossible without credit markets, credit markets require institutionalization of assets and debt, economies require relationships between such institutions, and economies require regulation.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 10:28 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;82674 wrote:
I was not talking about you, I was talking about the employees of General Motors... unless, of course, you happen to be employed by General Motors.

Let us say the company is allowed to fail: the wealthy elite of that company remain millionaires, with vast assets. The rest of the company's employees go home, now without a monthly pay check, without benefits. While the elite go home to luxury and security, the rest of the employees are stripped of their livelihoods. How many of them, do you imagine, live paycheck to paycheck? And how long will they be able to keep a roof over the heads and food on their table in an economy with unemployment rising and approaching 10%? The outlook is bleak to say the least.

Taken to the other end, we have a bleak outlook as well (think Brave New World). At what point do we stop subjugating the working class because the elite are so important?

---------- Post added 08-12-2009 at 12:31 PM ----------

richrf;82690 wrote:
Unsupported?? We have one of the greatest economic calamities of all time, and your answer is ... let's have an encore!

Rich

Listen well:

I do not need a description of what I see plainly before my eyes, I need an explanation of why I see this plainly. Otherwise there can be no argument as we both agree that there has been an economic disaster and something is to blame for it.

Right now you are the flat-earther repeatedly saying "Can't you see the horizon appears to be flat?!"

---------- Post added 08-12-2009 at 12:34 PM ----------

Aedes;82752 wrote:
This post and others have never once mentioned the most important consequence of low Fed interest rates in the crisis, which is NOT that it in itself encouraged borrowing by prospective homeowners. The major consequence is it shifted the focus of foreign investment. (See "The Giant Pool of Money" podcast by the Planet Money team at NPR). It happens that the total world GDP and the reserves in the global treasuries has been increasing astronomically in the last decade, and THIS was the prime mover behind the crisis.

Because US Federal interest rates have been very low, and because growth in developing economies has been astronomical, treasurers in especially China have been looking for a lucrative investment other than US treasury bonds. Because securitized mortgages would give a 7-8% return (even with a ~5% default rate), foreign investment (via investment banks) is what really fueled the sub-prime crisis. It was SO lucrative for foreign treasuries and for investment banks that it greatly incentivized them to make high risk mortgages.

Is this a "free market" phenomenon? Who cares. It's a global phenomenon. Economic growth and technological development are nigh impossible without credit markets, credit markets require institutionalization of assets and debt, economies require relationships between such institutions, and economies require regulation.

The word is arbitrage. The free market destroys arbitrage unless it is propagated by the government. In our situation, arbitrage was maintained so long by the government that vast amounts of resources were devoted to investments and capital that weren't nearly as valuable as they were priced.

---------- Post added 08-12-2009 at 12:47 PM ----------

richrf;82747 wrote:
You miss my point entirely. The control of the Federal bureaucracy as well as corrupt business dealings is a direct result of free market polices of the last 20 years. This is what happens in real life - outside of books and classrooms. The experiment was tried and again it led to a Great Depression (Recession). Should we go for it a third time? I say observe and learn. Free market is a code name for the rich getting richer by allowing them to scam freely.

Rich

So keeping the government out of economic matters is code name for the rich using government in economic matters?
richrf

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 11:04 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;82788 wrote:
So keeping the government out of economic matters is code name for the rich using government in economic matters?

The reason government got involved was because there were run on banks throughout history, up to and including the Great Depression. It is a calamity when it happens since banks are leveraged over 40:1 (this time around), which means 98% of all savings are lost by savers. The bankers keep the money they have (though in past history some were caught up with by mobs and dealt with), but ultimately an economy is devastated for a generation or more.

Had AIG defaulted on all of the credit default swaps (CDS) that it was a co-party, which amounted to trillions of dollars, then the world economy would have gone under. The banks would have gone under because their assets would be worthless and could not pay off their savers. All of these financial instruments were totally concocted by financial experts who had one and one thing only on their minds - and that was to make a quick buck. The same people who put these CDS instruments together were the ones who drove companies into bankruptcy with naked short selling.

All of this was the free market at work. The government did nothing as trillions of dollars of savings was put at risk. What risk? Building trillions of dollars worth of residential and commercial real estate that either people couldn't afford or didn't need. What should have happened was that the government should have stepped in and stopped it! Stop the run on the bank. They finally did when Lehman went under and they suddenly realized that the whole financial structure of the world economy was at risk if AIG also went under. BTW, all that money that went to AIG ended up in the hands of Goldman, Morgan Stanley, and JP Morgan Chase, so that they would remain solvent.

Rich
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 12:14 pm
@richrf,
Mr. Fight the Power;82788 wrote:
Taken to the other end, we have a bleak outlook as well (think Brave New World). At what point do we stop subjugating the working class because the elite are so important?

Immediately - except, instead of reform that starves the working class such that they would prefer subjugation, we reform the system in such a way that elevates the working class. For example, reverse the Supreme Court decisions that grant corporations personhood. That would be a nice start. Putting the working class out of work, on the streets, without livelihood is nowhere to begin positive reform.
[/COLOR] [/COLOR]
Aedes

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 12:18 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
That's exactly my understanding of it as well.

With the additional caveat that as new instruments like the CDS and the mortgage-backed security come into being, it becomes nearly impossible for even regulators (let alone individuals) to understand risk anymore. Turns out the risk was FAR higher than people recognized until Lehman collapsed.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 03:02 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;82809 wrote:
Immediately - except, instead of reform that starves the working class such that they would prefer subjugation, we reform the system in such a way that elevates the working class. For example, reverse the Supreme Court decisions that grant corporations personhood. That would be a nice start. Putting the working class out of work, on the streets, without livelihood is nowhere to begin positive reform.

I can agree with you on this, but you have to realize that modern corporations and major industries are so drastically leveraged because of the actions of the central government, be it tacit or even explicit guarantees, subsidies, or interest rates, that the shocks of the necessary changes would likely topple the economy in the first place.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 03:03 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;82811 wrote:
That's exactly my understanding of it as well.

With the additional caveat that as new instruments like the CDS and the mortgage-backed security come into being, it becomes nearly impossible for even regulators (let alone individuals) to understand risk anymore. Turns out the risk was FAR higher than people recognized until Lehman collapsed.

Hi Paul,

Several books and many papers were written concerning the untenable amount of leverage and the risk exposure associated with the CDS financial instruments, which as you said are almost impossible to measure, because there is no central clearing house.

I do not think most people realize that for all intents and purposes the banking institutions were bankrupt and all savings were exposed to complete loss (the FDIC has just a small percentage of monies needed to cover the total losses). It was scary for a few weeks. It still is, but the CDS market is beginning to clear and the administration is looking at regulating the whole mess.

Rich
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 03:13 pm
@richrf,
richrf;82803 wrote:
All of this was the free market at work. The government did nothing as trillions of dollars of savings was put at risk. What risk? Building trillions of dollars worth of residential and commercial real estate that either people couldn't afford or didn't need. What should have happened was that the government should have stepped in and stopped it! Stop the run on the bank. They finally did when Lehman went under and they suddenly realized that the whole financial structure of the world economy was at risk if AIG also went under. BTW, all that money that went to AIG ended up in the hands of Goldman, Morgan Stanley, and JP Morgan Chase, so that they would remain solvent.

Rich

Did nothing?! Absolute nonsense!

The government was a huge proponent of all of this. Since the thirties, the government has gone radical Keynesian in its desire to encourage spending and discourage saving. It has continuously encouraged lenders to provide credit to low income and bad credit home buyers. It constructed the FDIC to guarantee banks, and then allowed them to pursue outrageous fractional reserve lending practices.

It is insanity to act as if taking the majority of private risk and socializing it while allowing for full return of private profit is a free market tactic.

You might as well give a room full of strangers complete legal immunity and a suitcase full of 100 dollar bills and call the resulting behavior natural human interaction.

Ugh.
richrf

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 03:35 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;82840 wrote:
Did nothing?! Absolute nonsense!

Ugh.

During the Bush administration government oversight was completely neutered. There was zero intervention. The Madoff scandal was first broken in 2001 by Barrons and there were many articles after that.

Madoff

The SEC did absolutely nothing about it! That is $60 billion in that scam alone. Now, when you consider all the loans that the banks were making to speculators and penniless citizens, who had no money down, no money skin in the game, you can add a few trillion to that.

Everyone know that government oversight could have stopped it, but they refused to step in. Their buddies were making too much money.

Some may call it complete stupidity. But I am much more cynical than that. I prefer to think that wolves got their man into office, and then went wild while the man was vacationing in the ranch. It was fun for them while it lasted - for them.

Rich
TheSingingSword

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 04:53 pm
@richrf,
richrf;82845 wrote:
During the Bush administration government oversight was completely neutered. There was zero intervention. The Madoff scandal was first broken in 2001 by Barrons and there were many articles after that.

Madoff

The SEC did absolutely nothing about it! That is $60 billion in that scam alone. Now, when you consider all the loans that the banks were making to speculators and penniless citizens, who had no money down, no money skin in the game, you can add a few trillion to that.

Everyone know that government oversight could have stopped it, but they refused to step in. Their buddies were making too much money.

Some may call it complete stupidity. But I am much more cynical than that. I prefer to think that wolves got their man into office, and then went wild while the man was vacationing in the ranch. It was fun for them while it lasted - for them.

Rich

Rich, you have avoided the point this entire thread, and that is that this was not a free market. Period. A free market eschews regulations, yes, but it also refuses government assistance. What we have seen here was a combination of Leftist loaning practices mixed with aiding and abetting gross misconduct on the right. A free market proponent would not allow either. Whatever we believe the answer is, we have to be intellectually honest enough to admit that this wasn't even remotely a free market. You need to stop using that "buzz" word. It's every bit as awful as labeling the Democrats "socialists".
richrf

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 05:06 pm
@TheSingingSword,
TheSingingSword;82856 wrote:
Rich, you have avoided the point this entire thread, and that is that this was not a free market. Period.

You miss my point entirely. What we have in the U.S. is what happens when rich people control the government. They put people in government that ignore all of their shenanigans, so that they can make out like a bandit. We are observing the actual, real life, non-theoretical result of free market capitalism. They capitalist steal you blind. They have been doing this for as long as the concept has been around. The only way to avoid it is to have no government to control.

We had a free wheeling, capitalist system for since the 1980s when all rules were rolled back by Republican legislatures and the Supreme Court. Rather than discuss some idealized economic system, just observe what really happens ... Real life, human nature and how it works. It isn't pretty. Theives, scam artists, and unethical characters of sorts get into top level, legitimate jobs and ...

Without government intervention, without someone watching out for the money in the banks, the CEOs took every oonce of money they can and put it in their pockets. They ran our whole manufacturing industry into the ground as they pillaged everything that was once there. They don't care one darn about the health of a company, the welfare of their employees, or even their mothers. They are people who love money and cannot get enough of it. They did it in the 1920s under the Hoover Republican administration, and they just did it again under the Bush Republican administration. Free market advocates are just sheep being led to slaughter.

Rich
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 06:17 pm
@richrf,
richrf;82845 wrote:

Madoff

Rich

So how does increased regulation help?

Would this not just increase the problem, with the wealthy simply using this circumventing this regulation while lesser players get chewed up by it?

As far as I'm concerned, if a system fails, you don't put more faith in it working. You scale it back or cut it out altogether.
richrf

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 06:31 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;82874 wrote:
So how does increased regulation help?

Would this not just increase the problem, with the wealthy simply using this circumventing this regulation while lesser players get chewed up by it?

As far as I'm concerned, if a system fails, you don't put more faith in it working. You scale it back or cut it out altogether.

We had appropriate regulation of banks and financial institutions from the 1930s to the 1990s. This kept our economy on steady footing for 70 years. The keystone was the Glass-Steagall Act.

Glass-Steagall Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1999 the Republicans, spearheaded by Phil Gramm, successfully repealed the act, making way for all of the shenanigans which ultimately culminated in the Great Recession of 2008. Basically, financial institutions formed all sorts of off-balance sheet conduits which they leveraged to the hilt (some 80:1). They made loans without any down payments. Created a whole unregulated derivatives market, etc., etc. etc. It was the culmination of free market scoundral markets.

Rich

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 10:33 am
@richrf,
richrf;82877 wrote:
We had appropriate regulation of banks and financial institutions from the 1930s to the 1990s. This kept our economy on steady footing for 70 years. The keystone was the Glass-Steagall Act.

Glass-Steagall Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1999 the Republicans, spearheaded by Phil Gramm, successfully repealed the act, making way for all of the shenanigans which ultimately culminated in the Great Recession of 2008. Basically, financial institutions formed all sorts of off-balance sheet conduits which they leveraged to the hilt (some 80:1). They made loans without any down payments. Created a whole unregulated derivatives market, etc., etc. etc. It was the culmination of free market scoundral markets.

Rich

Funny you should bring that up, since those banks that took advantage of the lessened restrictions turned out to be in stronger position as the crisis deepened. They generally helped keep financial markets afloat as the investment banks who didn't get into depository activities as they were permitted by the Gramm bill permitted.

What's more is that you have brought up the act that has systematically conditioned bank managers and investors to completely discount the risk on invested money. It was a ludicrous bill that simultaneously outlawed certain investments for being too risky, while offering up government insurance for another. It was no coincidence that it was engineered by the Rockefeller's as an attack on its rival Morgan.

The Morgan financial empire got the last laugh though.