Tea Party Favorites in U.S. Senate Races

Advocate

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 03:17 pm
I was amazed to see that Conway has caught up with Rand Paul in Kentucky. The last time I looked, the latter was running away with the election. Could the people in KY come to their senses?

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/09/26/democrat-jack-conway-catches-up-with-rand-paul-in-kentucky-senat/
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 07:03 am
It is interesting that one candidate should surface during a time when joblessness is an issue. christine o'donnell has not held a job since 2004. If she is too lazy to work, what sort of Senator would she be?
georgeob1

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 11:56 am
@plainoldme,
Do you believe that laziness is a significant cause of unemployment?

In any event, considering the generally harmful quality of the legislation that has emerged from our Congress over the past six years and the particularly hostile attitude of the current administration to the businesses and entrepreneurs who create the jobs we lack, I believe that less activity on the parts of Senators and Congressmen would benefit us all.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 12:18 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Do you believe that laziness is a significant cause of unemployment?
of course, that's why I "worked' for the government.
Quote:
I believe that less activity on the parts of Senators and Congressmen would benefit us all.
well, that's obvious.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 01:15 pm
@georgeob1,
the thing is GeorgeOB, as all politics is local, the scum pervades in the towns, cities, counties and states. From the DMV to the Dept of Zoning to the Mayor's office and the state legislators are the seeds of Congress. A vile a bunch as a sack of wheat seed laced with russian thistle, the thistle spreads, well, like tumbleweed.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 01:41 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
the thing is GeorgeOB, as all politics is local, the scum pervades in the towns, cities
So it is all the politicians fault? The American people make demands that they are not willing to pay for, when this is pointed out they tell the politicians to do it anyways, and then the corporate class rolls in with their money bags full handing out money to anyone who will do their bidding as the American people look at the corruption and then turn their heads in full denial that their government is being corrupted, because the people are getting the demanded for goodies without ever seeing a bill so we are willing to let EVERYTHING else slide........

The corporate class is always going to attempt to use corruption to get what it
wants, we know this, we can always expect those who are at the top of the heap to be corrupted and to try to corrupt others.

The politicians are always going to take the situation at hand and try to find some way to make it work, this is their job

But should we expect the American people to be unreasonable/delusional/narcissistic and for them to be supremely talented at functioning through the mental illness?? I dont think so.

The flaw rests squarely with the American people. We have gotten what we wanted, what we deserved. Now we see if we can gather enough interest to try to fix things. The response to the Great Recession is not encouraging...

dyslexia

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 01:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
you and Jim Jones, natural leaders of men (and women)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 01:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
There's a little truth in what you write, but not much.

All government benefits, whether they are in the form of laws giving advantage to labor unions or certain classes of corporations; agriculture subsidies; subsidies for "renewable fuels"; welfare, medical and disability benefits; or even defense spending, create their own, usually organized, class of beneficiaries who lobby energetically for the continuation & expansion of the benefits involved - whether they support the public good or not.

We elect our legislators to make wise, informed decisions about these and other matters. There has always been a good deal of venality among legislators, but it is neither necessary nor inevitable - some rise above it. However, such bad behavior remains frequent and it should be recognized as a build in bad side effect associated with government-managed "solutions" to perceived social & economic problems. This is a good reason for folks to beware of self-styled "progressives" who usually prefer government managed solutions to problems that are better handled either by the people themselves or at the lowest possible level of government.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 03:01 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
We elect our legislators to make wise, informed decisions about these and other matters
And for awhile when people demanded stuff they would come back with "that will cost $XYZ Dollars, how do you want to pay for it" and be told that taxes can not be increased, the American people dont care how it gets done, just get it done".

Look, I believe that the politicians had a duty to tell the American people no, and I understand that the american people were going to keep turning out of office people who said no until we got to a majority who would say yes to approving unfunded programs, who would agree to either cook the books or borrow money so that we could have want we wanted but not pay for it. Still, they "leaders" should have held firm.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 02:02 pm
Quote:
A University of Delaware poll released Wednesday showed O'Donnell trailing Democrat Chris Coons by 19 points. And a Fairleigh-Dickinson University poll showed Coons up 53 percent to 36 percent. More

The world hasn't gone completely mad after all. What's even more interesting, is that the TP may have won the Republican primary, but it could cost them the seat.

Quote:
Tea Party darling O'Donnell stunned GOP rival Rep. Mike Castle, a moderate former governor with broad appeal and high name ID in the heavily Democratic state, in the state's Sept. 14 Republican primary. The Fairleigh-Dickinson poll showed that Castle would be leading a hypothetical matchup with Coons by double digits.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 02:42 pm
@georgeob1,
I would prefer the government solution. Bush did away with a lot of oversight and regulation, or just ignored what still existed, and it was a total disaster. This was, in my opinion, quite predictable, and what will happen again should the right retake control.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 09:05 am
@hawkeye10,
There are people willing to vote for o'donnell. Go to NPR.org and click onto today's Morning Edition.

I notice the Republican PArty gave her a more grown-up, less sexualized hair-do. That mop had to go and the Repubs know that appearance is everything.
wandeljw

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 12:35 pm

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 12:47 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
I notice the Republican PArty gave her a more grown-up, less sexualized hair-do
You can document that the republican party, and not the individual wearing the hair, is responsible for the do, right??

Never mind, I think I know the answer already.....
revelette

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 08:38 am
There seems to be some kind of to-do with Miller and Palin, Miller refuses to endorse Palin as President. It seems Todd Palin sent emails to Joe Miller in something of a rage over his refusal to endorse his wife.

internal emails leaked

Advocate

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 04:32 pm
@revelette,
And, according to Todd Palin, this is after Sarah stuck her ass out for Miller. I would like to see that.
revelette

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 08:10 am
@Advocate,
I imagine you and a lot of other guys or (some women) would. Smile
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 08:36 am
@hawkeye10,
She is far and away too immature to have improved her girlish, sexualized appearance. The update occurred only after her third run began drawing attention.

Consider what the Republican paid hairdressers did for the oldest palin daughter, who looked like the 2000-edition of what in 50s and 60s would have been called a "greaser."
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:45 pm
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:48 pm
0 Replies