Tea Party Favorites in U.S. Senate Races

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 07:53 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

Christine O'Donnell Flashback: 'I Dabbled Into Witchcraft'

Quote:
Eleven years ago a boisterous Christine O'Donnell confessed to Bill Maher and his ABC audience that she'd dated a witch, "dabbled into witchcraft" and even went on a midnight date involving blood on an altar.

THIS bears repeating ad nauseum if only for the sake of highlighting the average intelligence of the Tea Party candidate:
"I hung around people who were doing these things. I'm not making this stuff up. I know what they told me they do," O'Donnell told Maher.

"One of my first dates with a witch was on a satanic altar, and I didn't know it. I mean, there's little blood there and stuff like that," she said. "We went to a movie and then had a little midnight picnic on a satanic altar."
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2010/09/19/bill_maher_digs_up_odonnell_witchcraft_clip/?p1=News_links
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 08:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
THIS bears repeating ad nauseum if only for the sake of highlighting the average intelligence of the Tea Party candidate
We all know that this one canidate is a fruit cake, but I would like to see polling data on how many people care. I presume it is enough to keep her out of office.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 08:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Then you have far too much trust in the great unwashed.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 08:37 pm
@plainoldme,
Who, pray tell, are the "great unwashed" ?

I thought you were a progressive.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 08:02 am
@georgeob1,
well georgeob, I'd just be guessing but what the hell, LIMO's (Liberals in mind only)are certainly part of the great unwashed. Those would constitute the bulk of the democrat part. On the other hand, we have republicans, the majority of which think that we need a bigger government in order to regulate the government regulators who enforce government regulations; this is accomplished by supporting candidates who run on a platform of smaller government. Frankly george, I think we have met the government and the government is us, there's no doubt we're doomed.
Advocate

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 08:06 am
I recall O'Donnell say that she had a midnight picnic on a satanic alter. (I presume from this that she is not a virgin.) She also told Maher that she was in high school when this happened.

Thus, she is an ideal Teapublican candidate, who will probably end up in the White House.
revelette

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 08:08 am
Although some may want to distance themselves from O'Donnell now, she has been a tea party favorite who won the GOP primary in Delaware.

Watchdog group: Delaware candidate's spending 'flat-out illegal'

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 08:21 am
i wish we had satanists in canadian politics, the most interesting thing about any politician here, one has prostate cancer (unfortunately it's not the prime minister)
revelette

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 08:54 am
@djjd62,
I think there is a difference in satanic groups and witchcraft groups, though I get your point. Colorful folks like that might be interesting but I am not sure I would want them in Congress making decisions which effect me directly.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 09:53 am
@dyslexia,
You are correct, except that we aren't doomed.

I was merely bemused by the hypocritical pretensions of a self-styled progressive who incessantly proclaims her connection to the vox populi and concern for the general welfare, but who instantly resorts to feeble, sneering contempt for the plebs when public opposition arises..
djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 10:12 am
@revelette,
agreed, i have too much respect for Wicca to ever believe a member would debase themselves and become a politician (although i may be wrong), that's why i used Satanism
dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 10:15 am
@georgeob1,
to Dyslexia
Quote:
You are correct
You can't agree with me georgeob, next thing you know people will think you're rational.(even if it's a qualified agreement)
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 01:42 pm
@djjd62,
I wanted to be a Satanist, but decided I didn't have the body for it.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 11:59 am
In recent polls, Tea Party favorites Miller (Alaska) and Paul (Kentucky) have big leads over their Democratic opponents. However, in Delaware, Democrat Chris Coons leads Christine O'Donnell 54% to 39%. In Nevada, Tea Party favorite Angle leads Democrat Reid by a very narrow margin (46% to 45%).
plainoldme

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 08:44 pm
@Advocate,
She might end up in the WH but chances are pretty high that she'll never find the ladies' room.

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 08:46 pm
@wandeljw,
She's raising tons of money. Maybe people feel sorry for her.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 05:11 am
By JONATHAN RAUCH, National Journal
Though headless, the tea party movement is not mindless. Its collective brain meets every Monday night.

More than 200 leaders of local tea parties — coordinators, as they usually call themselves — join a conference call organized by an umbrella group called the Tea Party Patriots, the largest national tea party organization. Organizers estimate that membership totals about 15 million.

[A Guide To The Six Major Tea Party Groups]
On one Monday recently, three national coordinators began the session with a rundown on plans for upcoming rallies. The group was polled on whether to hold a second round of house parties throughout the country. A coordinator gave an update on an iPhone app for tea partiers who will be going door to door this fall to talk to voters.

The floor was then opened. Rick, from Albuquerque, N.M., asks if the national agenda includes investigating voter-roll irregularities, something his group is concerned about. Mark Meckler, a Tea Party Patriots coordinator and co-founder, weighed in. Newcomers "often don't understand how badly we need you to lead the way," he says. "If this is an area of concern to you," he admonishes, "the way the Tea Party Patriots works is that you guys really lead the organization.”

"Essentially what we're doing is crowd-sourcing," says Meckler, whose vocabulary betrays his background as a lawyer specializing in Internet law. "I use the term open-source politics. This is an open-source movement." Every day, anyone and everyone is modifying the code. "The movement as a whole is smart."

And, as was apparent in Delaware on Tuesday, the movement is gaining power. Christine O’Donnell’s upset victory in the Republican primary for the U.S. Senate, coming on the heels of insurgent candidates backed by the tea party winning in GOP Senate primaries in Alaska, Kentucky, Nevada and Utah, has made the tea party movement a force.

The question now is whether a grassroots movement that is, by design, leaderless can sustain itself after this election cycle.

In American politics, radical decentralization has never been tried on so large a scale. Tea party activists believe that their hivelike structure is their signal innovation and secret weapon, the key to outlasting and outmaneuvering traditional political organizations and interest groups. They intend to rewrite the rule book for political organizing, turning decades of established practice upside down. If they succeed, or even half succeed, the tea party's most important legacy may be organizational, not political.

[Complete Coverage: The Tea Party Movement]
From Washington's who's-in-charge-here perspective, the tea party model seems downright bizarre. Perplexed journalists keep looking for the movement's leaders, which is like asking to meet the boss of the Internet. Baffled politicians and lobbyists can't find anyone to negotiate with.

"There's such a uniqueness to every one of these groups, just as there's an individuality to every person," says Dawn Wildman, a national coordinator based in San Diego. "It has this bizarre organic flow, a little bit like lava. It heats up in some places and catches on fire; it moves more slowly in other places."

Lava is a pretty good analogy. Ask the activists to characterize their organizational structure, however, and usually they will say it is a starfish.

"The Starfish and the Spider," a business book by Ori Brafman and Rod A. Beckstrom, was published in 2006 to no attention at all in the political world. The subtitle, however, explains its relevance to the tea party model: "The Unstoppable Power of Leaderless Organizations."

Traditional thinking, the book contends, holds that hierarchies are most efficient at getting things done. Hierarchies, such as corporations, have leaders who can make decisions and set priorities and chains of command to hold everyone accountable. This type of system has a central command, like a spider's brain. Like the spider, it dies if you thump it on the head.

The rise of the Internet and other forms of instantaneous, interpersonal interaction, however, has broken the spider monopoly, Brafman and Beckstrom argue. Radically decentralized networks — everything from illicit music-sharing systems to Wikipedia — can direct resources and adapt ("mutate") far faster than corporations can. "The absence of structure, leadership, and formal organization, once considered a weakness, has become a major asset," the authors write. "Seemingly chaotic groups have challenged and defeated established institutions. The rules of the game have changed."

In decentralized networks, knowledge and power are distributed throughout the system. As a result, the network is impervious to decapitation. No foolish or self-serving boss can wreck it, because it has no boss. Fragmentation, the bane of traditional organizations, actually makes the network stronger. It is like a starfish: Cut off an arm, and it grows (in some species) into a new starfish. Result: two starfish, where before there was just one.

"We're a starfish organization," says Scott Boston, the Tea Party Patriots' educational coordinator, and a rare paid staffer.
[What Does The Tea Party Have In Common With A Starfish?]
Will it work?

Answering the skeptics, tea partiers point out that bygone efforts at radical decentralization lacked Internet-age networking and communications technologies — without which, of course, the tea party movement could not have arisen in the first place. The Tea Party Patriots' very existence suggests that something new is afoot. One coordinator notes that Facebook alone allows the movement to communicate with up to 2 million people simultaneously.

Listening to tea partiers talk about their ambitions, one hears echoes of leftist movements. Raise consciousness. Change hearts, not just votes. Attack corruption in society, not just on Capitol Hill. In America, right-wing movements have tended to focus on taking over politics, left-wing ones on changing the culture. Like its leftist precursors, the Tea Party Patriots thinks of itself as a social movement, not a political one.

[Next Electoral Target For Tea Party: Democrats]

Centerless swarms are bad at deal-making practical politics. But they may be pretty good at cultural reform. In any case, the experiment begins.
Jonathan Rauch is a senior writer for National Journal.

plainoldme

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 05:15 am
@plainoldme,
I left in the bracketed links to other topics, despite the fact that you will not be able to follow them simply to notify the audience here that such topics are accessible.

The link to this story is: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100916/pl_ynews/ynews_pl3653;_ylt=At5VVtFORO45IzpfeCmXwLgVq594;_ylu=X3oDMTE5YmEyMGFqBHBvcwM3BHNlYwN5bl9jb2x1bW5pc3RfcgRzbGsDaG93dGhldGVhcGFy

0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 02:01 pm
Quote:
Angle: I made $236,000 off Rush Limbaugh, and Hannity was profitable, too
(By Jon Ralston - Las Vegas Sun - September 21, 2010)

Remember those comments Sharron Angle made about how FOX interviews were different because she could use the network to raise money. She wasn't kidding.

Here's some audio of Angle at a house party this month, bragging about how profitable FOX can be:

Guest: Sharron, how are you doing as far as the fundraising?

Sharron Angle: It’s going really well. If you’re interested in just the Internet part of that -- and of course I’ve been criticized for saying that I like to be friends with the [press] -- but here’s the deal: when I get a friendly press outlet -- not so much the guy that’s interviewing me -- it’s their audience that I’m trying to reach. So, if I can get on Rush Limbaugh, and I can say, “Harry Reid needs $25 million. I need a million people to send twenty five dollars to SharronAngle.com.” The day I was able to say that [even], he made $236,000 dollars. That’s why it’s so important. Somebody…I’m going on Bill O’Reilly the 16th. They say, “Bill O’Reilly, you better watch out for that guy, he’s not necessarily a friendly”...Doesn’t matter, his audience is friendly, and if I can get an opportunity to say that at least once on his show -- when I said it on Sean Hannity’s television show we made $40,000 before we even got out of the studio in New York. It was just [great]. So that’s what I’m really reaching out to is that audience that’s had it with Harry, and you can watch that happen when I go on those shows. Go on my website, it starts coming in. We have an automatic…when you put your name in there and it doesn’t tell how much you gave, but it tells your name and where you’re from. And so you can just watch it; it just rolls like this. In fact, with Rush Limbaugh we put it all down. We couldn’t take the ticker going fast enough. And we’ve pulled in over [3,000,000] dollars just from that kind of a message going out
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 02:07 pm
0 Replies