The Hot Stove League

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 07:53 pm
Clemens is a great pitcher, but a strange guy. He talks about his love for his mother, who is very ill, and his desire for her to see him inducted in the Hall. Yet he came back to pitch last year, delaying his induction, five years after he retires, by 12 months. Now he's talking about mom again.

On a lighter note, my brother, a lifelong NYY fan, visited this past weekend. When I asked why he was wearing a generic ball cap instead of his Yankee hat, he said he renounced NYY after they signed Randy J. He's tired of Steinbrenner trying to buy the World Series every year....
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 09:00 pm
the rocket's salary demands are in the stratosphere...

Clemens files for record $22M in arbitration
NEW YORK (AP) -- Roger Clemens filed for a record $22 million in salary arbitration on Tuesday, and the Houston Astros offered the seven-time Cy Young Award winner $13.5 million.

The Rocket, who helped lead the Astros within one win of their first World Series appearance, still has not decided whether to pitch this year or retire.

Until now, the highest figure ever submitted for arbitration was $18.5 million in 2001 by New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter, who then agreed to a $189 million, 10-year deal.

The highest salary ever earned by a pitcher in a single season was $17.5 million, last year by Boston's Pedro Martinez.
(more here)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 09:03 pm
No f'n way he's gettting 22mil...he's on crack.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 09:17 pm
He'll get exactly that.

Or he'll retire.

I predict the latter (again).
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:23 pm
I saw that item this morning. Amazing. I think he's the most egotistical jock I know--and that's saying something. It will be interesting to see what he does if the doesn't get what he wants...
0 Replies

Json 23

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 08:51 pm
I dont think the astros should sign roger for that much, but with beltran and over 100 million$ of what he would have gotten still there theyll probably give him about 20mill$, its clemens he deserves it.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 08:17 am
They've already said they'll split the difference ($17.75 MM). Add that to the $7+ MM including incentives he earned last year and divide by two and you still have something slightly below market.

I just wish, if they were willing to pay someone 22 million bucks a year, it would have been Carlos Beltran.

Of course they weren't, which is why he's playing in New York.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 08:20 am
Some stars, especially Latins do poorly in media intensive New York. But you gotta give the Mets credit, they're still trying to play George-Ball.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 06:02 pm
He's b-a-a-a-c-k:

Clemens signs for record $18 million

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/APWires/headlines/D87OMH3O0.html
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:06 pm
But of course, he has to think of his mother.

I'm going to go to the park on days he pitches, and I'll applaud his strikeouts and wins, because I think he's one of the greatest ever...

...but if I passed him on the street and he was on fire, I wouldn't piss on him to put it out. He's just another greedhead.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:37 pm
Mets Spring Training tickets go on sale tomorrow and they say there's gonna be bedlam. Everybody wants to see Pedro , Beltran and Delgado.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 01:08 pm
mets are trying to compete with the big boys this year...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 01:11 pm
No doubt...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 02:04 pm
... but they've always done better by cultivating talent from within, not throwing $$ at free agents.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 03:38 pm
The Delgado deal ain't done yet, sports fans. According to this morning's NY Times, Texas is now bidding for him. A lot...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 03:52 pm
delgado has NY-related issues (sitting out during the playing of god bless america)...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 05:38 pm
weird...could've sworn they had him on the roster.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 05:59 pm
they have the other carlos -- beltran...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 02:57 pm
If the Mets do manage to sign Delgado, I'm sure all will be forgiven (re the non-participation in GBA singing) as soon as he wins a few games with key hits...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 06:49 pm
Fish get Delgado

MIAMI (AP) -- Carlos Delgado wanted to play for a contender, and the Florida Marlins look like one now.

Delgado agreed Tuesday to a $52 million, four-year contract. The deal, which includes an option year making it potentially worth $64 million over five seasons, is contingent on the Delgado passing a physical Wednesday.

With the addition of the free-agent first baseman, Florida becomes perhaps the team to beat in the NL East.
(more...)
0 Replies