Funeral crashers

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 11:09 am
New Zealand funeral home has stepped in to stop a fake mourner who was attending up to four funerals a week to stock up on food, even filling up tupperware containers to take home.

The "grim eater" appeared at up to four funerals a week in March and April to enjoy the finger food but clearly did not know the deceased.

The funeral company grew so concerned that it took a photograph of the man, thought to be aged in his 40s, and distributed the picture to its branches.

"Certainly he had a backpack with some tupperware containers so when people weren't looking, he was stocking up," Mr Langstraat told the newspaper.

He said the man was "always very quiet and polite, and did as the rest of the mourners did in paying his respects".

Mr Langstraat says the man stopped coming after one staff member took him aside and told him he could come to funerals but could not take food home with him.

Funeral Directors Association president, Tony Garing, told the newspaper that such cases happened in the industry occasionally but it was difficult to stop people from coming or call their behaviour theft because funerals were usually public events.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,654 • Replies: 19
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 11:32 am
When you consider that most people are happy for a good "turnout" for a funeral and that most of the food ends up in the trash I really don't know why this guy presented a problem.
Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 12:02 pm
@boomerang,
Me either - just found it rather odd.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 12:10 pm
@boomerang,
I think the problem was mainly that he was putting the food in containers to take home, and the sight of someone doing that could bother the family or friends gathered for the funeral.

Obviously, the man might have been hungry. I think the funeral directors should have allowed him to take home the uneaten food after everyone else departed the funeral home. As boomerang said, it will wind up in the trash anyway.

I had a friend whose elderly grandmother would sometimes attend funerals of people she didn't know. She lived in a city and considered getting a ride to the cemetery and back, "A ride in the country". There was always someone who offered the sweet woman a ride, and for her it was a treat.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 12:18 pm
This guy had a sweet gig going until he broke out the tupperware.

That's the problem, people get greedy.

I don't remember ever being at a viewing/funeral were food was served.

Later, at someone's house, or at a restaurant, but not at the funeral.
Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 12:20 pm
My best friend as a child loved to go to funerals/wakes.

Her mom used to bring her to all the funerals for the old folks that she went to church with. Once, my friend starts crying at a funeral. One of the funeral attendees said - what are you thinking bringing a child to a funeral - look at her she is crying. My friend's mom snarls back at this person - she isn't crying because she has to attend the funeral, she's crying because she doesn't want to leave.

She thought it was fun/interesting - everyone goes to the wake and then gathers and talks and eats afterwards. She thought it was like going to a party.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 12:21 pm
@chai2,
Maybe it is an aussie thing?
engineer

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 12:32 pm
Slight tangent: Improv Everywhere's April Fool Funeral Joke.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 12:32 pm
@Linkat,
I've never been at a funeral or viewing where food was served.

Perhaps it is becoming a trend. I did a Google search and found this site from a funeral home in Milwaukee.
http://www.krausefuneralhomes.com/blog/2010/02/food-funerals-and-fat-tuesday/
Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 12:40 pm
@firefly,
Even funerals are becoming more efficient.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 01:42 pm
One of my favorite scenes from the Sopranos.

Uncle Junior reminiscing about old times at a funeral...

Junior: Look at her like that. Mariolina gave me my first hand job. Me and Vincent Maniscaloco in the alley behind the chicken market. God, what am I saying at this poor woman's wake.
Chumly

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 01:53 pm
@chai2,
A stiff takes on new meaning.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:22 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

two large cemeteries outside windsor ontario, amalgamated a few years ago, they are located next to each other with a large plot of land in between, they built a multi function building with a chapel, parlours for viewings and a meeting room for for gatherings after the funeral, the linked the cemeteries with roads, so that the processions to the grave side never have to leave the properties, no traffic tie ups or fighting drivers who don't understand funeral etiquette

the meeting room has kitchen attached, you can provide your own food or they are linked with a catering company that is part of the cooking school at a local college

http://www.greenlawncemetery.ca/
chai2

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:09 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

chai2 wrote:

two large cemeteries outside windsor ontario, amalgamated a few years ago, they are located next to each other with a large plot of land in between, they built a multi function building with a chapel, parlours for viewings and a meeting room for for gatherings after the funeral, the linked the cemeteries with roads, so that the processions to the grave side never have to leave the properties, no traffic tie ups or fighting drivers who don't understand funeral etiquette

the meeting room has kitchen attached, you can provide your own food or they are linked with a catering company that is part of the cooking school at a local college

http://www.greenlawncemetery.ca/

Wow, this is great!

I can't wait to die!
Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:11 pm
@chai2,
one stop shopping.

the Reaper is smiling, no doubt.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:38 pm
My uncle (the wealthy one) had a neat funeral: a mass at the local catholic church, visit to the cemetary, the afternoon we all spent on his family yacht ... an irish wake on the bay.. he would have enjoyed it.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:44 pm
@ossobuco,
I guess that's one way of keeping funeral crashers away from the family and the open bar and banquet.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
Right!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 08:50 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Maybe it is an aussie thing?

where in the original artical does this say anything at all about Aussie. show me even a passing reference I dare you.

In fact it states clearly and unequivocally this happened in New Zealand.
How come you canadians are so dumb?
Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 12:14 pm
@dadpad,
Probably because I didn't read where it was from - I heard it on the radio and they mentioned australia
0 Replies