MUSIC FOR YOUR FUNERAL

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 05:44 pm
I was at a funeral today and the requisite music was chosen by the decednts family. Consequently it was so not him. nissun Dorme, some Cat Stevens, some other rather lame unbecoming music.

I got to thinking that, should I not disappear at sea as I plan, and if there is a corpse to dispose, I suppose there will be some kind of service. Id like to think about my "travellin music"

Ever think about that? I have three songs , which I will share at some time should this thread be worth your consideration.
What would you like at your service.

I definitely want OZYMANDIAS to show everyone the folly of a core of acquisition in life, music? that's another thing.
Men, don't let the women pick your music and vice versa. As far as you gay
guys, convince that you each have the pulse of your partners

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 06:16 pm
Today, this is what I want. Next year, who knows?

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 06:35 pm
@farmerman,
Three songs?

I've only got one lined up, but I'm hoping that any service for me will be extremely short - weddings are bad enough, but funerals/wakes are too long.

I picked this after my uncle's service - when my aunt had a dj playing a lovely selection of classical music she liked Evil or Very Mad

2 more?

will have to mull that over

( I think I know the musicians ... let's see if they have something appropriate)
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 08:34 pm
Start off with an introduction to reflect on the meaning of my life

Morph into a dirge for my dearly departed best friend and roommate who I hope to be reunited in the great whatever.

Ending with an upnote

and a warning

Rap

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 08:45 pm
I think we had a thread about this a lot of years ago, on this site or another. I think I posted on it. I figure I've changed my mind, either way. Back later after I cogitate.

I'm unlikely to have a funeral, but I wouldn't mind friends and family playing some of my favorites in their own good time of remembering.

Ok, I'll start a list. I'd want Silver Threads Among the Gold by the Fureys.. my mother used to sing that to me when I was very little. This popped into my memory when EuroCelticYankee added it to the WA2K thread.

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 09:01 pm
@raprap,
One of a very few Dylan songs I like, but Id choose Zevon's version
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 09:03 pm
@farmerman,
Oe of the really dumb songs at todays service was "Fanfare for the Common Man". Totally inappropriate for my friend who died .

You should memorialize your choices lest some one (like my ife ) would pick em. Shed play Alison Krauss and Union STation or someother big hat singers.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 09:08 pm
See That My Grave Is Kept Clean

Several versions out there familiar by Blind Lemon Jefferson and I sort of like the Mavis Staples version as well.

Nothing would be complete without Van Ronk, today I'd go with Sunday Street, tomorrow might be something other of his.

can't come by a third for now, maybe later.

Fact is my decisions on this change daily and I don't really give a flying fig what gets played or doesn't. One of the best services was the one for my father where there wasn't a single note of music. A few short comments, then loaded him into the hearse and off to Pinelawn we headed where they lowered him down down down into the soggy autumn ground.

Then again, I don't want a funeral, seems kind of silly and senseless since I'd rather be donated for scientific research.
chai2

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 09:10 pm
@farmerman,
I don't want no stinkin' music.

I want this...

Germlat

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 09:16 pm
@farmerman,
The way you're remembered has more to do with the needs of those who miss you. I say let them remember you in the way they see fit.. If you're gone who cares!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 09:34 pm
Here's the old thread, not meant as a supplanter, but for added enjoyment -

http://able2know.org/topic/59847-1

On my choices, I'll wait before posting more, need to pick and choose.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 09:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Sweet if your relatives can relate.
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 09:44 pm
@chai2,
I believe that's why the maoris always had an abundance of bodies upon which to hone their HAKA skills. In the meantime they were getting shot by enemies with guns.

That would be ok for a biker funeral. Although a biker funeral I once attended had everyone quaff a Yuengling

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 09:49 pm
@Sturgis,
There is no right answer (as in many other threads herein) ALLL WELCOME.

The funeral home where we went to pick out his coffin had several Philadelphia Eagles caskets. Where the Eagles logo was screened onto the casket. I never asked whether the inside had cable because my friends wife was there.
Im kinda glad I can be rid of her though, she is a real effort.
One of them" never shut up types"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 09:58 pm
@Germlat,
Actually, they could.

In the meantime, this is my so called fantasy funeral concept for me and I'll pick among the musical experiences that got to me in my life; they are varied.
Germlat

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 10:04 pm
@ossobuco,
I get it. If you think it would help them through the grieving process..it's all good.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 10:33 pm
@Germlat,
I am not worried about that, since I won't be having a funeral. That doesn't mean we aren't close.
I wouldn't mind my family and friends having some list of music that has meant a lot to me. Hard to just throw that into a letter.

Snort - here's a horrible thought - I could ask some of my fifty year friends what they want to be played at their funeral or mine. (No way)

The youngest person who would really miss me has a wide range of music she likes, including some of my old cds. I simply know she'd pick one of those, and not rap.

Or if she did the rap would make sense to both of us.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 04:52 am
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 06:12 am
@izzythepush,
Its funny that weve had very few classical or romantic or baroque music selections.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 06:17 am

maybe this...

0 Replies