Cremation or burial?

jcboy

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 07:28 pm
Such a happy subject. Ten years ago when I was 17 my mother passed away from breast cancer and five years later my father died of lung cancer, he smoked since he was 18. I was with my father when we had to make arrangements for my mother and when he died I made his arrangements myself. After that I have decided, and it’s in my will that I shall be cremated and my ashes flown back to CA and scattered below the Hollywood sign since I use to love to hike in Griffith Park, if it's still there when that time comes. If not I would hope someone would put my ashes in a casserole and feed me to my friends, bout time someone ate me.

aidan

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 10:38 pm
@jcboy,
I really, really, really do not want to be buried. I want to be cremated. But I find that when I think about it, I really don't want my ashes to be scattered, even in my most favorite spot on earth which is up on the Mendip Hills.

I do love walking there precisely because it is very isolated and quiet and peaceful - nothing up there but the sky and the wind and some rocks and grasses, and that's exactly what I love about it - it's so peaceful.
But when I think of being all alone up there through day and night for eternity - it makes me feel lonely- so I don't feel at peace with that option.

So, my plan is to get myself cremated and/or if either of my children die before me or before they get married or my dog dies before me, or my best friend who has no family except for me (he considers me family) dies before me - I will mix all our ashes, and ask someone to add mine when I die and then the last one living will have to decide what to do with them.
I sort of like the idea of putting them in a pretty urn and making them a garden feature in the yard of our most favorite house we've lived in or something like that.

I don't like the idea of using my loved ones for fertilizer - not at ALL.
aidan

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 10:39 pm
@jcboy,
Also - so sorry to read about your parents. Please accept my condolences.
0 Replies

PhoebeKate

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 02:33 am
@jcboy,
I'm a no fuss person so cremation is my way to go. A pretty urn will do the trick but it should be kept in the family mausoleum.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 03:44 am
I want my feet sharpened and my body driven into the ground under Ronald McDonald's golden arches. You'll find me under the sign reading "We are all meat".

Personally being preserved and petrified seems like a waste of resources and space.

Rap
Sturgis

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 07:34 am
@jcboy,
Give the gift that lasts forever and donate your body to medical research, that's my plan.

Whole body donation varies from place to place, check local medical schools among other places for details. Some won't take a body which has been on life support, some do their research and then tell the donor family that the remains are ready for a return (I guess like a bottle deposit in some way). Others do it all, from carting the carcass away to putting whatever is left after research into either the ground or cremating, essentially taking aways any financial burden on family. It's best to have a plan set up with the place which seems to best suit your desires. Additionally, be sure to have documents written up and delivered to the people that will be tending to your final requests (attorney, family member, closest friend) as well as the medical research facility, some won't take last minute bodies. Do the on-line research and make it as smooth a process as possible.

My father was put in the ground in a standard casket when I was 14 and other than the weather that October day being bleak I have no recollection of the event.

Mother-went a few years later and I had her cremated and then tossed in the ground with my father, I have no idea what the weather was like since I wasn't present.

Whatever way a person wants it to go, it's always best to have let people know ahead of time, same as with organ donation (heart, kidney, cornea, liver, etc. etc.).

0 Replies

royable

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 08:10 am
@jcboy,
I will go for cremation.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 10:53 am
@jcboy,
What you do in the privacy of your own urn is nona my business.

You gotta be cremated,(Thats good). Then get dumped somewhere significant so that your friends and relatives can go there to visit you.
Im gonna be cremated and my and my wifes ashes will be dumped overboard into the bay of Fundy off the North Point of Grand Manaan. We alreadfy have made the arrangements so that whoever carries my dust (I assume my wife will wsurvive me ) EIther that or my one kid will mix us both together in a cat litter box and take the ashes and litter on the boat and dump us off at (coordinates are already in the will).

I hate cemetaries , they are creepy and they are always being encroached as times change. Several cemetaries in LAncaster have already been disturbed as new development has overtaken the "Consecrated ground" and the bodies were all buried in a mass grave near the trash to steam plant. Theres a thought, your bones are at the landfill and you werent even a member of the fuckin MAfia.
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 10:57 am
@aidan,
AIDAN, You will have enough ashes to make a Pozzoloni sculpture. MAke a big statue that represents you and yer buds and family . MAke it with a drink and a partyu hat and dump it off The Channel Islands. Think that, in 10000000 years as the fault creeps up,the subduction will drag your statue into the earth and you will be converted into mountain.

Hey, maybe Ill do that
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 10:57 am
@farmerman,
I've made arrangements too - cremated and my ashes are to be spread over
the Pacific. This way I am always swimming with the sharks Smile
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 11:56 am
@CalamityJane,
you alway wanted to be a lawyer eh?

Remember that guy in CAlif who was taking on assignments to dump peoples cremains over the SIerras? Then it was found out that he had a pit behind his property into which he was dumping ashes. What a dipshit, he at least shoulda mixed em with soil Bones have a really good P content. My second choice would be to have my ashes scattered evenly over Longwood GArdens. HOWEVER, I was told by the engineering director of Longwood that they dont allow that.
saab

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 01:12 pm
A church funeral, cremation and the urn in the family plot That is how we want it in our family.

My great aunts already as young in the 20th wanted to be cremated. In Denmark you had to prove you wanted to and that was done by joining the
Corpesburningassociation - yes one word.
I thought it was such a fashinating word and on the same time so creepy,
loved to try to say it as a small girl.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 02:48 pm
@farmerman,
Hehe, I let my much younger family members spread my ashes into the Pacific. This way I make sure my wishes will be honored, as I tell them already that my ghost will hunt them until they comply Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 03:10 pm
@jcboy,
I've written before on a2k that I'd like a cohort of friends to bring my packed ashes to Italy, at of course my expense, to have a small ceremony of dumpage somewhere that they wouldn't ruin the ecology - a tuscan forest? - and then to stay and have jolly time for a while in various places of interest to them, again at my expense, remembering me if the subject ever came up. So, not like a shrine tour of places I've loved - more what would be fun for them. My only insistence would be that they not go to McDonald's or Dunkin Donuts on my dime, but that's easy, the expense to them to go to those wouldn't be too horrendous. (I've still got my Slow Food gold snail pin).

Alas, that was pie in the sky thinking (as I knew) and I have long otherwise liked CJane's take on things - the Pacific it is, preferably west of southern california, but I'm not picky. The Pacific Ocean being there has made me happy countless days.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 03:11 pm
@raprap,
Hah!
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 03:26 pm
For me, cremation seems like the ony sensible way to be disposed of. What's done with the ashes afterwards is really none of my business. But it's a shame, as I already have a nice plot of earth all paid for at Gethsemane Cemmetary in West Roxbury, Mass. and had even composed an epithet for my tombstone, all in Latin. <sigh>

Hey, anbody wanna buy a cemetary plot in a lovely graveyard in the Greater Boston area? I'll gladly sell mine. It's for two people. I'm semi-serious. Make me an offer.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 03:43 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Well, it makes some sense that I'd be buried at Mount Auburn (do they have room there anymore?) as my grandmother lived kitty corner from the cemetery. But I'm not into burial. I do like visiting cemeteries, or at least most I've been to; some are simply beautiful places in their way. Usually I like small ones, but my larger criterion is interest - what families are buried in small town cemeteries.
Should anyone happen to find themselves in Ferndale, California, that's one of my favorites. Not in tip top shape, but a good place to visit. An artist friend renovated a church next to it at some point.
The Protestant Cemetery in Rome..
The old cemetery in Sacramento - set with many roses..
little ones in tiny towns..
one in my aunt Nan's birth area, near Lake Pond' Oreille, in Idaho, quite old. She, though, picked the Pacific.
My parents are buried in the national cemetery in west Los Angeles. I go there when I visit. A sea of stones, that I used to have a lab across the street from and could hear the taps during the vietnam war years quite regularly.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 04:31 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I just noticed that its just like merry Andy to leave an epithet on his tombstone. Wonder which one??

"HEY YOU, GET THE **** OFF MY LAWN"
tatiana667

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2022 05:41 am
@farmerman,
Personally Cremation - Alot of reasons realy price convenience space safety we can keep talking ofc there are argumants against but im ok with those
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2022 06:29 am
Sky burial for me.