When you are dead, do you want to be buried or cremated?

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 11:18 am
When you are dead, do you want to be buried or cremated? If cremated, do your want your ashes distributed in an outside area or do you want them maintained in an urn in your home?

Have you established your preferences in your will or made your family members aware?

I have. I've left that to my children to decide.

Do you want to have a funeral or service? I don't want one, but I've left that to my daughter and son to decide to meet their own needs.

I hope my doggies Dolly and Madison don't die before I do. I couldn't bear that.

BBB

Sturgis

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 02:50 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
As I've indicated in a few threads in the past on this topic, I want to be handed over for research. Whole body donation, it's the only way to go.

http://biogift.org

http://www.sciencecare.com

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 02:53 pm
@Sturgis,
I talked to my children about donating my body for research. They said they thought for them it would be hard on them to know their mother's body was being cut up, etc.

I think it's easier for someone without children, family, etc.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 02:54 pm
@Sturgis,
I talked to my children about donating my body for research. They said they thought for them it would be hard on them to know their mother's body was being cut up, etc.

I think it's easier for someone without children, family, etc.

At age 82, I'm still a body part donator for some of my body parts to save a life.

BBB
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 03:00 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I wish to be cremated, or what Sturgis said.

Haven't done anything about this yet. My mother-in-law was cremated with ashes strewn over the Gulf in Florida. Her friends kept calling about her, and we really wanted to go ahead with funeral, or something. But......she said no funeral, you know. So, we're still thinking about this. I don't want any funeral, but, who knows.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 03:06 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
When i am dead, i won't want anything. Isn't that kind of obvious?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 03:21 pm
I want my feet sharpened with a machete and then be driven into the ground with a steam driven pile-driver. Then I'd like twin gold MacDonald arches erected over the site with a sign that reads "We are All Meat."

Rap
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 03:27 pm
Honestly, if the choice were available, I would much prefer to have my body placed in the woods some where. I dont want it close to the city because I do not want it bothered by people. Let the animals and bugs eat me, goodness knows I have eaten enough of them.

But beyond that, i would REALLLY like to just be left for nature. I dont want my family to have to spend thousands on a box that goes in the ground. I think the industry of death is highway robbery... If my family has 5k to throw at a death, I would order them to take a vacation some where with that money, dont just put it in the ground. You might as well just take out 5 thousand dollar bills, put them in a sack and bury them 6 feet under ground. thats about the equivalent..
aidan

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 03:31 pm
When I die, I want to be cremated and released into the air above the Mendip Hills of Somerset, England.
I also hope my dog dies before me. I will cremate her and I have instructed my my children and my best friends that my ashes are to be mixed with hers and then she and I are to be released here where she and I have spent many blissful hours together:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/IMG_9481.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 03:39 pm
I have told my wife to dispose of my remains as cheaply as possible.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 03:44 pm
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 04:01 pm
@shewolfnm,
I read a very old book once upon a time that I got from a special place that sells such books. It was about the lost continent of Atlantis.

They disposed of everything down through a tube to, presumably, the earth's core where it probably evaporated in a flash. You know, all garbage, people sentenced to death, dead people, anything big and small. I often have wondered if that's where "down the tube" came from.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 04:37 pm
After donating whatever parts can be used, I'd prefer cremation. Then I'd like for my ashes to be placed in a niche in a columbarium covered by a stone engraved with my full name and dates of birth and death.

We've done a lot of genealogy research on my family and my husband's family, and grave markers were a primary source of information. For that reason, I want my info available to future generations of my family, and if my ashes were scattered or kept in someone's home, this source of correct information could be lost.

I sure hope Hubby isn't in charge of the engraving. He cannot spell worth a damn.
MonaLeeza

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 05:03 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
My atoms will go back into the earth one way or another but cremation is cheaper. I'd like my ashes to be sprinkled on my camellias or on the compost pile.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 05:23 pm
@Eva,
That's a good point.

I've always wanted there to be some sort of marker because I think that's a powerful thing for the bereaved -- to have some physical place where the dead person "is." I've found that to be a good experience, to go to a graveyard and "visit" the deceased. Also the rituals around taking care of the grave, laying flowers, etc.

But I think the whole expensive casket thing and all of that is silly.

So maybe cremation, maybe one of those "green" pods (made out of recycled cardboard or something), maybe a cheap pine box. That part doesn't really matter, cheaper and greener is better.
Thomas

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 10:42 pm
If it was just about me, I'd want to be ground into protein meal and be fed to chicken at some factory farm. That way, chickenkind could get a little closer to even with me for all those drumsticks, which gives me comfort. But of course, funerals are made to comfort the living, not the deceased, and my loved ones would find the idea rather discomforting. So I guess I'll go with a conventional cremation.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 10:47 pm
@Thomas,
hmmmm.

there's a peckerhead joke in there somewheres, Tom...

I want to be buried at sea.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 10:49 pm
I dont get the grave thing, all my kin are all buried in graves, many I have seen lowered into the ground, but I have never once gone back to visit so what is the point? Now maybe the issue is that we are military and I am rarely in the area where they rest, but I doubt I would have any interest in taking the time even if I lived there. Funerals and graves are for those left behind, and while I value funerals I do not graves, and they are damned expensive too. Now if we could just get rid of the embalming expense we would be more than half way home to having an efficient send off...$8K for a funeral, $2K to put into the ground plus another couple grand to rent the space.....WTF?
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 09:35 am
Already got the plot, gonna pre-pay for the funeral.

All that my survivors will need to do is call Barile's Funeral Home and
follow the instructions. Dad didn't teach me much, but he taught me
that.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 09:57 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

So maybe cremation, maybe one of those "green" pods (made out of recycled cardboard or something), maybe a cheap pine box. That part doesn't really matter, cheaper and greener is better.

I have always wondered WHY there were no real , I dont know what to say here, cheap? Less material? thinner maybe.. caskets available to everyone , just put right next to the 5k polished wood ones.

I understand the reasons why we have to pay for the ground, there are specific guidelines to burring organic material in that high of a volume so that it doesnt get into the water system, pollute other grounds..etc. etc. But I do not get why we can not just put someone IN a cardboard box either. Honestly that will help them decay faster and might help mother nature to rid the ground quicker when that happens.

It is almost as if people HAVE to afford expensive caskets because there are no other options.

When Jillians grandpa died, i remember looking at their catalog, and in a less obvious place, with minimal description which made it read like a cave of doom, there was a 300.00 'option' as they called it. And descriptions like " my need pillows for comfort and positioning" ........ Um. Excuse me? Comfort? really?

it left me feeling like they were using a sideways guilt trip about buying the cheaper one. It wasnt 'comfortable', it was less than, not worthy , you name it. But, it is going in the ground just like the 5k one.. so why does that stuff matter?

I think the super expensive ones should be the more obscure ones. That if you CAN or WANT to afford that, then you have to do something different. I do not understand why we have to start at the top and work our way down the cost of caskets.

death really is a HUGE industry