"SEPARATED BY A COMMON LANGUAGE..." Idioms of English Speaking Countries

failures art

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 12:36 am
@roger,
Cool.

I grew up in Springfield, MO. Lots of trucking companies there. My adopted brother's mother was a truck driver for PRIME. I always got confused on these terms.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 04:51 am
@dlowan,
How typically charming. We live over here in this hemisphere, and it doesn't get anything like the sort of obsessive response we're getting here from the Australians. So, once again, i'll assume this is some bizarre regional obsession.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 04:56 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
I suspect "viaduct" was and is a Canadian usage.

Not so, Roscoe. I've heard the term used in many places in the United States. It was used in the little town i grew up in, and when i was a boy and someone would say "overpass" i was mystified as to what they meant.
Setanta

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 05:00 am
I thought of another last night as i was eating my Harvey's hamburger. If an American wants all of the available condiments/veggies, etc. on a sammich or a burger, he'll say "run it through the garden." Canajuns seem to call that "all dressed." But then, Canajuns eat ketchup-flavored potato chips. They're weird.
farmerman

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 05:07 am
@Setanta,
It was Canajia that introduced me to the "Dill Pickle Chip", Now Herrs Chips makes Dill pickle chips that are far superior to the HUmpty Dumpty varietal.

"Running it through the GArden" is a non economical way of saying
"with everything".
In many hotdog joints "everything meant mustard ketchup, rlish, onions and a big dollop of shili". Most states would require a solid waste permit for that concoction , but around E Pa, its a common (albeit gag inducing) presentation.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 05:07 am
Okay, all you English speakers, sort this out:

Let's suppose it's last Friday, May 28th.
You get these emails:

Eddie says: The meeting is next Tuesday at 9AM.

Dan answers: You mean this Tuesday or next Tuesday?

Eddie replies: Next Tuesday, the first of June.

Dan says: The first of June is this Tuesday, next Tuesday is June 8th.

Eddie says: No. Next Tuesday is the first, the 8th is "Tuesday week."

Dan asks: Tuesday week? What the hell is Tuesday week?

Eddie says: It's the Tuesday after next Tuesday and next Tuesday is the first Tuesday after today.

Dan says: So when is this Tuesday?

Eddie: The first.

Dan: So, this Tuesday is the same as next Tuesday?? Can't be.

---
We finally decided not to use 'this' or 'next' or 'week' and just announce the date and time.

So if I said to you "I'll see you this Tuesday" that would be the 1st
AND
If I said to you "I'll see you NEXT Tuesday." that would be the 1st as well, right?

Joe(I'm just hoping somebody shows up on Tuesday at 9.)Nation

Setanta

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 05:14 am
@farmerman,
Herrs are, in my never humble opinion, the best chips you can by in Canadia. The fact that they're American made doesn't seem to bother the locals, despite their otherwise blatant obsession with "buy Canajun."
farmerman

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 05:19 am
@Joe Nation,
Thats a cunumbrdum that Mr Shaw meant when he coined the phrase which serves as my thread title.
I am oft confussed by the "this Tuesday or next Tuesday" . "Tuesday next" is a way of getting out of the ever decreasing communication spiral. Try it on me, youll like it and you will sound logarithmically more clever.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 05:25 am
@Setanta,
Herrs makes several levels of chip
Regular--fried in grease, flavored and thin cut

Kettle Cooked-same **** as above, just a better marketing name and thicker cut

Baked- somehow theyve discovered a way to bake the little suckers in an oven and they retain crispness for a sell by date that concentrates on the YEAR .

When I was a kid, we used to get potato chips DELIVERED in these huge cans that contained 5 pounds of greasy, salty crispy delights made by a company named GOODS CHIPS.

Oh yeh a chip is a sliced , salted, fried snack potato. Any other way is a "Fry". A chip is not a fry and a fry neither a chip is.
oolongteasup

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 06:54 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
georgeob1 wrote:
I suspect "viaduct" was and is a Canadian usage.

Not so, Roscoe. I've heard the term used in many places in the United States

culvert ops
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 06:56 am
@farmerman,
In Ahia, the delivered in a huge can of greasy chips is Charles' Chips. Good stuff . . . Dog save us from the food nazis . . .
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 07:38 am
@Setanta,
i say either "with everything" or "with the works", when ordering a burger or hot dog
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 08:18 am
@dyslexia,
Did you wear a Stetson?
dyslexia

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 08:21 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Did you wear a Stetson?
of course.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 08:24 am
@roger,
The Most Noble Order of the Garter

The Oldest and Highest British Order of Chivalry, founded in 1348 by Edward III.

The Order consists of Her Majesty The Queen who is Sovereign of the

Order, His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales and 24 Knights Companions.

The origin of the symbol of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, a blue 'garter' with the motto Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense will probably never be known for certain as the earliest records of the order were destroyed by fire, however the story goes that at a Ball possibly held at Calais, Joan Countess of Salisbury dropped her garter and King Edward seeing her embarrassment picked it up and bound it about his own leg saying in French, Evil, (or shamed) be he that that thinks evil of it' this is almost certainly a later fiction. This fable appears to have originated in France and was, perhaps, invented to try and bring discredit on the Order. There is a natural unwillingness to believe that the World's foremost Order of Chivalry had so frivolous a beginning.

It is thought more likely that as the garter was a small strap used as a device to attach pieces of armour, it might have been thought appropriate to use the garter as a symbol of binding together in common brotherhood. Whilst the motto probably refers to the leading political topic of the 1340's, Edward's claim to the throne of France. The patron saint of the Order of the Garter is St George and as he is the patron saint of soldiers and also of England, the spiritual home of the order has therefore always been St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 08:25 am
Sometimes it's pronunciation, rather than different choice of words. I recall, about about 61 years ago a child laughing because I pronounced 'aigs,' 'eggs.'
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 08:27 am
@Ionus,
I remember diapers in the 1950s being made of a diamond-weave cloth.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 08:32 am
@Setanta,
I haven't heard the phrase run it through the garden but I have heard all the condiments called "the works."

There are ketchup-flavored potato chips in America. They give lie to the phrase, "betcha can't eat just one." One is all I wanted.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 08:34 am
@dyslexia,
Howdy, padner!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 08:36 am
@plainoldme,
yeah "the works" seems common", when I order a burger or baked potato, I usually ask for it "loaded" which means the same as "the works"