Da Bunny's visiting New York.

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 09:57 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I have no idea how long it actually took, because I have been through too many steenking timezones to know.

The important thing is, you're back to the future now.
Diane

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 11:05 pm
Osso is right on about Deb's voice. Elegant, musical even to the point of slowly getting Dys to slow down, lower his voice and become quite a nice companion the the wabbit. She sure knows how to manage a crowd, or in this case, Dys, 'twas a loverly thing to see.

Did anyone there notice her gorgeous skin? Not a pore in sight. Now this is enough, I don't wan' the wabbit angry with me.
Diane

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 11:10 pm
One other thing. It seems that none of us Albaturkians are aware of time except for Dys. Some plans had to be canced because of time restraints. Roger and Osso and Deb had planned to take Deb along the Turquoise Trail to a little town called Madrid. Instead, they went to Old Town to look at galleries, souvenirs and little gifts to take back to Oz. Was still enjoyable.

OhhhhhhWabbit, come back.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:57 am
@Diane,
Now you are getting weird on us D. This aintCSI.

Torquise Trail, theres a mine near there up in the N end where my uncle and I used to hunt purple mica called "Lepidolite". I have big hunks of it and had some of it cut into little gems for gifts.
Diane

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 10:04 am
@sozobe,
Oi, Soz. Oy, did I get that wrong!

d
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 10:10 am
@farmerman,
Oh dear, farmerman, has't Dys told you by now that I have always been weird?
And I do love CSI, just not the Miami one.

Jewelrey stores around here always have peices featuring lepidolite. It is one of my favorites.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 03:55 pm
@Thomas,
'tain't really the future!
Roberta

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 04:23 pm
@dlowan,
You're home! Bet it feels good. Or maybe you're not home. Good to see you wherever the hell you are.
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:20 pm
@Roberta,
I'm home.

Had the usual "Oh god I have way less money than I expected, help!" experience. This will play out as being more or less agitating when all my bills are delivered!

Partly this is real, and partly the result of a bank stuff-up, which they are in the process of fixing.

It's wet cold and windy, but who cares?

Having the usual post-natal depression consequent upon getting home, as well as being tremendously happy to unpack The Beast for the last time, put away my passport BECAUSE NOBODY GETS TO DEMAND TO SEE IT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.....honestly, how many people need to see your passport and boarding pass and such for ONE trip through ONE airport.....

Dear Helen met me.....she had a bit of a difficult trip home...was obviously picked out for a random special search at Heathrow, including being frisked and having to unpack her whole suitcase. This was ameliorated at Singapore where the Hotel went out of its way to be enormously kind (including giving her a suite for nil extra, letting her have the room 5 hours ahead of normal so she could sleep immediately, and generally being very empathic and helpful because of her circumstances. However, this was cancelled out somewhat in Sydney (where she had to wait five hours) when Quarantine became suspicious when she very honestly declared a tiny pack of French almonds (which they rightfully confiscated) but then insisted on searching her entire luggage...I am all for quarantine and I guess they wondered if she declared the almonds to trick them into believing her honest while she imported tonnes of illicit vegetable matter.,,,but she was at the end of her tether.

I don't know at what point she became aware that her mother had actually died while she was in Singapore.

It's always great and kind of sad to get home. There's no place like home...but travel, for all its tensions and difficulties (and there are many usually, in some way or another) is wonderful...and it's kind of like child birth, I guess, you rapidly forget the bad parts, or they become Hilarious Stories.

It's not great that all you wonderful people are so far away again....but my friends are here.

Be nice to have both, eh???!!! I mean, you guys near, and my Oz friends near too.

Work is soon here too.

I am quite tired today (I got in yesterday morning...it's 9.36 am Saturday here) and am very much plodding around unpacking The Beast very slowly and sorting stuff.

Miranda is fine...but I can't pick her up because I do, indeed, have two flat tyres that have to be replaced and I can't get that done until Tuesday...I kind of think I may have the dentist on Tuesday too, but I can't find where I put The Diary that would illuminate me on this matter so carefully almost seven weeks ago!

Foster daddy K made no offer to bring Miranda around so I'll ring foster mummy S in a while and see if her softer heart means she offers. She has a wild crazy schedule though, so she may be working all weekend for all I know.

I can't wait until I see what she's been up to....she's in politics and is currently in a position that her party can't do much to her so she is in a position at last for Speaking Out Publicly, and has been doing so.

I am slowly sorting out people's presents, but there is more stuff coming by mail, so this is a bit moot at present.

The deliciously lovely man who checked my luggage through from Albuquerque to Adelaide....(yes, I flirted)....kindly decided not to charge me the $200 he COULD have done because The Beast was overweight. In Oz, they'll generally weigh ALL the luggage, and if you're under your allowance it's fine. In the US they take each bag separately, it seems...and The Beast was over while my little bag was under. he was supposed to charge me a couple of hundred but didn't.

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:33 pm
@dlowan,
where did you put all the bedbiugs you smuggled into OZ?
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:38 pm
@farmerman,
Didn't find any!!! Even in New York. Maybe they don't like rabbit? We taste kind of like chicken, you know...and if you look into the eyes of a chicken you see pure evil.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:45 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

The deliciously lovely man who checked my luggage through from Albuquerque to Adelaide....(yes, I flirted)....kindly decided not to charge me the $200 he COULD have done because The Beast was overweight. In Oz, they'll generally weigh ALL the luggage, and if you're under your allowance it's fine. In the US they take each bag separately, it seems...and The Beast was over while my little bag was under. he was supposed to charge me a couple of hundred but didn't.

Glad last Albuquerque mems are good.
I've not had a bad situation at Sunport, Abq... yet.
LAX, don't get me started.

Funny about these small engagements. I still sort of remember, well, almost, the agricultural expert from Ecuador that I met in the hotel lobby near the FAO in Rome. No, nothing happened but an exchange of cards, but on a long long trip, a good conversation, especially with some flirting, is bolstering.
Even without flirting.. I still remember conversing about screenwriting with the waiter at a certain nondescript restaurant in italy, just because I was from Los Angeles. Still remember talking with the violinist from Rumainia (Romania?) in a city park, who desired to go to california. Plus that taxi driver from NYC whose wife and children lived in Orlando, Florida.

I wonder how they all are.

[/quote]
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:58 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm like that with a bunch of folk too.

I am thinking right now of a number of the NY taxi drivers....had some great conversations with them. There was the Indian guy who was ecstatic because India had just beaten Australia by one run in the latest Test match. He was incredulous when I said I was glad India had won...and then we got into a great conversation about the Commonwealth Games, Pakistan and India, Indian folk in Oz and all.
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:59 pm
@ossobuco,
ALL Albuquerque memories are good...except having to truncate activities because of the Air NZ check-in debacle!!!
sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 06:02 pm
@dlowan,
That's awesome!

I've been holding off on demanding stories -- because I know there must be so infinitely many of them on such a long and far-ranging trip, and it takes some time to decompress and get in a storytelling mood once you return home. But I look forward to getting more of these stories as they organically surface!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 06:02 pm
@dlowan,
That means that you didnt eat at Poydrils.
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 06:23 pm
@farmerman,
What's that?
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 07:59 pm
@dlowan,
I spoke to my baby!!!! On the phone....she bellowed back!!!

Auntie S is going to get me and bring Miranda home with me!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 10:58 pm
@farmerman,
That could be in Cerillos, have been there a couple of weeks ago.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 01:13 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Didn't find any!!! Even in New York. Maybe they don't like rabbit? We taste kind of like chicken, you know...and
if you look into the eyes of a chicken you see pure evil.
No, no, Bunny Rabbit. About 60 years ago or so, I used to have chickons
and thay were very, very nice !

David
0 Replies