Wearing suspenders?

Chumly

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:07 pm
I'm thinking of wearing suspenders when teaching. No jacket or tie though just pants and shirt and shoes and suspenders and sundries. I don't want to look old-farty or geeky and I want them to have some panache and either match or contrast with what I'm wearing.

I do not want to spend a bundle on them but I want a few different ones that have some interest and style to them, sort'a like some ties do.

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 11,579 • Replies: 28

roger

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:14 pm
@Chumly,
If you're not shopping Brooks Brothers, the Dockers line is about the minimum you want to go. Be sure you don't pick a brand that has a metal claw directly in contact with the fabric.

For real style, get braces that actually button to the pants. This will involve modification to most pants, or a pant actually designed for them.

It's a tough style to carry off. Joe Cocker did okay, but he's always been a bit weird.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:43 pm
http://jayleigh.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/mork.jpg

Yeah, I think suspenders would be a good look for you.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:06 pm
@Chumly,

Quote:
I'm thinking of wearing suspenders when teaching. No jacket or tie though just pants and shirt and shoes and suspenders and sundries.

Shocked

Good Lawd!

I totally had a visual ... then on reading Rogers comment realised that this is an American forum...

Chumly - you did just make me laugh again! Embarrassed

<i mebbe should not have admitted that> Mr. Green
Chumly

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:19 pm
@Izzie,
I'm West Coast Canadian so most anything is OK style-wise. Some of the Instructors have hair halfway to their waist, some go cue-ball, some dress like they just emerged from the 50's, some dress in slacks and golf-shirts, some dress in jeans & teeshirt, etc.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:22 pm
@Chumly,
You had another recent topic about your work clothes image where I posted a few links for suspenders and vests. Have you taken a look at those links yet?

http://able2know.org/topic/133456-2#post-3682891
Chumly

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:23 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you much for reminding me, I'll look them over, Obliged!
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:02 pm
@Chumly,
oh no no no Chumly... suspenders over in Europe are very different to American/Canadian suspenders...

http://www.agentprovocateur.com/lingerie/suspenders.html

see.... just a little different. I think your students would be wholly shocked to see you wearing the European suspenders Wink
ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:06 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
I'm West Coast Canadian so most anything is OK style-wise.

Izzie thought you were going this way style-wise ...

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/so/sockshop-ladies-1-pair-10-denier-classic-nylon-lace-top-stockings-large-black.jpg

(suspender stockings)

If you do decide to go that route ... let us know what the students think.
roger

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:09 pm
@Izzie,
Shocked

I always wondered if there wasn't something a little off about ol' Chumly.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh please do take a pic - of the students faces of course - they would be soooooooooo shocked... and with what you are teaching... would be par for the course. Excellent learning lesson.., Razz

sorry, just funnin'a bit - I just could imagine (with the wonderful sense of humour that A2K says) that a teacher would do this... of BPB - I could see him in suspenders and lycra Razz
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:28 pm
@ehBeth,
How would the students know?
plainoldme

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:31 pm
One of the bits of schtick my 25 y/o son does from time to time is say that he wants to wear suspenders when he is an old . . . a time of life that he anticipates with relish. He sees himself with his thumbs through his suspenders, pontificating.

I remember that suspenders were the rage in the northeastern US during the . . .80s, was it? My ex-husband wore them, both under a three piece suit and with jeans, looking very lumberjackish.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:32 pm
@plainoldme,
Chum's left-coast Canajun. He's not going to wear stockings AND slacks. That'd be a bit too east-coast up-tight.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:59 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh, so just the stockings? I pictured that Monte Python judges-in-drag-under-their-robes skit. Does he also wear a shirt?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:37 pm
@Izzie,
"Sexy suspender straps delicately holding up eye-catching stockings"; not quite what I had in mind but...it would keep the student's amused/bemused/excused!
farmerman

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 04:10 am
@Chumly,
Suspenders are still cool. Just not the wide strap-metal clip with the Budweiser or Harley Davidson logos kind. Those are strictly for farmers and douche bags.

Try a bowtie? A bow tie and suspenders will give you a "Dr Mallard" look.

DO you drive a Peugeot? DO they even ,make Peugeots?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:05 am
How can I wear suspenders with loose shirts? Oh pooh, I wear my shirts out (part of my dealio) so I'm not sure how to wear suspenders with loose shirts.

Peugeots and bowties? The closest I get to anything French is at 2:00 a.m. on Fridays (wife permitting) and the closet thing I get to anything around my neck is a fitful albatross.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:08 am
@Chumly,
You could wear the suspenders over a wife beater and under a loose, unbuttoned shirt for the ultimate in cool.
Chumly

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:34 am
@plainoldme,
Way too warm to wear a teeshirt under my shirt. I can't wear a jacket or a tie or a vest for the same reason; I'd boil! Like many institutional HVAC systems (Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning) you cannot open the windows and the HVAC system does a crappy job of keeping the temperature and humidity at sane levels.