Logo change - what a mistake

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:20 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

From cafes and cruise ships to bookstores and grocery aisles, Seattle's Best Coffee's diverse distribution network is rapidly expanding. The brand has reached an agreement with AMC Theatres (AMC) to serve Seattle's Best Coffee at the leading theatrical exhibitor's nearly 300 AMC Theatres nationwide beginning in July, and as previously announced, Seattle's Best Coffee will also be offered at all Burger King restaurants in the United States by September. These new relationships join Seattle's Best Coffee's growing roster of partners, which includes Alaska Airlines, Borders bookstores and Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, among others.
Perhaps the most radical feature of the Starbucks strategy, according to the report, calls for selling Seattle's Best from vending machines. Vending-machine coffee has long been regarded as a last resort, often found in factory cafeterias miles from the nearest fresh brew. But Seattle's Best engineers have developed a coffee-making machine that Starbucks predicts will improve that image.
http://www.cspnet.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&AudID=8D2273B133A14EB6903E0EECCBC32777&tier=4&id=5704FEAA50E94F1796531F1A780C2DE3

I hope you all get used to the logo, cause you will be seeing it everywhere...
ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:25 am
@hawkeye10,
All I can say is honey, why would I care about seattle coffee?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 01:25 am
@ossobuco,
I must admit, a great many people, especially young people that I have met here in Washington, have a good deal of hate for Starbucks....something about being too elitist and too big. I am not sure that pushing what is viewed as their knock-off brand into so many markets is going to be good for them. I am sure they expect young people to identify with the "fun" branding effort but I doubt it, I don't think they will ever be anything but Starbucks lite....bigger and more hate worthy than ever.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 04:04 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

All I can say is honey, why would I care about seattle coffee?

♪♫ Starbucksism, Green Mountainism,
Gevalia Kaffism, Dunkin Donutsism, Folgerism
♪♫This-ism, that-ism, ism ism ism ♪
All we are saying is give Seattle Coffee a chance♫
All we are saying is give ♪♫ Seattle Coffee a chance

Everybody sing with me!! Surprised
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 12:03 pm
I think the fact that people are comparing it to the Target logo proves it's a good redesign -- simple, graphic, can be seen at a distance, doesn't require reading = good logo.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 12:45 pm
@boomerang,
Until last year all this brand was was the brand of coffee in the cafe of about 500 stores in a dying book store chain. There is not worth saving, and there is a lot of upside to turning the brand into something else.

However, even if they build the brand a great deal this could still bite Starbucks in the ass, if it flames the resistance to the Starbucks brand.
boomerang

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 12:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
Starbuck's owns Seattle's Best.

They used to serve Seattle's Best in all the McDonalds here -- a refillable cup for .50. Yum!

I don't go out for coffee too often but when I do it's to the neighborhood grocery (great coffee!) or to Seattle's Best.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 08:05 pm
Quote:
“A little more than a year ago we set out to challenge the conventions of the coffee category by making premium coffee far more accessible than ever before,” says Michelle Gass, president of Seattle’s Best Coffee. “This campaign truly brings to life the fun and optimistic nature of the new Seattle’s Best Coffee brand and for the first time shines a national spotlight on this brand.”

Three 30-second spots use humor to depict consumers in unexpected situations that are a metaphor for the many places where great coffee is needed. The campaign also features outdoor and digital ads that use a 10-foot high sculpture built from brightly colored coffee mugs that mirror the vibrant colors of the new Seattle’s Best Coffee Level System packaged coffee. In addition to the planned media placements, the films can be found on the company’s website, You Tube site, and Facebook Page.

“While Seattle’s Best Coffee has accomplished a lot over the past year through the brand reinvention, this is really the first significant effort to connect a mass audience to the mission that the brand has undertaken, and the viewpoint this brand has on people’s everyday coffee experience,” says Robson Grieve, president of Creature. “The campaign is intended to establish a bold visual language and voice that will continue to develop though the Level System coffees, new retail experience, and beyond.”

Seattle-based Creature created the advertising campaign and has partnered with Seattle’s Best Coffee since December 2009 to develop the new logo and brand identity, new line of Levels retail packaged coffee, website, and retail merchandising programs
http://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/seattles-best-launches-first-major-ad-campaign

Meanwhile Starbucks is rebranding the Starbucks brand, taking the words "Starbucks" and "coffee" out of the logo as they aim to massively move into the grocery store isles. As part of the move they have ended their contract with Kraft, who had for 12 years distributed the Starbucks brand coffee in stores.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 08:12 pm
@chai2,
Clear win on first photo. (What were they thinking?)

Aaaack, didn't catch it was an older thread. Will read up.
Have read up. I still like the first one - the cup looks warm.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 08:15 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Ok, ok, finally I agree with you entirely.

Oh, look, I still agree with myself and you...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 08:29 pm
I have probably mentioned this on a2k before but in the six degrees of connection sense, a woman I worked with's husband knew one of the original starbucks people. And so what? I agree, so what. That and a nickel gets me a five cent cigar and I don't like cigars.

Next, I've always thought of them as wannabes, no matter how obnoxiously successful they are with their burnt beans.
0 Replies

laurabrentley21

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 12:34 pm
Is that for real? Do they really want to change the logo with that? The current, and the oldest logo being used by Seattle's Best is among the most notable logos of all time, and you cannot changed it with crap. It has been their identity ever since, and shouldn't be altered for the sake of just having a new one. No way.
0 Replies

Michael Lalwani

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 07:33 am
@chai2,
Hello chai2,
This might be their marketing strategy to relaunch product with small change.
0 Replies