A little girl whose parents were pro-lifers. Want your thoughts/feelings on this.

Pemerson

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 04:32 pm
Some situations like this are just karmic. We don't have to live a life we are not ready for, but there is a lesson there. It will come around again and maybe we will feel stronger. Nothing is lost.

Someone can learn the lesson of love by being born with an overwhelming medical condition or their appearance remarkably marred. These things can tax to the limit a parent's love, yet some (even most) will love that child through it. There's no reason whatsoever to make anyone feel guilty about this kind of decision.

failures art

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 02:38 am
I think that a woman in stable marriage living in sub-urban comfort may receive a different emotional judgment from me than one that is living pay check to pay check. I'm very pro-choice, but as mushy said, this thread is not about the legal issue. I certainly don't think all abortions are the same, nor do I think/feel that I would offer the same moral support in all cases.

A
R
T
electronicmail

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 06:55 am
@mushypancakes,
Quote:
I do feel a deep disguist and almost anger towards her parents. Let's just say, I wouldn't trust myself to meet them.

The parents were told in week 13 the pregnancy should be terminated because the fetus had severe birth defects. They decided that the husband's military employment guaranteed medical care forever and went ahead. Taxpayers covered costs of life-saving operations including feeding tube inserted in stomach and tracheal tube for breathing. These tubes are still needed.

Taxpayers also got stuck with some of the millions of $$$$ for dozens of cosmetic surgeries. The rest came from charitable donations. Anybody who supports these parents' decision should try to conceptualize the child's pain and suffering:
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/genthumb.ashx?e=3&h=263&w=350&i=/assetpool/images/04127134927_juliana_bones.jpg
And remember they were warned! It's not for me to judge them but "pro-lifers"? How 'bout "pro-paying-for-the-consequences-of-your-own-damn-decisions?"
Mame

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 07:09 am
@electronicmail,
That's a whole other issue... this topic is about whether the parents should have aborted this child due to her medical conditions and her potential quality of life, not whether it should be aborted based on medical costs. He's likely paying something into his medical package so he has every right to draw against it.
electronicmail

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 07:19 am
@Mame,
The bulk of the costs is for elective or cosmetic surgeries and isn't covered by any insurance. The parents are always out begging for charitable donations. They elected to bring this pregnancy to term knowing full well the consequences.
Mame

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 07:22 am
@electronicmail,
So what? It's not a criminal act. Why not think about how many of your dollars have gone into your latest war on terror?? Now THAT's criminal.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:05 am
@Pemerson,
Nicely put.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:05 am
@failures art,
Also, nicely put.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:58 am
Why do people worry about tax dollars going to HELP other people in health care but they dont care about tax money just disappearing?

Why is it such a sore point to know that someone is getting medical help, but it isnt a sore point to know that the " war on drugs" costed several BILLION dollars while drug use, drug crimes and drug related arrests are multiplying hand over fist. Can anyone say legal money laundering??

Why are people so angry at those who need medical help, yet dont give a **** about the government who will throw away money at a so called terrorism attack.

Mame

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 10:50 am
@shewolfnm,
Yeah, if I had a choice between spending $ on a little girl who, by no fault of her own, is disfigured and trying to give her a better life vs spending $ on killing a bunch of people in a country where we are only there for GREED, I know what I'd spend my $ on.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 11:25 am
Can I get an amen?

Can I get an amen for sistah's shewolf and mame?
electronicmail

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 07:25 am
@Mame,
Quote:
That's a whole other issue... this topic is about whether the parents should have aborted this child due to her medical conditions and her potential quality of life, not whether it should be aborted based on medical costs.

You're wrong. Read the thread title, it asks for our "thoughts/feelings".
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 07:28 am
@Mame,
Quote:
So what? It's not a criminal act.

Deliberate infliction of grievous bodily harm is definitely criminal. Those parents were warned in week 13 of the pregnancy, or did you miss that?
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 07:31 am
@chai2,
An "amen" to dragging in the costs of wars "on terror" and "on drugs"? No connection at all to the subject of this thread.
boomerang

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 08:58 am
@electronicmail,
Quote:
Taxpayers covered costs of life-saving operations including feeding tube inserted in stomach and tracheal tube for breathing. These tubes are still needed.

Taxpayers also got stuck with some of the millions of $$$$ for dozens of cosmetic surgeries.

You dragged taxes into the conversation and they replied where they prefer to see their tax dollars spent. So your comments were off topic, not theirs.
electronicmail

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 09:07 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
your comments were off topic

Here's the thread title:
Quote:
A little girl whose parents were pro-lifers. Want your thoughts/feelings on this.

My comments were exactly on topic. The case of the little girl. Wars are not on topic, be they foreign or domestic.
0 Replies