Can I Pick Your Brain?

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:11 pm
I need to come up with a solution to stop the dogs from fence running. The neighbor dogs don't engage in the running up and down, but my dogs will run and run and run and bark, trying to get the other dogs to do it. They will not respond to yelling, or me standing in the way, or a goodie, or anything. I can't seem to get them out of the mode once they are in it. So I need to know how to stop it.

Any suggestions?

We have a chain link fence and can't afford to put up a privacy fence.

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:16 pm
@Bella Dea,
IKEA has these inexpensive sunshields you could use for the chain link fence,
Bella.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40154953
chai2

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:16 pm
is it the barking that's bothering you?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:20 pm
The barking is annoying. My grass is destroyed along the fence line. And the dogs get SO muddy because there is no grass, just dirt.
Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:23 pm
@CalamityJane,
Oh my god, that is fantastic! The problem is it isn't high enough. Our fence is 4ft and the sunshade is just over 2 1/2 feet. I wonder if they make them bigger?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:41 pm
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgk/R-202025821/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
This is kind of ugly and you can still see thru it kind of. But i wonder if it would be enough of a deterrent to help stop the behavior?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:48 pm
Ok, now for the math...help me out here, I'm feeling brain dead.

If the roll covers 40 sq ft, and my chain link fence is 4ft tall and 60 ft long, how many rolls will I need?
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:54 pm
I doubt if a visual will stop the behavior. Dogs can sense and smell from very far away. They will run for the the unseen, too.

One for the Dog Whisperer, for sure.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:57 pm
Ikea thing is running length of 98 inches = about 8 feet. by 32" high.

Get 8 units to cover your 60 running feet of fence.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:13 pm
@Bella Dea,
I'm pretty sure it's genetic, Bella. Maybe only to certain breeds, but I think you are going to lose this one.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:14 pm
@Bella Dea,
How much exercise are the dogs getting each day?
chai2

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:18 pm
If the problem is the dogs are getting muddy and the grass is worn away, that's what you can deal with.

You can buy cement squares at home depot, like 18" by 18". They make them in a reddish color as well as the concrete gray.

put a line or 2 of them down for the dogs to run on.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:39 pm
A gravel "moat" will also work to get rid of the mud problem and is very cheap. Not pretty, but dog runs rarely are. This behavior is almost impossible to stop once it has become a pattern, especially with two dogs acting as a pack. I agree just blocking their vision is not going to end it, they can still smell and hear, but it might help a little. Before investing big just buy some cheap tarps at the hardware store to attach to the fence and see if they make a difference in how the dogs react.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:42 pm
Quick addition - Yelling might work with primates, but it does not work with canines to change behavior. When the dogs start doing this behavior try spraying them with a hose to get their attention. When they look at you tell them "no!". Boxes tend not to like water.
chai2

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:50 pm
I was thinking gravel might cut up their tootsies.
mismi

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 03:01 pm
@chai2,
nah...those paws are tough...and if it did - maybe they wouldn't track up the fence line.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 05:09 pm
I like the gravel idea. When we specified gravel for paths, we were particular about sharp stone, as it packs better - but for this situation I'd pick regular pea gravel, it's "mushier".
0 Replies

Always Eleven to him

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:39 pm
@Bella Dea,
And then there's always my solution -- carpet remnants along the path from outside the house to inside the house, a good vacuum cleaner, a good steam carpet cleaner, a good mop for the vinyl flooring, and a blind eye to the muddy paw prints . . . at least until company comes over.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 06:51 am
@Green Witch,
Except for mine. LOL Bailey LOVES water and jumps into the hose.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 06:53 am
@ehBeth,
I'll admit that this is part of the problem. Some days they get enough others I know they don't.