Oddities and Humor

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 06:49 am
I meant to say 'sammich', of course.
Letty

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 09:18 am
@edgarblythe,
Funny, edgar. I still have to watch what I eat and make certain there are no pantry weevils hidden there.

Another oddity.

Monet:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/29/article-1247154-01314E04000004B0-204_468x551.jpg

LOS ANGELES (AP) A Florida man has pleaded not guilty to defrauding a Los Angeles art collector out of more than $2 million by selling him forgeries of the work of Claude Monet, Vincent van Gogh and Jackson Pollock.

Matthew Taylor of Vero Beach entered the plea Monday in a Los Angeles federal court to seven felony counts, including wire fraud and money laundering.

He is scheduled to go to trial April 3.

Prosecutors say the 43-year-old former art dealer is accused of altering paintings from unknown artists to make them appear to be from their famous counterparts, then selling the bogus pieces at sky-high prices.

Authorities say he also placed fake labels on the artwork to claim they were once part of prestigious collections at museums like the Guggenheim in New York.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 02:12 pm
Sorry Ladies, Naked Yoga in Brooklyn Is for Guys Only
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/03/naked-yoga-park-slope-brooklyn-guys-only.html?mid=380737&rid=422483811
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 07:06 pm
By Cari Nierenberg
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/120313-Sultan-Kosen.380;380;7;70.jpg
For three years in a row, Sultan Kosen has been named the world's tallest living man by Guinness World Records. Interestingly, he's earned this lofty distinction at three different heights. Even more fascinating, in the last three months, the 29-year-old Turkish man has only recently stopped growing thanks to receiving state-of-the-art treatment in the U.S.

Kosen first entered the record books at 8 feet 1 inch; at his next measurement, he was listed as 8 feet 2 inches, and now he's achieved his ultimate adult height at 8 feet 3 inches. He's also in the record books for having the largest hands (11.22 inches) and largest feet (14.4 inches).

Advertise | AdChoicesKosen's extraordinary stature is a result of gigantism. He developed a pituitary tumor as a child, which caused his pituitary gland to produce an excessive amount of growth hormone.

"That tumor is not cancerous and it is not a brain tumor," says Dr. Mary Lee Vance, an endocrinologist at the University of Virginia Health System in Charlottesville, Va. "A spontaneous mutation causes the tumor, and it's not hereditary," she explains. Kosen's parents and siblings are all average height.

Vance first learned of Kosen's case and first saw him as a patient in the spring of 2010. The Discovery Channel was doing a show on Kosen as the "World's Tallest Man," and Vance, as an expert in pituitary tumors, was asked to appear on it.

She put Kosen on a new medication (he was already taking two others) to try to bring down his growth hormone levels to a normal range. But medication alone would not be enough, so Vance consulted with a neurosurgeon to explore other options.

Although his pituitary tumor was diagnosed when Kosen was 10 years old, efforts in his native Turkey and elsewhere in Europe to stop the tumor's growth were unsuccessful. He had three prior surgeries attempting to remove the tumor as well as radiation treatment, but Kosen kept growing and growing.

Irishk

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 10:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Is it wrong that I laughed??? Smile (I'll say three Hail Marys and sin no more...maybe lol).

Mayor of Small Italian Town Orders Residents Not to Die

By NewsCore
FALCIANO DEL MASSICO, Italy - The mayor of a small town in southern Italy has forbidden residents to die, because there is no cemetery for them to buried in.

Giulio Cesare Fava, the mayor of Falciano del Massico, located about 30 miles (50 kilometers) north of Naples, southern Italy, issued the order earlier this month stating, "it is forbidden for residents ... to go beyond the boundaries of earthly life, to go into to the afterlife."
So far only two residents have disobeyed the edict, La Stampa daily reported, with two recorded deaths since March 5.

The unusual order follows a dispute with a neighboring town, which has owned the old cemetery since local boundaries were redrawn in 1964. The two communities disagree about a planned expansion of the site, so Fava pulled out of the project and decided to build a new cemetery for Falciano del Massico's living 4,000 residents.

But until he gains the right permits and builds the new final resting place, the townsfolk have been ordered to keep on living.
Letty

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 10:03 am
@Irishk,
Funny, Irish.

Another oddity replete with humor.

BREMEN, Germany (Reuters) - German architect Rainer Mielke lives in a luxurious, light-filled penthouse atop a Nazi bunker that his elderly neighbors remember sheltering in during World War Two.

The architect has pioneered the art of converting the grim structures into bright living or working spaces, and his work is set to increase as Germany ramps up sales of the above-ground forts, originally designed as air-raid shelters.

"At the beginning, the authorities thought I was a bit daft," said Mielke, who spent six years in the 1990s begging the property office in the northern city of Bremen to let him buy the bunker he now lives in.

"They didn't think anyone would really want to live in a bunker."

Now, the humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AQayAz02Ys&feature=related
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 04:45 pm
If his name was Archie, it would be Archie's Bunker.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 04:15 pm
Texas authorities announced last month that they had recovered the remains of Jose Ramirez seven years after he went missing. But as the investigation is renewed, they add there is now reason to believe the soldier was killed for being an atheist.

Law enforcement in Clay County, Texas arrested 30-year-old Justin Green for the murder of Ramirez only earlier this year for a crime they suspect to have occurred back in 2007. As investigators try to find a motive for the alleged murderer's actions, they’ve ended up speaking with a handful of associates also accused of aiding in the homicide. While details on the death and the reasoning for why it was carried out are still vague, one of those close the matter believe Green gunned down Ramirez for his lack of faith.

Brittany Jan Green, Justin Green’s sister, was arrested last month after being linked to the crime scene where authorities believe her brother to have committed the murder. In speaking with investigators, Brittany Green attested that her brother was indeed the culprit that pulled the trigger and he also enlisted her assistance in burying the body. When asked to explain why her brother brought Ramirez’s life to an end, though, Brittany says sibling blamed it on the religious beliefs of the victim.

“Brittany Green advised that Justin Green came to Brittany’s apartment and told Brittany…that he had shot Ramirez two times because Ramirez did not believe in God,” reads the complaint, citing what the witness revealed during an interrogation earlier this year on February 9.

The Associated Press was quick to cover the story earlier this week when authorities identified the remains of the US Army soldier five years after they believe he was murdered — and seven years after he went missing — but focused their heavily relayed report on the missing person breakthrough, not on the motivation for the killing. Not much else is known at this point about the case, but Justin Green was apprehended and put in jail unable to post bond of $1 million; he will see a day in court next week.

When Justin Green goes before a jury, he is expected to be asked about what his sister says was the motivation for the murder. At that point, investigators will see just how religious the alleged murderer is himself. His sister says they used the deceased soldier’s credit card to order pizza after they disposed of the body, and while the Ten Commandments does condemn theft, it isn’t as high up on the list as the “do not murder” provision.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 06:16 am
Man Reunited With Family After 25 Years Thanks To Google Earth
www.huffingtonpost.com
An Indian man who lost his family while begging as a child has been reunited with them after more than two decades -- after spotting his home village on Google Earth, the Mercury reports. Twenty five years ago, Saroo Brierly was begging at a railway station in Khandwa, India.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 05:24 am
I saw a photo of a moose on facebook a few minutes back. It was tangled in a power line as high off the ground as the top of telephone poles. They rescued it, still alive, but somewhat pissed. Seems the power company was running new lines. When they pulled from a mile or so up the way, they noticed a drag on the line and went back to discover they had caught themselves the full grown moose.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 04:22 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Quiz: Is This a Potbelly Pig or Your Witholding Boyfriend?

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/03/quiz-is-this-a-potbelly-pig-or-your-witholding-boyfriend.html?mid=380876&rid=422483811
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 10:46 am
@tsarstepan,
Etch A Sketch maker happy to be back in spotlight, sends boxes of toys to candidates

Ohio Art Co., maker of the classic baby boomer toy, is sending a big box of Etch A Sketches to the presidential campaigns to say thanks for the publicity and a boost in sales.
http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/Latest-News-Wires/2012/0323/Etch-A-Sketch-maker-happy-to-be-back-in-spotlight-sends-boxes-of-toys-to-candidates
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 08:28 pm
A resident at the nursing home where my mother in law resides has one arm and one leg. You may be able to guess where I am going with this after I mention he is from Louisiana. Running a trout line, he pulled up a gator that wanted some fish. He shot it and it rolled over in the water. Without waiting to know if he actually killed it, he resumed getting the trout line up. Somehow the gator got into his boat and very quickly took off and ingested his arm and leg. A nearby fellow fisher got the gator with a forty millimeter. They were able to get him wrapped in something that kept him from bleeding to death and a helicopter took him to a hospital. His friends call him Gator. Perhaps his enemies too?
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 08:42 pm
old farmer - why always a farmer ? - went to see his doctor .
f : " every morning at 6 i have a bowel movement " .
d : " you should be happy - many people aren't so lucky .
i don't understand what you are complaining about " .
f - after hemming and hawing for a minute : " well i don't get up before 8 " .

Rolling Eyes Shocked Cool

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 08:48 am
Christians Pay Sick Atheist's Medical Bills
www.huffingtonpost.com
A Texas atheist who earlier this year fought to ban religious symbols on government property in his town is reportedly "flabbergasted" that Christians have offered to help him pay his bills.
Irishk

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 09:19 am
@edgarblythe,
Have you seen this one?
Nokia Patents a Tattoo That Vibrates When Someone Calls You

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/tattoo.jpg

Is there such a thing as being too connected???
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 11:34 am
@Irishk,
I had seen a headline, without reading the story.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 01:08 pm
@Irishk,
There certainly is such a thing as bring too tattooed. That starts as one.
Irishk

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 04:19 pm
@JTT,
Not sure why that particular graphic was chosen. I wondered if his whole arm vibrates when someone calls him lol.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 08:48 am
@Irishk,
http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2012/03/29/ba-jewels30_PH_SFC0108628422_part6.jpg

Oakland 6th-graders find treasure in Lake Merritt

Vivian Ho

Friday, March 30, 2012

Part of the article --

They weren't seeking sunken treasure, but that's what some sixth-graders from St. Paul's Episcopal School found Thursday submerged in a few feet of water in Oakland's Lake Merritt.

A student was scooping up trash with a long net from the shore near Grand and Harrison streets when she spotted two bags about the size of reusable grocery totes sitting in about 2 feet of water, said Richard Bailey, executive director of the Lake Merritt Institute.

The bags were heavy and she couldn't scoop them up, Bailey said, so he waded out in hip boots and pulled them to shore.

The canvas bags weighed about 15 pounds each and made a lot of clinking as they moved, Bailey said. The students, excited to see what sort of booty was inside, crowded around their find.

When they opened the bags, the group erupted in thrilled shrieks.

It was a real treasure: rings, necklaces, brooches, bracelets, candlesticks, coins, medallions and silverware filled each bag.

It was by far the most memorable discovery the group has made at the lake while helping to clean it as part of a weekly service learning and science project, school officials said. The school's sixth-grade students have worked at Lake Merritt once a week for about 15 years.
end/clip

0 Replies