Ideal A2K couples

plainoldme

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 09:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OK, here it is. I saw Goldfinger when it came out. I was about 12. I did not find Sean Connery attractive until sometime after he stopped playing Bond and stopped wearing that "Christmas CArol" wig. Christmas CArol was always the marshall of the J. L. Hudson Thanksgiving Day parade. She was known as the girl with the patent leather hair and Sean as James Bond aka "Dapper Dan" or the "Brylcream MAn" looked greasy to me.

Around the time he starred with Michael CAine in The Man Who Would be King, he became very attractive.

As for young Mr. Baker . . . I just don't like his face.

But mine is a not a female esthetics it is my individual response to a man. While there are features I hate, there are also features that must be there for a man to be attractive to me.

But, it is all individual. You did use the word agree. Perhaps, it was conversational.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 09:17 pm
@Ionus,
Beauty or handsomeness is in the eye of the beholder.
Ionus

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 09:58 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Beauty or handsomeness is in the eye of the beholder.
Yes, and our eyes have a lot in common.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 11:06 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
OK, here it is.
Thank u.

plainoldme wrote:
I saw Goldfinger when it came out. I was about 12. I did not find Sean Connery attractive until sometime after he stopped playing Bond and stopped wearing that "Christmas CArol" wig. Christmas CArol was always the marshall of the J. L. Hudson Thanksgiving Day parade. She was known as the girl with the patent leather hair and Sean as James Bond aka "Dapper Dan" or the "Brylcream MAn" looked greasy to me.
I guess that was a failure of Brylcream.
Remember: "Brylcream: a little dab 'll do ya.
Bylcream: u 'll look so debonair.
Brlycream: the girls 'll all persue ya; thay love to get their fingers in your hair."

plainoldme wrote:
Around the time he starred with Michael CAine in
The Man Who Would be King, he became very attractive.
Long ago, my cousin, Lucille (who was very pretty) said of a picture
of a very muscular body-builder weight lifter type man (of average n ordinary countenance):
"I coud never go for a man like that."
I was saddened to hear that,
considering myself far below the exemplified (and rejected) standard.
I thought: "if HE is not good enuf, then I 'd have no chance at all."

plainoldme wrote:
As for young Mr. Baker . . . I just don't like his face.
When I first saw his show, The Mentalist, I wondered how much better my life woud have been
if I had looked like that (before he was born). Admittedly, I 've had a good life, a comfortable life.
I just wondered how much better it woud have been, if I had a good face.

plainoldme wrote:
But mine is a not a female esthetics it is my individual response to a man.
While there are features I hate,
there are also features that must be there for a man to be attractive to me.
What features do u hate?
What features must be there?

plainoldme wrote:
But, it is all individual. You did use the word agree. Perhaps, it was conversational.
U had asked: "Why is it important that I agree on Sean and Simon?"
I responded that your agreement was not what I sought,
but rather your opinion, be it pro or con.
Your answer generously provided me with the requested information.

David
plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 07:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
While weight-lifting is more popular now and the look weight lifting produces is considered more attractive then it was during recent decades, many women are turned off by the heavily muscled look. I think most women dislike the artificiality of it . . . that for a man to spend that much time 'pumping up' implies a great deal of egotism on his part. When you and your cousin discussed the weight-lifter, he probably did not meet the standard of male beauty for many women.

There has been a shift toward a muscled look. A woman with prominent biceps would not have been considered attractive even as late as the 1980s but many female personalities flaunt bodies that are not just toned but muscular (Kelly Ripa). I personally think it is good to be trim but muscles on women are unattractive.

Speaking for myself, my standards are a bit softer now that reproduction is out of the question. As a college student, I would reject men who had features I did not want reproduced should we develop a relationship. In fact, a friend advised her 85 year old mother not to be so fussy about how a man looks because she won't have any more children. So, her mother accepted the advances of an 80 year old retired college prof!
spendius

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 08:55 am
@plainoldme,
It is a bit of a desperate situation being an 80 year old ex-college prof.

But POM, your analysis has only a limited applicability. The Alpha female chooses on the size of the pile of money. They leave the Betas and Gammas to dream up their own theories.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 09:48 am
@spendius,
That isn't nice. I would say according to your theory that the Alpha female is really a Delta.
spendius

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 11:32 am
@plainoldme,
I'm a scientist POM. I don't do "nice". I just observe the facts.

I once asked a "looker" why she ditched the sweetheart of her schooldays. "He only had a bike", she replied. A true Darwinian. Not that she knew that mind you. She had probably never heard of Darwin. Nor needed to have had.

It's only these quasi-scientific males who discovered something new in Darwin. Possibly they had a sheltered upbringing within the cocoon of the "dating" system.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:00 pm
@spendius,
You're representing yourself as having gone from one example to the many.

I would suggest that some good looking people . . . whether male or female . . . are spoiled. Indulged by their parents and pardoned by teachers and given leeway by their employers, they sometimes don't develop character.

On the other hand, there was a Detroit television personality who had men following her everywhere. She married a very nerdy, very brainy scientist (I never met him) who she pursued. Like a lot of women, she loved nerds. She was also in her 20s and thinking of future children.
aidan

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:25 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
I would suggest that some good looking people . . . whether male or female . . . are spoiled. Indulged by their parents and pardoned by teachers and given leeway by their employers, they sometimes don't develop character.
You know what - I think that's bull.
I think that's just what people tell themselves to make themselves feel better. And I know all the studies that have been done about good-looking people as opposed to less attractive people and how they are treated differently- but as per my experience as a high school teacher - I just don't buy it.

I was teaching in one class and there was the classic blonde, long-limbed tanned cheerleader type and I had myself all prepared for her to be a ditz and shallow and mean-spirited and stupid (as per the stereotype) and she was LOVELY! She was my favorite student. And I kicked myself mentally for falling for that stereotype the whole time I was a teen-ager- believing that those girls were somehow different and/or automatically not as smart or not as nice as the less attractive girls.

I myself don't like men in tailored suits...if a guy spends more time in front of a mirror or on his clothes or appearance than I do - that's a turn-off- because it's not masculine.
Diane

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:45 pm
@dadpad,
Sweet DadPad, we aren't the king and queen of a2k, but we do have a lovely story regarding our meeting, one we never thought would happen to us. We were always of the opinion that it was something that happened to other people.

And it was the gutsiest thing I've ever done.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:51 pm
@Ionus,
Laughing....Ionus, on an April Fool's Day, I went up to Dys and said, "Bob!! I'm pregnant!!!"

He looked at me and rolled his eyes. He is now 65 and I'm 67 (Love those younger men).

There are plenty of rabbits here in New Mexico who take breeding quite seriously.

Thank you for your post. I do hope the first lump didn't do much damage.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:52 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Being attractive sure opens you doors faster and you have an advantage over
others, but you still needs to prove yourself in anything you do. Sometimes
even more, as the expectations are so much higher for attractive people as they
are for others.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:59 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
I myself don't like men in tailored suits...if a guy spends more time in front of a mirror or on his clothes
or appearance than I do - that's a turn-off- because it's not masculine.
My use of tailored suits has never occasioned my spending more time in front of any mirror.

David
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 01:49 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
You know what - I think that's bull.
I think that's just what people tell themselves to make themselves feel better. And I know all the studies that have been done about good-looking people as opposed to less attractive people and how they are treated differently- but as per my experience as a high school teacher - I just don't buy it.

I was teaching in one class and there was the classic blonde, long-limbed tanned cheerleader type and I had myself all prepared for her to be a ditz and shallow and mean-spirited and stupid (as per the stereotype) and she was LOVELY! She was my favorite student. And I kicked myself mentally for falling for that stereotype the whole time I was a teen-ager- believing that those girls were somehow different and/or automatically not as smart or not as nice as the less attractive girls.

I myself don't like men in tailored suits...if a guy spends more time in front of a mirror or on his clothes or appearance than I do - that's a turn-off- because it's not masculine.

She did say "some" people, not "all"

I too don't see what wearing a tailored suit has to do with spending more time in front of the mirror.

If it fits well, it might even mean you spend less time in front of the mirror, as you don't have to adust it or fuss with it.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 01:55 pm
@CalamityJane,
Sometimes they are. Sometimes not. Meryl Streep told a story about how, when she was making She Devil for which she wore fake nails and amplified her hair with wigs, when she walked on to the set made up, the men in the crew would fall all over themselves to help her while when she came to work before make up they would slam doors on her. Of course, her rhetoric was exaggerated but I have had similar things happen to me . . . men respond so much more positively to a dress and makeup than to jeans and a sweater!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 01:56 pm
@chai2,
Thanks!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 01:59 pm
@chai2,
well, it takes more time in front of the mirror at the tailor's.

It takes quite a lot of time to measure and fit a custom-made suit. And usually guys who get their suits custom-made also have their shirts custom-made and their ties and then their shoes - and it pretty much goes on from there.

If you want that sort of thing - go for it. I've seen what it means and costs and I'd rather have an off-the -rack sort of guy.

To each his own- that's what I always say.

And I'll never judge anyone by 'some' or 'most' again...I've learned to take people one at a time, because as CJ mentioned - sometimes good looks give other people an excuse and/or licence to automatically make assumptions or think more harshly of people than they would otherwise.

Again - that's only what I've learned in my experience - you may have learned differently - and that's okay.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 02:03 pm
@aidan,
Doesn't every high school have beautiful as well as homely honor students?

But there are times when beauty does open doors. And the opening of those doors isn't always good for those approaching them. I had a student whose psychologist refused to accept what a conniver she was because she was "just the cutest thing." The kid finally had to leave school because she twisted everyone around her pinky.

As I said to David, my idea of looks is just my idea. That you don't like men in tailored suits only supports the idea that it is all individual.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 02:04 pm
Perhaps the closest match on a2k is High Seas and Massagat.