What do A2k'ers sound like in your head?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 09:41 pm
I have talked with Walter several times in real life while he is speaking english. I have to really pay attention, and that is probably disconcerting for him, that I am staring at him. He talks relatively fast in english, while, I am supposing he is trying to slow down, but still fast for me, and I have to stare at him to get most of his words. Plus I miss things from hard-of-hearing-ness. Still, we pretty much communicate.

I did take german for a semester, and so what. Maybe that I am not afraid of the language, but.. alas, I don't know it.

I don't have a problem understanding Thomas, except when he murmurs, but that is true for me with everybody. Luckily, he is not often murmuring.

I had no problem at all understanding CJane, I don't even remember a second of huh?.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 09:42 pm
I remember thinking it was funny when Bi-Polar Bear posted that he felt intimidated after talking to Eva on the phone. I later met Eva at a gathering and I mentioned to her how Bear had characterized her. Eva felt that Bear had gotten the wrong impression.

To me, Eva sounds like the Dean of Women at a university. (I don't mean that in a bad way. Her voice has that kind of sophistication.)
dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 09:54 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I'm not tracking down videos, but your husband sounds like Robin Williams - except Robin doesn't talk so fast.

SETANTA really does sound like him...when he was still on speed!
dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 09:56 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Maybe we should all record ourselves reading a post or script and provide links. (Or maybe that would spoil the illusion.)

There used to be a link to me singing (NOT how I really sing) a Christmas greeting to A2k in the very early days posted by Robert somewhere.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 10:03 pm
@dlowan,
I goofed with a bunch of commas on my last posts.

However, I need to add I've no interest in signing up to sing on a2k.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 11:12 pm
@ossobuco,
boomerang wrote:

Roberta?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqPiJ0L7YmY[/youtube]

Boomer, I howled at this. (Still laughing.)

ossobuco wrote:

I've met Roberta a few times. She is normal for someone from the Bronx.

Howled at this too, osso. (Also still laughing.)

My voice is raspy and gravelly and occasionally not there. But my accent never fluctuates. Not quite as Noo Yawk as my parents or Linda Richman--but definitely Noo Yawk.

I've spoken with Deb. I remember her as sounding very mellifluous. Spoke with Izzie. Lively and light. Dys, not as western as I expected. Osso, normal as a goil from all over. Mac, gentle and relatively unaccented. Bethie, powerful and strong. Walter, definitely Goiman. Thomas, a lot less of an accent. He's got a fluid gentle voice and a good laugh. Joe Nation, I agree with the radio broadcaster analogy. Very strong and clear. Shewolf, lovely and lilting. Diane, a gorgeous gentle voice.

What do I imagine? Olga, light and gentle. dj, I'll go along with the Tom Hanks analogy. tsar, A Boston accent? reg, gentle baritone? Boomer, not booming but strong and energetic.

Roberta

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 11:21 pm
@Roberta,
PS: I haven't been to the Bronx in a long time, but I've been told that the deeper into the borough I get, the stronger my accent gets.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 11:38 pm
I think I've removed the mystery enough with me posting from my youtube channel vLogs.

Apparently, I ended up sounding like many A2kers thought. Ticomaya noted so specifically.

I guess I don't imagine poster's voices as much as I try to compose their expressions and non-verbals. Some posters I imagine carry a certain air of all-knowingness in their posts. I think that translates to the way in which we speak in person... perhaps.

T
K
O
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 02:05 am
@squinney,
Quote:
Oh, and Ms. Olga has a very up beat Felix voice without the sharpness. A feminine Felix with an Aussie accent, perhaps.

Close, squinney. Smile
I had to work a bit to develop a bit more of more of an Australian accent. I spoke very "proper" English, very properly, for years... something to do with being brought up in a non-English speaking household & not learning the language till primary school, I guess. For years I had one of those "can't quite put my finger on it" accents (or lack of) that defied pigeon-holing. Eventually I found there were certain advantages (like not having to explain where I came from all the time!) in going a bit more "Australian".

But the place I feel most Australian is here! I'm sure most of us Oz folk don't run around exclaiming "crikey!" or "g'day!" nearly so much in our normal lives. It's something to do with being in the minority here (though a vocal one!) , I think, which brings out more Oz in us! Smile

Now this is how I "hear" you, squinney. A deep, warm, sort of throaty voice. Very easy on the ear! I see you as being quite the verbal communicator.

So, did I come even close?
dadpad

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 02:12 am

Rockhead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNFsnZdn1Ho
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 02:14 am

Edgar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LCsiWL6gn0&feature=related
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 02:18 am
@Roberta,
Roberta, You are obviously the voice expert of A2K!

My goodness, who haven't you met? Whose voice haven't you heard? Obviously all paths lead to you. Which is really very nice, don't you think? Smile
dadpad

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 02:19 am

Dlowan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUETnIlbNpo&feature=related
msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 02:30 am
@dadpad,
Laughing

So far off the mark it's hilarious, you wicked person!

Fellow A2Kers, this man tells fibs! Very Happy
dadpad

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 03:18 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Laughing

So far off the mark it's hilarious, you wicked person!

Fellow A2Kers, this man tells fibs! Very Happy

Ok I'll try again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMwt-Dg7CEY&feature=related

Or maybe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjJuFqYnOuE
Roberta

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 03:47 am
@msolga,
I haven't met as many people as a lot of other folks. I've never heard your voice or boomer's or squinney's or rockhead's. I could go on and on and on.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 04:16 am
@dadpad,
NO!! It SHOULD sound like me because she is South Australian by origin...but her accent is very odd to my ears, and her voice is deeper.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 04:17 am
@dadpad,
Now you're just being horrible!!!!!
dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 04:18 am
@Roberta,
I love Boida's voice, even the harsher one. As for the laugh!!!! So New Yoik! So CLEVER!!!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 04:23 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Now you're just being horrible!!!!!

The Roo Formerly Known As Bunny? Do you speak Italian? If so then would this be appropriate?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQE4TdnRgU8&feature=related