May I see your papers, citizen?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 11:29 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Is it really a silly law ? Do the lander police in Germany have the right to verify the residence status of aliens? I believe they do: same goes for the local police in France.

Yes, when someone is arrested, both the police in France as well as in France check the residence of the suspect.
Which is quite easy in Germany, since the registration of residence and address is the very first paperwork task for everyone in Germany, be it a German or foreign resident.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 03:23 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Gee, I hate being forced to be literal all the time!

I would settle for you being rational all of the time.
Advocate

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:07 pm
POM, this forum is full of proud literalists. MM is the all-time champ (or chump).
DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 05:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I would settle for you being rational all of the time.

You go first.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 08:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I am rational . . . and logical
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:26 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
POM, this forum is full of proud literalists. MM is the all-time champ (or chump).
Meaning no disrespect to MM,
I can be as literal as he can.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:37 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I am rational . . . and logical
When u arrived a few months ago, I was hopeful that u might be a worthy adversary
for intellectual examination and debate of issues of controversy.
There are other leftists on this forum for whose minds I have respect.
I have told them so.

U have disappointed me; instead of offering logical argument,
u are satisfied to brandish naked emotions, unsupported with any factual reasoning,
such as that freedom lovers detest guns, apparently projecting your emotions.

That is not worthy argument; its like arguing with Gracie Allen.
I am considering whether or not to put u on Ignore; are u hopeless?
I am not sure whether or not u are ABLE to argue logically, Plain.
U do not appear to be willing to do it; in any case, u don't DO it.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 11:42 pm
Quote:

With just a week remaining before Arizona’s stringent new immigration law is set to take effect, a federal judge in Phoenix heard, for the first time, from Obama administration lawyers urging her to strike down the controversial legislation while dozens of demonstrators argued both sides outside the courthouse.
As Judge Bolton questioned the federal government’s counsel, she expressed skepticism that the state was indeed carrying out its own immigration enforcement policy. She asked several times whether the statute would actually take the decision about what to do with an illegal immigrant away from federal authorities.

“How does it become immigration enforcement policy? It’s an immigration status check,” she said. “Arizona cannot remove anybody, and they don’t purport they can.”

Her comments during the hearing, along with those she made during a hearing in the morning on another suit brought by civil rights groups, suggested she is likely to rule on whether certain parts of the law are pre-empted by federal law, rather than striking down the entire law.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/23/us/23arizona.html?hp

a good day.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:57 am
If we simply translate this video into Spanish and show it daily on Mexican television for a week, no Mexican would want to come to America:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brazdQANgYs
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 03:56 pm
@plainoldme,
Just read an article in the Sunday times that suggests that enough of the Left-wing hyperbole has crossed the border that Mexicans contemplating illegal entry are thinking twice about sneaking into Arizona.

Mission Accomplished!

On behalf of Arizonians, thanks for your help.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 12:56 pm
Federal Judge Blocks Portions of Arizona Illegal Immigration Law

Quote:
A federal judge on Wednesday blocked some of the toughest provisions in the Arizona illegal immigration law, putting on hold the state's attempt to have local police enforce federal immigration policy.

Though the rest of the law is still set to go into effect Thursday, the partial injunction on SB 1070 means Arizona, for the time being, will not be able to require police officers to determine the immigration status of anyone they stop or arrest.

U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton also struck down the section of law that makes it a crime not to carry immigration registration papers and the provision that makes it a crime for an illegal immigrant to seek or perform work.

revelette

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 01:07 pm
@DrewDad,
good
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 01:38 pm
@DrewDad,
How odd. I thought federal law required that immigration documents be required to be carried at all times, anyway. Maybe they didn't really mean it.
ABE5177

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 02:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
even some oth the time would be good real good
forget it
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 02:16 pm
@roger,
Yes, but it would not be any old police officer who would be stopping anyone they consider to be reasonably suspicious asking for documents. The way they had it set up was too vague and it mostly left the bases for stopping someone up to the police officer. It was both an encroachment on the federal level of responsibilities and just ill thought out and I am glad that at least for tonight most of the bad parts were struck down.

To get an example of the kind of people we are dealing with:

Quote:
At the centre of the billowing dispute stands Joe Arpaio, the sheriff of Maricopa County, which covers Phoenix, the state capital. Over the last three years he has pioneered many of the policies that have now been extended statewide under SB 1070, including organising regular raids by state troopers on factories and housing developments in which undocumented Hispanic immigrants are rounded up to be deported.

Underlining his willingness to court controversy, Arpaio promised to go ahead tomorrow with a planned raid involving 200 officers and volunteers. Before the judgment, he vowed to press ahead with the action even if the federal court decided to postpone the new immigration law.

"I hope when cops come across people who are here illegally, they will arrest them. I can put up more tents, I have plenty of room," he told ABC News, referring to the notorious "tent city" which he uses as an ad hoc prison.

Arpaio also threatened to come down hard on any protesters who got in the way of his tough policies, such as the feminist campaign Code Pink, which has called for the main jail in Phoenix to be picketed. "If anyone wants to block my jails they can have a little trip into the jails. We are not going to put up with any civil disobedience," Arpaio said.

source
dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 02:19 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

How odd. I thought federal law required that immigration documents be required to be carried at all times, anyway. Maybe they didn't really mean it.
yes, and no. I don't carry immigration documents and neither do you.
roger

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 02:29 pm
@dyslexia,
I suppose I should have specified the requirement applied to legal aliens.
roger

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 02:33 pm
@revelette,
Fair comment about Joe Arpaio. It was on account of that particular mindset that I did have qualms about the law. I'm not sure your quoted article should have said 'state troopers'. They aren't usually that responsive to county sheriffs.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 02:33 pm
@roger,
yeah, it is relevant.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 04:30 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Is it really a silly law ? Do the lander police in Germany have the right to verify the residence status of aliens? I believe they do: same goes for the local police in France.

Under German federal law, state police officers have the right to verify the residence status of alienes. But states don't get to make their own laws on how and when to do this, and what punishments to impose for breaking federal immigration law. That power belongs to the federal government.
0 Replies