War against food choices moving into high gear

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 06:36 pm
if you find your food not tasting as good as it once did do not assume that your taste buds are dying of old age....the food nazi's are in cahoots with the manufacturers to try to trick you into eating less salt, which they have decided is bad for you.
Quote:

Sara Lee Corp. recently trumpeted in a public statement its commitment to cutting salt levels in myriad food products by an average of 20 percent over the next five years.

Ball Park franks, Jimmy Dean frozen breakfast meals, even Sara Lee-brand bread - the company will give them all a serious sodium-economy.

Packaged-food giants ConAgra Foods and Unilever have made similar public proclamations over the past year about big salt reductions. They've all come at a time when food-makers are increasingly being pressured by health advocacy groups to cut back on sodium.

But walk the grocery aisles and those corporate messages about salt reductions are still drowned out on product labels by the same old shouts of "less fat" or "fewer calories." And don't expect to see a blizzard of less-salt marketing messages anytime soon.

While corporate declarations of a salt diet put critics on notice that food companies take the issue seriously, the Sara Lees of the world don't want to remind you too frequently in supermarkets that they're gradually reducing salt. Sometimes they'd rather practice stealth health, for fear of driving away customers who worry about taste.

"Companies are scared of making low-sodium claims," said Krista Faron, an analyst at market researcher Mintel International.

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/lif/2010/03/28-52/Food-makers-are-reducing-salt-content-but-they-may-not-want-you-to-know-about-it.html

People know through life experience that low salt is a major cause of low taste. Some of us also know that only sometimes can this bastardization of our food be fixed with the salt shaker...a lot of time putting salt on after the fact can not recreate the taste of the product being done right the first time.

Caviot: there are some products that have way too much salt. However, the food nazis are trying to get all products reduced of salt. You'll be wanting to keep the shaker handy
firefly

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 06:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
The problem is really calorie intake. If you take in more calories than your body can burn up, regardless of the source of the calories, whether from fat, or carbs, or protein, you will start to gain weight.

People should know what their daily calorie intake should be for a person of their sex, age, and activity level. Then, if they keep track of their calorie intake, and try not to go over a certain limit each day, they won't get fat, regardless of what they they eating.

Trying to eat a healthy diet, however, is a different matter than just trying to control weight gain.

I not only try to keep some track of the calories I'm eating, I also watch my intake of fat, sugar and salt. Foods high in fat are also higher in calories. If I can eat only about 1200-1500 calories a day, to maintain my weight, I'm not going to blow half of it by eating a piece of cheesecake. I think of spending my daily calories the way I think of spending money from my checking account--I don't spend more than I have (go over my calorie limit), and I want value for my buck (I want as good nutrition as possible from those alloted calories, and I don't want to feel hungry). So I try to make smart choices. I buy whole grains, eat as many veggies and fruit as I can, eat more chicken and fish than meat, avoid fried foods, have reduced fat dairy products, etc. This has been a way of life for me for years. It's a lot easier than most of the reducing diets I went on earlier in my life. If I can avoid gaining weight, it's easier than taking it off later.

Mainly I think about whatever I put in my mouth and avoid mindless eating, and I try to make everything I eat something that tastes really good to me. If I really want a cookie rather than an orange, I'll have the cookie, as long as it's about the same calories as the orange. That automatically limits the size and type of the cookie. Smile If I want potato chips, I'll buy the baked potato chips, rather than the fried, and eat a reasonable amount, and take the salt and calorie count into consideration. If I want some ice cream, I have the light ice cream. Because I'm keeping an eye on calories, portion control really takes care of itself, as long as I maintain some semblance of self discipline. I read all food labels before I buy anything.

I think the real problem is eating out. I wish all restaurants had calorie counts on the menu. I can estimate it in my mind, but that's just a guess. When I do eat out, I try to avoid the high fat items (because they are higher in calories), and I'll try to consume fewer calories the next day.

The key is moderation, and some self control, as well as thinking about what you are eating.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 06:59 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
I think the real problem is eating out. I wish all restaurants had calorie counts on the menu. I can estimate it in my mind, but that's just a guess. When I do eat out, I try to avoid the high fat items (because they are higher in calories), and I'll try to consume fewer calories the next day
they will, the health insurance reform bill has any chain with 20 or more outlets must put calorie counts on paper menus, electronic menus, and drive up menus.
This is clutter to me. Having the counts posted online and on the wall in each restaurant was fine. The goal here is not to make information available, it is to force you to notice each time you buy in the hopes that high calorie/high fat choices will sell more poorly then they have. Pretty soon they are going to make us sign a liability waiver for the stuff we are told we should not eat. This has gotten too heavy handed for my blood. I was never a fan of Big Brother government, nor the nanny state.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10, taking some of the salt out of food, particularly canned food, does not always significantly alter the taste, or make it less appealing.

Canned soups, for instance, have always been extremely high in salt. But now Campbells and Progresso have brought out reduced sodium soups that are very good--with no discernible loss of taste that I can detect. And Campbells runs commercials all the time proudly touting the fact they have taken some of the salt out of their soups. These aren't low salt products, but they are a big improvement salt-wise over the regular varieties.

No salt would destroy the flavor of a lot of foods, but you can reduce the salt and not notice it too much. If you compare jars of tomato sauces for pasta, there can be considerable variation in salt content from brand to brand, and the one with the highest salt content is not necessarily the best tasting, because it depends on the balance of other seasonings.

I'm glad the food nazis are pushing for lower salt. I'm glad they pushed for elimination of trans-fats too. The food companies won't do these things without pressure, any more than the auto makers wanted to put seat belts into cars.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:06 pm
@firefly,
Quote:

hawkeye10, taking some of the salt out of food, particularly canned food, does not always significantly alter the taste, or make it less appealing

true, but all my life I rarely used a salt shaker, or picked up those tiny paks of salt at fast food places, but increasingly I am now.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:07 pm
i never add salt to anything

ever

even if a recipe calls for it

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 09:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Until then, eat what you like in moderation, exercise, and eat a well rounded diet.
Cant argue with that.

We are born with instincts that tell us how much and of what to eat. The first hurdle for keeping this instinct intact is being told too eat everything on your plate. The second hurdle is peer group/advertising for foods that are very rare naturally so you are already inclined to eat too much of these anyway, courtesy of efficient farming.

If your instincts survive they will tell you what to eat and combined with exercise you should do quite well. Bear in mind that no matter what you do, your health will have a tendency to fail once past 60 anyway. Then you are dead and there is no expert that can stop that.
farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 06:01 am
@Ionus,
nybody messes with my rights to barbcue better come heavy.
Ionus

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 06:11 am
@farmerman,
This involves a very old argument. Is it better to have two days in a hospital or one day playing in the fresh air and sunshine ? No matter what you will die...better to die with a smile and annoy the hell out of the mortician.
djjd62

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 06:15 am
@Ionus,
i never smile

ever

even if the recipe calls for it
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:44 am
@hawkeye10,
You need fat to dissolve, digest and absorb certain vitamins. I have always sauteed in olive oil to which I added a little butter. Julia Child gave me that idea: flavor mixed with good cholesterol and a higher burning point. In fact, Julia once said in an interview that people need to eat all of the nutrients, just eat them in small or smaller quantities. She then cited the people who shop at a then popular health food store in Cambridge, who buy vitamins but who look drawn with pale skin.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:56 am
I have never had a taste for salt and always used it sparingly.

I think that some of those fat people out there want to be fat. My daughter went to college with a girl who made it her goal to become a large woman. She openly said instead of the famous freshman 15, she was going to gain the freshman 50.

I worked with two women who complained about their weight constantly. They had gained 100 and 80 pounds respectively since their high school graduations. The one who had gained 100 may have been in her 40s when we had the conversation about weight. She was single and I think she consoled herself by baking cakes, which she did constantly. Granted, she had a gift for baking but she was only 5 feet tall. The other was a manager, then in her mid-50s, who started her job at about 30 pounds over what may have been her graduation weight but who literally swelled within about 18 months after her promotion. Her problem seemed to have been a lack of hands on management. Her predecessor was in each of the stores in his territory at least once a week, waiting on customers, talking to employees and even putting up stock. She 'managed' from her home, calling the individual store managers. If you spend your day in your pajamas and never leave your house, chances are you will pack on the pounds.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 12:21 pm
@ossobuco,
I found that article re some history re fat avoidance -
http://www.slate.com/id/2248754/pagenum/all/
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 12:42 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
I think that some of those fat people out there want to be fat

plainoldme, I don't think that's a fair remark. The reasons we have so much obesity now are complex, but I think very few people actually want to be fat or are even unconcerned about their excess weight. Unfortunately, it's much easier to pack on the pounds than to take them off, and old eating habits die hard.

Many states are now considering taxing sodas and sugary fruit drinks, ostensibly in an attempt to curb obesity. Doing this would also generate revenue for cash strapped states, although they claim that is not the main incentive for such taxes.
Quote:

Tax soda, pizza to cut obesity, researchers say

CHICAGO (Reuters) - U.S. researchers estimate that an 18 percent tax on pizza and soda can push down U.S. adults' calorie intake enough to lower their average weight by 5 pounds (2 kg) per year.

The researchers, writing in the journal Archives of Internal Medicine on Monday, suggested taxing could be used as a weapon in the fight against obesity, which costs the United States an estimated $147 billion a year in health costs.

"While such policies will not solve the obesity epidemic in its entirety and may face considerable opposition from food manufacturers and sellers, they could prove an important strategy to address overconsumption, help reduce energy intake and potentially aid in weight loss and reduced rates of diabetes among U.S. adults," wrote the team led by Kiyah Duffey of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

With two-thirds of Americans either overweight or obese, policymakers are increasingly looking at taxing as a way to address obesity on a population level.

California and Philadelphia have introduced legislation to tax soft drinks to try to limit consumption.

CDC director Dr. Thomas Frieden supports taxes on soft drinks, as does the American Heart Association.

There are early signs that such a policy works.

Duffey's team analyzed the diets and health of 5,115 young adults aged age 18 to 30 from 1985 to 2006.

They compared data on food prices during the same time. Over a 20-year period, a 10 percent increase in cost was linked with a 7 percent decrease in the amount of calories consumed from soda and a 12 percent decrease in calories consumed from pizza.

The team estimates that an 18 percent tax on these foods could cut daily intake by 56 calories per person, resulting in a weight loss of 5 pounds (2 kg) per person per year.

"Our findings suggest that national, state or local policies to alter the price of less healthful foods and beverages may be one possible mechanism for steering U.S. adults toward a more healthful diet," Duffey and colleagues wrote.

In a commentary, Drs. Mitchell Katz and Rajiv Bhatia of the San Francisco Department of Public Health said taxes are an appropriate way to correct a market that favors unhealthy food choices over healthier options.

They argued that the U.S. government should carefully consider food subsidies that contribute to the problem.

"Sadly, we are currently subsidizing the wrong things including the product of corn, which makes the corn syrup in sweetened beverages so inexpensive," they wrote.

Instead, they argued that agricultural subsidies should be used to make healthful foods such as locally grown vegetables, fruits and whole grains less expensive.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6275T720100308

I don't really think that taxing these items would affect obesity in any significant way. Not that many people may be consuming these items on a daily basis, so you wouldn't be altering their daily calorie intake significantly. But, by taxing these items you will likely reduce general overall consumption, particularly among poorer groups who cannot afford the increased cost. It would also affect the small business owners in poorer neighbors who sell these items, and that's not a particularly desirable effect. In balance, I can't see why you should introduce these taxes, except as a way to generate income for the state.

I don't understand why pizza should be considered in the same category as soda. Pizza, plain cheese pizza, is a nutritious food, it is not junk. In my neighborhood I can even get pizza on whole wheat crust made with low fat cheese. It is mainly when pizza has fat laden meats as toppings that it becomes high in calories and more unhealthy, but it's still not junk, it does have nutritional value. I think it is a very slippery slope when you start arbitrarily taxing food, and I'd be against doing this.

I do think it would be better if people, particularly children, consumed less soda and nutritionally empty sugary fruit drinks. I think they should have no soda machines in schools. But people would be better off consuming less candy too. Why tax soda but not candy bars? Let them increase the bottle deposit charge, if they want to raise state revenue, but I think taxing, as a means to curb obesity, is a waste of time.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 12:48 pm
Soda soda soda! It's terrible.

http://www.boston.com/news/health/articles/2010/03/29/high_fructose_corn_syrup_fuels_obesity_in_rats/

Quote:
Bartley Hoebel and his colleagues offered rats unlimited rat chow and either high-fructose corn syrup diluted in water at half the strength found in soft drinks, or sucrose in water at the same level found in soft drinks. In the first experiment, after eight weeks, the rats with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained significantly more weight than rats with access to sucrose. In the second experiment, the rats were followed for six months: The rats that had high-fructose corn syrup gained much more weight, added more abdominal fat, and had higher levels of triglycerides in their blood compared with rats that drank sucrose-sweetened water.

Rats who consume high fructose corn syrup get MUCH fatter then rats who have an equal amount of calories and sugar in other forms.

Hell, keep soda- whatever - just get rid of HFCS. Even Mexico doesn't allow the stuff!

Cycloptchorn
firefly

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 12:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn, then perhaps they should do something about controlling or eliminating the amount of high fructose corn syrup that is added to foods and drinks, the way they have tried to control trans-fats.

But is soda made with plain sugar really that much of an improvement? Should soda be taxed? Would that really help to curb obesity?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 01:08 pm
I hope people look at that Slate link - it's very interesting with new information - to me - re different types of LDL cholesterol and the import, or lack of it, of those types. Plus, some other surprising-to-me study results.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 01:11 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

But is soda made with plain sugar really that much of an improvement? Should soda be taxed? Would that really help to curb obesity?

Yes, it's an improvement!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 01:43 pm
FF - I think you underestimate the amount of sodas people drink. According the Nestle website, Americans drink 47 gallons of soda per capita per year (bottled water is next at 28.5 gallons).

Chew on this " US soda consumption
November 9, 2007
“The United States ranks first among countries in soft drink consumption. The per-capita consumption of soft drinks is in excess of 150 quarts per year, or about three quarts per week.”James A Howenstine M.D.
A Physician’s Guide to Natural Health Products That Work

The United States, with less than 5 percent of the world’s population, is the largest soda consumer and accounted for one third of total soda consumption in 1999. The 58 billion liters sold there (2000) generated $48 billion dollars in revenue for the soda industry.

“The relationship between soft drink consumption and body weight is so strong that researchers calculate that for each additional soda consumed, the risk of obesity increases 1.6 times.”

“Adolescents who consume soft drinks display a risk of bone fractures three to four-fold higher than those who do not.”

“Sugar and acid in soft drinks easily dissolve tooth enamel.”

“Americans drink 13.15 billion gallons of carbonated drinks every year.”
The doctor speaking in these dialogs is, Dr. McCay, the nutritionist at the Naval Medical Research Institute.

Check out this site: http://www.killercoke.org/realmoneyfeb.htm
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 01:56 pm
@Mame,
Have any of you people heard that the soda business has been in the dump for years? Both Coke and Pepsi have been busy buying up non soda businesses because they know the future. They have extensive surveys of the perception of soda, and they know that the young especially are never again going to drink the sugar water like their elders once did.

we have no use for a coercive soda tax. Put the club down and start thinking about getting on board the moderation band wagon.