It's customary.....

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:12 pm
Do you use the word "customary" for when your describing something that is a custom or is this mostly a American South word?

I know it's a real word but I'm wondering about usage.

If you don't use "customary" what do you say? "As is the custom"? "Typical"?

Just curious!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 2,916 • Replies: 29

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:17 pm
@boomerang,
usually

normally
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:22 pm
Eh... I'm more likely to say traditionally, or historically. But, I probably have used customary.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:24 pm
@littlek,
Usually
normally
traditionally
historically
often

I've certainly read 'it is customary' or, 'customarily'. Doubt I've used them. But, as Dys would say, I'm from California.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:29 pm
Huh.

I never thought of it as a regionalism but perhaps it is after all.

Interesting.
firefly

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 09:44 pm
@boomerang,
If I use the word "customary", it is not very often. It seems to be a somewhat dated or more formal word that I don't hear very often these days or even think of using . I'm probably more likely to use "typical", or "usual", or "conventional", or to say, "it is common practice to...", or "commonly", or, "it is traditional for...".

But, if I am specifically talking about cultural or religious customs, I might use the word "customary", because it would be more accurate in that context than simply saying "typical" or "usual". Societal and religious customs generally carry some pressure toward conformity by all members of a group. So, some behaviors aren't just "typical" or "usual", they are also expected by a group from all members, and using the word "customary" helps to capture that sense of a group norm. For instance, it isn't just "typical" that people stand when the national anthem is played, it's "customary" that they stand.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 09:45 pm
Ordinarily, i use customary . . .
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 09:59 pm
not usually , decidedly unaccustomed, nay never , akin to effabling the ineffable

my sow's ear clutch is de rigueur this season

0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:28 pm
In dialect....mostdatime....or normlee.....would be my way of expressing this, in every day speech. I don't think I've ever said customary.

I know your not asking for this but......when I'm speaking to someone that hails from a more northern latitude than myself, and I spit out a word or phrase, such as my two examples, but of course not limited to just these two....and the person has no idea what I said...I say the phrase word for word very clearly...."Most of the time"....or in syllable form...."nor-mal-ly".
Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:35 pm
Customarily, i say habitual . . .
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:38 pm
@2PacksAday,
Heh, ignore that Boomer....I read your question totally wrong, I thought you were asking....well i won't even try to explain it.

-----------

Yes customary.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:40 pm
Almost invariably, i say typically . . .
2PacksAday

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:52 pm
@Setanta,
Yeah typcially is another.

-----

I see what I did now, if you take the word "this" out of your first sentence....it looked to me as if you were asking how would we say....."In the south it's customary to say pop instead of soda".

or whichever southerners are supposed to say...I call it sodie.

Maybe I shouldn't have drank that whole bottle of cough syrup tonight.
Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:54 pm
As a matter of course, i say sodie pop . . .
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:55 pm
@2PacksAday,
red or green?

(did they card you? they customarily do, you know...)

i say sodah...
Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:56 pm
I'm agonna git me a rut beer an' go ta bed . . .
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:07 pm
@Rockhead,
Neither, was just josh'n.

But yeah there is a great deal of carding going on around here...it's helped...OK was one of the first states to do so and they have some impressive numbers on how well it's been working.

firefly

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:11 pm
@2PacksAday,
Do they customarily card you for a senior discount too?
2PacksAday

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:15 pm
@firefly,
Some of the clerks are ritualistic in their carding duties....but no, I have a baby face...an ugly baby, but a baby face none-the-less.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:29 pm
@boomerang,
I generally use 'customary' when I mean something is always done, or done in a certain way. About the same as 'traditionally'. I use 'generally' just to indicate that something is commonly done, or done in a certain a certain way.