What is causing my allergy/is it an allergy?

Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 08:15 am
I’ve been having this “skin” issue for several months. My forehead and some other spots on my cheeks are red, dry itchy " and looks likes hives. These eruptions having been going on over the past several months and comes and goes quite frequently.

I did see my dermatologist in December. And he thought it was hives caused by some sort of allergy " most likely from my shampoo. He told me that shampoo companies frequently change their chemicals so it doesn’t matter whether I’ve been using the same shampoo. So I switched to an organic shampoo that should not have any chemicals " I still am having problems.

I know I should go back " he said if it continues he could do an allergy test (of which I want to avoid). I’ve thought of everything. It is unlikely to be clothes detergent. Usually when I wake up " no hives, it seems to “grow” once I am awake.

I used Vaseline on my face last night to just get rid of the dryness which was horrible yesterday. I woke to a perfectly nice normal soft face " no dryness or redness. When I went to work out, I could just feel the on coming hives. And they were quite apparent after my shower when looking the mirror.

Any thoughts or should I just suck it up and go back to the doctors? Also in the mean time, any thoughts on what I can use to help minimize the red dryness " I look horrendous.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 4,802 • Replies: 21
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 08:32 am
@Linkat,
Hmm could be allergies, could possibly be something more skin-specific like psoriasis.

Since it comes out during the day, perhaps that has something to do with light hitting it (that's not as weird as it may sound).

In the meantime, before going to the doctor's (yes, you should), you can do things like clean your pillow cases in unscented laundry detergent (scents can often be allergens). Same with shampoo and conditioner, try for something where you know what all the ingredients are. Aveeno makes shampoo and they tend to be good re allergens and skin sensitivities: http://www.aveeno.com/hair-care/free-samples

Hang in there; a lot of itchy skin is no fun.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 09:07 am
I have very sensitive skin and when it gets irritated through whatever influences, I take Aloe Vera 40x concentrate - a teaspoon with a bit of water in the morning,
and it clears up my skin in no time (plus it keeps you regular - if you know what I mean). It doesn't help overnight though, I usually take it for several weeks.

Aloe Vera has natural healing factors and is great for skin inflammations.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 09:49 am
@Linkat,
Does it happen on weekends as well as weekdays?

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:17 am
Do the symptoms become less severe with antihistamine medication? If so, that's a pretty good case for it being an allergy, though finding out what exactly you are allergic to can be very difficult.
Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:17 am
@ehBeth,
Yes - I do think it may be worse during the week - I was thinking it could also be stress related.
Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:20 am
@Robert Gentel,
I haven't tried any recently. Maybe I should give it a shot. The doctor recommended using hydrocortisone which did work a little bit.
Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:21 am
@CalamityJane,
You can eat it?
Joeblow

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:29 am
@Linkat,
It might be an allergy, but it sounds like it could be Rosacea, too.

I think I'd head back to the doctors' since it's been recurring for so long.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:37 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

You can eat it?

You drink it, yes - it's liquid.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:51 am
@Linkat,
I've noticed that some of my allergy symptoms are worse when I'm stressed.

seems I'm not alone

Quote:
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,440,000 for eczema + stress
Quote:

Results 1 - 10 of about 4,330,000 for allergies + stress

This one's an interesting read

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080814154327.htm

0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:53 am
@Joeblow,
Quote:
Left untreated, rosacea tends to be progressive, which means it gets worse over time. However, in most people rosacea is cyclic. This means your rosacea signs and symptoms may flare up for a period of weeks to months and then lessen for a while before flaring up again. Besides acne, rosacea can be mistaken for other skin problems, such as skin allergy or eczema.

www.mayoclinic.com/health/rosacea

Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 11:09 am
@Joeblow,
I thought I looked to see if this could be my condition - however, they are not "pus-filled" as described so I figured it couldn't be. It looks like hives.

but either way it sounds like I should have a follow up. He seemed pretty convinced it was contact dermatitis - which is basically an allergic reaction to a direct contact with your skin.

This is what best describes my situation -
Dry, red patches, which may resemble a burn

Damn I wanted to avoid the patch test.
Joeblow

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 11:15 am
@Linkat,
The test isn't so bad. Itchy welts for a bit is all. Both times I had one, they did it on my arm, though I hear they sometimes do it on the back.

I have a girlfriend who has rosacea. It mostly effects her cheeks - no pus as far as I have seen, but maybe she's good at dealing with it? I'll ask her next time I see her. Maybe tomorrow. Talk to the doc.

Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 11:22 am
@Joeblow,
Just called him - you guys convinced me.

He is (of course) on vacation - as this isn't life threatening, they are going to have him call me on Monday when he gets back. He did say it would be on my back.

I have the worst on my forehead - most likely why he thought it was from shampoo dripping down in the shower. I have a little on my cheeks - just a small hive on my upper cheek and then a small one near my jaw line.

Now I am itchy just thinking about it. I bet I make an appointment and when I show up I don't have any hives.
engineer

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:48 pm
@Linkat,
Benadryl is a general anti-allergy med that you should be able to find at the drug store. Wouldn't hurt to try it while waiting for the doctor.
Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:57 pm
@engineer,
I might at that. I hate taking any medication.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:59 pm
I get something similar. I associate it with potting soil, but I also run into issues at work. I did do the patch test which was inconclusive. They then did a blood test which was negative all around. I keep telling them I think it's chemical (not botanical), but they haven't tested me for that. My dad had skin reactions to fungicides - that would explain both potting soil and work place reactions. Fungicides might also explain shampoo reactions (I had those too).

My own diagnosis of myself (ha!) was contact dermatitis. I touch with my hands and somehow, even if I don't touch my face, the rash occurs around my hairline - forehead, temple, jaw joint and down the sides and back of my neck. I do get tiny pustules and then my skin turns red and sort of sand-papery. It always starts with a prickling sensation, within 12 hours I have pustules, and the redness is gone within 2-3 days. Antihistamines seemed to help some.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:00 pm
@Linkat,
Take a picture of yourself on one of the itchity-bumpity days. Evidence/clues never hurt.
mac11

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:02 pm
Linkat, I have rosacea which is treated with Metrocream. Sometimes there are little bumps with pus, sometimes more general redness. Sometimes itchy, but not always. Cheeks, chin, forehead, nose. I also have allergies, so I'm not sure how the dermatologist made the diagnosis. It is much better with the cream than without.

It seems to me that if you've changed out shampoo and soaps, etc and you still have the problem, that it may be rosacea or some other skin ailment.
0 Replies