Seasonal allergy sufferers?

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 01:30 pm
I have found something that works SO very well to help me with seasonal allergies. When they took Drixoral off the market because stupid people were using it to make crystal meth, ( good grief. are we all to be deprived because of the few that abuse a substance? ) Now - it is a very easy, simple procedure known as nasal washing. They DO make stuff called Ocean Nasal Spray and others but they are ridiculously expensive when you compare them to the generic sterile saline solution for contact lens users. Whenever I get sneezy, I simply tilt my head forward and squirt a bit of saline solution into each nostril until I feel it hit my frontal sinuses then I blow it out of my nose. This easy procedure washes out the pollen or whatever the irritating substance is and I have had no need for Drixoral since I began using this procedure. I guess that in their own way those crystal meth users did me a huge favor, didn't they?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,378 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 01:35 pm
@babsatamelia,
Do you just spray it in, or are you supposed to inhale while doing it?
littlek

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:58 pm
Babs - it'[s good to see you. I find that using a neti pot is even better. It's a little nose irrigation pot that you fill with saline solution. You sort of plug it in one nostril, tilt your head, and let it run out the other nostril.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2009-04-30-NetiPot2.JPG
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 02:02 pm
The costs turned me off. Maybe if I fill something with plain "salt" water. You are not the first person that has said this spray works good.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 11:53 am
@roger,
Actually Roger, yes, what I do is tilt my head down & squeeze until the sterile saline runs out and YES I do inhale it slightly (very much like that photo) right into my nasal sinus...then lift my head a bit, pinch the other nostril and blow it all out. It is such a simple premise. You're just washing out an irritant from your delicate mucous membranes.
I remember when I was younger and had to cut the grass every week and
it was awful when there had been no rain. After I finished the filthy job I'd get
in the shower -- cup my hands -- fill them with warm water -- lower my head while I inhaled some of that warm water up my nose - then when I blew it out,
out came all that nasty dirt & dust from the yard.
0 Replies