Mon 16 Mar, 2015 08:55 pm
Hello, I've been trying to get rid of the mold on my belongings from a previous basement unit I lived in, and it's been an endless project. Just when I thought I saw the end to it, last night I turned on my dehumidifier that was cleaned with vinegar and baking soda, but that had been sitting in a moldy closet prior, and I believe it sprayed moldy air all over my room and on my belongings again. I am having horrible allergies all over again, and am wondering if there are any suggestions for cleaning out the dehumidifier to make sure it is not letting out mold spores from the vents/filter? I was planning on soaking the filter and coils in vinegar/baking soda or bleach (but not both), but how do I ensure that the dehumidifier is working and not causing more mold problems? Is it safer to just get rid of it, rather than cleaning it? Thank you for your suggestions!
Id dry it, take it apart and spray with a 10% hypochlorite solution. (HTH pool disinfectant tabs can be used . After a good dousing, dry it with clean PAPER towels (bathroom towels and kitchen sponges are bacterial soup pots)
PS, I learned that, when using disinfectants, CONTACT TIME is jut as important as the concentration
If it is mold problem in your basement, having a contractor install vapor barriers around the outside of the foundation of the house is probably the best long-term option.
Well, it is completely mold problem. If you really want to rid of this problem change your mold.