Allergic to henna colorings - alternatives?

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 05:27 pm
I got away from chemical hair colors last year and went to henna powder colorings. After the second application, I got tiny blisters all over my head. I looked online and it seems this is a reaction from people who are allergic to henna dyes.

I got another brand (Madison) that claims it's pretty much all natural and doesn't have any side effects. Well, I got the same little blisters all over my head from using this, even though there isn't that much henna in it.

Apparently there are no counter actives for henna allergies. I don't want to go back to chemical hair coloring, but it seems I might not have a choice.

Is there any all natural hair dye that does not contain henna?
Is there any such thing as hypoallergenic hair color? If so, what brands?
Are there any chemical brands that don't burn, itch, or leave dye marks in the skin?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,062 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 02:39 pm
I cant use any hair coloring that has ammonia in it. Plus the conditioner used after the coloring sometimes makes my scalp itch.

You really need to know exactly what is causing these reactions.
0 Replies

chaidragonfire

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2020 08:48 pm
@chaidragonfire,
These are supposed to be "all natural" hair colors. And they do work better than the chemical colorings, but the chemical colorings don't give me little blisters all over my head.

I researched allergic reactions to henna online, and my little blisters are part of the list of the reactions one can get from being allergic to henna or henna products.

So, I was wondering if there is like a vitamin or something over the counter I could take to counteract the allergic reaction........or if there are hypoallergenic hair colorings out there.............or if I just need to go back to chemical dyes?
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2020 09:15 pm
@chaidragonfire,
No there isn't!
If you have such a bad reaction to henna, your body is telling you something
and you should listen. A lot of the so called "natural" hair dyes claim to be hypoallergenic (Madison), but once you used them you'll find out they are not. Chemical dyes don't sugar coat - they're bad too!
If you must color your hair, go for the least damaging option that doesn't give you blisters, rashes, or worse - hairloss!
0 Replies