Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 07:12 pm
will a yorkie be a good dog for ppl with allergies. severe allergies to be exact
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,108 • Replies: 13
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:45 pm
@cheepcha,
Hello cheepcha,

yes, it seems the Yorkshire Terriers are hypoallergenic, however for
severe allergy sufferers I'd recommend a poodle mix - like a labradoodle

http://www.allergyescape.com/labradoodle.html
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
According to many veterinarians, there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog. I've personally been violently allergic to poodles. Please research all this before you pick a dog, if you pick a dog.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, I think it boils down to dogs that don't shed. Non-shedding dogs
are much more tolerant to allergy sufferers than dogs that shed.
cheepcha

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:00 pm
@ossobuco,
thank you! and everyone says the poodle is the best dog to buy for allergies what r the symptons u get when ur around the poodle
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 10:25 pm
@cheepcha,
Oh, sneezing fifty times... in a short while.

The whole thing about hypoallergenic dogs is a rook. I suppose I could chase down some veterinary web sites, but you could do that yourself and learn by doing it.

The dog I was least allergic to was a corgi, but I wouldn't begin to suggest that you might do well with corgis.

You could look into allergy shots.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 10:27 pm
@CalamityJane,
The allergen is not all in the hair, whether on the dog or on the couch.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 10:31 pm
@ossobuco,
This was all argued in some places when the Obamas wanted an non allergenic dog. A lot of veterinarians weighed in about the silliness of that. I'm not going to chase this down. Poodles make me sneeze.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 10:53 pm
circles
http://able2know.org/topic/134944-1#post-3723468
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 11:14 pm
@TTH,
Thanks, TTH, that saves me a heap of trouble. In fact, bless your heart!
TTH

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 12:48 am
@ossobuco,
I was having fun linking them together Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 01:10 am
Ditto on the previous info provided about allergies. Check it out with your allergist BEFORE you buy one. Don't assume a 'hypo-allergenic' dog won't affect you.

Are you buying from a breeder? If so, you may want to ask some questions about the dog's traits and its parents and sibs, etc.

Yorky coat
"The typical fine, straight, and silky Yorkshire Terrier coat has also been listed by many popular dog information websites as being hypoallergenic. All dogs shed, and it is the dog's dander and saliva that trigger most allergic reactions.

Allergists do recognize that at times a particular allergy patient will be able to tolerate a particular dog, but they agree that "the luck of the few with their pets cannot be stretched to fit all allergic people and entire breeds of dogs."

The Yorkshire Terrier coat is said to fall out only when brushed or broken, or just said to not shed. Although neither of those statements agree with what biologists, veterinarians, and allergists know about dog fur, allergists "think there really are differences in protein production between dogs that may help one patient and not another", meaning that some allergic people may not have allergic reactions to a specific dog, like the Yorkie."

My expereince w/ Yorkies
I do know a little bit about Yorkies. They've a decent playful disposition but like any small dog, they can be prone to 'small dog syndrome'. They respond well to calmly assertive personality. Unless you're well schooled, you can get more than you bargain for. Though they're far better than some small dogs (infamous chihuahuas or mini dachshunds..weiner dogs).

Check out National Geographic channel TV show called 'Dog Whisperer'. Cesar Millan rehabs dogs and trains people. He teaches people some awesome techniques to keep your small dog from taking over your home and your world. Here's a link to his bio" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesar_Milan

Some Yorky Breed traits

The typical life span of a healthy Yorkie is 10-15 years.
As a breed, some Yorky dogs are predisposed to have collapsed tracheas. Tracheal collapse is a progressive weakening of the walls of the trachea, occurs in many toy breeds, especially very tiny Yorkies It's wise to avoid the tiniest of this breed.

I've a friend who owns a pure-bred Yorky but sadly this one has a collapsed trachea. It's heart breaking as it impairs the dog's breathing and eventually will shorten his life. Another friend has a Yorky who has 'slipping knee-cap problems.

Don't be alarmed about all the Yorky trait info as thos problems may not be a problem for your Yorky. It's good info to know and ask the breeder about. I hope this helps you out with your decision.
cheepcha

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 11:18 am
@Ragman,
thanks for these great paragraphs. i do watch dog whisperer a lot ( like that show) thank you again
Ragman

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 10:18 pm
@cheepcha,
You're very welcome. Please report back to us all with your choice as to which pet you decide.
0 Replies