Languages and Thought

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 02:58 pm
The number of words for a phenomenon (focal vocabulary) indicates how seriously the speakers of that language take the subject. The more words that are available to describe it suggest the degree to which the subject has been observed and analyzed.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 02:58 pm
Sleet is not-quite-frozen snow in my book - I guess you could say it's halfway to rain, but you can still build snowmen with it, so I think it's snow. Smile I use flurry to describe light fluffy snowflakes, and so does everyone els around here. It's a relatively new addition to my vocabulary, since it doesn't snow where I used to live, so for all I know, that could just be Midwestern.

You're right that we describe what's in our general association, but that doesn't mean we can't conceive of other things. I used to have one word for snow - snow. Flurries and slushes were ice cream, sleet was heard only every once in a while. They gave the Stanford 9 to elementary school there, and none of them knew what galoshes were. None of this means I can't learn what those things are though, or that various types of snow don't still fall under the general category of "snow".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 03:02 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
The number of words for a phenomenon (focal vocabulary) indicates how seriously the speakers of that language take the subject. The more words that are available to describe it suggest the degree to which the subject has been observed and analyzed.

From which i wished to proceed to an examination of that phenomenon as it changes from the hunter/gatherer societies, to the agrarian societies. To my mind, this suggests that language is more in the character of a tool used to understand and communicate an understanding of one's environment, as opposed to an imperative of thought process which determines how one describes one's environment.

Then again, meatloaf sammiches are my strongest focus at this time of day . . .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 03:15 pm
rufio wrote:
Well, he listed them, Craven. I think the list was replicated from something Chomsky wrote. I guess it's still slightly desputable, though.

I actually meant that the list wouldn't be comprehensive enough. I've tried to make such lists in the past, it's a daunting task for most words and an impossible one for some.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 03:22 pm
Indeed impossible. Especially when you count slang and dialects in. Just try to think of a list of synonyms for 'drunk' in English. It's fun trying though.
rufio, what are 'slovenly germans?' germans living in slovenia?
signed
a puzzled slovak.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 04:36 pm
Slovenly, as in unorderly and generally not very obediant or reputable. One of them I'm not quite sure I can say that I knew. I knew him in high school. He would come over and sit with us at lunch, smoke up, and then leave. He rarely said anything. We didn't even know his name until after 3 months of this.

Good point, Craven, but I still doubt that the Inuit have significantly more words for various incarnations of snow than we do.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 04:45 pm
They probably don't. English has the most words of any language and it's not uncommon to find words that we have more variations of.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 04:51 pm
Rather an odd definition of slovenly, which i have always believed simply referred to appearance. I also note, Rufio, that you seem very taken with notions of orderly behavior. Not a little anal retentive, are you?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 04:53 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 05:06 pm
"English has the most words of any language"

That's one I hadn't heard.

Setanta, I was using it to refer to general character, since you were using orderly to refer to character as well as appearance, as well.

And no, I'm not orderly at all. I can't find my floor anymore, and I have drink bottles lying around with fuzz growing inside them. I'll probably clean them out of here when I pack up and go home. Believe me, I'm like the most un-anal-retentive person I know.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 05:08 pm
I was . . . i don't recall that i was, but yes, orderly could be applied to character. I don't think it is a proper use of slovenly, though. Your description of your floor seems a good candidate for the term, however.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 05:18 pm
rufio wrote:
"English has the most words of any language"

That's one I hadn't heard.

English has well over 600,000 words, other languages have not had as many influences and usually have far fewer.

But that's not what makes that an easy claim to make, if you add scientific words and technical jargon you will be able to add well over a million more to the total eclipsing any other language.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 05:29 pm
patiodog wrote:
Damn, it's like Parliament in here...

Quote:
As far as I know, children who grow up without ever learning a language never learn any, if they grow past about 10 or 12 without verbal human contact. I don't know much more than that about their developement, though. Kind of makes you wonder how the first languages came about, I guess. I do know that children who grow up around pidgins, which are not fully developed conglomorations of words from different languages, develope a creole, which is like the pidgin in vocabulary, but unlike the pidgin, has rules and grammar and syntax. Eventually, the creole becomes a dialect.

I was thinking more in terms of how a lack of language would affect other mental capacities -- which, would, I suppose, be practically untestable, ethics aside. For instance, does the development of language help with the development of abstract spatial thought, or are these separate entities? Could Greystoke have made a machine without first learning to speak? That's more what I had in mind.

And for me it steers thinking away from vocabulary (which may be something of a red herring as it pertains to this subject) and back toward structure and syntax. After all, the syntax of mathematics -- and here I use the word "syntax" loosely (not having any firm grasp of its precise linguistic meaning), taking it to mean something akin to how logical relationships are encoded in language -- is not that different from language. Now, language is virtually assured to have evolved before mathematics (unless you count the sort of calculus a dog can do to catch a ball), but is it a necessary prerequisite to mathematics?

Just blabbing here...

I am no expert here, but my undersatnding is that there is a critical period for language learning, which occurs under three - and, if that period is missed (eg because of undiagnosed deafness - a sadly common thing here amongst outback Aboriginal people, at least to some extent {ie, child may not be COMPLETELY deaf}, because of non-attendance to ear infections) then the child's language is permanently affected, as are, it seems, other learning abilities. I am not sure about spatial stuff - I would imagine not, on the basis that a lot of kids we see with language-based learning disorders have excellent spatial skills.

The message seems to be that failure to acquire normal language means that the brain does not develop properly, causing problems in some other (probably related) areas - like literacy, numeracy etc.

Other claims were made, in the paper I just looked up, re behavioural problems - but I think thee could be adequately explained by other factors - like the environment that meant the deafness/illness went untreated in the first place, and frustration with learning and poor self-esteem amongst the affected children. (Kids KNOW, very fast, when they are, as they think of it, "dumb")
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 05:39 pm
"if you add scientific words and technical jargon you will be able to add well over a million more to the total eclipsing any other language."

Although, due to the tendency of those words to be assimilated into other langauges, you might consider things like "computer" and "printer" and "internet" to be more like international words. I mean, if you're going to count all of the borrowings English makes, you might as well.

I really doubt that language has anything to do with general intelligence. I don't think syntax precedes mathematical thinking - I think it's the other way around.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 07:02 pm
rufio wrote:
if you're going to count all of the borrowings English makes, you might as well.

I believe that they weren't counted in the numbers I mentioned. I don't know that for a fact but I'm pretty sure that only words derived from other languages but distinguishable from the original are counted, excluding the verbatim imports.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 08:20 pm
Ahhh, ok. What about words like food names that are used (well, sort of) regularly, but haven't changed from the original? They wouldn't be foreign to every day speech, anyway.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 09:49 pm
Lack of language definitely affects cognition in general. A huge thing in deaf education. Can get cites if requested.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 12:36 am
hmm. though not a slovene myself, merely a humble slovak, the term slovenly does not appeal to me whether applied to character or appearance. why not, say, hungarianly, or turkishly or whatnot?
i have also read somewhere that english has the largest vocabulary, but that in and of itself does not mean anything. other languages use nuances of one word for many different things, it does not mean those languages are poorer, or less developed. they just work differently.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 01:24 am
I think it just means that English borrows more.

Sozobe, I don't believe sign langauge is qualitatively any different from spoken language.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 02:05 am
I don't think I have time to read all of this, but you Americans and foreign folks have a strange way with words sometimes.

A sloven is not a Slovene nor yet a Slovak.
Slovenly can describe behaviour as well as appearance.

And another thing....oh heck, I'll go back and read it.

Morning all.
Joyeux Toussaint from old Europe. McT
0 Replies