Widow Just Dumped Me

Lettie

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 01:42 pm
Let me start at the beginning. His wife passed on over six years ago to cancer. I semi-knew him prior to our going out together. Didn't know anything about his past. He's 15 years older than me...he has two grown daughters (one I met the other not yet) and a grandson. I'm divorced with four children. My three younger ones aren't even past age 12 yet. We have been dating approximately 9 months. We got intimate very quickly. We hit if off right away. We had this open lively fun life with my kids. He ended up staying at my place most of the time. When I met his daughter for the first time at a public function, two months into the relationship, she ended up crying outside, but he said she had just heard a close friend died and she was upset. I didn't think anything except I felt badly for her. She didn't stick around the rest of the weekend. A few times, like around months four, five and seven, he accused me of being "unfaithful" (not true) and tried to break up with me, but we talked it out. Practically this whole time, he's been telling his friends I was the one and he was off the market. Two days before he broke up with me, he said he was going to marry me and he was going to build me a house. About two months into our relationship, he bought me a "friendship" ring that looked like an engagement/wedding band. I've been wearing it since then. Two weeks ago, he went to an annual cancer walk his family always attends. My kids and I weren't invited. After this, everything was fine for two weeks and then he went to see his daughter and grandson. That evening he called and was angry. He said we have been spending too much time together, I'm not ready for a relationship (not him, me) and he "heard" I was messing around. At this point, I was shocked...it came out of nowhere. I got angry and hung up. I just didn't get it so I started doing some research and found this website. I thought he was over his late wife, but now I'm picking up on some cues I never took seriously. He refers to his late wife in the first person, his inlaws are still his inlaws, he never lets me go with him to his house (he says he built the house for his late wife....everything she wanted, she got), it's almost like he keeps his life with me separate from his kids and grandson. I love him dearly...but I think I went into this relationship blindly. Before I did any of this research, I texted him that it wasn't working out (he wasn't taking my calls). Why would I put up with being treated badly and be accused of messing around from anybody? Been there...not again. Now I'm rethinking my decision. He's never said there were issues about his late wife or how his kids felt about us...now I'm beginning to wonder if its all about that. I've been crying five days...and I feel bad for my kids...because he really endeared himself to them. It's a mess and I still don't know the outcome. He still has some of his stuff at my place. I wish he would talk to me about what's really going on. I think if he did, I would be more than understanding. Maybe there was already a trust issue with him before we even met. I would appreciate any comments. L

kuvasz

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 01:51 pm
@Lettie,
Lettie. Just give it time.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 01:55 pm
@Lettie,
Sorry to hear about your break-up. I think his children are having a hard time seeing him with another woman. It seems like things are going great until he talks to his daughters and then it all goes off the rails. It wouldn't be the first time that grown children have problems with their parent moving on, nor would it be the first time the ghost of a sainted first spouse kills a new relationship. Take a deep breath and see what happens. He might call back. Good luck.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:47 pm
Honey, after six years, if he's still clinging to his late wife, that spells trouble. If his grown children have such influence over him to muddy the water for you every time he interacts with them, that also spells trouble. Since his late wife has been put on a pedestal and the family is determined to keep her there, imo, you don't stand a chance. Your only mistake was letting him get so close to your children that they are hurt too, but we live and learn. I'm sure you won't do that again.
Six years??? I suggest you take off the ring and move on. With his wild accusations and trumped up excuses, he sounds as childish and immature as his supposedly grown daughters.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 03:13 pm
@Lettie,
Lettie, pack up his stuff that he left at your house. Put the friendship ring he gave you, in an unmarked envelope and put it in with the other stuff you have packed up. Overnight the package to his house, with no note.

He has accused you of messing around several times now and whatever his triggers are for acting like this every so often, as long as you are truly not messing around or flirting with anyone else, then his behavior is unjustified.

It is understandable - his feelings about his wife who passed away, his children, his friends, his family - but they are not acceptable excuses for his treatment of you .... pulling you close, pushing you away, over and over again.

If he has emotional issues and cannot decide if he wants to take charge of his own life and try to be happy, then he should not be in a relationship at all.

I know emotions are involved on your part and you are probably already in love with him, but he has to learn a lesson and he has to learn it hard and fast. You will NOT put up with this behavior.

Cut his access to you right now. Return everything you have of his to him immediately. Do not take his calls, answer his texts, read his emails, use the same chat-sites where he may be (including looking up his facebook page if he has one).

When an adequate amount of time has passed - a week or two - whatever feels punishment enough, pick up the phone on his next call and explain to him that if he wants to be in relationship with you - it is all or nothing. He will invite you to his house as a guest or he will not stay at yours at all. He will introduce you to all of his family and tell them you are his girlfriend and be open and honest with them, or he will not be allowed to see your children/family. He will begin couples counselling on the issues of accusing you of infidelity, or the relationship is over completely.

Unless you are willing to accept his behavior (and some partners do) for the long-term, then you have to set some ground-rules apparently. His behavior has been inconsistent over the last 9 months and he has you dangling like bait on a string. Enough! You are going to have to get tough here and if he is not willing to work with you, then you know the relationship may not be worth salvaging.
0 Replies

Lettie

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 03:36 pm
Thank you everybody for your suggestions. I already took the ring off and packed it up for him this past weekend. The crazy thing is...since I've never been to his house, I don't even have an address or location. I know what meetings he frequents on a weekly basis but that wouldn't be appropriate. I don't want a scene...that's not me. Although I would like to know if he's back in town (no form of communication from him yet) and if he is...when is he picking his stuff up, are we going to talk, etc. Driving myself nuts...So, I've thrown myself into exercise, self-help books, and talking to my friends about my situation. I'm okay, but I haven't told the kids what's going on yet. Uggh. I just hate to do that to them. I hate him more for caring for them like he did and doing a 360...he is SUCH a good guy. I just don't understand although its staring me straight in the face.
roger

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 03:45 pm
@Lettie,
Without even going into the details, you've been seeing each other for 9 months and you don't even know where he lives? So, pack up his stuff and set it outside. If it rains, well, it rains.
Lettie

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 03:49 pm
@roger,
LOL...oh gosh...I have been living in la la land.
Mame

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 03:56 pm
@Lettie,
I can only echo what others have said, especially about him not fully accepting you into his life and allowing his children and his wife's memory to control things. Your kids would be better off with just you than someone who can't or won't commit.

Hugs to you, hon, and I hope you stay strong and focussed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 04:21 pm
@Lettie,
You don't know his address, but you've allowed him into your children's home?
Lettie

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 04:41 pm
@ehBeth,
He's well known in this community and I bet I could find a business address on the internet, but I wouldn't know if that's current. His businesses are in different states (or so he said). Maybe I should go find his house...he lives in a very tiny community and I'm sure I would be pointed in the right direction. It just sounds off to be doing something like that though. I don't want anybody to think I'm stalking him.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 04:47 pm
@Lettie,
I think it's too late to be getting his address now.

My 2 Cents is that it would have been better to look at the entire situation before you let him into your children's home. He was part of your life, but you weren't part of his. That was hinky quite a while ago.
Mame

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Well, if she had his address, she could send his things along with a Thanks For The Memories card and be done with it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:11 pm
Box up his things and take them to the location of one of his weekly meetings. Don't wait for him. As you said, you don't want a scene. Just leave the box there for him. That's the only way you know that he'll get it, right, without skulking around his neighborhood or letting him into your house? In other words, if I were you, I wouldn't give him the pleasure of ever seeing my lovely face again.
Mame

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:15 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:
I wouldn't give him the pleasure of ever seeing my lovely face again.

That's so sweet, and so in keeping with what I know about you, eva.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 06:39 pm
@Lettie,
The next relationship is always better than the last...keep your chin up !
roger

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 06:40 pm
@Ionus,
Hah!
Ionus

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 06:43 pm
@roger,
Lets try to be positive for someone else's sake, shall we ?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 08:58 pm
@Lettie,
Does he still have a key?
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 09:19 pm
He may not be able to really give you the love that you need, especially if you are the "first" serious one after losing his wife.

IMHO you both moved too fast in just 9 months.

If you do get back together, try to not get the family and kids involved until you have resolved just where the two of you are in this relationship.

There were warning signs, but they were not heeded.

0 Replies