Unknown Civil War Officer?????

LtFrederick

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 12:57 am
@VReaction,
Unfortunately the photo is not of anyone of the American Civil War vintage. I would agree that this person is an Italian Bersaglieri. The headdress, insignia and uniform style is that of the Italian Military of the pre-1939 era most likely from WWI. The photo, frame and domed glass style mentioned was most common in the 1910-1925 era. Many of these were reprint enlargements of smaller originals thus the darkened grainy appearance results is common. The photo artists frequently would retouch to give better definition and/or some hand colored tones to make it more lifelike.

Respects
Frederick
Ionus

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 03:37 am
@LtFrederick,
Quote:
the photo is not of anyone of the American Civil War vintage.
What facts do you base this on ?
0 Replies

dune3

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 09:24 pm
@VReaction,
Hello,
It sems to me the answer may be in researching the home owners names back to the civil war era (county tax records , deeds etc.) and researching those names on the soldiers and sailors system online. Hopefully you will be able to identify him that way, sounds like fun Bye, Duane
0 Replies

mchiodini

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 05:04 pm
@panzade,
No, this is an Italian Bersigliere insignia and photo.
My Grandfather was in WW1 with this unit and I have an exact photo of him with this hat and crimsom colar insignia with start.
Michael Chiodini
[email protected]
0 Replies

mchiodini

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 05:10 pm
@boomerang,
I belive this is a WW1 Italian Bersagliere-special forces unit.
I have a photo of my Grandpa from Italy in WW1, and its exactly the same.
Hope this helps,
Mike
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 06:55 pm
I think you're right
0 Replies

Katerina4

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 02:38 pm
@boomerang,
If you can do a title examination, which would take a lot of work because you would have to know the genealogy of the county that the house resides in then go to those courthouses, if it wasn't destroyed during the Civil War; You could find the lineage of the first family. Or the VA History Museum, I think it is in Richmond, VA could maybe help you or you could find the county records you are searching for. Good luck with your search. Keep us posted.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 03:50 pm
Mussolini in Bersagliere uniform circa 1915
http://www.mymilitaria.it/books/sarfattidux3.jpg
0 Replies

bukisan

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 12:55 pm
@boomerang,
Look up Bersagliere. It will answer all of your questions.
0 Replies