Relocation to Warmer Climate

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:48 pm
@farmerman,
I don't love very hot weather but already have it here. I remember humidity, I wouldn't be very happy in it in daily life.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
I'd like to see that if you find it. Too late for me now, of course.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 05:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso- Florida is very hot and humid from June-September. It also rains a lot in the afternoons during those months.

But I look at it this way. Everything in Florida is air conditioned. In the north, one usually prefers to stay in the house in the winter. In Florida, it is the reverse.
I do my errands in the morning and late afternoon, and spend most of midday indoors. We have had a spell of cooler weather. I really resent having to wear long pants and a jacket. I really got used to short sleeved shirts and shorts.

Ragman- I can't speak for every area, but where I live, the association pays for the lawn maintenance. The shrubs and trees are maintained by the homeowner.

I have a "thing" for palm trees. When I brought them home in the trunk of my car, I did not anticipate that they would grow to a height that we never could handle ourselves. Live and learn.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 05:30 pm
@ossobuco,
The ABQ Journal article isn't online, but here's a similar version of it in another newspaper:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/real-estate-news/ci_14427338
ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 05:37 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I lived near chicago, and in NYC, when I was a kid in the years before ever present air conditioning.. well, so did you in NY, eh?.. the humidity was hilarious in memory.
One thing about air conditioning here in new mexico is that using a swamp cooler is a possibility, and pretty reasonably priced, including for elec/water costs. I might be interested in Florida, despite the heat, re cost of living, the water (! I miss the ocean) and proximity to the atlantic coast cities .. but I prefer being relatively near my old-home/family of california.

Still, I'm interested in Ragman's adventure.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 05:38 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, butrfly.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 05:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks for your contribution with this info, though the subject of home inspection is a bit adrift of topic. Perhaps it's deserving of a topic of its own?
Ragman

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 05:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Boston area, where I grew up, has a pretty high humidity, being a coastal area. I never was nuts about that in the dead of winter and definitely not in the july-august dog days.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 05:46 pm
@Ragman,
I'm the culprit, I was interested because of my own inspection issues.
Will henceforth be quiet about that.
Ragman

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 10:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso: no need to be, really; however, due to value of such info, a separate post on that topic might serve and be seen by more people. Dont you think?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 05:59 pm
Quote:

Bradenton, FL

Home price forecast (1 year):* -2.1%

Is this a good time to buy a home in Bradenton?

City stats†
Population:
(2006) 314,649
Median family income:
(2008) $59,600
Home price data
Median home price:
(2009) $178,000
Affordability index:
(Median home price/family income 2009) 3.0
Prices peaked in: 2006:Q1
Total climb during the boom:
(2000 to peak) 152.0%
Total decline so far:
(Peak through 2009) -51.0%
One-year change:
(Q4 2008 to Q4 2009) -10.4%
Forecast
Additional price change to bottom: -11.4%
When they'll hit bottom: 2010:Q4

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/moneymag_realestate/2010/snapshots/179.html

Quote:
The Bradenton-Sarasota-Venice, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area is a Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) consisting of Manatee County and Sarasota County in the state of Florida in the USA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradenton%E2%80%93Sarasota%E2%80%93Venice,_Florida_Metropolitan_Statistical_Area

I think I'd wait to buy!
Ragman

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 07:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Thanks. My financial outlook prohibits my making any rash decisions. I'm probably 1.5 - 2 yrs away, at the minimum. That should be enough time for some modest recovery of some sort. After all is said ansd done, this area was headed on an impossible and unsustainable boom. Things had to correct at some point.

However, IMHO, there are so many fundamental things 'wrong' in the economy (jobs creation, workable health care, etc.) that who knows where local southwest coastal FL RE will be in 2 yrs?!

At least, now I'm here and moved into my new rental place and liking it just fine.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 09:40 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Thanks. My financial outlook prohibits my making any rash decisions. I'm probably 1.5 - 2 yrs away, at the minimum. That should be enough time for some modest recovery of some sort
who cares about recovery BEFORE you buy, you want to buy as close to the bottom as possible. Buy low and sell high, the basic rules of capitalism are still in effect. According to this report you should buy in about a year for the best bang for your buck. This is perfect, cause you can sign a one year lease, figure out exactly where you want to live, and when the lease is up your market timing will be perfect.
Ragman

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 02:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
To my untrained eye/ear, that idea seems absurd to me. How can you tell where and when the bottom is reached until it rebounds/recovers enough to see that is/was the bottom. FWIW, I HAVE signed a 1-yr lease.

I don't hold much stock in economists and their predictions. These are that same ilk that never predicted how extensive and deep the mess in which we now find ourselves.

I've no big desire to buy at the very bottom -- just to buy, when I'm ready, near the bottom as my own individual economic conditions improve. After all, if the economy hasn't recovered enough, I'll be renting or leasing as I am doing right now. After all, starting up a micro retail photo image business relies on a general recovery of some sort.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 03:01 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
To my untrained eye/ear, that idea seems absurd to me. How can you tell where and when the bottom is reached until it rebounds/recovers enough to see that is/was the bottom.

foreclosure is a lengthy process, they have a pretty good idea how many homes will be dumped on the market over the next six months. After that they look at the prospects for wages over the next few years, the likely hood that people will be able to stay current on their mortgage.
Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:50 am
@hawkeye10,
Perhaps I was being unclear. I was referring to the health of the US economy as well as the s/w FL RE market. The term 'dead-cat bounce' comes to my mind
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 06:29 pm
@Phoenix32890,
OMG! Make that a weather surprise that's about hot and steamy from mid-May to probably late October. How about for early June an avg of 90 degrees F every day and an avg of 78-80 at night. Heat indexes of 95+ with dew points of 75 EVERY day. Oh the Relative Humidity avg 50-75% every single day.

Oh, yes there's some nice breezes..and the air is not polluted, but unless you are in water during the day, the movement outside is limited to trips to take the dog out and moving to car and store enclosed A/c.

I refuse to acknowledge the oil spill that's working into Pensacola and Panama city as we speak. When and if the oil spill coats the beaches, it's all over for the economies of FL and most of the coastal Gulf.

And, just when people were in recovery from the effects of Katrina. This could be crushing!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 06:40 pm
How ya diggin all that warm weather?
Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 11:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
Warm weather was the steady trend when I got here in end of March, April turned into hottish - May even hotter. Now it's absurd. Off the charts, but I'll still take this over the bad upstate NY and New England winters.

I like taking my dog to the dog park, where there's 3 acres and it's well organized...(small fenced-in area for small dogs and big fenced-in area for big dogs). Not able to have that sort of dog park space anywhere I've lived before.
0 Replies