Was Hitler good for the World in any way?

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 05:04 pm
OK, i'm not averse to admitting that i was wrong about the computers. However, i don't see any reason that that invalidates the overall criticisms of Hitler's regime with which i responded to Hex Hammer's ludicrous post.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 06:28 pm
@Setanta,
I've recently watched a documentary about Bletchley Park. After WW2 they had to keep quiet fopr years, and not tell anyone about what they did, and that included family members. When America announced that it had invented the computer, they were incensed, but had to keep quiet. Now it's been declassified there's a need to speak out.

I wasn't disagreeing with anything else you'd posted.
Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 06:38 pm
@izzythepush,
No, i did say that the Americans had invented the computer, and that was wrong. However, the sum of the post was to reject the common historical myths that the Nazis were superior to the world in their technology. In the first place, the people who were responsible for high quality work in Germany, if they were Nazis, the excellence of their understanding and productions were not a product of their political affiliation. In other cases, and i listed them in detail, the Germans were not in fact responsible for the innovations with which they are now credited, such as sloping armor plate on AFVs. Additionally, most of these "Gee, weren't the Nazis great ? ! ? ! ?" bullshit ignores the failure of their systems. The Tiger and Panther tanks were superior, one on one to other tanks, when they got to the field of battle. However, they ate up their own tracks so quickly (usually about 250 km), and tore up roads so badly, that they were routinely transported to the operational areas by railroad. That meant in Russia that operations were severely hampered by the lack of transport, and in France it meant they were sitting ducks for the RAF and the USAAF, who didn't have air superiority, they had air supremacy. Furthermore, the Tiger and Panther tanks were expensive and slow to manufacture, and required a great deal of highly skilled maintenance to keep them in combat. The Germans produced a few thousand of them. The Americans produced more than 50,000 Sherman tanks, and the Russians produced more than 70,000 of their T-series tanks.

So, almost every claim about the superiority of the Nazis/Germans is a disingenuous claim, when it is not an outright lie. My point is to point out these things, to point out that the modern historical myths by which people attempt to burnish the Nazi reputation are just that, myths.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 09:25 pm
...it would be far more interesting to see some posts about German/Japanese "superiority" in relation to other nations in almost every subject one can think off, from science to philosophy to art and music, instead of getting this bullshit crap about some demented Nazi wacos long past gone...the truth is that if it was n´t for some German scientists like Wernher Magnus Maximilian von Braun and the Moon would still be a realm for poets and dreamers...that, the bomb, jets, and much more...to each its own !

(Speaking in Tanks their latest is at this very moment the best in the world, Panzerhaubitze 2000)

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 09:42 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 01:48 am
Just to get back specifically to the "Hitler factor" rather than "Germany", recent BBC programmes have pointed out that Hitler's bias towards offense left "non-offensive developments" as the poor relations in terms of funding. Also Hitler's policy (or indolence) favouring "divide and rule" meant that duplicated research projects were wastefully jockeying for recognition . Add to the mix the unreliability of slave-labour from "non-Aryans", and you have a recipe for slipping to "runner-up" despite disconcerting German advances in science and technology at that time.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 02:21 am
@fresco,
I once read a sci-fi short story where someone goes back in time to assassinate Hitler, only to find that the Nazis win the war. His desire to micro-manage screwed up a lot of plans. His insistance on 'no surrender, no retreat,' meant the capture of thousands of soldiers at Stalingrad alone.

On D day they had to wait for Hitler to wake up so that they could ask his permission to move tanks.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 03:18 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

On D day they had to wait for Hitler to wake up so that they could ask his permission to move tanks.

The reason simply was that Hitler didn't think it was a real invasion but just a mock attack ... and that even still days afterwards.
Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 03:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
In English we would say a diversionary attack. He believed that the "real" invasion would come in the Pas de Calais, because he wanted to believe that, and the allied intelligence services did everything they could to convince him that that's where the "real" invasion would come. They even had Patton driving around England sending out radio messages to a, at that time, mythical army.
farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 04:16 am
@Setanta,
and inflatable tanks, tell em about the inflatable tanks.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 04:23 am
@farmerman,
... and then there was the FUSAG, the First United States Army Group ... Wink
Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 09:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
No, no, no, no . . . FUSAG was addressed to Hitler personally, and it means F*ck You, silly ass German.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 10:05 am
This is not a thread I could bear to read through, but let me askk: has anyone discussed the significance of VW (including its slave-labor)?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 10:05 am
This is not a thread I could bear to read through, but let me ask: has anyone discussed the significance of VW (including its slave-labor)?
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 04:09 pm
@Lightwizard,
Not an accurate statement, You clearly limit your own intellectual capabilities by locking down on the concept of singular attitudal personas.
There is no human alive who is of the one attitude, drive, aggression and will towards change, arrive from internal conflict about comprehension of issues. Otherwise the maniac you describe could not have managed to convince any-others of his motives.

Quote.
"he has virtually no other facets to his personality except the meglomaniacal desire to conquer the world. A one-trick-pony if there ever was one."

Was he good for the world?
Yes... If today is at all more pleasing than then, which in some senses it is, it allowed the world to wake up. Though only a complete change in history would alert you to that fact... The knowledge level that covert and governmental systems were reaching at that time, meant a criticality was definite at some point. Given that mankind ignores the powerful, as evidenced, until the knock at their own proverbial door.

If The 'undesirables' were expelled and died of their own wanderings, you would agree and there would be slight difference in the world. (I coin a phrase of the time and before for the purposes of this post) How that amounts to perpetuating genocidal amusement with 'pig nose' or similar is beyond me.
0 Replies

Nick98

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 07:04 am
@Craven de Kere,
Adolf Hitler - The revenge of Jesus Christ
Nick98

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 07:06 am
Adolf Hitler was The REVENGE of Jesus Christ
Setanta

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 09:57 am
@Nick98,
So, you're, like, a disgusting racist son of a bitch, huh?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 11:59 am
@Nick98,
Nick98 wrote:

Adolf Hitler - The revenge of Jesus Christ

considering how Hitler met his end I'd call that pretty piss poor revenge there, Goober
0 Replies

FuckHitler

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 10:10 am
@Craven de Kere,
**** hitler@@@@!!@@!!!!
0 Replies