Plane Crashes into Building in Austin, Texas

Irishk

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:14 pm
@ossobuco,
He was definitely a nutjob. Feelings of persecution from just about everyone his whole adult life. I feel for his family and his victims and wish them peace where they can find it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 07:00 am
@gungasnake,
Hey, gungasnake,
Yes, according to ABC News (you know, that commie organization Laughing ) is reporting that the We the People Foundation, Stormfront.org and several pages dedicated to the pilot on Facebook are calling him a hero of the Patriot Movement.
"
Quote:
He sacrificed his life to inspire the quest for TRUTH," one Facebook poster said. "He deserves a memorial. A one man uprising... God Bless him."
meh. Neutral

But on the 'Official Tea Party Patriots' blog, a member, summit02, comment:
Quote:
"Thank you Joe for your heroism in the fight aganist the evil elites. that are destroying america ."
sic, was met with some derision. One writer, dersh, even saying:
Quote:
" Joe Stack is NO American Hero! Just a sad man who lived his life blaming someone else for his problems. Sound like a typical liberal to me."

Joe(betting dersh hasn't listened to a liberal in years.)Nation

Pamela Rosa

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 07:38 am
Quote:
....IRS Section 1706, defining the treatment of workers (such as contract engineers) for tax purposes. Visit this link for a conference committee report (http://www.synergistech.com/1706.shtml#ConferenceCommitteeReport) regarding the intended interpretation of Section 1706 and the relevant parts of Section 530, as amended. For information on how these laws affect technical services workers and their clients, read our discussion here (http://www.synergistech.com/ic-taxlaw.shtml).

SEC. 1706. TREATMENT OF CERTAIN TECHNICAL PERSONNEL.

(a) IN GENERAL - Section 530 of the Revenue Act of 1978 is amended by adding at the end thereof the following new subsection:

(d) EXCEPTION. - This section shall not apply in the case of an individual who pursuant to an arrangement between the taxpayer and another person, provides services for such other person as an engineer, designer, drafter, computer programmer, systems analyst, or other similarly skilled worker engaged in a similar line of work.

(b) EFFECTIVE DATE. - The amendment made by this section shall apply to remuneration paid and services rendered after December 31, 1986.

Note:

· "another person" is the client in the traditional job-shop relationship.

· "taxpayer" is the recruiter, broker, agency, or job shop.

· "individual", "employee", or "worker" is you.

http://www.synergistech.com/1706.shtml#ConferenceCommitteeReport

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/business/18workers.html

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 08:07 am
Thank you, Pamela. Did you understand from Mr. Stack's letter whether he was upset because he had been denied 'independent contractor status' or that he had been forced into same?

I may have missed it.

Employers save a bunch of time and money by lumping people into contractor status, but it is not always beneficial to the individual.

Joe(their workspace, their phones, their schedule, their goals, {surprise} you don't really work for them)Nation
Pamela Rosa

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 03:11 pm
@Joe Nation,
Taxprof has more about Tax Reform Act 1986 http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2010/02/pilot-deliberately.html#comments
0 Replies

MadJayhawk

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 09:54 pm
The guy obviously was distraught by what he was experiencing with regards to the IRS. Everyone probably has had moments in their lives where everything seemed to be going against you. This guy couldn't handle it and dealt with it in a totally insane fashion.

His family must be really hard hit. The guy is gone. They have to deal with his act the rest of their lives. He probably never considered that. We should pray for them.

Left or right wing? From what I read of what this guy wrote, he leaned far to the left. Other than being unhappy with our government (who isn't these days - only 10% approval rating for congress) the ideas he expressed had little in common with conservative ideology. But absent of any offical findings of a conspiracy of some sort I really don't think that it matters where he was on the political spectrum.

What I do find disgusting is the obvious attempts by some far leftwing groups to use this politically to try to link this man's actions with conservatives without any real proof whatsoever. The people who do this sort of thing after an event like this are despicable. So are the people who call him a hero. We shouldn't be labeling insane people as heroes.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:02 pm
@MadJayhawk,
Everybody, including you, puts a subjective spin on this situation. You don't like it when people call him right wing and seem angry at the ones that did so. Then you engage in the same projections in the same fashion you decry, just turning it to left wing.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:22 pm
No one seems to be fully embracing this guy, MadJayHawk doesn't even use his name. His name was Joe Stack.
I think it's odd that after months of shrillness about the supposed dangers our Republic is in, how "the government" is planning crazy stuff, everything from the confiscation of all guns to internment camps.
How Glenn Beck and Limbaugh can, on a daily basis, more than imply that we are teetering on revolution (to say nothing about the sitting Governor of Texas), with citizens showing up to public gatherings fully armed, that when one, obliviously ill, person takes it upon themselves to strike out at that same "dangerous" "makes me tremble for our Nation" government..... he gets hardly any backslaps from those who have been braying so loudly.

"Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?" And, as soon as four drunken knights did, the back-scrambling began.

Joe(Oh...uh....uh..well... )Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 07:57 am
Does this article connect enough dots?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/opinion/28rich.html?em

Joe(we jist talkin', right?)Nation
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 08:07 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Hey, gungasnake,
Yes, according to ABC News (you know, that commie organization Laughing ) is reporting that the We the People Foundation, Stormfront.org and several pages dedicated to the pilot on Facebook are calling him a hero of the Patriot Movement.
"
Quote:
He sacrificed his life to inspire the quest for TRUTH," one Facebook poster said. "He deserves a memorial. A one man uprising... God Bless him."
meh. Neutral

But on the 'Official Tea Party Patriots' blog, a member, summit02, comment:
Quote:
"Thank you Joe for your heroism in the fight aganist the evil elites. that are destroying america ."
sic, was met with some derision. One writer, dersh, even saying:
Quote:
" Joe Stack is NO American Hero! Just a sad man who lived his life blaming someone else for his problems. Sound like a typical liberal to me."

Joe(betting dersh hasn't listened to a liberal in years.)Nation

Having read his manifesto, I infer that he was mentally unbalanced
and vocally anti-capitalist. He sounded like a leftist nut to me.

David
0 Replies