Plane Crashes into Building in Austin, Texas

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:34 pm
@DrewDad,

i have no idea what visual flight rules are, but shouldn't all pilots be required to file a flight plan before take-off, for security reasons?
DrewDad

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:36 pm
@Region Philbis,
No. Are you required to file a driving plan before you get in your car?

Flight plans are for when visibility is low, and pilots can't see the other planes.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 03:19 pm
@DrewDad,

equating cars with airplanes just doesn't fly...

Wink
DrewDad

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 03:22 pm
@Region Philbis,
They're both privately-owned vehicles operated by a human.

I doubt that filing a flight plan would make the slightest bit of difference when someone is bent on behaving maliciously, in any case.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 03:34 pm
@DrewDad,

true.

although... had it been a requirement, he might have been crazy enough to put down something like

DESTINATION: .nearest IRS building because it's payback time!!.

and the tragedy could have been prevented...
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 03:37 pm
Filing a flight plan is pretty meaningless in cases like this one. There's no way a pilot can be forced to actually adhere to the flight plan he/she has filed.
Pemerson

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 04:03 pm
"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
Joe Stack wrote his life, and he had accomplished a lot. How very tragic, and everybody is happy nobody died. But, there would have been a place for this guy. He just refused to keep on keeping on. Everybody, I'd think, goes thru this phase, of course in differing degrees. We can weather it, anybody can.

Very sad day.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 04:53 pm
There are people on Facebook calling him a patriot.

What a smear on the lives of actual patriots.

Joe (This was an act of right wing terrorism) Nation
dyslexia

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:04 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

There are people on Facebook calling him a patriot.

What a smear on the lives of actual patriots.

bizarre!!!!!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:07 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Oh !!!! On what basis do you assert this was "right wing" ? because he was sore at the IRS ??

That is stooping pretty low in a situation such as this that involves so many obviously unrelated and undisclosed factors.

Mere maudlin - and a bit stupid - posturing, Joe .
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:08 pm
What dyslexia said.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:09 pm
@Joe Nation,
twitter is full of the same type thing, people saying, "i don't approve of his methods but he made a lot of valid points about the government and the irs"

yeah, good points that are completely invalidated by the fact that he was a lunatic
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:10 pm
@georgeob1,
it appears from reading the manifesto he was unhappy with all government
georgeob1

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:11 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Filing a flight plan is pretty meaningless in cases like this one. There's no way a pilot can be forced to actually adhere to the flight plan he/she has filed.

Unless the rules have changed in the last couple of years, a flight plan is required only if (1) the destination airport is different from the departure point and/or (2) if an instrument (bad weather) clearance is required. A VFR flight to and from the same airport doesn't require a flight plan.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:12 pm
@djjd62,
Not everyone who is "unhappy with the government" (or even the IRS) is "right wing".

It was a stupid and tasteless cheap shot.... mostly stupid.
djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:15 pm
@georgeob1,
that's what i was getting at, he seemed to be as mad at the left as the right

like me, an equal opportunity government hater, screw them all
georgeob1

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:18 pm
@djjd62,
It's a sad story in several dimensions, and, like you I suspect, I don't think any of us knows much about the real resons.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:23 pm
I have said many of the same things he said. But, committing murder makes the man no different from and deserving no more sympathy than 911, Tim McVeigh and the rest of those demented bastards. I don't see where his political leaning got mentioned, except that he claimed all politicians were guilty.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:40 pm
@georgeob1,
Paaarrrdon meeeee, I guess I have been recently watching, and listening, to too many of those Tea Party participants to be able to distinguish any difference between what they have been saying and his farewell note full of identical rants.

Tea Partiers are proudly on the right, right? And they are about as angry as this jerk was as they yell “Keep your government hands off my Medicare.” Rolling Eyes

If I was on the right, I wouldn't want the terrorist pilot, or for that matter, the Tea Party, on my side, hence I understand your reluctance to embrace him.

Joe(Also against left wing terrorism which this was not.)Nation
Pemerson

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:47 pm
Well, the guy allowed himself to become demented, insane. A lot of very successful people were once homeless. He didn't have to handle his situation like this, trying to kill other people.
0 Replies