Scouting out guys at the grocery store.

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:07 pm
sozobe wrote:
Von's!

Forgot about Von's.

Nobody else delivers. Plus, my list is not gonna be any better in another store. Miller High life tastes like piss no matter where it comes from.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:09 pm
I like shopping in Trader Joe's but they're a little too expensive for me these days. I go there for low carb baking supplies when I'm in the mood to do some baking.

Beef prices are skyrocketing so I'll probably be cutting way back on that for awhile. Sad I'd kill for an expertly broiled steak. It's literally been years since I had one. Gads, my mouth is drooling just thinking about it.

I don't get the logic behind this price increase in beef. The meat suppliers say it is a case of supply and demand, that they've not been able to import Canadian beef due to the mad cow disease scare and also to the increasing demand due to all the low carb dieters.

So what did they do to meet the demand for beef when everyone in the country was eating steak every night before the big cholesterol scare made folks eat more rabbit food? Why were prices so much lower then?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:10 pm
yeah, I guess youre right k...if you're there and they're there..well..perhaps you are all just needing some more information for the hook up.

Beer delivered from the grocery? Oh yeah...not puritanistic NE area.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:10 pm
patiodog, the farmer's market closes at 2! That's not morning. (Although I will say that I was trying to remember when they closed, and I remembered waking up, showering hurriedly, and dashing off on my bike with wet hair to get stuff before they closed. So I understand. But still!)

Wednesday:

Quote:
Title Dane County Farmers' Market (Wednesdays)
Location Downtown
100-200 blocks of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Madison, WI
Phone 608-424-6714
Web Site http://www.madfarmmkt.org
Time Wednesday, May 7, 2003 8:00 AM -
Wednesday, October 29, 2003 2:00 PM
A Madison tradition! You'll find the season's best bounty of vegetables and homemade, home-grown Wisconsin products, from over 300 participants. Held 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. every week from the first Wednesday in May until the last Wednesday in October. Free and open to the public.

Oh, just one more. There's a winter market too, though that's not the best for produce, obviously.

Quote:
Winter Market 2003-2004
Saturdays, November 15 through December 27 at the Monona Terrace. From January 2 to April 17, 2004, the Market will be at the Senior Center (330 West Mifflin) from 8:00 to noon. The Market moves to the Capitol Square on April 24, 2004.

And the regular market goes til November 8th.

You MUST go to the farmer's market before you are allowed to complain about produce in Madison anymore. (Gustav's style is catching.) It's like someone in Boston complaining about not being able to find a pub. Or someone in NYC complianing about lack of delis. This is what Madison is KNOWN for. Well that and flamingoes and the statue of liberty emerging from the frozen lake. No? Then it IS the farmer's market.

Rant over.

(Rant emerging from the brain of someone who was really, really grumpy about leaving Madison and is the tiniest bit jealous of people who still live there.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:13 pm
quinn1 wrote:
Beer delivered from the grocery?

He he, yep and then the gal cards me and comments again that we are the same age and...
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:14 pm
and...craven nudges the condom off the shelf by accident

hehehe
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:15 pm
K:

Men's thoughts (loosely defined)
Friday is date night in the big city.
Anyone in the store on Friday night is
A) isn't dating. (uh, how come?)
B) doesn't want to date. (hmmm. manhater?)
C) is married (and not foolaroundable Rolling Eyes )
D) is shopping for groceries, (and not me.)

The only men making these observations are
A) losers who don't have a date
B) losers who wouldn't know how to say 'Boo' to a woman
in a public place, like a bar, or oh.... a grocery store.
C) the guy who was sent in by the two others in the truck to get more beer.
D) the guy who was sent in by his mother with whom he still lives to get more,,,, well whatever. Cool

Has the line "Hey, you're here again." worked?

Hell.
Worked for me.
Worked on me.
Worked against me.

Wait, how many times have I been married>>>>>>>>>>?

:wink: Joe
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:16 pm
Craven,

I just noted on the Safeway website they have an affiliates program so I sent the details to you in a PM. You can make some money for A2K off of my orders if you hook them up with the portal.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:18 pm
sigh
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:18 pm
That's kind of a depressing analysis, Joe. Didja know that?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:19 pm
Who's complaining about produce in Madison? Produce in Madison is great, and cheaper than it was in Seattle (even if it comes from Washington). I've got no beef whatsoever with Madison produce. Hell, it's great at Cub Foods. Produce in Chicago, on the other hand, sucked, especially if you didn't have money to burn.

fluttberby -- the beef industry can't respond quickly to demand pressures. It takes a long time to breed and raise cattle. They can't just say, "Oh, Canadian beef's failed. We'd better make some more." They might have more in three or four years.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:00 pm
Oh. I thought you had been complaining about Madison produce a few times. Now I'm not sure why. I get that you were talking about Chi-town re: Jewel. Now. Heh.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:06 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Craven,

I just noted on the Safeway website they have an affiliates program so I sent the details to you in a PM. You can make some money for A2K off of my orders if you hook them up with the portal.

Just saw this, and got your PM, they already are in the portal along with a few other services. Cool
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:06 pm
There are more cows in Alberta than people (pop 4 million). One cow devistated the market north and south of the border.
Cattlemen were getting $.30 per pound and retail - safeway was still selling cuts for double digits per pound. I heard a spokesman for the retail industry say, they had done a survey and found that consumers didn't like fluctuating prices. I think we can all see through this one. Prices don't reflect the true reality just the profit margin of greedy outlets.
At least that is the Canadian reality.
Ceili
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:08 pm
The price of meat in the US is artificial.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:31 am
I think relating K's search for a man to the price of meat is disgustingly sexist, and anyone holding that view ought to be..... oh, wait, some of ya'll are actually talking about beef as opposed to beefcake. Embarrassed

I don't mean to be depressing, Roger. I am naturally cynical. (and a little snide.) Having said that: we, by that I mean my wife and I, have some wonderful, single women friends, They are, without exception, bright, have good jobs, make interesting conversation and, in the last nine years, have had a dismal record of success in meeting men. I will spare you the gory details.

I stand by what I said, Friday is date night. Good night for shopping, bad night for man shopping. The successes here (NYC) have occurred when the two meet in some neutral setting, an office, a deli, an open air market, and the date is made for the next Friday, usually, only for a drink.
The rest follows no set pattern. Dates for just walking around are just as popular as the 'meet at the thai noodle place' and 'meet at the big, bookstore' dates. It's important to see a potential mate out in the sunlight, isn't it? And see if he can carry on a conversation about something besides himself (and see if the seeker can do the same in regard to herself -- always good.)

Regarding the price of beef, would it be helpful if men did wear tags. "Emotionally wounded, but recovering," "Secret smoker." "No apparent flaws." "Prime stock, no takers, what's up with that?" It would be demeaning sure, but think of the time saved.

Joe
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:41 am
net shopping for FOOD? what is with that?

Food shopping is fun! It is sensual - fruit and vegies - smells and sounds...other shops...bookshops.....catching up with friends....
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:44 am
grocery shopping is BORING !!!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:49 am
It's only boring when all you see is the same old crap. To actually make a culinary discovery on your shopping journies is quite exciting. I have to admit though, I do use net shopping for very large parties, as they deliver to my door, saving my back and legs, and I can choose my time. Makes it easy to schedule my timing for prep.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:50 am
dlowan wrote:
net shopping for FOOD? what is with that?

Sorta like what my old man said about shopping for furniture on the 'net... "I'm not going to buy a sofa I haven't put my butt in first."
0 Replies