spendius

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 04:13 am
@failures art,
Quote:
Let spendi work himself into a froth.

I'm in no sort of froth fa. It is having recourse to meaningless smears of that sort which would put me off following you down any pathway. It insults the intelligence of A2Kers that you must think such things will weigh with them. It is a commonplace that atheists believe themselves to be more intelligent than the rest of us. How otherwise can they trot out unfounded assertions as often as they do. Im not telling you that such things will turn others off. I'm telling you that they turn me off atheists as also does using Ignore and trying to bully people off the thread. Those who take your remark to mean that I have actually worked myself into a froth can shift for themselves.

Quote:
Keeping with the original thread premise, I had a thought about how media has failed to ever show something which I think is crucial to atheists being accepted.

There's Spock. Dr Stangelove. Yogi Bear.

Quote:
Can anyone think of an atheist family in a movie or television series?

It would be intellectually inadmissable, an extended solecism, if by "family" you mean Ma and Pa and some kids (2.1 say) because such a definition of family is a Christian one. There's Witches of Eastwick if you want to use other definitions of family. Rosemary's Baby. Tom and Jerry. Brave New World. There's probably a lot. The Dick van Dyke show.

Thanks for the soft lob that sits up after bouncing on the intersection of the service lines. Alfie. But I'm not an expert on that sort of thing. An expert would have 6-love, 6-love, 6-love next to his name in short order I think.

The Russ Meyer ouvre.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 04:51 am
I see occasional references to atheism in TV series. Most notable, lately, is Brian, off the Family Guy show. He is greatly persecuted for it, in one episode. In a different storyline, he meets an atheist girl. They hit it off, then the storyline jumps away from that as a theme.

Meathead, of All in the Family, was also atheist.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 05:40 am
Quote:
Chocolat is easily catagorized as just another "chick flick", but it even more easily captures you in it's magic and ambiance. The lead played by Juliette Binoche and her daughter are outsiders in their new home. To gain acceptance they appeal to the towns people's earthly happiness in direct defiance of the church. It is hard to like the church when their are so many delicable treats that come without guilt.

At least that is upfront about the "delicable treats" which I am arguing is the true source of most atheism. The question is--what does 301 million engaging in "delicable treats" look like with the foot on the gas which is the obvious way to drive such a bus. It is easy to get hating the Church when it is inhibiting indulgence in "delicable treats" and is reluctant to define what they consist of for fear of putting ideas into people's heads.

John Lennon said that the thought of what his money could buy in New York frightened him.
0 Replies

panzade

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:34 am
Quote:
John Lennon said that the thought of what his money could buy in New York frightened him.

He should have been afraid of what money couldn't buy him.
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:47 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

How would we know? We can't look into their heads. So there's no way of telling if the family we're seing consists of atheists, or if they just don't happen to go to church while the cameras are on.

... and now that I'm digging around in my TV memory, I couldn't think of a hardcore Southern Baptist family either.
aidan

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:55 am
@Thomas,
I bet The Waltons were Southern Baptist (if not Methodist).
aidan

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:18 am
@aidan,
Quote:
Actors: Ralph Waite, Andrew Duggan (pilot)
Profile: The family patriarch, John is a hard-working, industrious man who runs a small family sawmill on his acreage at the base of Walton's Mountain. He is normally very good-natured and wise, and is fearless, ready to stand up to a challenge and tell it like it is. These personality traits sometimes cause him to be very brash, even towards his children and wife on occasion, and he is prone to falling into the mindset of a workaholic when greatly stressed. He is a World War I veteran. Despite his Baptist upbringing, John is somewhat non-religious (the main point of contention in a few episodes) in contrast to his wife, Olivia. The pilot episode indicates that he dies in the year 1969, although the final reunion movie indicates he is still alive and apparently healthy in 1970.

Olivia Walton
Actresses: Michael Learned (Seasons 1–8), Patricia Neal (pilot)
Profile: While John is the tough-skinned, opinionated husband, Olivia is his soft-spoken, patient and loving wife. She is gentle by nature, but firm and unafraid to speak up or administer discipline when needed. Like Grandma, she is a devout Baptist who is often immersed in activities involving the church. This element of her character is probably one of the reasons why Olivia is usually the first person to take in a friend or stranger in need. It should be mentioned that Olivia's background and heritage were never really examined closely in the series, whereas John's was often observed in great detail, and was a plot element on a number of occasions.
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:24 am
@aidan,
I've never seen the Waltons. Thanks for the pointer!
dyslexia

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:00 am
@Thomas,
"The Waltons" equates to a great amerian mythology, yes life was good during the depression, you could raise a dozen children all with full bellies and smiley faces because you were an honest hard working man. (and provide for granny and grandpa as well.) Throw in just enough anecdotes that are remembered (thought distorted) and the modern family could pine for the good old days.
Quite possibly as bogus as "Little House on the Prairie". Yes the local doc accepted a chicken in payment for setting John's broken arm. god serves those that serves themselves.'
http://0.tqn.com/d/history1900s/1/0/a/gd45.gif
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:11 am
@failures art,
Quote:

To which Thomas responded--

Quote:
How would we know? We can't look into their heads. So there's no way of telling if the family we're seing consists of atheists, or if they just don't happen to go to church while the cameras are on.

That's your atheist company for you fa. He'll be telling you next that Kirk Douglas wasn't trapped in that cave because he had a camera team and lighting technicians in there with him all on 4 hour shifts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:23 am
I mentioned Mike of All in the Family being an atheist. They did not spend that much time on the topic most of the time, but one episode had Archie trying to sneak Mike's baby out of the house to be baptized. I believe the priest turned him down. Archie sprinkled the baby anyway, in his own private ceremony.
0 Replies

littlek

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:25 pm
There are a lot of tv characters who simply don't go to church, or mention church, or pray at the dinner table, etc.

Funny about The Waltons. I never would have guessed it, but it fits now that I hear it.
0 Replies

panzade

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:53 pm
I'm not sure who is allowed to post here and what we're allowed to discuss but in any case...
I find House to be an interesting atheistic character on TV

Quote:
Sister Mary Augustine: Why is it so difficult for you to believe in God?

Gregory House: What I have difficulty with is the whole concept of belief. Faith isn’t based on logic and experience.

Augustine: I experience God on a daily basis, and the miracle of life all around. The miracle of birth, the miracle of love. He is always with me.

House: Where is the miracle in delivering a crack-addicted baby? Hmmm? And watching her mother abandon her because she needs another score. The miracle of love. You’re twice as likely to be killed by the person you love than by a stranger.

Augustine: Are you trying to talk me out of my faith?

House: You can have all the faith you want in spirits and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don’t be an idiot. ‘Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.

Augustine: I don’t believe He is inside me and is going to save me. I believe He is inside me whether I live or die.

House: Then you might as well live. You’ve got a better shot betting on me than on Him.

Augustine: When I was 15, I was on every kind of birth control known to man, and I still got pregnant. I blamed God. I hated Him for ruining my life, but then I realized something. You can’t be angry with God and not believe in him at the same time. No one can. Not even you, Dr. House.
ossobuco

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:10 pm
@hingehead,
Yes, I have friends there. I'm not interested in whaling at their takes on things. I live now in the southwest, all the land full of spiritual wonder. That to me is for needs of others. The land, to me, is engaging for itself.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree, Eb.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:30 pm
Hello, folks,
http://www.theatricum.com/

I have no idea what that place is up to now. Very respected in my day.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:04 pm
@panzade,
House seems pretty popular. I have never seen it, though.
ossobuco

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:06 pm
@panzade,
You can post, honey. Don't take up a dozen pages. I say that annoyingly, as we tend to agree. Ack, I say kiddingly.
0 Replies

hingehead

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
If you ever were going to get familiar with start at series one to grasp the characters.

Hugh Laurie amazes me. How he can be George from Black Adder and Gregory P. House (and a musician and a novelist) makes me feel wholly inadequate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Laurie
edgarblythe

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:16 pm
@hingehead,
His list of awards is impressive.
0 Replies