Frank Apisa

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 09:59 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Now that that is straightened out, I will back off from these fruitless conversations, unless you directly address me. If you do, not having evidence from you will disqualify the post from an answer.

What evidence is needed to confirm either at least one god exists...or none exist?

What is your problem here, Edgar?

Jasper10

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 10:29 am
@ekename,
One has to be persuaded that the bible is true.Once one is persuaded then no evidence is required.
Frank Apisa

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 10:32 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

One has to be persuaded that the bible is true.Once one is persuaded then no evidence is required.One comes into the realisation that the internal debate (is there a God/Isn’t there a God?) just cancels itself out and doesn’t give you any proof one way or the other.All one is left with is hope that either God exists or not.This is how it is so forget thinking you are going to get any evidence.All this burden of proof stuff is nonsense.Is the burden of what I say going to come back on me? What burden? I am persuaded that what the bible says is true and hope in it.I have learnt something about how the internal debate pans out.

Now you may be getting it, Jasper.

NOTHING wrong with you being persuaded that the Bible is exactly what Christians say it is.

But if you assert that it is...as opposed to asserting that YOU think it is...

...THEN a burden of proof occurs.

What you are asserting now (as opposed to earlier)...is that you think such and such.

As I said...no problem there.
eurocelticyankee

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 10:37 am
@Jasper10,
I would love to know how you can be persuaded without evidence.
edgarblythe

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 10:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
You know exactly what the problem is. You want to promote belief while claiming you don't. But you have no evidence. Conversation ended.
Jasper10

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 11:29 am
@Frank Apisa,
My views have not changed Frank.I am persuaded that my God does exist and I don’t require evidence to confirm this.
coldjoint

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 11:34 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Quote:
I would love to know how you can be persuaded without evidence.

You are kidding, right? Take a look around.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 11:42 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

You know exactly what the problem is. You want to promote belief while claiming you don't. But you have no evidence. Conversation ended.

You know I am correct in what I have said...and you do not have the ethical wherewithal to acknowledge that I am correct...or that you are wrong.

Fine.

Go ask any logician at any university if the statement "Either at least one god exists...or no gods exist" requires a proof.

You won't do it, because you realize that it doesn't. If a matter is either X or not-X (which some things like the issue at hand...are)...then simply stating it is enough.

I didn't realize how lacking in integrity you are until this conversation, Edgar. You ought to go back and read some of those quotes you posted in your quotation thread...the thread I recently revived.

They might help you understand your behavior.
Frank Apisa

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 11:43 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

My views have not changed Frank.I am persuaded that my God does exist and I don’t require evidence to confirm this.

I just agreed that you do not.

Are you arguing against yourself again???
Jasper10

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 12:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank ..As I keep saying, no evidence will be given as to wether there is or isn’t a God.Forget the evidence factor, it’s gone....You’re wasting your time pursuing this and insisting that there is a burden on someone (in any scenario),there isn’t. Initially,one can only hope that God exists or doesn’t exist depending on one’s stance.One can be persuaded that he does exist without the need for evidence to confirm this.
Frank Apisa

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 01:00 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

Frank ..As I keep saying, no evidence will be given as to wether there is or isn’t a God.Forget the evidence factor, it’s gone....You’re wasting your time pursuing this and insisting that there is a burden on someone (in any scenario),there isn’t. Initially,one can only hope that God exists or doesn’t exist depending on one’s stance.One can be persuaded that he does exist without the need for evidence to confirm this.

Jasper...I am not asking for proof that there is a god...or proof that there are no gods.

Of course, that proof cannot be given.

You are now saying that you hope a god exists. Fine with me...hope away.

But if you assert "There is a god" then you WILL BEAR THE BURDEN OF PROOF.

As long as you are not asserting that...I am not asking for proof.
Jasper10

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 01:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No I don’t bear any burden Frank.I am persuaded that God exists without evidence.Even if I wanted to provide evidence, no evidence will be given as to whether god exists or not.There is no burden on me whatsoever.
Frank Apisa

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 02:22 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

No I don’t bear any burden Frank.I am persuaded that God exists without evidence.Even if I wanted to provide evidence, no evidence will be given as to whether god exists or not.There is no burden on me whatsoever.

Jasper...IF YOU ASSERT THERE IS A GOD...

...you bear a burden of proof for that assertion.

Really. Just think about it.

IF YOU ASSERT THERE IS A GOD...

...that assertion causes a burden for proof.
Jasper10

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 03:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank I don’t bear any burden because no evidence is given one way or the other.There is no evidence to give.
Leadfoot

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 03:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Go ask any logician at any university if the statement "Either at least one god exists...or no gods exist" requires a proof.

Yeah, same logic as 'either the rabbit is alive or the rabbit is not alive'.

My problem with it is that your statement carries no information.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 03:48 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

Frank I don’t bear any burden because no evidence is given one way or the other.There is no evidence to give.

Jasper, if you make an assertion...you bear a burden of proof.

If there is no evidence...don't make the assertion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 03:55 pm
Why does our atheism thread have to host this crap?
Frank Apisa

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 04:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Why does our atheism thread have to host this crap?

Since you are a regular participant to the "crap"...

...why are you asking?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 04:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Why does an atheism thread have to host this crap?

It's an open board. All are allowed to be here. If you're searching for all atheism all the time boards, they are out there.

Your irritation is in the same vein as the way many people were irritated by atheists going into the various religion/God threads.

It sucks, I admit to that. Life is what it is and it isn't always what we want.
edgarblythe

Mon 13 Jul, 2020 04:15 pm
@Sturgis,
I know all of that. Why does a couple of people have to be so rude as to hijack this thread?
0 Replies