edgarblythe

Thu 21 May, 2020 09:56 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Downthumber thinks suppressing posts makes themself more forceful, but actually reinforces their own patheticism.

Vindictive and close minded.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 21 May, 2020 10:06 am
@livinglava,
God is aledgedly the creator of the universe. He can create as much power as he wants. But now you're saying your "omnipotent" god couldn't possibly stop Hitler. Therefore he was less powerful than Hitler, who himself was I think (correct me if I'm wrong) NOT omnipotent...

Oh look: another logical contradiction! Quelle surprise!
izzythepush

Thu 21 May, 2020 10:11 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't attack people for being agnostic. Or for being deist, actually.

You don’t, others do. It’s not about belief or lack of it it’s about being that sort of person.

Darren Brown is like that. I used to be quite a fan. He is an exceptional magician. One Father’s Day The kid bought me his book. I was really looking forward to reading it.

I thought, quite understandably, it would be about his career as a magician. The front cover and the blurb certainly gave that impression.

It was nothing of the sort, just a tirade about how Atheism. I felt ripped off, and The Kid was devastated.

One of the lines which stand out was that he doubted anyone would believe he used to be an evangelical Christian. Not me, it was blindingly obvious he went from being a Christian who thought he knew better than everyone else to being an Atheist who still thinks he knows better than everyone else.

Some people are like that.
edgarblythe

Thu 21 May, 2020 10:13 am
@izzythepush,
You can pick out such individuals from all sides. That a is b does not follow that a is necessarily also c.
izzythepush

Thu 21 May, 2020 10:23 am
@edgarblythe,
I know, it was a comment on Derek Brown and those like him, (not Atheists.)
Leadfoot

Thu 21 May, 2020 10:31 am
Quote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Downthumber thinks suppressing posts makes themself more forceful, but actually reinforces their own patheticism.

Vindictive and close minded.

Yeah, just like those 'blockers' who think they are really stick'n it to'em.

Course I guess you can’t see this. huh..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 21 May, 2020 11:45 am
@izzythepush,
I know you are knowledgeable enough to know the obvious, but the retards are not.
0 Replies

vikorr

Thu 21 May, 2020 03:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
It's my belief that as a territorial animal, which is what we have to be to be racist and fight neverending wars as we indisputably do, those who are deists fall into the trap of defending the imagination, a territory as large as the mind can stretch it. At a primal level they perceive that atheism is an attack on their territory - religion - and they feel compelled to make war on atheists out of fear that we will take away this sacred territory.

It could be. Though I read somewhere that racism is driven by our genetics, and in particular by:
A. our need to be part of a society (Family groups / clans / societies were necessary to survival, so it became genetically part of our make up); and

B. our need to have similar people around us (Societies that were cohesive (similar), were the ones that survived the inter-society competitions, so that became part of our makeup). ; and

C. the drive for a pecking order in society (The alphas survived better than the betas within the society, so people competed, and it became part of our makeup)

The reason it said this drives racism is:
- people with visible differences trigger B (other societies were a threat prior to societies learning to cooperate, and It alleges we haven't completely got rid of this fear gene)
- Of people who give in to this fear (triggered by B), the ones most likely to act on it are the bottom of the pecking order (of C) - in order to place someone, or some group below them in the pecking order (I guess in cases like Hitler, targeting the 'other society' allowed him to control the masses at the bottom of the pecking order)

I think I got that right. It certainly seemed a reasonable explanation to me (it was of course, much more detailed than that, though I don't recall now, the source)

The argument could of course be applied to "feelings of discomfort towards anyone with too many differences (whether ideas, looks, or other differences)"
edgarblythe

Thu 21 May, 2020 04:07 pm
@vikorr,
It could be explained like that and still be tied to the territorial drive. I don't see a big conflict.
vikorr

Thu 21 May, 2020 04:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
True enough. I think I phrased things incorrectly, directly after I said "It could be"
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 21 May, 2020 04:15 pm
@vikorr,
I remember a book about the various groups in the Middle East in Biblical times, Sumerians, Hittites, Assyrians, Egyptians, etc. They all looked very different, and would dress and style their hair to accentuate the differences meaning they could tell from a distance if someone was friend or foe.

There were good reasons for it then, but not any more.
vikorr

Thu 21 May, 2020 04:36 pm
@izzythepush,
I rather agree.

And after reading that concept on the reasons for racism, I realised why 'birds of a feather flocked together' was so true, and also that people were uncomfortable with obvious differences (unless overcome with knowledge/acceptance of similarities).

The level of 'discomfort' though (and what contributes to it), appears to be a much more complicated thing.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 21 May, 2020 11:52 pm
@vikorr,
I agree but would add D. Eons of Darwinian (competitive) survival and reproduction, which gives a premium to kin solidarity.
knaivete

Fri 22 May, 2020 12:15 am
To theorise about tribalism is akin to cracking the nut with a sledge hammer.

Maybe believers just don't like being told that they are delusional.
peacecrusader888

Fri 22 May, 2020 05:09 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
We’re all fucked.

What do you mean by "we"?

It is not late yet. As long as the spirit is in the physical body, you can change. Once you die, that is it.

If you were to believe in a god, be sure that it is the true God. How do we know the true God. It is easy, plain, and simple. And logical too.

Not only is He omnipotent and omnipresent, He is also omniscient. Omniscient. That means, he knows everything, including what happened in the past and what will happen in the future.
izzythepush

Fri 22 May, 2020 05:10 am
@peacecrusader888,
Everyone else seemed to understand what I meant.
peacecrusader888

Fri 22 May, 2020 05:25 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Everyone else seemed to understand what I meant.

Is this a forum for atheists?

edgarblythe

Fri 22 May, 2020 05:26 am
@knaivete,
knaivete wrote:

To theorise about tribalism is akin to cracking the nut with a sledge hammer.

Maybe believers just don't like being told that they are delusional.

That wouldn't explain why they attack without being first attacked.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 22 May, 2020 05:56 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I agree but would add D. Eons of Darwinian (competitive) survival and reproduction, which gives a premium to kin solidarity.

So which is dominate? Your power to agree or 'Eons of Darwinism'?
izzythepush

Fri 22 May, 2020 06:22 am
@peacecrusader888,
It’s a forum for people who wish to discuss Atheism. I thought that was obvious.

If your Spirit of Ama knows the future then why is it so vague? Why does it keep claiming things may happen only for them to never happen?

Anyone can do that, actually I have done better, on two occasions when your Spirit claimed WW3 May happen I said it definitely wouldn’t.

I was right, it was wrong, and I’m not claiming to be God, but in light of evidence I’m far more likely to be God than that huckster snake oil salesman.

I’m not God, not making any claims of the sort.
0 Replies